• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Hmm. I was hoping for a slightly better review. On the psblog the guy said he's a one man team and i think he said he'd be releasing new content? I think I'll probably buy it to check it out myself - GW3 and SSD are highly polished by teams with tons of experience so I don't necessarily need that to be the case here.

Not that my opinion matters but I don't think we should give games a "indie curve" on reviews and opinions. I like a lot of indie games and I appreciate all the sacrifice indie developers do to make some wonderful games but I still think they should be judged on the same level with the corporate behemoths. A kid that only can afford one game a month doesn't care. He/she just wants the best game they can get with their limited money. Giving a pass to an indie developer because of a small team/budget is a disservice to consumers that want their money's worth. I personally think there is a lot of professional reviews that give out the indie curve and I think it is wrong.

Not arguing here or stating that you believe games should have an indie curve. Just stating my opinion on professional reviews. :)

A little tid-bit: as you may or may not know, the new Skullgirls character, Beowulf, is coming out on Friday. I know what you're thinking: "Friday? But Sony only allows downloadable content to be released on a Tuesday/Wednesday unless it has to coincide with a retail release?"

Well, according to Earl from Lab Zero, as of tomorrow that will not be the case. Apparently Sony's scrapping this policy in favour of a whenever approach (in the US, at the very least). This means that digital games now get to be released whenever, and the weekly update will be less important. (Obviously, retail games will still have to coincide with retail dates, and I'd imagine the weekly roundup will still be posted on a Tuesday).

This will probably not apply to the EU region because SCEE is useless (see also Brandish and how I paid £13 for a game I can't play).

A little tid-bit: as you may or may not know, the new Skullgirls character, Beowulf, is coming out on Friday. I know what you're thinking: "Friday? But Sony only allows downloadable content to be released on a Tuesday/Wednesday unless it has to coincide with a retail release?"

Well, according to Earl from Lab Zero, as of tomorrow that will not be the case. Apparently Sony's scrapping this policy in favour of a whenever approach (in the US, at the very least). This means that digital games now get to be released whenever, and the weekly update will be less important. (Obviously, retail games will still have to coincide with retail dates, and I'd imagine the weekly roundup will still be posted on a Tuesday).

This will probably not apply to the EU region because SCEE is useless (see also Brandish and how I paid £13 for a game I can't play).
whoa, very cool if true.

antibolo

Banned
SCEA can't even properly do once-a-week updates, how the hell are they going to handle releasing stuff on a potentially daily basis?

Shinriji

A friend of mine will travel abroad for a while and she left me with her 3DS XL and some games (Zelda LBW, Fire Emblem Awakening, code of princess and TAles of the Abyss). Is there a way to make backups of her saves so I can play with a new save and restore her saves afterwards?

antibolo

Banned
A friendi of mine will travel abroad for a while and she left me with her 3DS XL and some games (Zelda LBW, Fire Emblem Awakening, code of princess and TAles of the Abyss). Is there a way to make backups of her saves so I can play with a new save and restore her saves afterwards?

Not really, no. There's a utility to transfer a retail game's save to a digital version of the game, but it's non-reversible (and implies that you buy the digital version).

EDIT: Were you talking about retail games? Because yes, you can make backups of digital game saves. But for retail games you are screwed, apart from the one-way transfer above.

RedAssedApe

Banned

let's hope this is true. getting dlc and digitial titles when its ready would be cool. then again...gct

Shinriji

Not really, no. There's a utility to transfer a retail game's save to a digital version of the game, but it's non-reversible (and implies that you buy the digital version).

EDIT: Were you talking about retail games? Because yes, you can make backups of digital game saves. But for retail games you are screwed, apart from the one-way transfer above.

Retail games, yes. Too bad, then.

VLiberty

Joe Danger 2: The Movie
50% off original price: Was €7.99/£6.49/AU$11.95

Don’t Die, Mr. Robot!
50% off original price: Was €5.49/£4.49/AU$8.25

Flyhunter Origins
50% off original price: Was €6.99/£5.79/AU$10.45

JUJU
60% off original price: Was €15.99/£12.99/AU$23.95

Scram Kitty DX (PS4/PS Vita Cross Buy)
40% off original price: Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.95
Additional 20% discount for PS Plus members

While I'm sold on SK and JD2, I'm still not sure about the rest.

How is Juju? Looks like a DKCR clone which is great in my book, but I wonder if it's actually good.

SerTapTap

Limited save slots really suck. I had to overwrite a friend's save in Harvest Moon SNES because of that. He said it was okay but it still hurt erasing the lil' blue dude's digital life like that.

Shinriji

I know Code of Princess only has one save slot, but iirc the other 3 games should have multiple slots. Unless they are all already taken.

Yes, I was playing Code of Princess right now and I had to get her upgraded character to play from the beginning. The game sucks BTW, lol.

I've never played a 3DS for more than half an hour, but I'm not impressed with the system so far. The ergonomics is the worst offender. I'm still trying to figure out how to grab the system without hurting my wrists.

Well, in the end, it's the games that matters. I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem and Zelda.

SerTapTap

I've been using one since near launch and no, it just kind of digs into your left hand no matter what you do. I try to hang my hand off the side but it's still pretty bad. I think the New 3NewDS New new new is actually worse at that, or I'm just noticing it more after taking a long break from the old one.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does anyone know how to disable automatic uploading of your game saves on PS4? Getting tired of all my failed to upload messages because I ran out of space.

Producer

Yes, I was playing Code of Princess right now and I had to get her upgraded character to play from the beginning. The game sucks BTW, lol.

I've never played a 3DS for more than half an hour, but I'm not impressed with the system so far. The ergonomics is the worst offender. I'm still trying to figure out how to grab the system without hurting my wrists.

Well, in the end, it's the games that matters. I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem and Zelda.

Yeah, Code of Princess really isnt a good game lol. As for the 3DS, i dont know, never really had a problem with it. I switch back and forth between the newXL and my Vita 1000 all the time no problem.

Doombear

Does anyone know how to disable automatic uploading of your game saves on PS4? Getting tired of all my failed to upload messages because I ran out of space.

I know you can turn them on or off for each individual game. If you go to Save Data Management (or something like that) in settings, and then to the Upload to Online (or something... sorry... nowhere near my PS4 so I am just going from memory) you will see a list of all of your game saves. You have to allow or disallow each of them via Options.

My problem, for the last month or two, is that my saves no longer auto-upload whatsoever, even if they are set to. Odd.

autoduelist

Not that my opinion matters but I don't think we should give games a "indie curve" on reviews and opinions. I like a lot of indie games and I appreciate all the sacrifice indie developers do to make some wonderful games but I still think they should be judged on the same level with the corporate behemoths. A kid that only can afford one game a month doesn't care. He/she just wants the best game they can get with their limited money. Giving a pass to an indie developer because of a small team/budget is a disservice to consumers that want their money's worth. I personally think there is a lot of professional reviews that give out the indie curve and I think it is wrong.

Not arguing here or stating that you believe games should have an indie curve. Just stating my opinion on professional reviews. :)

Wasn't suggesting it should get one? I think you're misreading me -- I'm saying I was hoping that he'd knock it out of the park and therefore it would review better (rooting for an underdog that i was hoping would spawn a big success), not that he should get bonus points for doing it solo.

That said, I do think it's a mistake expecting something like Geometry Wars 3 -- the 3rd iteration of an extremely successful franchise that's had time to evolve, make mistakes, correct mistakes, etc out of a new IP by one guy. That's impossibly rare.

So it's a balance, and one more issue that plagues reviews in general. Personally, I'm glad some dude decided he loved his vita and dual stick shooters enough to make one. And as long as it's pretty good, I don't mind supporting it. At some point we do need to distinguish between small teams and $100 million budgets, somehow. The how isn't easy or straightforward though.

On a personal, non-review level the team behind GW3 doesn't really need my $10 (though they got it) and a GW4 is almost a certainty... this guy, however, does need my $10 (I'm his exact niche - a vita lover who loves dual stick shooters). I don't mind taking that into consideration with my buying habits.

Sadly, for me it was the
battery life
that mattered. Has that been resolved? I could deal with everything else, but that was a deal breaker even though there is a list of games I want to play.

Wasn't suggesting it should get one? I think you're misreading me -- I'm saying I was hoping that he'd knock it out of the park and therefore it would review better (rooting for an underdog that i was hoping would spawn a big success), not that he should get bonus points for doing it solo.

That said, I do think it's a mistake expecting something like Geometry Wars 3 -- the 3rd iteration of an extremely successful franchise that's had time to evolve, make mistakes, correct mistakes, etc out of a new IP by one guy. That's impossibly rare.

So it's a balance, and one more issue that plagues reviews in general. Personally, I'm glad some dude decided he loved his vita and dual stick shooters enough to make one. And as long as it's pretty good, I don't mind supporting it. At some point we do need to distinguish between small teams and $100 million budgets, somehow. The how isn't easy or straightforward though.

On a personal, non-review level the team behind GW3 doesn't really need my $10 (though they got it) and a GW4 is almost a certainty... this guy, however, does need my $10 (I'm his exact niche - a vita lover who loves dual stick shooters). I don't mind taking that into consideration.

Hey mate. I even said in my last line that I didn't think you nessessary believed in the indie curve. Just wanted to rant anyway. I dig your posts here. Sorry there chip.

BTW - The game isn't out on Vita yet. Don't know is there is a planned port.

Producer

Sadly, for me it was the
battery life
that mattered. Has that been resolved? I could deal with everything else, but that was a deal breaker even though there is a list of games I want to play.

the battery life on newXL is pretty much the same as the vita1000. Though i always play both with wifi turned off and medium brightness. It certainly was an improvement over og3ds.

Shizuka

I see, not a fan of Neptunia but those other two interest me.
Been thinking of pre-ordering the asian-english version of moero but guess I'll wait and see what comes out from the event.

I think we'll get Moero, but it'll be DD-only and censored like Monpiece before it.

Hikami

Don't like making threads so I'll just post this here

LTTP: PS3

Just came in a while ago, I'm like super late but finally got one. (along with Tales of Xillia)
Excuse the crappy phone quality image.
b432e4bc10.jpg

Had an Xbox 360 for all of last gen and regretted that since there were hardly any JRPGs on it and I'm so sick of shooters now. But now that I have a PS3, all those JRPGs I've missed are pretty cheap now so that's nice.

Let's see; the menu feels so slow, downloading stuff takes forever, nothing new there.. kinda expected these.

What I didn't expect though was to waste an hour trying to figure out how to use headphones on the thing.. Wasn't aware that you couldn't. Figured it'd be the same as the PSTV with bluetooth headphones but guess not :I. Had to order an RCA - 3.5mm splitter or whatever so I could use my headphones. Started a bit of Tales of Xillia and playing without headphones just doesn't feel right so I'll just have to wait for that to arrive.

Oh and I finally got to change to a premium avatar. :D
Got this one. Still don't understand why we can't change them on anything other than PS3 but oh well.

Guess what I'll do now is go through the huge list of PS3 PS+ games I've amassed over the months..

autoduelist

the battery life on newXL is pretty much the same as the vita1000. Though i always play both with wifi turned off and medium brightness. It certainly was an improvement over og3ds.

well, that's good to hear. i still need to eventually get through some drpgs on the system. i just couldn't handle it always being dead everytime I picked it up. my Vita 1000 is a champ in that regard, so that sounds fantastic.

Hey mate. I even said in my last line that I didn't think you nessessary believed in the indie curve. Just wanted to rant anyway. I dig your posts here. Sorry there chip.

BTW - The game isn't out on Vita yet. Don't know is there is a planned port.

Oh, I know. I just empathize with lone devs and it's got to be hard being compared to the greats (gw, ssd, etc) when you're just a dude putting your blood, sweat and tears into a game. But you're absolutely right, there's no other way around it. I just wish it was a homerun for his sake. But I feel that way for most games, just dual stick shooters are extra close to my heart.

And i don't know why i thought it was vita. I think he might have mentioned he was working on it in the blogpost and I misremembered.

Prodigal

Banned
Just bought a used ps4 from gamestop and the controller has these weird caps on the two Sticks. It has that bubbly or bumpy grip on top and if I take em off there's no regular tips underneath. Think I can go back to gamestop to get a non modified controller?

bobawesome

It's odd people have such differing experiences. I had to have my DS4 exchanged, and it took maybe 5 minutes on the phone to set it up and I had a new one (maybe refurb, but looked perfect) lickety split.

Customer service in general sucks. It's gotten progressively worse since the 80s (in general, not talking about Sony specifically) for several reasons not worth getting into.

I'm not totally sure I understand how you got where you were though -- if the first person quoted you one price, didn't you set it all up and have it done? Or did you say you'd call back instead? If you get a different, more expensive quote, you should just tell them that...and if they push back, just ask for a manager and explain the situation.

RE: credit cards -- i don't know the specifics (my wife does) but many credit cards now extend warranties, the amount of time depends on your card. We've never had to make use of it, but it's definitely worth looking into. Just make sure they don't do a chargeback or anything -- i don't think they do though.

Sorry, I could've sworn I replied to your message the other day but I guess I forgot. Here's how it went down:

I initially set everything up online, under the assumption that I would first be able to talk to someone to explain the situation with the lost receipt. This was around the 11th of March and I received an email telling me a shipment box was on its way. It arrived a few days later and I talked to someone from customer service who quoted me a price of $70 to repair the screen. I told them I'd think about it and hung up as I figured I'd eventually be able to talk to someone who realized the Vita 2000 hasn't been available in the US for a whole year yet and they'd give me a break. I talked to a few more people a couple of days later and explained the situation but they insisted each time that the Vita has been out for longer than a year, even after specifying that I was talking about the newer model.
Finally fed up, I resigned myself to giving them the $70 but the latest person I spoke to before sending the Vita off assured me that the repair center had ways of checking when the Vita was purchased and whether or not it was actually still under warranty. With that in mind, I shipped it off with no hesitation.

That was the 4th of the month and it arrived in the repair facility the 8th, if the tracking number is to be believed. I've heard nothing of its status since and the case number in my email doesn't work, which led to me talking to a chat agent. He asked if I sent in a receipt along with the Vita and that sidetracked the conversation and he quoted me a higher price of $130. I was so taken away that I didn't even think to tell him about the other, cheaper price. I'm still in the dark as to its status as I left the chat after some spiteful words to Sony (but giving the agent my thanks and telling him I wasn't angry at him).

It could be on its way back to me or it could be in a box somewhere.

Redhood

Yesterday I thought that now KZM is on PS+ it will be easier to find games. Booted up game to find not even a single person online. :/ Played with Bots again and went to bed.

Top Bottom