• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Move Thread: It Only Does Everything

Hydrargyrus

Oook

So... my starter pack is already shipped. Maybe tomorrow, if everything goes as I expect -knowing me, it's almost impossible- I'll receive it

gofreak said:
I would say that it can be used in 'normal' games means you'll simply see more games support Move. Not that you necessarily won't see Move dedicated games, however. As for right now, there's >30 dedicated games announced, out of a total of nearly 70 games. This far exceeds the number of announced Kinect games. If it could only be used in specific dedicated titles, you'd 'only' have those 30 or so games, maybe fewer. Move has literally much more utility, and thus value, because it can be used in those other games too, yet you almost talk about it like it's a weakness.

Many of these move games come off and look like PSN titles really, none seem like any actual game changers in any regard. As for any big games, so far it has appeared to mainly be the big titles adding in move support, but not being made for move specifically. Weakness? I wouldn't say exactly but it seems like completely different approach from Kinect which is being launched almost like it's a completely new platform.

3rd parties will be what set them apart or at least show us how these will be accepted. We really aren't seeing many major 3rd party move exclusives, just move supported titles for the most part. Kinect seems to be seeing more exclusive 3rd party support so far, but again how these titles being announced at TGS turn out is an unknown since everything has been so vague so far at TGS.

Bradach

gofreak said:
Wow, I didn't realise how many demos were on the EU store. Better queue them up before tomorrow. Including echochrome! :)
Yeah. It takes a good while to download, there must be at least 10 gigs if you want them all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BattleMonkey said:
Many of these move games come off and look like PSN titles really, none seem like any actual game changers in any regard. As for any big games, so far it has appeared to mainly be the big titles adding in move support, but not being made for move specifically. Weakness? I wouldn't say exactly but it seems like completely different approach from Kinect which is being launched almost like it's a completely new platform.

3rd parties will be what set them apart or at least show us how these will be accepted. We really aren't seeing many major 3rd party move exclusives, just move supported titles for the most part. Kinect seems to be seeing more exclusive 3rd party support so far, but again how these titles being announced at TGS turn out is an unknown since everything has been so vague so far at TGS.

really? what about kinect other than MS mouthing off makes it sound like a brand new platform? At the end of the day, its still just an input device, and you still need a 360 to play stuff. You are more likely to get kinect dedicated games, as it just seems like it'd be more difficult to patch control into other games. Thats a risky strategy if it doesn't take off though - MS might end up spending a shitload of money propping it up with 'dedicated' games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BattleMonkey said:

Sony doesn't need to bankroll exclusive dedicated titles to get 'big' games on their platform though. They can put it into big games, third parties can too, and do it cheaply.

For me, as an end customer, it's no different to me to play Killzone 3 as a 'big game' with Move as playing - say - Steel Batallion with Kinect as a 'big game' (although I probably flatter Steel Batallion with that kind of comparison in terms of the 'bigness' of these games). The only difference is that I can opt to use it with KZ3 or be forced to use it with SB. Maybe you're saying Sony should force more of their big games or games they are funding to use Move exclusively, as Microsoft is, but I don't think that's necessary or necessarily desirable. It would appear contrived in cases where you're dealing with games that could easily be mapped to the traditional gamepad also - which happens to be the case with many 'big' games. Look how many people are pissed off about Kinect being the only way to play a couple of these new games announced at TGS.

mrklaw said:
really? what about kinect other than MS mouthing off makes it sound like a brand new platform?

As I mentioned previously, it's how MS is pushing Kinect. I don't consider it a new platform, but the way MS is treating it and marketing it, they seem to be approaching it as a completely new platform practically.

DMeisterJ

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

Well, Kinect has to be launched like that since it can't be introduced in 'normal' games, they have to be built from the ground up for it. Yes Kinect has a bunch of exclusive titles, but that's because unlike Move it can't be added as an additional control option in many games. It reads like you're trying to spin a lack of 'exclusive' Move games as a bad thing, when the ability to be added to games (exclusive or not) is quite a great thing.

Oh man, a fishing game and Move were a match made in heaven! Can't wait!

Probably getting 2 Move's and SC tomorrow. Would be a little tight in my current place but I'm moving in 2 weeks and will have a huge living room! WOOHOOO!

Now to find a way to talk the girl into letting me get a Wheel and GT5 in a month :lol

EDIT: When did advertising become "mouthing off"? Did I miss a memo?

jax (old)

Banned
Bradach said:
Yeah. It takes a good while to download, there must be at least 10 gigs if you want them all.

A lot of them are on the starte disk... Guess most people who have the camera won't buy the bundle... = need to download

I went on psn and queued Kung Fu riders as it's not on the demo disc and noted

;

That fire mint airplane game
Sone golf and billiard and bowling games now have move support....

It almost made me buy those move-fed games.

Will buy fitemints game and tumble on the weekend

/iPad

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just to check, but the Planet Minigolf demo doesn't actually showcase the Move support, does it? I think I read TTP saying that. A bit silly :| Would have downloaded if it had, now...probably not.

gofreak said:
Just to check, but the Planet Minigolf demo doesn't actually showcase the Move support, does it? I think I read TTP saying that. A bit silly :| Would have downloaded if it had, now...probably not.

I downloaded the demo, it said I had to buy the game to play it with Move.

distrbnce

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Many of these move games come off and look like PSN titles really, none seem like any actual game changers in any regard.

Uh, the game changer is a flood of great, real games that use accurate, fun motion controls.

Can't see the forest for the trees much?

daoster

gofreak said:
Sony doesn't need to bankroll exclusive dedicated titles to get 'big' games on their platform though. They can put it into big games, third parties can too, and do it cheaply.

For me, as an end customer, it's no different to me to play Killzone 3 as a 'big game' with Move as playing - say - Steel Batallion with Kinect as a 'big game' (although I probably flatter Steel Batallion with that kind of comparison in terms of the 'bigness' of these games). The only difference is that I can opt to use it with KZ3 or be forced to use it with SB. Maybe you're saying Sony should force more of their big games or games they are funding to use Move exclusively, as Microsoft is, but I don't think that's necessary or necessarily desirable. It would appear contrived in cases where you're dealing with games that could easily be mapped to the traditional gamepad also - which happens to be the case with many 'big' games. Look how many people are pissed off about Kinect being the only way to play a couple of these new games announced at TGS.

For me, I do think you need a handful of big games exclusively for the Move if you really want to push it as the next big thing. KZ3 and Socom 4 are looking to be sweet games, but...why should I buy Move for it, if I could use the normal controller (which might play better, anyways!)? Now, I'm glad that Sony hasn't forced their "big" titles to be Move-exclusive, but if Sony is really serious about the Move...I think they need at least one big game to be Move-exclusive, or get one of their developers to create a new franchise for the Move that would be the next big thing. Just my thoughts on that subject.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
daoster said:
For me, I do think you need a handful of big games exclusively for the Move if you really want to push it as the next big thing. KZ3 and Socom 4 are looking to be sweet games, but...why should I buy Move for it, if I could use the normal controller (which might play better, anyways!)? Now, I'm glad that Sony hasn't forced their "big" titles to be Move-exclusive, but if Sony is really serious about the Move...I think they need at least one big game to be Move-exclusive, or get one of their developers to create a new franchise for the Move that would be the next big thing. Just my thoughts on that subject.

Maybe, but I think Sony's happier for it to compete on its own merits alongside existing controllers, and for it to grow naturally over time if it's something people gravitate towards, rather than trying to hasten things. If it is actually good or actually has some advantages over the traditional controller, then it will succeed over time in winning enough people over. I think Sony's confident that'll happen.

I'll buy a Move for KZ3, because I suck with dual analog. And I'm sure there's other more casual players who'd do the same. I'll buy a Move for RUSE because it's - seemingly - simply the better way to play the game (at least according to most impressions I've read that don't come from Gamespot :p). This is the competition, and in some cases Move will win. It doesn't need to be given a handicap. (Or at least it doesn't if you're maybe thinking more long term).

I think you will see bigger dedicated games, and already you will typically HAVE to buy move for certain types of game. And I'm looking forward to those games, because I think there will be some interesting stuff that comes out of a pure or primary focus on Move. But I like the more balanced approach. If you want big games to play with your Move, you will get them, they're coming. The fact that they support a traditional gamepad also is kind of irrelevant if it's Move you want to use.

Shurs said:
NO!

The coupon that prints with the Move-related items won't be active until the 26th.

Solution:

1. Buy a PSnavi controller the day Move comes out
2. Wait until the $25 coupon from the Bundle "activates" on the 26th and buy another brand new PSnavi controller with the coupon
3. Return the new unopened PSnavi controller you just bought with the coupon using the receipt from your first PSnavi purchase.

Hmm spent a few hours with it now, its fun but its a bitch if you dont have much room. I sit around a metre or just over from my gameing tv and it was unplayable in sports champions, tumble it was spot on. I tried it on my big tv which i dont really use for gameing and it was fine, it looks like i will either have to play sports champion on there or get rid of it which is a shame. Its very much wii hd with the control its a shame unlike the wii it wouldnt work in the smaller space.

CryptiK said:
Whos stupid idea was it not to have a crosshair on the Shoot or atleast an option for a crosshair
There is a crosshair in the demo. Did you install from the disc? Download it from the store and you should have one.

distrbnce

Banned
gofreak said:
Maybe, but I think Sony's happier for it to compete on its own merits alongside existing controllers, and for it to grow naturally over time if it's something people gravitate towards, rather than trying to hasten things. If it is actually good or actually has some advantages over the traditional controller, then it will succeed over time in winning enough people over. I think Sony's confident that'll happen.

I'll buy a Move for KZ3, because I suck with dual analog. And I'm sure there's other more casual players who'd do the same. I'll buy a Move for RUSE because it's - seemingly - simply the better way to play the game (at least according to most impressions I've read that don't come from Gamespot :p). This is the competition, and in some cases Move will win. It doesn't need to be given a handicap. (Or at least it doesn't if you're maybe thinking more long term).

I think you will see bigger dedicated games, and already you will typically HAVE to buy move for certain types of game. And I'm looking forward to those games, because I think there will be some interesting stuff that comes out of a pure or primary focus on Move. But I like the more balanced approach. If you want big games to play with your Move, you will get them, they're coming. The fact that they support a traditional gamepad also is kind of irrelevant if it's Move you want to use.

You're right, Move's ability to be integrated into blockbuster, established franchises as well as quirky PSN games will allow it to grow naturally, safely -- where-as if it were limited to "Move-Only" games there's a much higher chance for it to flop out of the gate.

We love these franchises and a new way to play them (without radically changing what we LOVE about them) is very exciting.

A Move-exclusive blockbuster will come when it's time. In the meantime Move is easily integrated into everything we love.

spwolf

distrbnce said:
A Move-exclusive blockbuster will come when it's time. In the meantime Move is easily integrated into everything we love.

not sure if WE want Sony to give move-only game big budget, do we? I personally like options.

DMeisterJ

Banned
spwolf said:
not sure if WE want Sony to give move-only game big budget, do we? I personally like options.

Samesies.

I mean, Sony is already developing a Move only game (Heroes on the Move), but I'm much happier buying it because it's integrated in titles I already own, or planned to own.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
spwolf said:

I think it depends on the concept.

If it's a good concept and is something that would really benefit by focusing on Move exclusively, I'd be happy with them doing that and giving it all the money it needs. If it's actually a good concept of course!

distrbnce said:
You're right, Move's ability to be integrated into blockbuster, established franchises as well as quirky PSN games will allow it to grow naturally, safely -- where-as if it were limited to "Move-Only" games there's a much higher chance for it to flop out of the gate.

We love these franchises and a new way to play them (without radically changing what we LOVE about them) is very exciting.

I'm all for the Move and all, getting 2 tomorrow ... but I almost had to look to see if your username was SonyPR.

GothPunk

gofreak said:
By the by, for anyone else in Ireland, there's a dedicated Move store opening tomorrow through to November 14 in Dublin. It's at 50 South William Street.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/09/16/dublin-getting-playstation-move-hub-tomorrow/
One of the commenters says that LBP2 will be there? If so I think I'll have to make a detour on the way home tomorrow. An invite went out to some people for the launch of this place, which is taking place this evening.

I wonder where the best place to buy this in Dublin will be? GameStop.ie are running a deal where you get a free Move controller with a copy of Sports Champions, but I think it's an online only deal. I thought HMV might have been selling things a bit cheaper than elsewhere but it seems they're sticking to the RRP of the hardware, but the games will be cheaper than elsewhere (e.g. Resi 5 Move edition is €23 compared to €25 and up elsewhere).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GothPunk said:
I wonder where the best place to buy this in Dublin will be? GameStop.ie are running a deal where you get a free Move controller with a copy of Sports Champions, but I think it's an online only deal. I thought HMV might have been selling things a bit cheaper than elsewhere but it seems they're sticking to the RRP of the hardware, but the games will be cheaper than elsewhere (e.g. Resi 5 Move edition is €23 compared to €25 and up elsewhere).

Man, I wish that Sports Champions deal was going to be in-store..I really only need one controller, already have the eye.

Not sure who's going to have best pricing. HMV is typically great for new software prices, but somewhere else might have better hardware deals. I'd say there'll be reports tomorrow on boards.ie of who's doing what...

edit - in the UK, tesco apparently has the best known deal so far. Not sure which tescos in Dublin do games though (?) I wonder what Argos will be like.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Damn why did Sony punish those that bought the camera early. Want to get the bundle but cant find anyone to buy the camera off me!!! damn it

spwolf said:

Personally I'd love to see a killer app besides Sports Champions. It would have been nice but all the reviews and implementations into games I'm interested in are more than enough to give my dollars to Sony.

But yeah, I'd love to see a big-budget Move-only type of game. Doesn't mean I want them all to be ... but a big budget game designed from the ground up for Move? Hells yeah!

gofreak said:
Man, I wish that Sports Champions deal was going to be in-store..I really only need one controller, already have the eye.

I still find it completely strange there isn't some type of bundle without the Eye since there is a ton of potential Move buyers that already have it. I mean, if you have the camera, why not get the Move ya' know? But not having a bundle for people like us that already have the Eye is a bummer.

Move/Nav/Sports Champions $99 would have been too awesome to pass up.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Any Irish gaf members interested in checking out Playstation Move, well you are in luck!
Opening tomorrow in Dublin, is the Playstation Hub, a brand new demo store where you can try out the new Move controller and games.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/09/16/dublin-getting-playstation-move-hub-tomorrow/
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056034163

jab601.jpg

o7pqg6.jpg

20zbhx1.jpg

distrbnce said:
Uh, the game changer is a flood of great, real games that use accurate, fun motion controls.

Can't see the forest for the trees much?

I was merely commenting on the way things appear responding originally to people complaining about lack of exclusives and announcements. Sure it may sound negative, but obviously some people don't see it the same way and I think it explains well why some are not getting the "exclusive" support they seem to expect.

BradleyUK

I am having a problem with the sun making my room to bright, so I can't calibrate it and I have no curtains up at the moment because we are decorating. :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
So, I haven't seen anyone talk about Spilt Screen RE5: Gold w/Move. Should I just take that as a sign that it doesn't work/exist?

teiresias

So my starter pack is prepping to ship from Amazon, but I'm thinking of picking up an extra from a B&M store tomorrow, but what would people say is the most useful item at this point - a nav controller or a second Move?

teiresias said:
So my starter pack is prepping to ship from Amazon, but I'm thinking of picking up an extra from a B&M store tomorrow, but what would people say is the most useful item at this point - a nav controller or a second Move?

I'd probably say a 2nd Move. If I were to guess, at least in the short-run (and maybe long-term as well) I'd say that there will be more games that take advantage of having two Move controllers than those games that force you to have a Nav controller

dk_ said:
Does the NBA 2K11 Deo support Move?

Hmm...makes me wonder if the PS3 version of NBA Jam that comes with NBA Elite 11 will support the same motion controls that the Wii version does?

Top Bottom