• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think that if you will base your system on super KOs, all the characters should be balanced when it comes to that.

So if you're making them all unique it's going to be a bit tougher to get the balance in there, like we're already seeing with Parappa.

This is what worries me the most. This type of system keeps reminding me of DOTA and all the DOTA clones - it's all mostly focused around their big super abilities and honing everything around maximizing those super abilities. At least in those games you can still kill via normal attacking.

Agree, it would work well with the current KO system. Ring outs should definitely be more emphasized in the game.

We know you're reading this Superbot, make it happen!

I was thinking the same thing. I do like the super system, I think it helps negate the random factor SSB has while also rewarding skillful players, I just think giving the option of ringing them out is at least a different method of KOing indirectly.

Its not IGN ,its just Greg Miller.

I agree with you about more stages having out of the ring Ko in some levels.But we did see other unique ways you can die in the game like the LBP stage.

True true, I should've specified that it was just two of the guys from the Playstation team. The thing I don't like about the LBP stage death is that it's not necessarily ringing out, it's getting on the right platform and pushing others off. I guess in a way it's ringing out but it's really circumstantial and I feel like I could see myself (and my friends) getting annoyed at that.

It kind of reminds me of the Wario Ware level in SSBB. Get through the exercise correctly? GET INVINCIBLE FOR THIRTY SECONDS!

Keep a variety of stages and maybe an option to toggle hazards (Hades shockwaves, killer golf balls of death) on and off. It would make the LBP stage half useless because the Buzz part is pretty much a huge hazard, but it would be nice to have a choice.

FINAL DESTINATION

This. I think this would help eliminate that extra environmental factor for the serious players who want it to be strictly player versus player. One question it brings to mind is if they'll have stages that have just plain empty drop offs, where you simply die if you can't recover?

This is what I was mentioning before - I really hope they just have more stages that are both clever and fun to play on but also forcing players to fight and stand their ground. I'm trying to find the video but I could've sworn I watched a vid where one of the devs. was saying they wanted to focus on fighting, not environmental KOs.

Dusky

I would definitely like to see more ways of bein ringed out aswell. Even though the game looks a lot SSB (well it practically is) Superbot are atleast trying to come up with different elements. If they were to implement ring outs I'd like to see it based off your AP, the less AP you have the easier it is to be knocked out, this gives you a reason to target a specific player. If your level 3 knocking you out will be harder, level 2 is easier than 3 etc. The negative point about it though is that it would take away the skillful play away somewhat, where you could steal a kill just like in SSM, but I still like the idea of you having a more meaningful reason to attack someone.

Nakiro

The recent announcement of Tomba making it's way on PSN makes me all that much more wishful he's included in the roster.

The recent announcement of Tomba making it's way on PSN makes me all that much more wishful he's included in the roster.

I hope so too. From what I was reading though, it was MonkeyPaw doing some serious leg work and tracking down the rights so they could bring it as a classic. GAH THE WAIT IS TOO MUCH! I CAN'T TAKE IT. I need to know what other characters there will be. I also hope they show off more levels and more modes.

Cant help thinking this game probably will not getting fair review regarding the super ko only system, I think some reviewer will be kinda vindictive about it and even if the ko only super mechanic actually turns out well, reviewer will simply said it would be better it use health and ring out ala smash

Leave the system as it is. Developers need to make the games they want to make and stop pandering to gamers whims. Put a demo and I'll try it to see if I like it or not.

Leave the system as it is. Developers need to make the games they want to make and stop pandering to gamers whims. Put a demo and I'll try it to see if I like it or not.

The playstation experience tour this summer will have it playable. I can't wait!! Totally gonna document everything I can after I play it. I would've been able to make it to E3 if I wasn't busy doing stuff with my wife+her family instead though :\

I'd say they should take gameplay feedback after a short beta is out. This is how it goes for arcade games, companies hold location tests in arcades and collect feedback from players. For all we know, we might like the super-death system a lot. If not, they could always include an option for something that we do like.

Sponge

Banned
It's not too much longer until E3 fellas, we're damn close to some new character reveals.

Also, I haven't done a character list yet, so why not?

djtcA.jpg

SmithnCo

I don't know how Journey guy would fight, I think thatgamecompany will probably be relegated to stages. I really want Kat though.

I would've made KB the announcer but as of yet that's not the case. As an actual character it would be some crazy stuff, in a good way.

SykoTech

Journey should absolutely get a stage, it would be beautiful. Not too sure about a playable character slot though.

Replace that position with either PS1-Crash Bandicoot or Lara Croft, and you pretty much the same character list as me. Especially since Kat is there.

It would be all sorts of weird if Smash 4 got announced and Snake was shown off both in that and announced in All Stars. Probably been said a million times over by now but it does seem pretty likely (unless there's only something like 3 3rd party characters in this) that outcome could happen.

EDIT: Have there been anymore leaks or hints regarding this game? I know the initial Paul leak mentioned Nathan and Ratchet, but they were a given anyway (as is Jak).

SmithnCo

It would be all sorts of weird if Smash 4 got announced and Snake was shown off both in that and announced in All Stars. Probably been said a million times over by now but it does seem pretty likely (unless there's only something like 3 3rd party characters in this) that outcome could happen.

EDIT: Have there been anymore leaks or hints regarding this game? I know the initial Paul leak mentioned Nathan and Ratchet, but they were a given anyway (as is Jak).

Cole's VA kinda confirmed Snake by saying he worked with David Hayter.

Cole's VA kinda confirmed Snake by saying he worked with David Hayter.
Pffft ahaha oh wow. I think Snake was too popular in Brawl for them to even consider dropping him from Smash 4, so it'll be interesting to see how they try to differentiate him in this game. Guessing there's no clues towards whether it's just Snake, Old Snake or Naked Snake?

I really, REALLY hope Lightning isn't the Final Fantasy character. Cloud is basically THE icon for Final Fantasy, whether fans like it or not.

Also, I never thought of KB being the announcer, that would be awesome. Problem is, we've already heard the announcer in the current build, it sounds pretty similar to SSB, doubt they'll change it now - although it would be hilarious to hear KB's voice.

We're like five days away! The anticipation for everything to be revealed is killing me, with All-Stars being on top of the list for me.

KillGore

I prefer them using Sephiroth, we need more villains in the game. I wish Cyborg ninja Raiden were in it :(

Give me a shadow of the colossus and journey level!

It's not too much longer until E3 fellas, we're damn close to some new character reveals.

Also, I haven't done a character list yet, so why not?

djtcA.jpg

Kat, a mediocre game that isn't even out yet
The guy from journey could not be turned into a character because nothing happens in that game (as much as I like it)
Spyro and Crash would be better or other choices

Kevin Buttler? You cant be serious, it like people want this to be shit

The guy from journey could not be turned into a character because nothing happens in that game (as much as I like it)

What?! Have you actually seen the critical response thus far for Gravity Rush? It has been far from mediocre. And complaints about a character representing a game that isn't out yet are inconsequential, considering GR will have been on shelves for a good while by the time Battle Royale comes out.

KillGore

I agree with the journey character but Kat fits perfectly with the game.

It wouldn't be nearly as elaborate or exciting as the E3 Bingo thread, but I like Yjynx's suggestion. We could mess around with smaller bingo cards in this thread for E3 character/stage reveals to get discussions rolling again right before the big event. Then again, Snake, Cole and Drake are already confirmed, so we know 9 out of about 24 characters and the game won't be released until like half a year later; they can't blow their load too early.

Tic-Tac-Toe would be better, only 9 squares hahahaha.

Nakiro

There's potential for more than 24 characters though DLC, I remember one of the interview questions asking about DLC and their response was somewhat positive.
Something along the lines that DLC would be a good fit for this type of game.

Sponge

Banned
Journey should absolutely get a stage, it would be beautiful. Not too sure about a playable character slot though.

Replace that position with either PS1-Crash Bandicoot or Lara Croft, and you pretty much the same character list as me. Especially since Kat is there.

I'd have to agree honestly, I can't see them using the Journey character as a fighter. I kinda put her/it there because the character was sorta teased at the beginning of the GTTV reveal with a clip from it's game.

Or maybe I'm just stupid? Probably just that.

wat

Also I can't see them using Crash and Spyro if it's gonna be Crash of the Titans and Skylanders, because Activision WOULD most likely push for that.

Kevin Butler is the man, by the way.

That could be fun!

cwTxe.png

I also think Prinny would make a nice character since Disgaea is pretty faithful to the Playstation brand. If I had to, I'd replace the Journey character with Prinny since Journey really does work better as a stage.

Drencrom

Gaf will probably burn me at the stake but i would probably enjoy a Butler character...Marcus not so much

KB must end up in the game, would be a missed opportunity if not.
Not sure if he'll be granted a fighter spot, alternative announcer maybe?

kI2DS.png

i had to post it

Sounds kinda fun, I'm up for it. Template anyone?

And oh yes, a Journey
x SoTC
stage would be godly.

What if we just list 10 characters that aren't the 11 we already know, and who ever gets the most right wins!

Let's take it from here, I already filled in the obvious ones. In the other squares, you can add (even more first and/or third party) characters, stage mash-ups, or just info text on what will be revealed. For example, one of the squares could have a "new gameplay" entry.

*Yes, I'm calling it PSBR. Fuck the All-Stars part.

NQBtz.png

SykoTech

Kat would be a great pick, and Gravity Rush will be out way before Battle Royale is released. Her addition would be a great way to promote the game and give the Vita some representation. Not to mention she'd balance out the male to female ratio. It's win-win-win.

And Gravity Rush mediocre? Nearly every impression/review is saying otherwise. Did you import it?

Adding Kevin Butler sounds fun on paper, but it would end up turning the game into a joke.

It would be like adding Iwata, Miyamoto or Reggie into Smash Bros. It doesnt make sense.

ViolentP

Adding Kevin Butler sounds fun on paper, but it would end up turning the game into a joke.

It would be like adding Iwata, Miyamoto or Reggie into Smash Bros. It doesnt make sense.

There is nothing serious about Smash Bros. so I don't think the addition of Miyamoto would be that out of place. In fact, I think silliness is a positive thing in this kind of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom