• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Move Thread: It Only Does Everything

Vlodril

Well Shopto has dispatched my nav controller and Sport Champions but not the extra move or the starter pack. :lol At least i have been notified abou the starter pack so they should dispatch it shortly. The extra move is missing in action at the moment.

From what i saw they will honor only all preorders up until the end of August and the rest will have to wait. Maybe demand is more than they expected or Sony undershiped it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hmm, I have just realized how big of an advantage move has in determining its absolute 3D position compared to WM+. With Wiimotes you have to point directly into sensor bar to have the absolute position reference, but since the Move ball doesn't have to be pointed straight into the camera, you can hold the controller even on its side and the camera will still know where the contoller is in front of it. That's probably why the table tennis works so perfectly compared to the wii one.

No45

Dragnet said:
Argh! Shopto dispatched my Navcon today...but not the Wand! Fuuuck!
Same here, the bastards. Still doesn't look like HMV are going to despatch my RE5 any time soon after so it's not like I'll have anything to play it with either. :p

Will buy Tumble this week though. :)

Since the euro starter pack is a joke, anybody has good US to europe import site to share? I used to go to www.videogamesplus.ca back then, but maybe there are better store now. I wouldn't mind owning Sports Champions, but I don't want to spend a lot of money for a such mini-game compilation.

Vlodril said:
Well Shopto has dispatched my nav controller and Sport Champions but not the extra move or the starter pack. :lol At least i have been notified abou the starter pack so they should dispatch it shortly. The extra move is missing in action at the moment.

From what i saw they will honor only all preorders up until the end of August and the rest will have to wait. Maybe demand is more than they expected or Sony undershiped it.

Not to rub it in, but my SP got dispatched by Shopto today and I ordered it a couple nights ago.

(If it helps, I won't be able to use it until I return to university next week)

snap0212

reminder said:
Amazon germany just shipped my order (Starter Pack and Sports Champions), should arrive tomorrow :)
Fuck this shit. :( When did you pre-order?

Also; this was the last thing I bought there. This is the third time in a row that Amazon doesn't deliver on the day of release. Their customer service is shit, too.

Vlodril

Why would you rub it in i got mine dispatched. Thats what the site was saying earlier. Maybe they got a new shipment ?

Stike

Just played Start the Party as a test alone... hilarious!

I guess that game will cause lots of fun when drunk with some people :lol

Will try Sports Champions next :)

shwimpy

Has Sony or Mm said if LBP1 will be patched with Move controls before LBP2 releases? Or was the GDC presentation just a tech demo? It would be nice to see how they implemented the move controls before LBP2 comes out.

AndyD

aka andydumi
shwimpy said:
Has Sony or Mm said if LBP1 will be patched with Move controls before LBP2 releases? Or was the GDC presentation just a tech demo? It would be nice to see how they implemented the move controls before LBP2 comes out.

I think they said LBP 1 will not be patched, now or later. LBP 2 will come at launch with some Move oriented levels/minigames and LBP 2 will be patched for creation with Move later (after launch).

At least that's the latest word outside of beta anyway.

shwimpy said:

This is totally from my memory, so please correct me:

LBP1 won't be patched.

LBP2 will contain an editor tool(s) to create levels / part in levels specifically for Move. There will also be some Move-exclusive levels on the disc. It's not an alternate control scheme but something like the 2. player Wii-Remote control in SMG.

edit: beaten but at least it seems my memory was correct :lol

Jal

I think i'll wait for Gaf feedback before i buy anything.

Also im noticing videos with hands on lap DS3 in one hand Move in the other, what's the point? That just defeats the purpose of motion control imo, you may as well just use the DS3.

Massa

Jal said:

Also im noticing videos with hands on lap DS3 in one hand Move in the other, what's the point? That just defeats the purpose of motion control imo, you may as well just use the DS3.

The point is to use a pointer, not the "motion" part. For games that actually require waggle (like Heavy Rain) that setup wouldn't work as well, but for a shooter it's completely fine.

cakefoo

Jal said:

Because with a DS3 in 2 hands, your right hand is having to use an analog stick to aim. With Move you aim by pointing it like a laser, which for some people is more appealing.

edit:beaten

Also can work with actual motions too, as long as you're not doing underarm motions like bowling for instance. I'm sure long, traditional games like Sorcery will have motions that are designed with the restrictions of seated gameplay in mind.

Animator

gluv65 said:
I'm so glad I don't operate on the killer app syndrome. As long as its supported for a couple of years or more then I'm cool.

Not to mention there is a killer app already: table tennis! :D

Jal

cakefoo said:
Because with a DS3 in 2 hands, your right hand is having to use an analog stick to aim. With Move you aim by pointing it like a laser, which for some people is more appealing.

edit:beaten

Also can work with actual motions too, as long as you're not doing underarm motions like bowling for instance. I'm sure long, traditional games like Sorcery will have motions that are designed with the restrictions of seated gameplay in mind.

Massa said:
The point is to use a pointer, not the "motion" part. For games that actually require waggle (like Heavy Rain) that setup wouldn't work as well, but for a shooter it's completely fine.

Meh, if im shooting i want the full on gun-con experience just moving my wrist doesnt seem much better than moving my thumb. I'll probably only buy games involving shooting that can take advantage of the gun accessories.

Jal said:
Meh, if im shooting i want the full on gun-con experience just moving my wrist doesnt seem much better than moving my thumb. I'll probably only buy games involving shooting that can take advantage of the gun accessories.

Well, then you want classic lightgun shooters. The DS3/Navi + Move combo is an alternate control scheme for "normal" TPS/FPS games.

blaccat

Vlodril said:

They shipped my starter pack and SC but not the extra wand

Spoke to them they said the extra wand would be shipped 2morrow

I actually had to cancel my preorder and re order it again a few days ago bcos I had to change my card details but I prepaid for the preorder just incase:D

Jal

SolidusDave said:
Well, then you want classic lightgun shooters. The DS3/Navi + Move combo is an alternate control scheme for "normal" TPS/FPS games.

So all FPS will use the same control method then? Couldnt RE5 use a gun if they let you use the trigger to shoot?

btkadams

man i fucking cant wait to play the new time crisis bundled with tc4 with this thing! i hope we get a bunch of lightgun game collections on ps3 now. like a time crisis classics collection with all the older games.

Ristlager

So went into a shop here in Norway and asked if they sold the Playstation Move controller early, and the clerk said: "we have them in stock but we can't sell them because you will get banned on live if you use it early." then he started to search for Xbox Move on his computer. I mean what the hell man, they speak so much shit its crazy. And this was the expert in the games section. Bah. Anyone here actually corrected the stupid stuff they say? I just laugh quietly.

Jal said:
So all FPS will use the same control method then? Couldnt RE5 use a gun if they let you use the trigger to shoot?

Well maybe you can use the gun thingy, but it won't work w/o the DS3/Navi.
Basically, the Move controller replaces the right analog stick in these kind of games.

spats

Ristlager said:
So went into a shop here in Norway and asked if they sold the Playstation Move controller early, and the clerk said: "we have them in stock but we can't sell them because you will get banned on live if you use it early." then he started to search for Xbox Move on his computer. I mean what the hell man, they speak so much shit its crazy. And this was the expert in the games section. Bah. Anyone here actually corrected the stupid stuff they say? I just laugh quietly.

Lo and behold the power of Microsoft's marketing. :p

Doesn't sound like much of an expert to me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jal said:

Well, theres really no way to move if you use just a Move controller or something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O6E46S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which is why it may work for lightgun and on rail shooters but not the traditional FPS/TPS games.

For movement you need either the Navi or the left side of a DS3 (they are functionally equivalent). So you can probably use something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UF24SI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
although the ergonomis of using that thumbstick on the Navi in that awkward position may not be the best.

Jal

SolidusDave said:
Well maybe you can use the gun thingy, but it won't work w/o the DS3/Navi.
Basically, the Move controller replaces the right analog stick in these kind of games.

I understand that but i thought RE on wii used the nunchuck and lightgun method and RE5 and other FPS/TPS would be the same, or at least have the option.

Jal said:
I understand that but i thought RE on wii used the nunchuck and lightgun method and RE5 and other FPS/TPS would be the same, or at least have the option.

Yes, RE4 on the Wii uses the same setup. Sorry, now I'm not sure anymore what your question is ^^

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jal said:

Right. RE4 uses Wiimote + nunchuk. RE5 uses Move + navi.

However, the navi is the same as the left side of a DS3, so some people decided to use the left side of the DS3 so they dont have to buy a Navi, hence Move + left side of DS3 held on their lap/knee or whatever.

Your previous question made it seem like you wanted it to use Move only (or the equivalent of Wiimote only in RE4) without a stick for movement (no Navi or Nunchuk in RE4).

Jal

SolidusDave said:
Yes, RE4 on the Wii uses the same setup. Sorry, now I'm not sure anymore what your question is ^^

So you could use the lightgun method but people are just choosing to do it the easy/lazy way?

@AndyD My issue was more with the right hand not being used as a gun

Sorry for confusing everyone:D

UFRA

LiquidMetal14 said:
Now this is a nice thread. Can't wait.

Yeah it puts that Move impressions/reviews/previews thread to waste, eh?

Whoever created that one must be a chump.

:p ;)

Top Bottom