• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steaks

GODHAND is still a PS exclusive sooooooo....

Don't do it.

Please.

You're just going to make everyone talk about it and everyone will throw their fists in the air when the moment comes and they realize...

Gene is dead. Get over it guys. God Hand will never come back. Put the stick away and stop poking the corpse, he ain't in a really deep sleep. Gently put him in the cardboard box and dig a hole near the tomatoes.

Dusky

Gravity Rush stage just needs to take place on the side of a building. Like your characters are standing on the side of the building, street on the right side of the screen, sky on the left side, another building at the top. Then gravity occasionally flips, the stage rotates, and you're fighting on the building across the street.

This.

echochrome.jpg

How about that guy lol?

Imagine a level design based around it ..

SmithnCo

Don't do it.

Please.

You're just going to make everyone talk about it and everyone will throw their fists in the air when the moment comes and they realize...

Gene is dead. Get over it guys. God Hand will never come back. Put the stick away and stop poking the corpse, he ain't in a really deep sleep. Gently put him in the cardboard box and dig a hole near the tomatoes.

He almost got in UMvC3.... Apparently.... :(

Endo Punk

I would laugh if Sony brings Ryu and Scorpion together in a fighting game. Personally I don't want these characters simply because I don't think they fit in the theme of the game -which is Playstation Celebration- but I wouldn't be against it either.

I would laugh if Sony brings Ryu and Scorpion together in a fighting game. Personally I don't want these characters simply because I don't think they fit in the theme of the game -which is Playstation Celebration- but I wouldn't be against it either.

Street Fighter vs. MK in a PlayStation game that's inspired by a Nintendo game. It should happen, definitely.

I can't believe people want Ryu or Scorpion in this game. Yea there cool characters but they are already in a billion other fighters and spinoffs. This is the kinda game to show off some new or old characters who haven't ever been in a fighting game before and play with them in a new way then they were intended. I would hardly call Ryu or Scorpion iconic PlayStation characters or offer anything new and different to the game, so that angle is out.

sn00zer

Think about it Ryu and Scorpion are no more Sony characters than Snake is a Nintendo character...so it wouldnt be completely crazy

SmithnCo

I can't believe people want Ryu or Scorpion in this game. Yea there cool characters but they are already in a billion other fighters and spinoffs. This is the kinda game to show off some new or old characters who haven't ever been in a fighting game before and play with them in a new way then they were intended. I would hardly call Ryu or Scorpion iconic PlayStation characters or offer anything new and different to the game, so that angle is out.

Ryu is indeed a shitload of games, no so much with Scorpion...

I agree that an RE offering from Capcom would fit more with the brand, but if they end up working with Netherrealms and Capcom, it would be a perfect opportunity to have some SF vs. MK fanservice in there.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So what do you call someone who grew up with Nintendo characters AND Sony characters?

I don't get this tired argument.

I've lived through every generation of gaming since the Atari 2600.

I cut my gaming teeth on Super Mario Bros. I grew into my teens and beyond with PlayStation characters like PaRappa and Alundra.

I have equal love for Nintendo franchises and PlayStation franchises.

Just because you don't personally like PlayStation, or identify with the characters doesn't mean everyone else feels the way you do.

Theyve mentioned they have tons of modes...theyve only shown one

The problem with that is the only other confirmed mode so far is stock. That still doesn't change the core gameplay - only supers can KO people. I've contacted multiple media sources and no one is really confirming outside initial impression pieces that the only way to KO is through a super.

Digital Trends is saying you can KO people through standard combat, while most other media are saying no (gametrailers, for one) and most won't comment. I think the reveal and ensuing demo was kind of a crazy tournament where they weren't able to play for long periods of time outside of the tournament they held. Also, obviously, they were only allowed to record a few bits of gameplay so we're only seeing a few minutes of pure gameplay between IGN and Gamespot's few recordings so it's impossible to actually see anything else right now.

Digital Trends article, my post and his reply are in the comments:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...n-all-stars-battle-royale-and-we-go-hands-on/

Maj replied to me on his site (one of the developers) completely squashing any hope of other methods of KOing, considering the game has been in development for two and a half years now and that they're gearing for a winter 2012 release, I don't think they'll be changing the core super gameplay/KO restrictions, unless they have another mode that would basically be "anything goes" :(

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=7000 (Maj's reply is comment 12)

Still, can't contain my excitement for this game.

Izick

So what do you call someone who grew up with Nintendo characters AND Sony characters?

I don't get this tired argument.

I've lived through every generation of gaming since the Atari 2600.

I cut my gaming teeth on Super Mario Bros. I grew into my teens and beyond with PlayStation characters like PaRappa and Alundra.

I have equal love for Nintendo franchises and PlayStation franchises.

Just because you don't personally like PlayStation, or identify with the characters doesn't mean everyone else feels the way you do.

I didn't grow up with Playstation characters; at least I didn't grow up playing PS consoles or games, but I still was aware of them and thought a lot of them were cool and iconic in a lot of cases. As someone who has only really played a significant amount of games on the PS3 (as compared to the PS2 which was only a few, or PS1 which was none) I still am excited and curious about this game.

You see, I can still appreciate these characters even if I didn't grow up with them or play all their games. They still are cool characters that bring unique personalities into the mix.

yencid

I dont think there will be a resistance playable character, i do think there will be a stage or some kind of cameo with it. Maybe one of the guns as a pick up item?

Sponge

Banned
Picked up Journey on PSN earlier this evening, and I would love to see Superbot try and make the robed character from this game work.

ascii42

Were there any characters that you really wanted to get but for whatever reason–licensing maybe–you couldn’t get?

So far so good. I think everyone understands just how important this is to the fans, and everyone wants to meet their expectations. These IP holders—we worked very, very closely with all of these guys, and they are all involved in the selection process…we’re trying our hardest! The developers get it, and hopefully the fans appreciate it.
That's a good sign.

Once the game has been released, can we expect the roster to grow through DLC?

Yeah, absolutely. We’re trying to do the best we can and listen to what players want now. I don’t think we’ll obviously get to everything, but there’s always room to add more down the road via DLC.

Usually I would be against dlc in fighting game for example but I can see how some 3rd parties would be more interested putting characters in as dlc. I hope they dont go wild with 1st party character dlc tho.

Any chance that we might see this on Vita?

Maybe… Stay tuned.

Coming to Vita as well?

A Vita version would be pretty cool!

This game is soooooo coming to Vita :D.

I wish they would outright confirm or deny the whole super only KO system, or if there was an alternative. I imagine they'll have a pretty big blowout for E3, so I'm excitedly waiting. Either way I'm getting this game, I just hope they have more options.

Izick

I wish they would outright confirm or deny the whole super only KO system, or if there was an alternative. I imagine they'll have a pretty big blowout for E3, so I'm excitedly waiting. Either way I'm getting this game, I just hope they have more options.

I thought that the Super to KO system is the only way to kill someone; at least that's what all the information has pointed to.

I thought that the Super to KO system is the only way to kill someone; at least that's what all the information has pointed to.

That's the thing, certain sources are saying it's the only means of KOing, others (digital trends) say it isn't. There's no footage of non-super KOs since all the footage is kind of crazy and only 4 player FFA matches. I guess we'll find out more at E3 when they reveal more and let more people play it.

That's the thing, certain sources are saying it's the only means of KOing, others (digital trends) say it isn't. There's no footage of non-super KOs since all the footage is kind of crazy and only 4 player FFA matches. I guess we'll find out more at E3 when they reveal more and let more people play it.
Most likely the odd one out is refering to enviromental hazard or death. You died if you got eaten by fish in jak n daxter stage. I think you also died if you answer wrong in buzz stage. If you're skilled enpugh, I guess you can force opponent to death that way without any super, but I dont think that'll be the normal

Most likely the odd one out is refering to enviromental hazard or death. You died if you got eaten by fish in jak n daxter stage. I think you also died if you answer wrong in buzz stage. If you're skilled enpugh, I guess you can force opponent to death that way without any super, but I dont think that'll be the normal

He even went on to explicitly clarify to me that KOs can be done with standard attacks:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...n-all-stars-battle-royale-and-we-go-hands-on/

In the main piece he said: "Characters can be killed through standard combat, but it is relatively rare and difficult compared to deaths that came through the specials."

After being confused I asked him and he further explained it:

"Perhaps others had a different experience, but all the other journos in attendance I spoke with had the same impression that the game revolved around special attacks. Although maybe that was just the strategy that worked for me specifically.

I played six matches in a row, using a different character each time. My strategy was to build up my special attack as quickly as possible and unleash it. In each of the six rounds I finished either first or second, and I may have died only one or two times in all six matches by a non-special attack. Likewise, all of my kills with the exception of one or two came from special attacks.

The issue may be the health bar--or lack thereof. Without one, it makes attacking feel more random than a traditional fighting game.

All that being said, its important to note that this was an early build, and it was also a lot of fun to play. I stand by the assertion that it is balanced too far in the direction of the special attacks, and that seemed to be the consensus, but maybe other strategies are also valid.

I look forward to trying the next build and passing on my impressions--probably at E3."

So, he definitely said and even clarified that it is possible. I don't want to discredit gametrailers, but they couldn't even remember what buttons do in the game when they did their two part video impressions on it, so I'm starting to disregard them saying the opposite - that you can only kill via supers. They literally forgot what buttons do special attacks or jump.

The street fighter pro that they hired for this game posted to defend the decision to only have super to ko. I dont think he need to defend it like that if they can really ko other people with standard moves

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
What was the process for selecting the characters you picked?

It was sort of a combination of a lot of different systems. First and foremost we listened to the fans. The idea for this game has existed long before Sony Santa Monica and Superbot got around to making it. There’s a wealth of information out there regarding what fans want to see and what characters they want to see—and what matchups they’d like to see. So we made sure to try and get as many of those as possible, but also, at the same time we’re Sony fans. We’re fighting game fans. There’s definitely characters that we wanted to see that we made sure were included, perhaps some lesser known characters that haven’t been around for a while. It runs the gamut.
Were there any characters that you really wanted to get but for whatever reason–licensing maybe–you couldn’t get?

So far so good. I think everyone understands just how important this is to the fans, and everyone wants to meet their expectations. These IP holders—we worked very, very closely with all of these guys, and they are all involved in the selection process…we’re trying our hardest! The developers get it, and hopefully the fans appreciate it.
Very reassuring :D

Gives even more hope for some of those popular, yet legally elusive, third party picks. (like Crash, Spyro, and Cloud.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom