• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | June 2016

Concluded that I will not be buying Odin Sphere last night. Downloaded the demo on both PS4 and Vita, fiddled around with the different characters and that was enough for me. Looks visually stunning on the OLED, plays like a silky smooth dream at 60(ish? Seemed higher than 30, not sure if full 60)fps and is super crisp and on par with the PS4. But I can't see myself playing this game for 40-60hrs. It felt way too repetitive 1hr in.

And since apparently there will be a Grand Kingdom demo for the Vita next week I'll actually try that one out before passing on it. Turned out that the game I thought I was going to get didn't grab enough of my attention, so who knows, maybe the game I'm not expecting much from will blow me away.

RK128

Concluded that I will not be buying Odin Sphere last night. Downloaded the demo on both PS4 and Vita, fiddled around with the different characters and that was enough for me. Looks visually stunning on the OLED, plays like a silky smooth dream at 60(ish? Seemed higher than 30, not sure if full 60)fps and is super crisp and on par with the PS4. But I can't see myself playing this game for 40-60hrs. It felt way too repetitive 1hr in.

And since apparently there will be a Grand Kingdom demo for the Vita next week I'll actually try that one out before passing on it. Turned out that the game I thought I was going to get didn't grab enough of my attention, so who knows, maybe the game I'm not expecting much from will blow me away.

Gotta give the demo of Odin Sphere a shot soon too but its great to hear that it visually looks fantastic and runs very smooth on the Vita :).

Going to play the Grand Kingdom Demo extensively, so will share my thoughts on that when we get the demo. But looking forward to it; seems quite promising :D.

Gotta give the demo of Odin Sphere a shot soon too but its great to hear that it visually looks fantastic and runs very smooth on the Vita :).

Going to play the Grand Kingdom Demo extensively, so will share my thoughts on that when we get the demo. But looking forward to it; seems quite promising :D.

I can see folks enjoying Odin Sphere quite a lot. But coming from Dragon's Crown and Muramasa within the past few years, I don't feel the need for a beat'em up in this style at all. I realize that Odin is a much older game than the other two I mentioned yes, I played the PS2 version of it anyway.

But as I mentioned before I just don't feel the need to be all up in the gaming sphere as much as I did before. If I don't feel a game off the get go, I don't buy it. No more "let me play for 10hrs to get a feel for it" sort of thing. I'm lucky if I get 10hrs in a week and a half these days lol.

This is why I love demos and wish they would make a return in full force. Sure, some games get betas, but I want demos that can be accessed by everyone at any time, that just like Grand Kingdom translate progress into the final product, if you so wish to buy it. That way, not only did I experience a bit of the game that I will potentially buy, but I also made progress in it that isn't lost!

RK128

I can see folks enjoying Odin Sphere quite a lot. But coming from Dragon's Crown and Muramasa within the past few years, I don't feel the need for a beat'em up in this style at all. I realize that Odin is a much older game than the other two I mentioned yes, I played the PS2 version of it anyway.

But as I mentioned before I just don't feel the need to be all up in the gaming sphere as much as I did before. If I don't feel a game off the get go, I don't buy it. No more "let me play for 10hrs to get a feel for it" sort of thing. I'm lucky if I get 10hrs in a week and a half these days lol.

This is why I love demos and wish they would make a return in full force. Sure, some games get betas, but I want demos that can be accessed by everyone at any time, that just like Grand Kingdom translate progress into the final product, if you so wish to buy it. That way, not only did I experience a bit of the game that I will potentially buy, but I also made progress in it that isn't lost!

The bolded is awesome and more demos should do things like that :D!

Completely understand your points though, as money has been very tight for me and I don't buy new games without heavy consideration and knowing what I'm getting into. I own Odin Sphere on my PS3 to (via PS2 Classics version), so will play that if I want more content out of the game for now. Will get the Vita version later though, as I want more games from the studio to come out on Vita :D.

The bolded is awesome and more demos should do things like that :D!

Completely understand your points though, as money has been very tight for me and I don't buy new games without heavy consideration and knowing what I'm getting into. I own Odin Sphere on my PS3 to (via PS2 Classics version), so will play that if I want more content out of the game for now. Will get the Vita version later though, as I want more games from the studio to come out on Vita :D.

According to Gematsu this is how much content is in this demo, and how much is transferred:
Gematsu said:
The LiteDEMO version of the game will include access to the first two chapters of the main story, allow participation in one war per day, allow use of the Fighter, Hunter, Witch, and Medic classes, and rollover save data to the retail version.

The more detailed breakdown link is in there if you are interested but yeah.

As for Odin, the game is a vast improvement on the PS2 version both from what I remember and from what I have read. It isn't just the frames and visuals, the gameplay feels 10x better and faster, with much cooler and flashier moves.

RK128

According to Gematsu this is how much content is in this demo, and how much is transferred:

The more detailed breakdown link is in there if you are interested but yeah.

As for Odin, the game is a vast improvement on the PS2 version both from what I remember and from what I have read. It isn't just the frames and visuals, the gameplay feels 10x better and faster, with much cooler and flashier moves.

That is very good to hear about Odin Sphere. Know that the Grand Kingdom demo has a lot of content, as I've been following that game a bit :).

Will get the Vita game in the future but want to clear my backlog first and get other games I missed out on (Axiom Verge and Severed mainly; money was very tight the past few months :().

That is very good to hear about Odin Sphere. Know that the Grand Kingdom demo has a lot of content, as I've been following that game a bit :).

Will get the Vita game in the future but want to clear my backlog first and get other games I missed out on (Axiom Verge and Severed mainly; money was very tight the past few months :().

I hear you. In all honesty this month is great in general for the Vita and people have a ton of major options to choose from each and every week of this month, something that doesn't happen very often.

RK128

I hear you. In all honesty this month is great in general for the Vita and people have a ton of major options to choose from each and every week of this month, something that doesn't happen very often.

Its amazing to have such a selection of games to get on Vita :).

JP

I'm not sure if this needs it's own thread and it may well have already been mention as I don;t know when they changed it but has everybody seen the new Store on the PS4? I really like the changes, much better presentation.

Massa

After playing Dark Souls 3 I got completely sucked back in to Bloodborne. That game is so amazing.

Watching ENB's playthrough and playing along (my third time). The details that he highlights are really great; I pretty much never watch games but his videos are great.

Yasumi

Banned
I'm not sure if this needs it's own thread and it may well have already been mention as I don;t know when they changed it but has everybody seen the new Store on the PS4? I really like the changes, much better presentation.

Where the trailer plays in the background and information is on multiple pages? Don't like it at all. Presentation over functionality and annoying to navigate.

JP

Where the trailer plays in the background and information is on multiple pages? Don't like it at all. Presentation over functionality and annoying to navigate.
That's only the title page though and it's a standard background image for five seconds before the video starts and the background video stays silent unless you stay on there for ten seconds.

You can go up to the Media page and have instant access to the latest shared videos and trailers as well as recent screenshots that people have shared. Some of the games are still missing information but the Game Details page is far better organised that it used to be.

You can go down to further for separate sections for bundles including the game, add-ons, themes, avatars and the recommendations. The recommendations sections is far better organised than it used to be.

Different things for different people of course but I really like what they've done with it. :)

autoduelist

With the sheer amount of games incoming this month Grand Kingdom is quite honestly the one I'm leaning towards dropping. Just looks like a mobile f2p game to me. And by looks I mean visually (it's got absolutely NOTHING on Grand Knights History) and mechanically. Way too much coming my way as is, with Odin Sphere, God Eater and ZTD.

Wait, I should cancel my Grand Kingdom preorder? I placed the order knowing absolutely -nothing- about it.... I just had some Amazon credit I needed to 'lock up' [so other orders didn't use it] and randomly preordered it, then took a 5 minute look at the page and decided to keep it. It's not actually worth keeping? [note that I don't have interest in god eater or ZTD].

I haven't been active here because life is taking up my vita time. I'm still only second dungeon in SoSC. There are a ton of vita games i need to buy [civ, xcom, risk of rain, downwell, severed, more] but I don't see the point when I'm neck deep in a drpg.

[family, uncharted 4, ratchet, and alienation pulled me away]

Wait, I should cancel my Grand Kingdom preorder? I placed the order knowing absolutely -nothing- about it.... I just had some Amazon credit I needed to 'lock up' [so other orders didn't use it] and randomly preordered it, then took a 5 minute look at the page and decided to keep it. It's not actually worth keeping? [note that I don't have interest in god eater or ZTD].

I haven't been active here because life is taking up my vita time. I'm still only second dungeon in SoSC. There are a ton of vita games i need to buy [civ, xcom, risk of rain, downwell, severed, more] but I don't see the point when I'm neck deep in a drpg.

[family, uncharted 4, ratchet, and alienation pulled me away]

Don't cancel. There is a demo dropping on Tuesday. I am also going to give it a shot. Impressions out in the wild seem mixed, but it doesn't hurt to try the game out for ourselves. Also progress carries over to the final game as I mentioned a few posts up

Kudo

Started playing Cold Steel and it reminds me of how much I've missed more traditional JRPGs.. Great to soon have loads of them to play.

I knew nothing about Grand Kingdom when I played the beta but I had a lot if fun with it.
They only gave a glimpse of the class and character creation systems and the online war stuff was so deep it intimidated me. I think it's gonna be really cool once it releases.

autoduelist

I knew nothing about Grand Kingdom when I played the beta but I had a lot if fun with it.
They only gave a glimpse of the class and character creation systems and the online war stuff was so deep it intimidated me. I think it's gonna be really cool once it releases.

that makes me very, very happy. now Im looking forward to it again.

EDIT -- wait... -online- war? now i realize i know nothing about this game, lol. it's mp not sp?

RK128

Of all the anime games to come over. I guess there is already going to be an Asian English version? I just wasn't aware the series has any traction in the West, it's just a random shitty seasonal battle harem.

I watched some episodes of the show and.....man, its not very good :l. But the setting and gameplay could be interesting, so will give the game a shot if it comes over.

I watched some episodes of the show and.....man, its not very good :l. But the setting and gameplay could be interesting, so will give the game a shot if it comes over.

I joked about it on the Spring Anime thread. That show is terrible in so many ways it's not even funny. If they do bring it over, power to them though.
Un
surprisingly enough, it's one of the most watched shows on Crunchyroll... So there's that I guess lol.

RK128

I joked about it on the Spring Anime thread. That show is terrible in so many ways it's not even funny. If they do bring it over, power to them though.
Un
surprisingly enough, it's one of the most watched shows on Crunchyroll... So there's that I guess lol.

Saw the entirety of the show many compared this too (Chivalry of a failed knight) and man, that show is so much better in every department. Better story, better world and much stronger characters.

Saw the entirety of the show many compared this too (Chivalry of a failed knight) and man, that show is so much better in every department. Better story, better world and much stronger characters.

But guess which one of the two got a second season (currently airing) plus the Vita game? General anime audiences are... an interesting bunch. And this is not me saying I'm a monocled expert on anime. There are trends to what sells in anime and what doesn't and quality stuff for the most part doesn't.

RK128

But guess which one of the two got a second season (currently airing) plus the Vita game? General anime audiences are... an interesting bunch. And this is not me saying I'm a monocled expert on anime. There are trends to what sells in anime and what doesn't and quality stuff for the most part doesn't.

That is a good point :l. I personally hope Chivalry gets a Second Season in the future, as while the ending was great, I would love to see more of the shows world and characters.

I really think people latched on to AW due to how similar the character tropes are to SAO at points. Main Male? Kirto. Main Female? Asuna. Thing is, SAO for all its issues is a hell of a lot better then AW.

But this isn't the place for discussion like that XD. So, sorry for derailing the thread if I did that.

That is a good point :l. I personally hope Chivalry gets a Second Season in the future, as while the ending was great, I would love to see more of the shows world and characters.

I really think people latched on to AW due to how similar the character tropes are to SAO at points. Main Male? Kirto. Main Female? Asuna. Thing is, SAO for all its issues is a hell of a lot better then AW.

But this isn't the place for discussion like that XD. So, sorry for derailing the thread if I did that.

Actually it's not SAO. It's a fairly recent trend for the past few years of copying the show Irregular at Magic High School, which also got a Vita game from Bamco. I'm surprised that one didn't make it over.

VLiberty

I've just drunk-bought Knack for 6€. Actually not that drunk, but I've started regretting it right after buying it so I'm pretending I was drunk

Just to feel worse, I'm realizing that in the past month I've passed on those deals:
Second Son @10€
Talos Principle @10€
Darksiders 2 definitive @12€
Gravity Rush Remastered @12€
Transformers Devastation retail @13€
yet I thought it was a good idea to buy Knack for 6€

...I just have to hope it's not that bad, otherwise I'll never forgive myself

btw I'm gonna redeeming myself by buying Legend of Kay as soon as I get a PSN card

Now that is interesting; never heard of that game before....thanks for the heads up man :D. Is that show good? Heard of it before and its on Netflix, but never got around to watching it.

It was interesting but it's very... LN'esque lol. In a sense that the MC is this almighty amazing person that no one can compare too and whatnot so people usually frown upon it, much like Asterisk. It is the origin of all these silly "future time high school" competitions shows, this one had some interesting lore behind it, with the original works going as far as having documentations on theories and technology from the stories. Give it a watch at your own discretion :p

God Eater demo(s?) when?

I'd love to say we are gonna get them, but I highly doubt it.

After watching Greg Miller's Let's play on Kinda Funny for Oxenfree it got me curious. I saw that the game had a 14% discount. I literally played for almost 4hrs. The story is so good and spooky! If you have a PS4 you should definitely look into it!

Toki767

So I noticed something on the PS4 and I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

If you're sharing your real name with someone and look at their friend list, you will see the real name of anyone they are sharing their names with.

That seems like it shouldn't be a thing...

So I noticed something on the PS4 and I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

If you're sharing your real name with someone and look at their friend list, you will see the real name of anyone they are sharing their names with.

That seems like it shouldn't be a thing...
Can't you change that in privacy settings on PS4? I think there is a setting that lets "friends of friends" see your name, but you can also disable that.

RK128

I hope all of you guys consider picking up Steamworld Heist next week, as I am having a blast playing it so far. Will share my thoughts on the game when it releases but I having nothing but good things to say about the title so far :D.

Quick

Banned
Debating on picking up the Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls bundle on the Store. Worth it, or is Heavy Rain still buggy?

Hikami

Zero Time Dilemma this month o/

Haven't been using my consoles/handhelds much in the past few months. Was in that state where I needed to take a break from gaming. Glad a game I'm actually excited to play is coming out soon though.

Haven't been keeping up with E3 stuff either. Just hoping we get a Persona 5 release date for the west from that.

I'm honestly not that excited about this year's E3. But to be fair, I have been utterly surprised not too long ago. Remember how hype the last E3 was? But yeah I wanna see more of Persona 5 in regards to the West, as well as more Horizon and Mass Effect Andromeda. All else that is already confirmed and I didn't mention gets a big "meh" from me. So yeah, looking forward to these 3 plus whatever surprises we get (Bend Studios, Santa Monica, etc).

RK128

I'm honestly not that excited about this year's E3. But to be fair, I have been utterly surprised not too long ago. Remember how hype the last E3 was? But yeah I wanna see more of Persona 5 in regards to the West, as well as more Horizon and Mass Effect Andromeda. All else that is already confirmed and I didn't mention gets a big "meh" from me. So yeah, looking forward to these 3 plus whatever surprises we get (Bend Studios, Santa Monica, etc).

I'm excited about the rumored Crash game in addition to seeing more of Horizon, the possible announcement of God of War IV and other stuff Sony has in store. Hopeful we will see a new KH3 world announced too.

RK128

But we already know what XSEED will be showing!

Fate Exstella and Akiba Beat :p.

Maybe some localization news on Valkary Drive & Ys 2017 too :).

Edit: We also have the Asterisk War game Bamco is rumored to be localizing too. Maybe they will announced it at E3 too.

Saphirax

Maybe some localization news on Valkary Drive & Ys 2017 too :).

Edit: We also have the Asterisk War game Bamco is rumored to be localizing too. Maybe they will announced it at E3 too.

It's way too early for Ys 8. We'll probably hear about it after the ps4 version is out.

All I want from Bamco is Summon Night 6.

And Tales of Vesperia for ps4 but that's never going to happen.

RK128

It's way too early for Ys 8. We'll probably hear about it after the ps4 version is out.

All I want from Bamco is Summon Night 6.

And Tales of Vesperia for ps4 but that's never going to happen.

I think we will hear about Summon Night 6 soon. It has a PS4 and Vita version, released in Japan already and the localized PSP version of SN5 did well critically and sales (I think); they will bring it over.

Saphirax

I know that, but getting release windows would be nice.

Could be close to the Japanese release dates. That would be a pleasant surprise.

On that note. I hope Fate Extella won't just play as a dull musou.

I think we will hear about Summon Night 6 soon. It has a PS4 and Vita version, released in Japan already and the localized PSP version of SN5 did well critically and sales (I think); they will bring it over.

And it's been trademarked! Maybe someone other than Bamco will be bringing it over though.

Top Bottom