• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

wilflare

It just says

"Sony Computer Entertainment Presents"

The title screen shows read this though:

ah.. so they basically stuffed a Europe cart/version of the game in the Asian release lol

That Oreshika LE looks very nice, just checked from pages back, haven't yet bought the game cause 8GB card and 100mb free..
What goodies does it contain and is it how available anymore?

hmm I might be able to help... gotta see if my local stores still have any in stock

Btw those of you who live in SE Asia, how do DRPGs do there?

Vita does decently well here :) for DRPGs, I still see games like Demon Gaze and etc being sold and traded in the local marketplace so that should be good?

Taiko no Tatsujin Vita? OK, now I can migrate to the boring PS4 without regrets.

wait whut? isn't that good news

SerTapTap

Taiko looks neat, if it's physical I might import, unless they localize (which I doubt since only the PS2 game ever was)

Was it a mistake to use a CC to fund my Bastion purchase? Didn't want to go out this late and I deleted the info right after.

It's more a mistake to use a credit card at a retail store than PSN these days. I've had my CC info on PSN for years, yes the PSN hack happened, no issues beyond that. Long as it's not a debit card it's not a huge deal either, had unauthorized CC access a year ago, apparently due to a grocery store leak, had a new card in 24 hours and paid nothing. If you deleted your info I really wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Retail shovelknight release! For PS4 not Vita, no mention of cross buy though

Shizuka

Square-Enix is one of the few japanese Playstation developers that do multiplatform release limited to the PS4 and PS3. Also, it'd be nice to have a retail release of Shovel Knight for the Vita as well, RCR showed that a Vita version can sell at retail.

At least we're getting our first Taiko title. It might be my first (and only) japanese import.

Kudo

hmm I might be able to help... gotta see if my local stores still have any in stock

Let me know in case they still had it, I'm interested.

After getting Platinum from Bloodborne plugged in my PS3 and now faced with a choice of what to play:
Disgaea D2
Drakengard 3
The Witch and the Hundred Knight
Also Ni no Kuni but probably won't start playing that.. I was pretty far in and my save file got deleted don't know how long it would take to get back where I was.
Just got the dragon and had 2 dungeons I needed to explore next.

Li Kao

Yesterday I received my PS4 ! Noice ! So I redid my gaming setup including a central av receiver to handle everything audio ! Shiet !
On the PS4 front, I must say I'm of two mind. While it is indeed a clear improvement over the PS3 OS, it still isn't totally snappy in the store, probably because of the need to download every game arts, and above all the whole thing is ripe with options and sections and whatnot... maybe a little too much. I'm still a little lost in all the myriad of sections presented to me. A clear improvement though, no question about it.

...so now I have to buy some game and play, because yeah, I'm not too fond of my plus games. But with everything and its mother releasing these days and a huge chunk of my budget gone with the PS4, the thing is a little tricky.
I planned to play Samurai Warriors 4, but digital is still 59$, that's a hard pill to swallow considering I can get an euro physical for much less.

SerTapTap

Square-Enix is one of the few japanese Playstation developers that do multiplatform release limited to the PS4 and PS3. Also, it'd be nice to have a retail release of Shovel Knight for the Vita as well, RCR showed that a Vita version can sell at retail.

At least we're getting our first Taiko title. It might be my first (and only) japanese import.

the shovel knight thing is pretty weird, I assume they're targeting what they assume will be the biggest platforms as they're skipping Wii U and Vita.

Let me know in case they still had it, I'm interested.

After getting Platinum from Bloodborne plugged in my PS3 and now faced with a choice of what to play:

I'd recommend Disgaea D2. Heard bad things about Witch and horrible things about the performance of Drakengard. D2 doesn't have the best story of a Disgaea game, but it does a lot to streamline and improve a lot of things. Cheat Shop is great (instantly set enemy strength, no bill passing, or give up Hell for more XP or whatever)

Yesterday I received my PS4 ! Noice ! So I redid my gaming setup including a central av receiver to handle everything audio ! Shiet !
On the PS4 front, I must say I'm of two mind. While it is indeed a clear improvement over the PS3 OS, it still isn't totally snappy in the store, probably because of the need to download every game arts, and above all the whole thing is ripe with options and sections and whatnot... maybe a little too much. I'm still a little lost in all the myriad of sections presented to me. A clear improvement though, no question about it.

...so now I have to buy some game and play, because yeah, I'm not too fond of my plus games. But with everything and its mother releasing these days and a huge chunk of my budget gone with the PS4, the thing is a little tricky.
I planned to play Samurai Warriors 4, but digital is still 59$, that's a hard pill to swallow considering I can get an euro physical for much less.

I just use the PC store when possible and send downloads to the PS4. I can recommend tons of games but I'd need to know your tastes. Also if you have all the PS4 PS+ games I'd at least try most of them, there's some really great stuff in there like Velocity 2X, Resogun and so on. If you only got PS+ this month, yeah it's not the best month for PS4 only but Tower of Guns can be fun for a couple of plays.

Shizuka

the shovel knight thing is pretty weird, I assume they're targeting what they assume will be the biggest platforms as they're skipping Wii U and Vita.

And it's a weird time to announce a retail print, it's just going to make me wait instead of buying the game next week.

SerTapTap

And it's a weird time to announce a retail print, it's just going to make me wait instead of buying the game next week.

Glad they announced before it went live actually, would rather buy the retail version. Earlier would have been nice though, Tower of Guns announced quite a bit in advance (then went PS+ anyway but I might still get retail just to collect PS4/Vita indies)

Li Kao

I just use the PC store when possible and send downloads to the PS4. I can recommend tons of games but I'd need to know your tastes. Also if you have all the PS4 PS+ games I'd at least try most of them, there's some really great stuff in there like Velocity 2X, Resogun and so on. If you only got PS+ this month, yeah it's not the best month for PS4 only but Tower of Guns can be fun for a couple of plays.

Well I tried Resogun and Pix the Cat. I have some old Plus games and renewed recently, so there is a gap in my available games.
And while I'm totally not against Resogun per se, I need some meatier title to pass the time. I'm not anti-arcade, but I need something else too. Store pricing is still far away from Steam though, so I must tread carefully.

SerTapTap

As far as meat, there's Bloodborne, TLOU (I think every PS4 comes with this now), Driveclub (especially if you can get it cheap at a local Gamestop), I really enjoyed Infamous Second Son/First Light but they're pretty short--a weekend or so of binging will easily beat either. Senran Kagura Estival Versus is fantastic but that's an import (playable but you'll probably want to wait for localization unless you're impatient), Omega Quintet seems like it should be a pretty decent JRPG as far as combat goes (but everything but battle might...not be what you expect from a popular JRPG...). Not sure I'd call it meaty but I enjoyed The Wolf Among Us as well, though you can get that on about any platform.

Axiom Verge will also last you over 10 hours, if you like Metroidvanias I highly recommend it, stands right next to the 2D Metroids IMO (and easily better than several of them, I'm not the biggest fan of Metroid 1 or 2 after all). Absolutely play Transistor if you happened to claim it, and Binding of Isaac will last you weeks if it's to your taste.

There's also the standard AAA multiplat fare, no real comment on that.

Shizuka

That's not true. The first Chaos Rings got ported to PSM, but Square Enix did a Vita native version for the Trilogy release.

I thought only the CR3 had a trophy list, how come the previous games were native Vita titles without a trophy list?

Not that anyone cares, but hey a new Star Ocean~
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1028821&page=8
It was not SO2 for the handheld? The need for a PS4 is rising. I might give in but the barrage of Vita games regularly depletes my wallet.
Btw those of you who live in SE Asia, how do DRPGs do there?
DRPGs are frequently sold out here. I keep on bidding if Demon Gaze is auctioned but I keep on getting sniped.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Music games are killing my budget now. P4D + IA/VT + that reskinned PD, anime songs edition + Taiko. I also need to get into that music games from PSM before the service expires. I'm in a rhythm game heaven this year.

SerTapTap

How interested should I be in this star ocean thing? I generally like JRPGs especially those of the PS1/2 era (though PS1 ones haven't all aged well) but never checked out the series. All I know is 4 was apparently a train wreck, is this one looking better?

Physical Shovel Knight, a bunch of months down the line, with the digital release coming next week? So weird. No Wii U or Vita versions? Not weird at all.

Li Kao

By the way guys, I'm new to the PS4 power settings and... do you leave your PS4 in rest mode at all time (even at night) or turn it off ?
And what if a power outage happen, can it mess with the console ? I mean, stupid question, as long as the PS4 is not working on anything at the time I don't see why it would be so bad, but the displayed message when entering rest mode makes me uneasy. If rest mode is handy but also a sure way to mess up the console if a power outage happen, I'm not sure I'm up for it.
What a fucking stupid question :-/

antibolo

Banned
All those upcoming rhythm games are going to make it very hard for me to carry on my plan to take a ~1 year break from rhythm games.

By the way guys, I'm new to the PS4 power settings and... do you leave your PS4 in rest mode at all time (even at night) or turn it off ?
And what if a power outage happen, can it mess with the console ? I mean, stupid question, as long as the PS4 is not working on anything at the time I don't see why it would be so bad, but the displayed message when entering rest mode makes me uneasy. If rest mode is handy but also a sure way to mess up the console if a power outage happen, I'm not sure I'm up for it.
Rest mode with suspend feature on is a god send. Put Remote Play in there, and it's even better. Being able to turn my PS4 on with my Vita, and starting right where I left off the previous night within a few seconds is quite amazing.

Also, rest mode allows for updates and stuff that I bought through my phone on the PS store to be downloaded while I am away from home.

Basically, not using Rest Mode is doing yourself a disservice :p

SerTapTap

I just use Rest mode at all times--note that the USB in standby is like double or triple the power usage--still pretty low, but I turn that off, it's a waste 95% of the time. You can set it to only charge for 6 hours after turning it off, plenty enough to plug in your controller when you're done if you like (I just charge my controllers elsewhere, I have tons of micro USB chargers).

It'll bitch at you if you lose power, but it shouldn't be writing to disk most of the time which I believe is the only real risk for damage if it suddenly loses power. I've had a few power blips and only gotten complaints. I do plan to get an uninterruptible power supply for the consoles though, I have one already for the PC but they're not close enough to share (and TV + monitors + PC + consoles would need a bigger UPS anyway).

Kudo

I always turn my console off completely unless I need to download something.

How interested should I be in this star ocean thing? I generally like JRPGs especially those of the PS1/2 era (though PS1 ones haven't all aged well) but never checked out the series. All I know is 4 was apparently a train wreck, is this one looking better?

SO4 isn't really as bad as people make it out to be, I liked it. SO3 is better though and the director said they're aiming for that so I'm really hyped myself.
If you like JRPGs with Sci-fi I'd say it's safe to be interested in it, you might like it.

Star Ocean regularly has one of the best battle systems but their stories can be pretty mediocre to bad. They are also not for those who want a quick to finish JRPG, as they are story heavy games and can be pretty grindy at times. I personally like the first two games but haven't played the third. Also despite the annoying characters in SO4, I managed to finish it. Just don't look for a extremely great RPG in it and you might like it.
All those upcoming rhythm games are going to make it very hard for me to carry on my plan to take a long-term break from rhythm games.
Yep. This is a bad year to do that. But considering they are not story heavy games, you can always take a break from them, without seeing yourself spoiled.

Takao

Banned
I thought only the CR3 had a trophy list, how come the previous games were native Vita titles without a trophy list?

Maybe because they exist in a weird place? You can't buy the games individually on PSN, AFAIK, but they're not on the cart either. You can see the weirdness here.

SerTapTap

Star Ocean regularly has one of the best battle systems but their stories can be pretty mediocre to bad. They are also not for those who want a quick to finish JRPG, as they are story heavy games and can be pretty grindy at times. I personally like the first two games but haven't played the third. Also despite the annoying characters in SO4, I managed to finish it. Just don't look for a extremely great RPG in it and you might like it.

SO4 isn't really as bad as people make it out to be, I liked it. SO3 is better though and the director said they're aiming for that so I'm really hyped myself.
If you like JRPGs with Sci-fi I'd say it's safe to be interested in it, you might like it.

Sounds alright, and I do like sci fi (seems underutilized in games really, had enough medieval crap). I'll keep an eye for reviews and such.

All those upcoming rhythm games are going to make it very hard for me to carry on my plan to take a ~1 year break from rhythm games.

You can play 'em later, they're not going anywhere. Online co op and super spoiler heavy games are the only ones I almost always feel I need to play ASAP.

bobohoro

Good to great battle systems, lots of content, endgame that requires some mechanical understanding and poses a challenge are the pros of the series. The laughable storylines, bad script and annoying characters can be entertaining if you're in the right mindset, but can really drag the experience down a few notches. SO4 was one of the few games in my life where I felt real embarassment for some things going on and just hoped that nobody entered the room while I was playing it, the cringe nearly overpowered me.

Maid

Banned

Gameplay is good. Characters are stupid. Story is stupid. Everything is stupid. When someone like me complains about the story and characters, you know it has reach another level of stupidity.

And thank god for the dual voice option. When my friend played it on his 360 back in the day, I asked him to put on the headphone before I went mad. The dub is that horrible.

Shizuka

Maybe because they exist in a weird place? You can't buy the games individually on PSN, AFAIK, but they're not on the cart either. You can see the weirdness here.

Really weird. Another weird thing is that Square-Enix still hasn't localized the game, despite being a mobile series that got every game localized up to this point.

Redhood

Really weird. Another weird thing is that Square-Enix still hasn't localized the game, despite being a mobile series that got every game localized up to this point.

Maybe they are waiting for localizing the third game. But the game bombed on both vita and mobile.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, CR3 hasn't been localized on any platform, which is probably preventing a western PSN release of the Prequel Trilogy.

SerTapTap

Gameplay is good. Characters are stupid. Story is stupid. Everything is stupid. When someone like me complains about the story and characters, you know it has reach another level of stupidity.

And thank god for the dual voice option. When my friend played it on his 360 back in the day, I asked him to put on the headphone before I went mad. The dub is that horrible.

...maybe I shouldn't be excited about it being sci fi then? I do like Xenosaga at least though, I don't mind convoluted but interesting but this sounds like just plain bad?

bobohoro

...maybe I shouldn't be excited about it being sci fi then? I do like Xenosaga at least though, I don't mind convoluted but interesting but this sounds like just plain bad?

I mean, there are spaceships and a bunch of futuristic stuff that might get you excited, but a good sci fi story, great desgins and interesting settings?

Yeah, nope, not getting that.

Li Kao

Mmh, you could maybe try one of the PSP remakes if you can find them on the cheap. Personally, while quite a jrpg fan, I never could play the series for more than a few hours. Must be the story or the pacing I don't know, as soon as I shut down the console I feel zero will to resume playing.

Maid

Banned

Might as well hoping for Phantasy Star Nova localization instead.

SO5 could be good, but no one knows as of right now, and the only thing I'm confident about it is their battle system.

Note that everything I said above is about the 4th game. The 3rd is, well, could be good or bad depend on how the ending affect you. 1st and 2nd games are better, but it's old so I'm not sure how would people look back at it with the current standard.

Ventara

Dungeon Travelers 2 is getting an US release, retail and digital
http://gematsu.com/2015/04/dungeon-travelers-2-coming-north-america-this-summer

ATLUS, so I'll probably just import to EU, which isn't even mentioned

6c081c5f5f7b0fc5367bdb8a33a961cc.jpg

WILL BUY. Thank you Atlus for bringing these waifus over.

Same here. I need a retail copy next to my (soon to be) RCR copy. On anther note, is Shovel Knight complete? By complete I mean is it no longer gonna receiving DLC? because I would like to own a complete edition of the game if it were to come out on Vita of course.

Ventara

Same here. I need a retail copy next to my (soon to be) RCR copy. On anther note, is Shovel Knight complete? By complete I mean is it no longer gonna receive DLC because I would like to own a complete edition of the game if it were to come out on Vita of course.

Unfortunately not.

Top Bottom