• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario007

I need to get Infamous still. It looks fun as hell.

I got Infamous for free because of the sony hack thing. Haven't played it much, too many games, and I had just built a gaming PC around that time.

Play inFamous NOW! Easily one of the best games that crept up on me from nowhere ever! If you ever wondered how to do a superhero origin story without sounding comic-corny this is the game for you. Not to mention it's just so much fun.

Still haven't played Infamous 2, despite loving the first game. I need to get on that.

Also play it NOW! I2 improves upon everything from the first game. It's just such a great gaming experience. Also if you feel like you need to get into the mood to play the game just repeat the last mission from the original ;)

Mario007

Watch the ending to the first one on youtube. Buy the second one.
Infamous 1 hasnt aged well at all.

Nah you can't just watch the ending scene on youtube, the whole point of the ending is that it hit you because you went through the whole game.

I1 is still a great game.

Tizoc

In this day and age, fighting games should have more than 24 characters.
...then again there are fgs that have 20 or less characters in them.

True. Too many could cause lots of unbalance.

it's not even about balance. I just don't want the focus to be too big on third party, like someone else said, this isn't mugen. also, 3rd party publisher has no guarantee to keep coming back in subsequent sequels. they're designing the game to also be a competitive fighting game. can you imagine fighting game with the character just gone in the sequel which could happen to any third party character the game might have.

Zabuza

Banned
If there shouldn't be too big of a 3rd party presence, then Sony should announce some new ips at e3 with interesting characters to put in the game.

MvC3, SFxTekken, maybe Brawl?

There are plenty of fighting games with at least 30 characters that are not horridly unbalanced and even so, it's nothing that patches can't fix. This title is developed directly under Sony, so their patching policies should be different (more lenient) than those for third party companies. In the end, gameplay is the most important. You don't want a game that has too little content, but you don't want to end up with a DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3, where everyone played the same, either.

I think more is better, but I definitely want balance as well. I also don't want clones either. So far, the six that were announced are pretty different and unique from one another so it gives me hope the rest of the roster will be pretty dynamic/original.

In this day and age, fighting games should have more than 24 characters.
...then again there are fgs that have 20 or less characters in them.

There arnt really rules for how many you need of something for a game to be good

Melee has 22 if you don't count clones and that's great divers roster, after playing for 100's of hours I have only mastered a few

I think more is better, but I definitely want balance as well. I also don't want clones either. So far, the six that were announced are pretty different and unique from one another so it gives me hope the rest of the roster will be pretty dynamic/original.

Yeah, this right here. I'm hoping for counter/reflect characters, they are usually underrepresented.

Has anyone ever played that Battle Stadium D.O.N. game? That game was such trash. :|

Zabuza

Banned

I like this mentality. Gets me excited for the game.

Drencrom

I'm checking in this weekend to see when can I go ahead with a new character reveal. :)

2YqmZ.gif

You must be pretty tight with the folks at Superbot.

I played it, it wasn't that bad. It was fun for a little bit, but the share-a-lifebar element got old fast.

Matches would only last about 3 minutes, and getting your special was bad, it was more of a finisher than anything else.

The novelty wore off fast, yeah. Even as a distraction between other multiplayer sessions of Melee and Naruto GNT4, it didn't last long. The thing that bothered me the most were the items, they were all similar and useless. The only one that stood out was Zabuza's sword, that would launch opponents iirc. Unlocking characters with slot machines was also incredibly stupid, I don't think I ever bothered to unlock all of the characters.

cednym

Banned
There arnt really rules for how many you need of something for a game to be good

Melee has 22 if you don't count clones and that's great divers roster, after playing for 100's of hours I have only mastered a few

I'm splitting hairs here, but Melee actually has 20 unique characters (including Sheik).

I swear to god if the fat princess mini-controversy pops up again because of this game I will be pissed off.
Nvm. I read it. Haha. I don´t see how is that controversial.

Read this: http://kotaku.com/5028019/sonys-fat-princess-makes-internet-upset

Basically, some people felt it was "fat-bashing" and reinforced stereotypes about the obese.

EDIT - Ah, too late.

I will definitely grab both soon. I don't know why I've put it off so long.
Wow. WP is anti women fat basher? Haha.

24 characters, all from different first-party franchises (it can be done) and all with their own individual move-sets and super abilities - perfect. 4-5 third-party characters with heavy ties to Playstation like Cloud, Crash and Lara added for good measure - couldn't ask for more. That's what the roster needs to look like. Superbot should forget about secondary characters that play like clones; they can be added in a sequel.

SmithnCo

Recently I have confirmed that the game does now have 3rd party characters but have not stated who: http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...ots-logo-and-3rd-party-character-info-within/

Has anyone properly guessed the game's full roster? Not that I have read from comments ob my site or elsewhere. Have people correctly guessed characters here and there? Well yes, but that's a bit obvious considering that nearly the whole video game industry's worth of characters have shown on someone's wish list.

I'm checking in this weekend to see when can I go ahead with a new character reveal. :)

Awesome. Thanks for all the info.

Recently I have confirmed that the game does now have 3rd party characters but have not stated who: http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...ots-logo-and-3rd-party-character-info-within/

Has anyone properly guessed the game's full roster? Not that I have read from comments ob my site or elsewhere. Have people correctly guessed characters here and there? Well yes, but that's a bit obvious considering that nearly the whole video game industry's worth of characters have shown on someone's wish list.

Hey Paul, I commented on your post regarding that with a very crucial question - are there other ways of KOing outside of supers? Your original reports said yes, now many sites are saying no, some are still saying yes. We need to know. Please? :(

Endo Punk

I was playing Everybody's Golf and it was nice seeing guest characters like Sackboy, Toro and KRATOS. Man was that awesome, screw people who say the characters are too different to be in a fighting game. Kratos works really well in a Golf title, it's all about letting the personality come through, it doesn't matter if the game is family friendly or not.

And I discovered for the first time that Toro's last name is actually Inoue. I thought he didn't have one, you think his related to the sexy Waka Inoue :p

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
in my opinion, i think inFAMOUS has aged fine, but yeah, the second is better in every way. Remember, the people who have yet to play it have never experienced i1, so it probably won't feel so dated to them.

My recommendation to newcomers, however, would be to just play the story missions in i1, and maybe one of each type of sidemission. You don't really need to 100% it, and the good/evil endings aren't terribly different, so i wouldn't recommend playing it twice. i2, though, definitely worth playing through multiple times, and the ugc is really cool. I don't care for trophies, but i platinumed both of them.

I can't wait to see Cole in PBR.

Then can you name me the series that have more than 35-40 characters on their first game?

What's your point? A game can't have more than a set amount of characters because some new fighting game IPs used to debut with only 12 or less? Get the fuck out with that mentality, we're talking about a roster that has over 17 years of gaming history. As time goes on, fighting games raise the bar higher and gamers demand the most for their cash and Sony isn't exactly a B-tier budget dev. There is an extremely large pool of characters that they can pick from, it would be a waste to release a 60 dollar game with only 20 characters.

And again, we need to find out how deep the gameplay is and if characters can contain huge varieties of moves so that the 'about 24 character' rumor is sufficient. From the looks of it, we already have these playstyles:

- close range
- long range
- all-round
- indirect

That's a good variety, but I'm hoping that they also include rare and unusual playstyles not found in Smash to attract the attention of the gamers.

lol yeah right.
Willing to bet my ps3 that the roster would be well over 60 with DLC. $3.99 a character.

If this was true... my god...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3574xz0WsUA

I'd probably lose it and be doing backflips of joy. Again, I'd love to have more than less but balance and originality between characters is top priority for me. I hate clones the most in fighters, unless they're silly joke clones like Dan. Even then, they're just silly for a little while and then I get mad at how they spent time to make a joke clone and not another unique character.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
in my opinion, i think inFAMOUS has aged fine, but yeah, the second is better in every way. Remember, the people who have yet to play it have never experienced i1, so it probably won't feel so dated to them.

My recommendation to newcomers, however, would be to just play the story missions in i1, and maybe one of each type of sidemission. You don't really need to 100% it, and the good/evil endings aren't terribly different, so i wouldn't recommend playing it twice. i2, though, definitely worth playing through multiple times, and the ugc is really cool. I don't care for trophies, but i platinumed both of them.

I can't wait to see Cole in PBR.

I will fight you over this. Besides the graphics, I2 was inferior to the first game in every way IMO.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What's your point? A game can't have more than a set amount of characters because some new fighting game IPs used to debut with only 12 or less? Get the fuck out with that mentality, we're talking about a roster that has over 17 years of gaming history. As time goes on, fighting games raise the bar higher and gamers demand the most for their cash and Sony isn't exactly a B-tier budget dev. There is an extremely large pool of characters that they can pick from, it would be a waste to release a 60 dollar game with only 20 characters.

And again, we need to find out how deep the gameplay is and if characters can contain huge varieties of moves so that the 'about 24 character' rumor is sufficient. From the looks of it, we already have these playstyles:

- close range
- long range
- all-round
- indirect

That's a good variety, but I'm hoping that they also include rare and unusual playstyles not found in Smash to attract the attention of the gamers.

It's my opinion so you are not in place to tell me to get out because you just happened to disagreed with me. My point is that they might want to save some characters for future sequels if they want to make more money. Smart businessmen would build up the amount of characters through sequels, so it will work if they hold back some characters. Also, I don't remember what they said about dlc characters but I remembered they mention DLC.

What's with all this sequel talk "no dlc, save it for sequel" "they will be saving characters for sequel"

They will not be thinking of a sequel
There may never be a sequel
If there is it will be 7 years from now

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I will fight you over this. Besides the graphics, I2 was inferior to the first game in every way IMO.

Why do you think so?

The reason why I believe i2 is better than i1 in every way:

1) Story was more interesting, or at least, I found it more interesting, although I really did enjoy i1's story, so it's kind of a wash for me.

2) Visuals, obviously. The city and Cole and Zeke's character models are top notch. Enemy design is varied and interesting. On the same note, the city of New Marais itself is just so much more compelling from a game design standpoint. The flow of traversing the city is so much better, not to mention the diverse locations in just that one city. Flood town is the shit, and it was really great seeing a city in a video game that was NOT inspired by New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles.

3) Controls. The game controls like a dream, as did i1, but I feel some of the tweaks and improvements put 2 over 1. Hover speed and distance is so much better in i2.

4) Cole's power set is much more exciting and enjoyable to use. I miss being able to make each attack more powerful through leveling up, but I like to mix and match skills more, and playing with ice/fire/ and lightning is much more enjoyable to me. Besides, quite a few of the upgrades actually do have stronger properties, so it's very similar to the upgrading skills in i1.

5) UGC. The UGC is awesome. Some people are doing some really creative, impressive things with UGC (and I'm not just saying that because Sucker Punch featured my 3 part narrative mission on their site. lol).

I love i1 with a passion, and inFAMOUS is one of my favorite new IPs of this generation, but I think i2 is its better. But that's like asking me to choose between my two favorite types of ice cream. I definitely love one more than the other, but just barely.

QUICK EDIT: I concede that the one are in which I think inFAMOUS is better than inFAMOUS 2 is the villains. Alden, Sasha, and Kessler are great antagonists, and I can only hope that we get some equally compelling villains (or bring them all back) in inFAMOUS 3.

Anyway, going back to PBR, I don't see why adding characters via DLC would be terribly bad. This is one of those games where you couldn't possibly please all of the diehard PS fans with the initial roster.

If they aren't too greedy, and release some reasonably priced character packs (ie, 3-4 characters for $3.99), I think it'd be okay. I have a feeling they'd just end up putting one top tier, anticipated character, in a pack with 2 or 3 d-list characters. lol.

SmithnCo

I haven't finished I2 but it already has more varied missions than the first; for example when you're fighting in the bayou or wherever.

Infamous 2 never had any of those really stand out missions like climbing a trash tower or invading a trash fortress or defending a prison attacked by titans. And having no standard lightning bolt really hindered the fun of the combat, because every bolt drains energy you have to break up the fights by running around to find sources, sometimes blocks away.

kvothe

I just really hope they include a bunch of alternate skins for characters. Since Jak and Daxter are very likely to be in the game, I'd like to see their skins from all three of their games. Little things like that would make this game awesome.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Infamous 2 never had any of those really stand out missions like climbing a trash tower or invading a trash fortress or defending a prison attacked by titans. And having no standard lightning bolt really hindered the fun of the combat, because every bolt drains energy you have to break up the fights by running around to find sources, sometimes blocks away.

Yeah, those parts of inFAMOUS were certainly awesome, and standout parts of the game, but I think the mission variety in i2 is better by a long shot, and the setting really helps as well.

As for breaking up the fights, I actually think that solves one of the major issues of inFAMOUS, and that was R1 spamming. Pretty much any battle in inFAMOUS devolved into you spamming your basic lightning attack. You pretty much had to mix it up at will to keep from getting bored. I enjoyed the combat in i1, but it was because I was constantly mixing up my attacks and trying to come up with new/creative ways to destroy enemies, with a limited skill set.

in inFAMOUS 2, I still do that, but because certain enemies require different tactics, that automatically makes the combat more engaging to me, especially when they start mixing enemy types, forcing you to utilize the larger pool of Cole's skills. I enjoyed the tension of trying to manage my power meter, and not get sloppy with attacks. It actually felt very Spider-Man to me; when Peter runs out of Web Fluid, it's like, "Holy shit! How is he going to get out of this!"

When Cole is running low on electricity, you have to start playing smarter, and more tactical. I think that's quite the improvement over i1's combat.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Double post: sorry!

I also wanted to apologize for derailing the thread with inFAMOUS 2 talk. Maybe we should go the inFAMOUS 2 OT? Lol.

Back to PBR!

I really hope they add Alundra, Jen, Nariko, Lazarus, and Spike or Specter as playable characters.

I don't actually mind having more than one character from a single franchise, but not at the cost of a cool character from perhaps a lesser known series.

Also, they totally need to have a drop item that summons the Jumping Flash robot into the arena. It's like an instant Level 3 super that everyone can use if they can get to it first.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Why do you think so?

The reason why I believe i2 is better than i1 in every way:

1) Story was more interesting, or at least, I found it more interesting, although I really did enjoy i1's story, so it's kind of a wash for me.

2) Visuals, obviously. The city and Cole and Zeke's character models are top notch. Enemy design is varied and interesting. On the same note, the city of New Marais itself is just so much more compelling from a game design standpoint. The flow of traversing the city is so much better, not to mention the diverse locations in just that one city. Flood town is the shit, and it was really great seeing a city in a video game that was NOT inspired by New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles.

3) Controls. The game controls like a dream, as did i1, but I feel some of the tweaks and improvements put 2 over 1. Hover speed and distance is so much better in i2.

4) Cole's power set is much more exciting and enjoyable to use. I miss being able to make each attack more powerful through leveling up, but I like to mix and match skills more, and playing with ice/fire/ and lightning is much more enjoyable to me. Besides, quite a few of the upgrades actually do have stronger properties, so it's very similar to the upgrading skills in i1.

5) UGC. The UGC is awesome. Some people are doing some really creative, impressive things with UGC (and I'm not just saying that because Sucker Punch featured my 3 part narrative mission on their site. lol).

I love i1 with a passion, and inFAMOUS is one of my favorite new IPs of this generation, but I think i2 is its better. But that's like asking me to choose between my two favorite types of ice cream. I definitely love one more than the other, but just barely.

QUICK EDIT: I concede that the one are in which I think inFAMOUS is better than inFAMOUS 2 is the villains. Alden, Sasha, and Kessler are great antagonists, and I can only hope that we get some equally compelling villains (or bring them all back) in inFAMOUS 3.

I didn't like the story or the villain(s) in I2. Sure, the story in he first game was nothing great, but at least it engaged me more than I2 ever did, and Kessler was a much better villain than the semi-fascist old guy in I2 was (can't remember his name, Bertrand something). Also, the first game had much better bosses.

I didn't like the changes they made to Zeke's personality. I can see why people disliked him in I1, since he could easily be taken as somewhat obnoxous, but at least he had a personality. In I2 he just kinda was there, with little to no personality. Also, Nix and Kuo did little but annoy me.

New Marais was somewhat more colourful than Empire City, but I actually think the more drab atmosphere in EC helped add to the oppressive atmosphere of the city. Also, I2 didn't really have any missions that required platforming, like the prison, the sewer missions, the junk tower or those Spider-Man mission where you had to disable surveillance equipment (those were actually my fave side missions in I1). The closest would probably be the mission where you have to climb the ice tower, but there wasn't all that much platforming there either. And flood town is just awful, blah.

Also, standard bolt shots now drain energy, you can't recharge when grinding electricity lines, and the upgrade system was kind of annoying (first you have to unlock the abilities, then you have to spend XP to buy them) compared to the original. Not gamebreaking changes, just small things that annoyed me and dragged down my opinion of the game. As for UGC, I never really cared about it. I played some UGC missions just to get the trophy, but other than that it never really interested me, as it just felt like a somewhat unnecessary addition.

There's one thing I forgot to praise I2 for; the removal of the horribly annoying enemy aim accuracy from the first game, where enemies would spot you from far away and start firing straight at you. I didn't like any of the enemies in I2, as they were mostly just boring and tedious to fight, but at least they wouldn't be headshoting me from three blocks away :lol I2 isn't a bad game by any means, but it never entertained me or engaged me as much as the original ever did. Festival of Blood was great fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom