• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

- characters lack charisma
- copying a game that thrives on having charismatic characters
- looks dated

half the fun of smash is that you're playing as iconic characters in famous stages with all your friends who don't game. Where is the fun in playing a game that thrives heavily on a social atmosphere when all your friends playing it will feel polarized by seeing bald space marines as characters?

Maybe the game doesn't have to be predicated on nostalgia and characters that everyone knows, like a lot of games. Most of smash is recognizable, doesn't make them charismatic. We haven't even seen all the characters in this game to really tell if the game isn't as charming, but there are a few already on the roster. Also I don't see any bald space marines or whatever, characters like parapa and sly definitely are par for the course for this kind of game. All the extra stuff should take a backseat to the mechanics/gameplay anyways.

Vidiot

How could anyone lump Sly into the bald space marines category? He's a fantastic "charismatic" character that stands up to some of Nintendo's finest. ZIG ZAG VOODOO! :mad:

Izick

How could anyone lump Sly into the bald space marines category? He's a fantastic "charismatic" character that stands up to some of Nintendo's finest. ZIG ZAG VOODOO! :mad:

Fuck. I really need to play those games. It's kind of weird, because I never had a PS1, and I really didn't play shit on my PS2 besides the MGS games, and I still am really interested and curious about this game.

Equus Bellator Apex

Why is it so hard for people to imagine people grew up on playstation consoles? I grew up playing GT, Parappa, Spryo, Jak, etc. Those characters mean a lot more to me than Mario and friends. I LOVE smash, but this is the game I've been dreaming about since I first got a PS1.

(._.)

Banned
I would argue that many of Sony's characters have just as much "charisma" and are as likeable as Nintendo's.

Crash was amazing in the PSX days. Parappa is amazing. Kratos is amazing, haters be damned, I love the guy. Jak and Daxter are the best duo in gaming since Mario and Luigi.

Also, do fighting games seem dated now? Don't quite get that argument, since Nintendo will be releasing another Smash Bros game soon I doubt you would call it "dated".
None of these characters are iconic except maybe one or two and they don't resonate with most people. I like Parappa, Sweet Tooth, and Crash. However they don't have enough star power to carry a game which is supposed to really please the party genre players as much as the ones into that arcade combat. It's also arguable if you can rope this kinda game into the fighting game genre. The last Smash Bros was a major let down so I wont hold my breath on the next one being great. It will end up carrying itself though with the great roster and stages.

What? It's not like it's just the Killzone Helghast guy in the game. Are you telling me that every single character in Smash or Brawl were "charismatic?" Gannon was charismatic? Some characters just work better as subdued and just "cool." The Helghast isn't supposed to be some flamboyant dude; he's just a warrior. The game needs balance of personalities, just like SSB.

I don't know how it looks dated. It's not Uncharted but it looks pretty damn good for what it is.

EDIT: Was going to mention Parappa, but people already got it down.
I saw some guy is black armor from the killzone game. A bit of a generalization on my part seeing as he does look cooler than most enemies in most FPS games. Either way no way can the c-tier characters in a game like this be made up of characters like him. Gannon is far more iconic than all but maybe 3 people I saw in that video I just watched. Also Smash has so many famous guys to choose from it's crazy.

Game looked dated in terms of it looking exactly like the last Smash Bros' gameplay. If they were gonna make a game like this I think something more like MvC would fit their roster better.

Vidiot

Fuck. I really need to play those games. It's kind of weird, because I never had a PS1, and I really didn't play shit on my PS2 besides the MGS games, and I still am really interested and curious about this game.

Get the HD collection for PS3. All great games and then you'll want to get 4 when it comes out. :)

Izick

R3hrc.jpg

Izick

Get the HD collection for PS3. All great games and then you'll want to get 4 when it comes out. :)

Yeah, I'm going to have to do that. I picked up a PS3 last summer and I have a ton of catching up to do exclusive wise.

I saw some guy is black armor from the killzone game. A bit of a generalization on my part seeing as he does look cooler than most enemies in most FPS games. Either way no way can the c-tier characters in a game like this be made up of characters like him. Gannon is far more iconic than all but maybe 3 people I saw in that video I just watched. Also Smash has so many famous guys to choose from it's crazy.

Game looked dated in terms of it looking exactly like the last Smash Bros' gameplay. If they were gonna make a game like this I think something more like MvC would fit their roster better.

Okay, first of all, he's like the main villain I think of the Killzone games. I've never played them, but someone corrected me on that. The Killzone Helghast are iconic, whether you like it or not. Are they as iconic as anything near Nintendo? Likely not, but they're still iconic images for the PS2, and more for the PS3. Either way, iconic doesn't equal charismatic. Ganon is more iconic because he's been in gaming for like 25 years now, with games with him coming out on a consistent basis.

What the argument is going to boil down it is "Sony characters vs Nintendo characters" which is dumb. Of course Nintendo characters are going to be more iconic. Nintendo equals gaming for a large majority of people out there, and they have been in the business way longer. Why not just let this game play out and see how it goes down? What if it plays awesome? Are you still going to dislike it because Parappa isn't as iconic as Kirby? It's just kind of a dumb reason to dislike a game.

Loudninja

Yeah, I'm going to have to do that. I picked up a PS3 last summer and I have a ton of catching up to do exclusive wise.

Okay, first of all, he's like the main villain I think of the Killzone games. I've never played them, but someone corrected me on that. The Killzone Helghast are iconic, whether you like it or not. Are they as iconic as anything near Nintendo? Likely not, but they're still iconic images for the PS2, and more for the PS3. Either way, iconic doesn't equal charismatic. Ganon is more iconic because he's been in gaming for like 25 years now, with games with him coming out on a consistent basis.

What the argument is going to boil down it is "Sony characters vs Nintendo characters" which is dumb. Of course Nintendo characters are going to be more iconic. Nintendo equals gaming for a large majority of people out there, and they have been in the business way longer. Why not just let this game play out and see how it goes down? What if it plays awesome? Are you still going to dislike it because Parappa isn't as iconic as Kirby? It's just kind of a dumb reason to dislike a game.
He is a KZ2 villain and is was awesome. :)

Izick

I just hate when people equate when a game like this announces a character that is lesser known to reaching; like they're running out of characters.

Let's be honest. Besides hardcore assholes like us, who would have given a fuck about Marth or Roy in Smash, or Olimar in Brawl? Just because it's someone that is lesser known, or isn't known as a fighter (i.e. Fat Princess) doesn't mean they can't be an awesome character, or that the designers thought that they'd make for a great character.

SSReborn

I personally don't see why people would let whether a games characters are known, or not known detract from a game. If this were a new IP then no character would be known and the characters would have to speak through there gameplay. So I don't get why because these characters are based off of existing IP's they can't be judged from a gameplay perspective as well.

Izick

I personally don't see why people would let whether a games characters are known, or not known detract from a game. If this were a new IP then no character would be known and the characters would have to speak through there gameplay. So I don't get why because these characters are based off of existing IP's they can't be judged from a gameplay perspective as well.

Basically it comes down to if people dislike the Sony brand as a whole or not. If they hate the PS systems, it's likely they're going to hate the game, no matter how many Slys or Parappas.

SSReborn

Basically it comes down to if people dislike the Sony brand as a whole or not. If they hate the PS systems, it's likely they're going to hate the game, no matter how many Slys or Parappas.

I hear that which then I'd assume would make them hate the new IP as well because it would be Sony branded too. It just overall seems like a silly reason to write off a game.

Ah, I see the complaining about Sony not having characters as iconic or charismatic as Nintendo's and that they shouldn't do this game has come rolling back into this thread. To quote the boss from 5 or so pages back.

there's a bitch thread somewhere, you should find it. ta-ta

Loudninja

Really I think the way you KO is simply great.

You cannot sit back in this game and wait ,you have to actively participate in the fight and kick ass or you wont win.

hatmoza

Looking forward to new level reveals. I would love to see a SotC level mash-up. Colossi in one of the many gorgeous locations, or even the temple.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Not sure why we continue having this argument, it's such a dead horse at this point.

The only reason why Nintendo's characters would have more "charisma" is because you grew up on them and enjoy their games more because you've personally identified with them. You're free to have that opinion, but nothing about the designs of Sony's arsenal of characters is lacking in the charisma department.

Nintendo has a lot of cute cuddly characters, but they lack the diversity of Sony's IPs. Kratos is probably bigger than almost all of the characters in Smash Bros outside of Mario and maybe Link.

And part of the appeal with Sony's diversity is that you get BATSHIT INSANE match-ups.

Kratos vs. Fat Princess? Two polar opposites, and you won't really find something like that in Smash Bros.

Secondly, if you think the game plays identically to Smash Bros, you obviously have only watched a video and haven't actually comprehended the action that is taking place. This is a much different fighting game at its core.

bakedpony

The Supers-only KOs will definitely minimize "kill-steals" by those that simply wait for other players to whittle down someon'e shealth before striking in.

The characters announced so far aren't the best representation. If Sony manages to nab Lara Croft, Cloud, Snake and Crash (to name a few) then this could hold a fuckton of nostalgia for LOTS of people. Wait and see.

I mean, it looks as serious as SSB is with that I guess. They seem to be doing some really cool stuff with the characters, and the background/stage stuff looks really great.
I like what I hear of the gameplay so far, lots of moves per character and distinct character playstyle. That said, I dont want that rumored character list to come true, thank god that was fake, but if cross promotion is one of the reason this game exist, that character list could really happened. Square has been pushing lightning a lot, would make sense for square to lend lightning for this game instead of cloud.

The rest of the character are all recent character and too, I hope they really pull from old games in a nice balance

I like what I hear of the gameplay so far, lots of moves per character and distinct character playstyle. That said, I dont want that rumored character list to come true, thank god that was fake, but if cross promotion is one of the reason this game exist, that character list could really happened. Square has been pushing lightning a lot, would make sense for square to lend lightning for this game instead of cloud.

The rest of the character are all recent character and too, I hope they really pull from old games in a nice balance

i imagine sony would make concessions the same way that capcom did for marvel: let us put dorammu in and we'll include shitty X23. maybe if sony throws in lightning then square will allow seph or cloud too!

KingK

The Supers-only KOs will definitely minimize "kill-steals" by those that simply wait for other players to whittle down someon'e shealth before striking in.

While I'm still skeptical on the battle system until I play it myself, I do like that aspect you mentioned. One of my friends always plays Kirby in Smash and just floats around avoiding everyone and pisses a lot of people off lol.

KevinCow

Banned
I just hate when people equate when a game like this announces a character that is lesser known to reaching; like they're running out of characters.

Let's be honest. Besides hardcore assholes like us, who would have given a fuck about Marth or Roy in Smash, or Olimar in Brawl? Just because it's someone that is lesser known, or isn't known as a fighter (i.e. Fat Princess) doesn't mean they can't be an awesome character, or that the designers thought that they'd make for a great character.

I hate when people equate "lesser-known" with "a bad character choice". I love when these kinds of games pick lesser-known characters! The crazier, the better. The worst thing a game like this can do is only include the heavy hitters. That's one big complaint I had about Brawl: its roster was just so predictable. No real Marth or Mr. Game & Watch or Ness or Captain Falcon moment, where you sit there and go, "Huh? Who? What?" ROB's probably the closest Brawl got to that.

I want Sony to throw in characters I know nothing about from games I've never played before. I find that just as fun as seeing how they adapted my favorite characters.

The headliners for this game are clearly Kratos, Drake, Cole, Sweet Tooth, Ratchet, Jak, Sly, and Sackboy. You know what? I think that's a pretty good list. Does it compare with Mario, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Pikachu? Nah. I don't think that makes it a bad list, though. I think there's a lot of appeal in those 8 characters and the games they represent.

I hate when people equate "lesser-known" with "a bad character choice". I love when these kinds of games pick lesser-known characters! The crazier, the better. The worst thing a game like this can do is only include the heavy hitters. That's one big complaint I had about Brawl: its roster was just so predictable. No real Marth or Mr. Game & Watch or Ness or Captain Falcon moment, where you sit there and go, "Huh? Who? What?" ROB's probably the closest Brawl got to that.

I want Sony to throw in characters I know nothing about from games I've never played before. I find that just as fun as seeing how they adapted my favorite characters.

The headliners for this game are clearly Kratos, Drake, Cole, Sweet Tooth, Ratchet, Jak, Sly, and Sackboy. You know what? I think that's a pretty good list. Does it compare with Mario, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Pikachu? Nah. I don't think that makes it a bad list, though. I think there's a lot of appeal in those 8 characters and the games they represent.

Agreed. I remember when Melee came out and Marth and Roy were in it, I had no clue who they were. I always expected they were characters from a more Japanese series at the time but wasn't really familiar with Fire Emblem back then. Sure they weren't even close to the popularity of Mario, Kirby, Link, etc. but that didn't stop those characters from being a lot of fun to play as well as adding some good variety to the roster.

I am all for characters just like that in Sony All Stars as long as they are well planned, well designed, and fun to play. The main thing I do not want to happen at all in Sony All Stars, which started in Melee and followed over to Brawl, is the fucking clone characters like Link and Toon link or Fox, Falco, and Wolf. All are really cool characters but when they are basically the same down to the Final Smash, what is the point. If they wanted to do pure fan service with other characters from a series, then just make palette swaps (say Fox palette swap is Falco and Wolf). This way you aren't padding your roster and you still have the fans pleased. The other problem by making characters so similar in that sense is that when it is apparent one of them has the edge over the other, the others are worthless, what is the appeal to play the inferior character of the same play style besides appearance?

So I do not want some bullshit with Sony All Stars by having, let's say, Radec right now and then Rico comes into the roster with a damn near identical play style. I would prefer to have as many different game series represented in this game and if they feel the need to add Rico or another character from Killzone, they damn well better be 100% unique.

As been said many times as well, like you said, when you look at what Sony is pretty much going to have in this game just from their own characters

Kratos
Fat Princess
Radec
Sweet Tooth
Sly Cooper
Parappa
Cole
Nathan Drake
Sackboy
Ratchet & Clank
Jak & Daxter
Sir Daniel Fortesque (Damn well better!)

You have a damn solid and incredibly varied character roster at your disposal. Every one on that list (unless they make Clank and Daxter their own characters) is also from their own individual games spanning over 15 years of Playstation goodness. Add in Crash Bandicoot and Spyro and others from the 3rd party possibilities (I classify Crash and Spyro as 1st party, seriously stupid they don't have the rights to them anymore) and dig in farther to the lesser known characters like Blasto and there is just no reason to complain about the roster lineup.

bakedpony

I really have a strong gut feeling that at least 1 Sony PS1 RPG character will be included. It may be from Wild ARMs, Legend of Dragoon,etc... I reallythink one will be included for the "obscure" character in the roster.

I really have a strong gut feeling that at least 1 Sony PS1 RPG character will be included. It may be from Wild ARMs, Legend of Dragoon,etc... I reallythink one will be included for the "obscure" character in the roster.

They should really have a rep from each series. A perfect way to bring some more exposure to the IPs that some people usually wouldn't give a second look.

Legend of Dragoon is poised for a comeback in the near future IMO, and I think this could be the first step in creating some buzz.

Agreed. I remember when Melee came out and Marth and Roy were in it, I had no clue who they were. I always expected they were characters from a more Japanese series at the time but wasn't really familiar with Fire Emblem back then. Sure they weren't even close to the popularity of Mario, Kirby, Link, etc. but that didn't stop those characters from being a lot of fun to play as well as adding some good variety to the roster.

I am all for characters just like that in Sony All Stars as long as they are well planned, well designed, and fun to play. The main thing I do not want to happen at all in Sony All Stars, which started in Melee and followed over to Brawl, is the fucking clone characters like Link and Toon link or Fox, Falco, and Wolf. All are really cool characters but when they are basically the same down to the Final Smash, what is the point. If they wanted to do pure fan service with other characters from a series, then just make palette swaps (say Fox palette swap is Falco and Wolf). This way you aren't padding your roster and you still have the fans pleased. The other problem by making characters so similar in that sense is that when it is apparent one of them has the edge over the other, the others are worthless, what is the appeal to play the inferior character of the same play style besides appearance?

So I do not want some bullshit with Sony All Stars by having, let's say, Radec right now and then Rico comes into the roster with a damn near identical play style. I would prefer to have as many different game series represented in this game and if they feel the need to add Rico or another character from Killzone, they damn well better be 100% unique.

As been said many times as well, like you said, when you look at what Sony is pretty much going to have in this game just from their own characters

Kratos
Fat Princess
Radec
Sweet Tooth
Sly Cooper
Parappa
Cole
Nathan Drake
Sackboy
Ratchet & Clank
Jak & Daxter
Sir Daniel Fortesque (Damn well better!)

You have a damn solid and incredibly varied character roster at your disposal. Every one on that list (unless they make Clank and Daxter their own characters) is also from their own individual games spanning over 15 years of Playstation goodness. Add in Crash Bandicoot and Spyro and others from the 3rd party possibilities (I classify Crash and Spyro as 1st party, seriously stupid they don't have the rights to them anymore) and dig in farther to the lesser known characters like Blasto and there is just no reason to complain about the roster lineup.

phil hartman :(

They should really have a rep from each series. A perfect way to bring some more exposure to the IPs that some people usually wouldn't give a second look.

Legend of Dragoon is poised for a comeback in the near future IMO, and I think this could be the first step in creating some buzz.
The first step just happened with lod ps1classics release :)

what was that horrible psone rpg made by sony? it was one of the first RPG's for the system. i never played it but i remember it got really bad scores in reviews

fake edit -

looked it up.... beyond the beyond. put some of the jokers from that game in here!

The first step just happened with lod ps1classics release :)

That's true, but I think most of the people buying it now are already fans of it, or at least are already into old school JRPGs.

But I think what will really help it take hold is having some LoD presence in this game and then newcomers to the series will see that the original is available on the PSN store. Corporate synergy!

Hopefully the combination of these factors will give the series some renewed traction.

Drencrom

Game characters in PASBR could promote some digital sales. Same with the recent Primal PS2 classic release if Jen's in there.
As someone already said, they should make so that you can be directed to the games on the PS store the characters are from.

Kusagari

i just found out about the supers only KO system.

What a way to ruin the game. Assures it will never be anything more than a party game.

Patapwn

None of these characters are iconic except maybe one or two and they don't resonate with most people. I like Parappa, Sweet Tooth, and Crash. However they don't have enough star power to carry a game which is supposed to really please the party genre players as much as the ones into that arcade combat. It's also arguable if you can rope this kinda game into the fighting game genre. The last Smash Bros was a major let down so I wont hold my breath on the next one being great. It will end up carrying itself though with the great roster and stages.

Iconic is an arbitrary word. Basically, it's a fancy way of saying popular. Mario is extremely popular and has become somewhat synonymous with video games. Do you need a Mario in order to make one of these types of games? Do you need many Marios in order to make one of these types of games?

I don't understand your claim. Perhaps Parappa and Sweet Tooth aren't as 'iconic' as Mario, but they still have their fans. Just look around gaf, we have many members who hold avatars with these series' likeness. Hell, look at my username (some bastard took Patapon :p). I love patapon and will celebrate their first (and probably only :/ ) appearance on the ps3 through this game.

The only thing that will carry Sony Smash Brothers is how well it entwines fun gameplay with fan service. Perhaps it won't carry it past the 10 million sales line, but it will make a number of eager fans happy. And I'd say that's all that really matters... assuming it makes it's money back :p

Sorry, I don't buy it. Not sure why we continue having this argument, it's such a dead horse at this point.

The only reason why Nintendo's characters would have more "charisma" is because you grew up on them and enjoy their games more because you've personally identified with them. You're free to have that opinion, but nothing about the designs of Sony's arsenal of characters is lacking in the charisma department.

Nintendo has a lot of cute cuddly characters, but they lack the diversity of Sony's IPs. Kratos is probably bigger than almost all of the characters in Smash Bros outside of Mario and maybe Link.

And part of the appeal with Sony's diversity is that you get BATSHIT INSANE match-ups.

Kratos vs. Fat Princess? Two polar opposites, and you won't really find something like that in Smash Bros.

Secondly, if you think the game plays identically to Smash Bros, you obviously have only watched a video and haven't actually comprehended the action that is taking place. This is a much different fighting game at its core.

Have you played a Smash Bros. game before? You think Kratos is better known that Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Samus, or Kirby? Its just a fact that Sony doesn't have any IP right now that even approaches the numbers of most Nintendo games aside from Gran Turismo. In fact, Sony's best selling game not called Gran Turismo was the original Crash Bandicoot. And none of Sony's new IPs from the last decade have even approached Crash Bandicoot's numbers.

bakedpony

Have you played a Smash Bros. game before? You think Kratos is better known that Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Samus, or Kirby? Its just a fact that Sony doesn't have any IP right now that even approaches the numbers of most Nintendo games aside from Gran Turismo. In fact, Sony's best selling game not called Gran Turismo was the original Crash Bandicoot. And none of Sony's new IPs from the last decade have even approached Crash Bandicoot's numbers.

I don't think Kratos is more popular than Pikachu. But I do think he is more popular than Donkey Kong, Samus and Kirby.

Well God of War 3 sold more than Metroid Prime 3 or Other M so I guess Kratos is bigger than Samus :3. Not sure about Kirby tho.

Also I like how some people are thinking Fat Princess as some cutesy game. Her game is actually pretty bloody :D.

bakedpony

If Nocturne gets added to the PS2 classics this year....

does that mean the DemiFiend may make it in this game??? That would be an awesome character especially if he gets to summon demons.

Persona 4 MC would also make sense since two P4 games are coming and the fact that the Persona series is (mostly) PS exclusive.

I don't think Kratos is more popular than Pikachu. But I do think he is more popular than Donkey Kong, Samus and Kirby.

If we look at sales figures DKCR sold 4.2 million in a month. God of War 3s last known figure was around 1.5 million. Kirby's Epic Yarn figure was last at 1.4 million in 2 months. Before that Kirby's Super Star Ultra did about 2.4 million on the DS. Sales for Metroid are harder to come by but Metroid Prime 3 sold around 1 million in a month on the Wii and Metroid Prime 1 sold around 2 million on the Game Cube. Metroid Other M was extremely disappointing in sales for Nintendo compared with the Prime Series.

Really it doesn't matter for anyone but Sony if their characters have the same pull as Nintendo's. The only thing that matters is that the game is fun and provides fans of the Sony properties with ample fanservice.

Dusky

If we look at sales figures DKCR sold 4.2 million in a month. God of War 3s last known figure was around 1.5 million. Kirby's Epic Yarn figure was last at 1.4 million in 2 months. Before that Kirby's Super Star Ultra did about 2.4 million on the DS. Sales for Metroid are harder to come by but Metroid Prime 3 sold around 1 million in a month on the Wii and Metroid Prime 1 sold around 2 million on the Game Cube. Metroid Other M was extremely disappointing in sales for Nintendo compared with the Prime Series.

Really it doesn't matter for anyone but Sony if their characters have the same pull as Nintendo's. The only thing that matters is that the game is fun and provides fans of the Sony properties with ample fanservice.

I swear god of war III was at least double that, Wikipedia isn't the greatest source for these type of things to be honest.

KillGore

I'm not saying Kratos is more popular but you're comparing a console that has almost 100 million units sold (even worse with the DS, being 150+ mil) with one that has 65 mil, IMO it doesn't seem very fair.

Edit: Also, Epic Yarn figures is for two months and a half while GOWIII is just one month (If I read correctly)

Edit 2: DK is worldwide sales while GOWIII is just for USA . Also, I think Epic Yarn's figure is worldwide too since it was released alongside DK, which was worldwide sales. (Edit 3: hmm seems you had another source for worldwide sales for GOW? since yours is larger than the article's, so just ignore this part then)

Well you get my point anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom