• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we look at sales figures DKCR sold 4.2 million in a month. God of War 3s last known figure was around 1.5 million. Kirby's Epic Yarn figure was last at 1.4 million in 2 months. Before that Kirby's Super Star Ultra did about 2.4 million on the DS. Sales for Metroid are harder to come by but Metroid Prime 3 sold around 1 million in a month on the Wii and Metroid Prime 1 sold around 2 million on the Game Cube. Metroid Other M was extremely disappointing in sales for Nintendo compared with the Prime Series.

Really it doesn't matter for anyone but Sony if their characters have the same pull as Nintendo's. The only thing that matters is that the game is fun and provides fans of the Sony properties with ample fanservice.

If you look at the sales figures Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 sold more than Zelda: Skyward Sword.
So Nathan is more popular than Link

CoD_Black_Ops_cover.png

Dat 25 million+ charisma.

Zutroy

I think Abe could be quite good as a 'silly' character. Only thing is I don't know if his association with Playstation is strong enough. When I think of Abe I think of my PS1.

abe-oddysee-art1.png

I'm not saying Kratos is more popular but you're comparing a console that has almost 100 million units sold (even worse with the DS, being 150+ mil) with one that has 65 mil, IMO it doesn't seem very fair.

Edit: Also, Epic Yarn figures is for two months and a half while GOWIII is just one month (If I read correctly)

Edit 2: DK is worldwide sales while GOWIII is just for USA . Also, I think Epic Yarn's figure is worldwide too since it was released alongside DK, which was worldwide sales. (Edit 3: hmm seems you had another source for worldwide sales for GOW? since yours is larger than the article's, so just ignore this part then)

Well you get my point anyways

Thats kind of the point. Most of Nintendo's big characters have decades worth of history and tens of millions of sales behind their backs. Sony IPs from the last decade just don't have that and making comparisons about popularity will never be fair. Most of Nintendo's characters have had their own children's cartoons, toys, ect. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

ascii42

Thats kind of the point. Most of Nintendo's big characters have decades worth of history and tens of millions of sales behind their backs. Sony IPs from the last decade just don't have that and making comparisons about popularity will never be fair. Most of Nintendo's characters have had their own children's cartoons, toys, ect. Its like comparing apples and oranges.
It's been 17 years since the PSX launched in America. Only 14 years passed between the NES launched in America and the release of SSB.

Drencrom

Why are we discussing this again? Yes, Nintendo's characters are more popular due to more sales and longer legacy, that's it. This subject have been beaten to death already.

prwxv3

Why are we discussing this again? Yes, Nintendo's characters are more popular due to more sales and longer legacy, that's it. This subject have been beaten to death already.

There are a one or two "popular" nintendo characters that dont sell as much as some playstation characters.

Izick

I don't know...I'm excited about it. I like this type of game; I have a PS3; seems like a good fit. I'd be down with even seeing a Xbox All-Stars type of game, even though it has even less notable characters compared to Sony. I just think it's a fun, cool idea.

Ploid 3.0

I have more history with Playstation games and I was able to play a nes when it launched. I probably half understood stuff. The thing is that a lot of that stuff was forgotten, like rewatching a movie you liked as a kid, understanding it more, and the movie seems a lot different (take the young girl watch Titanic video for the first time youtube vid for example hah). With Playstation I understood every bit of it and was deep in it's characters even if they had less games (Parappa, Ico, etc). It didn't take repetition for me to get attached to them. The only Nintendo franchise I got attached to was Mario (SMB1 - 3, mario kart, SMW, a bit of Mario 64). With Playstation games, there's Ratchet1 - current, crash 1-3, CTR!!, and such that had a lot of games in their world too, so they could also have a nostalgia thing going on with little kids.

Games like ICO, and SOTC can get you hooked in their world with just one game. Look at Dragon Age:Origins, that was just one game and people got really pissed at the direction of DA2. You don't need so many games to get attached to stuff when you can comprehend stuff better.

Steaks

After dwelling on the acronym for a while, can we please call this game "PBR" for short? I think it's a pretty reflective acronym and sounds cooler than PSABR.

Tucah

you speak so well
After dwelling on the acronym for a while, can we please call this game "PBR" for short? I think it's a pretty reflective acronym and sounds cooler than PSABR.

Well it's probably better to use an acronym that's not currently used for a brand of beer.

I'm not saying Kratos is more popular but you're comparing a console that has almost 100 million units sold (even worse with the DS, being 150+ mil) with one that has 65 mil, IMO it doesn't seem very fair.

Edit: Also, Epic Yarn figures is for two months and a half while GOWIII is just one month (If I read correctly)

Edit 2: DK is worldwide sales while GOWIII is just for USA . Also, I think Epic Yarn's figure is worldwide too since it was released alongside DK, which was worldwide sales. (Edit 3: hmm seems you had another source for worldwide sales for GOW? since yours is larger than the article's, so just ignore this part then)

Well you get my point anyways

Well the original post that that's a response to WAS saying that so...yup

Ploid 3.0

Yeah I like PBR and wish the game was named "Playstation Battle Royal" also. PBR is quick and rolls off the tongue, like PBJ for Peanut Butter and Jelly.

BrianTheDog.gif

Drencrom

There are a one or two "popular" nintendo characters that dont sell as much as some playstation characters.

Well yes, I was just trying to appease the people who were so insistent that Nintendo characters > Playstation characters so this debate can die off (for now).

Battle Royale and PBR will be fine.

Imm0rt4l

I guess it was inevitable that it would come to this pissing contest of whose more popular, personally that shit can take a backseat, if the characters are relatively well known and more important the gameplay is solid then I don't care.

I'm just going to call it playstation all stars, or all stars for short until theres a popular opinion on what it should be called otherwise.

sn00zer

I think Abe could be quite good as a 'silly' character. Only thing is I don't know if his association with Playstation is strong enough. When I think of Abe I think of my PS1.

abe-oddysee-art1.png

I thought Microsoft owned some sort of rights to the Abe verse

sn00zer

The PSone Abe games hit the PSN a few years back and both Xbox games are coming to the Vita this year, so maybe the Microsoft deal is through?

Oh cool...I cant imagine why the Abe devs wouldnt jump at this with game releases on the horizon...
Actually Im surprised if any 3rd parties say no...most of these franchises are very much alive and it would be a great way to advertise

Quick Question
Do third parties pay Sony to use their characters or the other way around for this game?

The PSone Abe games hit the PSN a few years back and both Xbox games are coming to the Vita this year, so maybe the Microsoft deal is through?

Their talks with Microsoft fell through, they handled the HD ports very poorly. Not only did the put a cap on the file size but they seemed to be refusing to negotiate with the devs. Naturally they were pretty upset with this as they're only appearing on other platforms now, including the Vita as you mentioned. This is the same reason why Kingdom Under Fire II and Final Fantasy XIV are both only going PC/PS3, whenever they finish the damn games.

Dusky

Quick Question
Do third parties pay Sony to use their characters or the other way around for this game?

I'd imagine Sony would be the ones paying them but, I suppose a 3rd party wanting some publicity for a certain franchise could well pay Sony as well though.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'd imagine Sony would be the ones paying them but, I suppose a 3rd party wanting some publicity for a certain franchise could well pay Sony as well though.

Any third party that gets problematic should just go DLC for the game, a la ModNation and Little Big Planet.

"Our character is worth $XXX, so pay us that and they can be in the game." -Third Party
"Why don't you just put the character on the PSN for $5 and we'll split it 90/10." -Sony

KevinCow

Banned
Their talks with Microsoft fell through, they handled the HD ports very poorly. Not only did the put a cap on the file size but they seemed to be refusing to negotiate with the devs. Naturally they were pretty upset with this as they're only appearing on other platforms now, including the Vita as you mentioned. This is the same reason why Kingdom Under Fire II and Final Fantasy XIV are both only going PC/PS3, whenever they finish the damn games.

I'm pretty sure Oddworld Inhabitants' relationship with Microsoft went pretty sour years before that, back when Microsoft decided to drop them and not publish Stranger's Wrath.

But yeah, MS doesn't own anything on Oddworld. They just made a deal with them and bought Munch's Oddyssey as an Xbox exclusive.

Quick Question

Seems like it could go either way, depending on the character and the company.

I could see Square, for instance, saying, "Hey, Cloud in this game would benefit you far more than it would benefit us, so pay us money."

But I could also see Ubisoft saying, "Hey, putting Ezio or Connor in your game would be great publicity for Assassin's Creed, what do we have to pay you to make that happen?"

Like, in Brawl, I question whether any money actually changed hands for either of the third-party characters. Snake was in because Sakurai and Kojima are friends, and Kojima wanted him in. I think both of them are influential enough at their companies that they could have just made it happen without anyone paying anyone. And with Sonic, they clearly made a deal where Nintendo got to use Sonic for Brawl, while Sega got to use Mario for Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. It was just a mutually beneficial deal, which seems like the ideal solution.

SykoTech

If you look at the sales figures Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 sold more than Zelda: Skyward Sword.
So Nathan is more popular than Link

Wait, what? Each Uncharted game sold than Skyward Sword? Or are you saying that all of the Uncharteds together sold more than it?

If it's the former, then wow.

Drencrom

Some Killzone, Uncharted and Resistance characters would be nice.

Radec is in and Drake is a no brainer. Don't know if they'll make a playable Chimera though (no way Hale or any other character from the Resistance series will be playable). A Resistance stage with Chimeras in the background would suffice imo.

I really hope they put in Kat in the roster. I hope her supers include removing gravity in a stage.

Kat have potential to be a pretty interesting fighter with her gravity manipulating. Wouldn't mind her being in but she probably won't be in the main roster, maybe
added later on as DLC
?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i just found out about the supers only KO system.

What a way to ruin the game. Assures it will never be anything more than a party game.

i think it make it less of a party game(dunno if good thing or Bad)

cuz you cant just mash buttons and get random points, you gotta know your char's attacks and how best to gain meter to even begin to reach your goal.

its all gonna depend on how much can you really control the chaos IMO

Ploid 3.0

i think it make it less of a party game(dunno if good thing or Bad)

cuz you cant just mash buttons and get random points, you gotta know your char's attacks and how best to gain meter to even begin to reach your goal.

its all gonna depend on how much can you really control the chaos IMO

Yeah, that's how it sounds. If you want to have fun you can but if you want to be very strategic you can do that too. Avoiding other people's supers, being able to easily focus and tell who has super ready just by their glow and not having to glance on the meters at the bottom all the time. You will be a busy bee when planning 3 steps ahead at the pace the fight is going on.

KevinCow

Banned
Gravity Rush stage just needs to take place on the side of a building. Like your characters are standing on the side of the building, street on the right side of the screen, sky on the left side, another building at the top. Then gravity occasionally flips, the stage rotates, and you're fighting on the building across the street.

B.O.O.M

Radec is in and Drake is a no brainer. Don't know if they'll make a playable Chimera though (no way Hale or any other character from the Resistance series will be playable). A Resistance stage with Chimeras in the background would suffice imo.

Kat have potential to be a pretty interesting fighter with her gravity manipulating. Wouldn't mind her being in but she probably won't be in the main roster, maybe
added later on as DLC
?

well I think if Sony are smart they should include some representation of Vita/PSP in the game as well. Some more recognition for characters like Kat will be a good thing. I hope at least like you say we will get her as DLC

Too bad the character isn't that popular because Dead Head Fred would have been an absolute blast to play as in a game like this!

sn00zer

Im surprised no one has mentioned that theyre using resistance weapons during the fight, such as the shield and spike grenade (no idea its real name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom