• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | September 2015

autoduelist

Yeah, I do understand what you're saying. Personally (and I think I'm in the minority on this one), I would happily take these ports-with-problems from Sony than nothing at all - both Borderlands & Resident Evil have been enjoyable for me.

But they both also show that Sony has no problem releasing un-optimized ports. I believe that Borderlands; Resi & Jak would've run better had they been given a bit longer in development to iron out issues.

Oh, I'm totally fine with 'ports-with-problems' too. I don't even notice the issues that make it 'unplayable' most of the time, and even if I do, it doesn't really phase me as I just figure that was the best they could do.

"would've run better had they been given a bit longer in development to iron out issues."

Oh, for sure. The more time the better, although games have a budget and a deadline that are tightly connected (that is, the money will run out) so there's only so much you can do sometimes. And sometimes, it would just take too many concessions (enemy count = 1!) or something major ("to fix this we'd need to rewrite our entire physics engine!"). In tech projects, sometimes you just need to cut features or leave off some polish to get it out the door on time... unfortunately, in gaming those cut corners tend to be very obvious, whereas in an more utilitarian application you may never know some feature was supposed to be in the menu bar.

I kinda forgot the point we were originally discussing and how this relates to it, though. Ico on Vita I think? :p

Yeah. Not that it matters... during the weekends sometimes we need to squeeze good conversations out of random tangents.

I think Ico would be a good fit with Vita... then again, I think most games are good fits for the vita. I'm truly excited about xcom and civrev2... I wish people would just look back at the vast library the vita is accruing, realize the error of their ways, and go out and buy one. It'll never set sales charts on fire but we can hope for a long tail that keeps games coming for years.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
That is true but something about those shots makes it look even worse than what I was expecting. I mean:

YnNK-PSV-2ch_09-29-15_002.jpg

Goddamn lol.
It's just sub-native res, but imo it doesn't look that bad
YnNK-PSV-2ch_09-29-15_001.jpg

Someone linked a video on the comments there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=8&v=tndNV_y95g8

Yup, it looks bad. Didn't watch the whole thing, but seems to run okay-ish.

I wasn't interested in the game, but now that i saw this gameplay i am lol.

Someone linked a video on the comments there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=8&v=tndNV_y95g8

Yup, it looks bad. Didn't watch the whole thing, but seems to run okay-ish.

You know, I actually have very little to criticize about that. I'd always expected that the game would look pretty on Vita but run terribly (which matters in an action-RPG), but they've given it a graphical downgrade and it seems to run pretty well.

I'd honestly rather games did that than pushed graphics and have loads of slowdown. So yeah, I'm actually oddly impressed.

(Although a number of games have shown you can have graphics with performance, but Gust are a smaller developer so I have to cut them a bit of slack).

FDC1

EuroGAF here, no weekly update on the blog yet, very little added to the store, is there something special with the update this week or it's just SCEE being SCEE?

EuroGAF here, no weekly update on the blog yet, very little added to the store, is there something special with the update this week or it's just SCEE being SCEE?

EU blog runs on GCT now
At least Fred Dutton is a cool dude who responds to questions

wR41x7u.png

RK128

Mega Man Legends is up on PSN :D! https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...e=Google&utm_term=ps-ga-871&utm_content=Brand

An interesting thing to not, it lists PSP as a platform its playable on; the press-release of Legends landing on PSN last week stated that the game wasn't playable on PSP. So, I guess either they resolved the issue with the PSP version or they just said "Eh, lets just throw it up for PSP despite issues running".

Regardless, hope everyone gets the game and enjoys it :).

NewDust

anybody having a problem signing in to the web store?

Nope, just tried to login in the US store and went without hitch. Might have been a offline for a short while for the store update. But on the other hand I had issues today redeeming codes in the EU store and the EU blog has also been offline...

Nope, just tried to login in the US store and went without hitch. Might have been a offline for a short while for the store update. But on the other hand I had issues today redeeming codes in the EU store and the EU blog has also been offline...

You have to allow cookies from all domains in your browser to login there. You can change that setting back after the first login.

weird. I tried my girlfriends account on the web store worked perfectly.
Tried mine, signs in then says sign in failed and contact customer support.

So far they say im not banned ( i shouldnt be i havent played online in weeks)
Shes checking into it now.

Edit: They said something about maintenance etc. My account isnt banned nothing wrong with it, no new log on systems. Just not working. Weird

Ephidel

Did anyone else pick up the Vita version of Tetris Ultimate during the sale a while back? Or at all, I guess.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with online play, because it doesn't matter what game type I choose, or how long I leave it connecting, I never actually seem to end up connecting to anyone :|

And if anyone has managed to make it work, did you do anything in particular that I can try?

Tizoc

So
Corpse Party PSP games are on sale on US PSN.

Ace Combat PSP is on sale too, is this one worth getting? How does it stack up against the PS2 AC games?

So
Corpse Party PSP games are on sale on US PSN.

Ace Combat PSP is on sale too, is this one worth getting? How does it stack up against the PS2 AC games?

WHAT? HOW MUCH ahhhh
Decided to check Ace Combat is 20. Half off. Bah I was hoping for 10 bucks. damn you Bandai

The games are good and they can get away with it

The complaints about "Atlus tax" are getting old

Maybe physical, but there's no way I'm buying a $50 digital game. Really the only way they get away with it is because they regularly run deep sales.

This is the first Vita game I can recall that's more than $40 on PSN, but then again I've only had a Vita since early 2014, so maybe I missed something back in the day.

Maybe physical, but there's no way I'm buying a $50 digital game. Really the only way they get away with it is because they regularly run deep sales.

This is the first Vita game I can recall that's more than $40 on PSN, but then again I've only had a Vita since early 2014, so maybe I missed something back in the day.

Hey I completely agree that digital games should never be priced like retail titles, but that's not an ATLUS problem. I only buy digital versions of retail games on sale. Even $40 is dumb when the cart is $40.

graywolf323

this, they lost a sale with their price gouging, I can sorta understand it for physical with all the extras they put it but it's just a slap in the face towards fan when they do it with digital as well since you get nothing for the extra $10

Almost time for the new thread and I think this is like my third post. Nothing personal guys, I just haven't played my Vita in like 3 months. That's gonna change tonight when I play MML for the first time in like 15 years

RK128

Almost time for the new thread and I think this is like my third post. Nothing personal guys, I just haven't played my Vita in like 3 months. That's gonna change tonight when I play MML for the first time in like 15 years

Have fun with it man :D! I'm getting it tomorrow after my course is done (19th Century Literature) and I will have a blast playing it tomorrow :).

incpdo

Have fun with it man :D! I'm getting it tomorrow after my course is done (19th Century Literature) and I will have a blast playing it tomorrow :).
I'm getting it on Friday but I'm actually praying for megaman legends 2 to be released on psn as well

RK128

I'm getting it on Friday but I'm actually praying for megaman legends 2 to be released on psn as well

It has to come to PSN; Legends 1 had a lot of legal tape behind it that somehow worked out for this re-release on PSN. So, Legends 2, a game with little legal issues has a great shot at coming to PSN.

And if it does, Sony will likely help Capcom out with the costs; that has to be why Legends 1 came to NA PSN after all :D.

Runs pretty well but damn. Definitely gonna stick to the PS4 version. Not like the Vita version has been announced or anything but even if it does, I'll be remote playing this instead.

Also got my copy of P4D. Gonna play this soon :3

That footage of the game looks fine; not the best looking game but still a colorful looking title :). I don't expect much from Vita ports; just them to look good/nice and to run well. And it seems like this game fits into that group, so, I will get the Vita version whenever it comes over :D.

And have fun with P4D Names :D! It looks like a blast to play :).

Hikami

You guys were right, Ys MoC is great.

The voice acting was really surprising since there wasn't any at all in the other Ys games I've played.
..until I researched it and found out that Oath in Felghana had VA but it was removed from the Steam version (but could be patched back in).. Damn, wish I had known about that sooner.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
That is true but something about those shots makes it look even worse than what I was expecting. I mean:

YnNK-PSV-2ch_09-29-15_002.jpg

Goddamn lol.

Its going to be approaching the kind of situation the PSP had Vs. the PS3. As the PSP was pretty much similar to a PS2. Which is why so many of the smaller PS2 devs moved over to the PSP.

Then eventually the situation will come down to when the Vita will start holding back other games due to its own hardware limitations, for the multiplat titles.

RK128

Its going to be approaching the kind of situation the PSP had Vs. the PS3. As the PSP was pretty much similar to a PS2. Which is why so many of the smaller PS2 devs moved over to the PSP.

Then eventually the situation will come down to when the Vita will start holding back other games due to its own hardware limitations, for the multiplat titles.

I never really thought of it like that.....but you are completely right; as more and more JP developers shift gears to PS4 development, their Vita versions will suffer due to the hardware not being close to the PS4's power.

Thankfully, next year's line up of Vita releases aren't going to suffer (as this case seems to be due to ensuring a stable frame rate rather than limitations of Vita hardware; Ar No Surge Plus heavily mirrored the PS3 version but had bad slowdown at points for example).

Its the 2017 and 2018 games that are going to be suffering from this, so its going to be interesting to see where JP developers go with this issue regarding Vita development in the future.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I never really thought of it like that.....but you are completely right; as more and more JP developers shift gears to PS4 development, their Vita versions will suffer due to the hardware not being close to the PS4's power.

Thankfully, next year's line up of Vita releases aren't going to suffer (as this case seems to be due to ensuring a stable frame rate rather than limitations of Vita hardware; Ar No Surge Plus heavily mirrored the PS3 version but had bad slowdown at points for example).

Its the 2017 and 2018 games that are going to be suffering from this, so its going to be interesting to see where JP developers go with this issue regarding Vita development in the future.

No its not the Vita version will suffer, its the PS4 version will suffer due to the Vita... As they will be unable to make a title in scale to the PS4s hardware capability due to being tied down to the Vitas specs.

Its similar to how God Eater 2 was unable to evolve much due to being tied down to the PSP. While in Rage Burst the new section which was designed with the Vita specs in mind looked a lot better. Even Toukiden was similar in that aspect as it was also tied down to the PSP version.

Another reverse example is looking at SAO: HF you can see a huge difference with the Infinity Moment sections which were based off of the PSP hardware specs and the Hollow Area sections which were based off of the Vita hardware specs.

RK128

No its not the Vita version will suffer, its the PS4 version will suffer due to the Vita... As they will be unable to make a title in scale to the PS4s hardware capability due to being tied down to the Vitas specs.

Its similar to how God Eater 2 was unable to evolve much due to being tied down to the PSP. While in Rage Burst the new section which was designed with the Vita specs in mind looked a lot better.

Another reverse example is looking at SAO: HF you can see a huge difference with the Infinity Moment sections which were based off of the PSP hardware specs and the Hollow Area sections which were based off of the Vita hardware specs.

I guess its a case of issues of multi-console development; you make everyone happy, but the core game isn't pushing any of the hardware its on to the fullest potential.

Your example with SAO is completely right; the Hollow Area was far larger than the normal floors and thus was the stronger package for Hollow Fragment.

I would love for every game to have a Vita release but if it means games suffer....than developers should think long and hard about multi-platform releases. Is it worth having more sales in JP by making your game Vita/PS3/PS4? Or having your game only on PS Vita or PS4 to push the hardware to its fullest?

Bamco does a good job with this having the core version be the Vita game, and building the game up-wards for the PS3/PS4 versions; Digimon Cyber Sleuth is a good example of this, as the game looks fantastic on the Vita but looks even better on PS4 thanks to playing with its hardware after work on the Vita game was complete.

Its up to the publisher and developer about which platforms their games release on, so while many of us would love a Vita or PS4 version of many games, the developer has to think about what is best for there game in the long run.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Remember that for a great deal of these games the PS4 version will sell like a turd in both the west and Japan, sell pretty poorly in the west on the Vita, and do respectably well on the Vita in Japan.

They're starting with the Vita in mind for most of these with everything else being gravy.

Producer

Remember that for a great deal of these games the PS4 version will sell like a turd in both the west and Japan, sell pretty poorly in the west on the Vita, and do respectably well on the Vita in Japan.

They're starting with the Vita in mind for most of these with everything else being gravy.

Yeah, thats probably for the best. The games being developed for vita then ported for ps4 is great since they often improve framerate, loading times, IQ etc.

I just want Ys 8 to be 60fps.

Top Bottom