• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale gone gold ; final boss revealed

KevinCow

Banned
Why did they take the Youtube version down? I watched half of it and was gonna watch the rest later. IGN's own video player is SO BAD.

Dreweyes

I feel like the DLC, even if this game reviews and sells great, is going to be scarce and few. Reasoning? Sony's recent plan-of-action for most of it's 1st & 2nd party teams to lay off and move on until the next projects are decided really hurts any potential for a current team on payroll just to focus on DLC. Only way SuperBot would remain fully staffed would be because they already started on another potential blockbuster title, which means people assigned to work on DLC would be lower tier and minimal. This is just my opinion, keep in mind, bur it's a smart business method to maintain maximum potential profits.

I feel like the DLC, even if this game reviews and sells great, is going to be scarce and few. Reasoning? Sony's recent plan-of-action for most of it's 1st & 2nd party teams to lay off and move on until the next projects are decided really hurts any potential for a current team on payroll just to focus on DLC. Only way SuperBot would remain fully staffed would be because they already started on another potential blockbuster title, which means people assigned to work on DLC would be lower tier and minimal. This is just my opinion, keep in mind, bur it's a smart business method to maintain maximum potential profits.

Yeah I see what you mean, at least we know there will be character DLC at some point.

Man as much as I love this game...... they REALLY need to get a UI guy for the menus
Yeah, it's extremely cheap and nasty looking across the board.

For the next game, new visual and audio guys are needed IMO. Even the website looks nicer than the UI in the real game.

I'm disappointed that the intro and outro cutscenes seem to be static pictures too. I really hope this game does well and they get a budget injection

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'd love to wait until day one, but I have to admit, if Gamestop gets this thing in early, I may break down and get it. I'm off work for the next 4 days, so if it somehow becomes available tomorrow or Friday, this will be a great weekend.

EDIT: Just read the above. So it's street locked? Then I may have to cancel my Amazon pre-order and pre-order on PSN, so I can have it on Midnight next Tuesday. I'd love to be able to play it on the Vita on the way to work.

TheMink

Ok everyone, tomorrow is the day the OT will be up!!!

ill notify everyone here first so you guys can be the first to post :)

i cant say what time for sure but 12:00 PST is what im shooting for :3

I'd love to wait until day one, but I have to admit, if Gamestop gets this thing in early, I may break down and get it. I'm off work for the next 4 days, so if it somehow becomes available tomorrow or Friday, this will be a great weekend.

EDIT: Just read the above. So it's street locked? Then I may have to cancel my Amazon pre-order and pre-order on PSN, so I can have it on Midnight next Tuesday. I'd love to be able to play it on the Vita on the way to work.

I'm thinking of preordering on PSN also because I just KNOW Gamestop isn't doing midnight launch for this game.

If I can buy the box cover online I'll do it.

You can't sign onto more than 1 PSN account in the same game session?

What the hell... -___-

I was wondering about that, are we sure?

I believe Omar confirmed it on the IGN live stream.

manlytears.jpg

No? IIRC, Omar didnt know for sure and didnt want to confirm or deny. But then Greg confirmed it, and Omar is like "Oh really? OK". IGN was asking the question they already knew the answer to, for Omar to respond for the sake of the show.

Unless Im mistaken.

No? IIRC, Omar didnt know for sure and didnt want to confirm or deny. But then Greg confirmed it, and Omar is like "Oh really? OK". IGN was asking the question they already knew the answer to, for Omar to respond for the sake of the show.

Unless Im mistaken.

Didn't he say "Actually I don't know?" Like he was jokingly saying yes? Or was that something else?

k_Reign

Unless Im mistaken.

No, he went on to say that it was something that they were wanting to mess with earlier in development. He only answered to be funny and then said "I don't want to misinform readers" or something similar. So it's not in the game, unfortunately. Oh well

So is this just the boss' stage.. or how does the battle work?

Polygon man sends out polygon fighters (similar to fighting polygon team in Smash) and when you defeat one, you attack Polygon Man, he sends out two more, same thing, then he sends out three more, finish him, it's over

At least that's what I gathered from their description. I could have misinterpreted what they meant though.

Lren

Ok everyone, tomorrow is the day the OT will be up!!!

ill notify everyone here first so you guys can be the first to post :)

i cant say what time for sure but 12:00 PST is what im shooting for :3

Thanks, good to know! Can't wait to see it :3

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Yeah, it's extremely cheap and nasty looking across the board.

For the next game, new visual and audio guys are needed IMO. Even the website looks nicer than the UI in the real game.

I'm disappointed that the intro and outro cutscenes seem to be static pictures too. I really hope this game does well and they get a budget injection

Yeah but money doesn't (have to) buy good taste in visual design.

Spinluck

No, he went on to say that it was something that they were wanting to mess with earlier in development. He only answered to be funny and then said "I don't want to misinform readers" or something similar. So it's not in the game, unfortunately. Oh well

I don't understand this.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
pLhbx.jpg

Hell Yeah! Way cooler than his Million Monkeys outfit.

Tsunamo

I missed out on the stream, time to catchup. I'm so hyped for the game after all the info coming out in the last couple of days!
Who wants to have a Race to Plat?
You're on!

Two days after you've started playing it and gaining trophys.

Do trophies sync between systems? I would love to feel like I have earnt two for this game.
The way it usually works is you transfer saves (via cloudsaves) from one version to the other and the ones you've got on one platform are earned on the other, it should work every transfer if you've earned more.
What...I don't even know where to start. I thought it was going to be insightful as to who as to who has strong supers and movesets. Nope instead choose Cole because he has super powers and not parappa because he is a dog. Wow.
Was expecting better from Game Informer. Ah well, guess that's modern Game Journalism for you.
Sweet, you can disable stages!

Goodbye Loco Roco 2nd Half, forever
Glad to hear it, now the beautiful Loco Roco stage wont be touched/invaded by Metal Gear Rising. :D
According to the website, Toro's Scorpion "Get over here!" move is actually him throwing out his pet scorpion to grab an opponent.

I appreciate that.
Can't wait to see that.

Mr. Fix

Man as much as I love this game...... they REALLY need to get a UI guy for the menus

Yeah. They look cheap as hell.

Polygon man sends out polygon fighters (similar to fighting polygon team in Smash) and when you defeat one, you attack Polygon Man, he sends out two more, same thing, then he sends out three more, finish him, it's over

At least that's what I gathered from their description. I could have misinterpreted what they meant though.

Hopefully you actually get to fight him. If it's just a touch, then lol back to irrelevancy with him.

I thought I heard somewhere that the UI was customisable in so far as you could choose your favourite game and it would change to suit that style.

Damn if I could remember where I heard that :mad:

That's very disappointing, multiple PSN log in should be a given for games that put a big emphasis on couch multiplayer. The LBP games and Uncharted 3 do it right in that regard. My nephew will be playing the game with me a lot and he'll want to keep progress and stats for his characters, so we'll either have to hop between our two accounts during sessions, or just play on his account in the first place.

Some of my impressions from the stream:

All the characters look great fun to play as and i love the stages, but while i didn't mind the UI during the beta and normally don't pay that much attention to that aspect of games, i have to agree that they look very bland. They might look alright with some of the character themes, in fact Ratchet's space background looked kinda neat, but the choice of font is so boring. I loved that fan made mockup of the stage select screen with stage names in the style of the individual games' title logos, so it was disappointing to see Superbot go with the same generic font for each and every stage. It makes them more uniform, but it lacks charm. Also, i didn't notice it so much, since i've seen mostly 4 player matches until now, but there's so much dead space around the player portraits when a 1vs1 match is loading, which was very apparent when they were playing the arcade mode with Ratchet. I think the space around portraits is there so you can see more of the chosen character themes/backgrounds, but there's such a huge amount of dead space around the portraits when you're not playing 4 player matches that it seems distracting. I don't play fighters much, the only one i bought this gen was SSFIV, but the pre-match screens in that make you pumped for the fight. For PSASBR they should've either made the portraits bigger when there's less than 4 people playing, or have more going on in the background for the default theme (or both, ideally), the most obvious thing would be to have the XMB wave and DS3 face button symbols floating around like in the rival stage. Speaking of which, why isn't that map avaliable in map selection? Hopefully it's unlocked by beating arcade mode or something, especially since they put in a ton of training stages. Anyway, i don't mind the character selection screen as much, but the stage selection and match loading screen could definitely need some more charm and excitement.

As for the unlocks shown in the stream, the title/calling cards shown are ok, but nothing i got too excited about. Some of the backgrounds shown seemed pretty neat and the selection seemed pretty big, but the alignment and size of the small icons/pics on the card looked off, didn't like that at all. If the placement of the pic can't be adjusted, i might not use any pics at all and just go with a background for my card. Some of the unlockable titles shown seemed fairly amusing. Preferably you could write your own, but i guess that would open the door to people using inappropriate language.

Minions seem ok, again nothing to get really excited about, but they could add some fun when you manage to pull of something really cool.

Customizing your intros, outros, winning music and so on seems fairly standard, but is appreciated nonetheless for letting you personalize your character to a degree.

There's quite a lot of items in the game, one that i've seen a few times in last night's stream and the recent WNF stream is "A murder of crows", which causes a flock of crows to attack players. Is that from Heavenly Sword? I haven't played the game, but i've seen videos of the final bossfight and iirc King Bohan turns into a flock of crows at times, or sends them after Nariko at least.

There were lots of cool costumes i haven't seen in action before. I like that even some simple palette swaps make the default costumes look fairly different, for example like ST having a palette swap that gives him striped pants instead of dotted ones (i don't mean the tuxedo skin), instead of the costume staying exactly the same, just in a different color. I don't know if that's a common thing for fighters nowadays, since i haven't played them heavily since the Sega Genesis days, but i certainly appreciate it.

I was disapppointed with the arcade intro cutscene being stills with a voice over, especially after the awesome attract trailer the other day. I guess it was due to budgetary restraints and the outro scene might look the same. I bet this will add some ammo to people being determined on disliking the game. What disappointed me the most was that there was no cutscene to show how Polygon Man sucked all the characters into his universe. Imo they could have made just one fully fledged universal intro scene for the whole roster and then proceeded with the individual intros they have now. I hope at least the ending of the arcade mode will be a bit more exciting. The rival scene on the other hand has won me over, and i'm not even a fan of the Ratchet and Jak franchises.

After the stream i was a bit disappointed that we didn't see any sign of the game delving into PS history with character bios and similar stuff, but then i remembered that they didn't show off the extras menu at all, so i hope that it is jam packed with fan service.

While Superbot should definitely step up their presentation for a possible sequel, ultimately what i care about the most by no small margin is how the game plays and i'm very pleased with that aspect, judging by the two betas i was in and from watching matches online with the understanding gained from playing the game myself. Of course i wouldn't mind a bigger roster and more maps, but right now i'm really happy with the diversity of the characters and how they play, as well as the stages, i really can't fault them for that.

I thought I heard somewhere that the UI was customisable in so far as you could choose your favourite game and it would change to suit that style.

Damn if I could remember where I heard that :mad:

Don't worry about finding the source, we've known that for a while now. :)
But i wouldn't expect too much out of it, from what we've seen so far (Jak's and Ratchet's themes) it just means a different background and color scheme for the menus, nothing too fancy like changing the type of font and style of the entire UI.

Tsunamo

My laptop isn't too loud so I can't hear too well what he said, but it's 1 hour and 6 minutes in when Omar talks about them. (I think anyway, the question was regarding what you can turn on and off/options for stages and items)

My laptop isn't too loud so I can't hear too well what he said, but it's 1 hour and 6 minutes in when Omar talks about them. (I think anyway, the question was regarding what you can turn on and off/options for stages and items)

Thanks, found it. This is where he talks about it:

http://sv.twitch.tv/ignlive/b/340145394?t=1h06m02s

I believe it was in response to Kal Balboa's question about match customization. Omar says "...but you can also turn off the level hazards, the mashups, you know Hades will smash down below...".

It sounds to me like he just said mashups to clarify what hazards he is talking about, meaning you can turn off the hazards that stem from the mashups, not the mashups themselves. I'd be happy if the option was in, but i haven't seen anything that would without a doubt point to that, so for the time being i'm not getting my hopes up.

Edit:

Seems like Kal also won a copy of the game, nice. :)
That is, if he really is "Marco Polo Balboa", that was an assumption on my part.

That was for the ability to upload to Youtube, no? That is unacceptable to me :(

Yeah, seconded. I have seen nothing of the sort in the menus during the stream, i'm afraid TimeEffect has misunderstood something.

I apologize if I have, but I distinctly remember him saying something about the patapons during the same sentence he discussed stage hazards.

Oh no, unless he was talking about the Patapon attack D: Oops.

Actually if it was the case, I bet it would have been stated on the loading screen like hazard and items. My bad D:

Edit: Oh you found the link. I do hope they can patch it in if not

Top Bottom