• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Picks Sale NA

Johndoey

Banned
I tried out the demo for NieR Automata, but the battle system kinda bored me. I wasn’t expecting something Bayonetta-esque, but the demo was sub-KH1 when it came to fighting. Was 2B just overleved for demo purposes or something? Is the fighting in the full game more enjoyable?
The battle system isn't significantly different in the full game, but imo it's a title you come to for the strength of the writing and characters.

.la1n

I have been waiting for NieR Automata to go on sale again. I'll echo the others on Yakuza 0; everyone should play that game.

Johndoey

Banned
Hhhgnh I really want GTAV so I can replay it again but I want destiny 2. Gaf, what do you recommend?
Depends on how you felt about Destiny 1 honestly. I mean GTAV is GTAV, still a great game, will always be a great game.

The first person mode is cool but eh.

GK5nQbj.gif

DigSCCP

TIME TO GO BACK TO KAMUROCHOOOOOOOOOO !

Now waiting for Persona 5 sub-40 and I´m done buying games this year...i think lol

So turns out the copy of Yakuza 0 I ordered last month was from a scammer, or something (on Amazon) because now everyone is saying they got bogus tracking codes etc.). I've requested a cancellation and contacted Amazon to notify them of the situation as well.

Luckily, it's practically the same price on PSN now, thanks to this sale. Yay :D

Mooreberg

So turns out the copy of Yakuza 0 I ordered last month was from a scammer, or something (on Amazon) because now everyone is saying they got bogus tracking codes etc.). I've requested a cancellation and contacted Amazon to notify them of the situation as well.

Luckily, it's practically the same price on PSN now, thanks to this sale. Yay :D
Same exact thing happened to me. Amazon has gone to hell in the past year.

Kwixotik

Everybody who doesn't have it should buy Divinity OS at that price. One of the best RPGs in years, serviceable co-op, lengthy.

I think I'll just get Titanfall 2.

dapoktan

is Nier better on PS4 than PC? I heard PC had issues, but I rly appreciate PC load times on the SSD... I have a pretty capable PC running on a GeForce 980

is Nier better on PS4 than PC? I heard PC had issues, but I rly appreciate PC load times on the SSD... I have a pretty capable PC running on a GeForce 980

It's not good on either of them (tech-wise) but with a 980 you'd be a fool to get it on PS4. PS4 Pro version is like 1080p 40-60fps with a mix of medium and high settings of PC, or something like that. You probably won't be getting a locked framerate but the game will look a hell of a lot better on PC.

Does the Manhunt port include the feature where the director speaks to you through a headset if you use one? Oddly tempted to revisit that for some reason.

This. Also, does anyone know if the feature where you wear a mic and the hunters can hear you if you are breathing too loudly is in either?

partime

Why does Yakuza get so much praise if it received an 85 on metacritic?

Is the 85 geared towards those with high expectations from previous titles,

or from newbies like myself who's used to Sony pampering them with high caliber titles like Uncharted?

Eusis

or from newbies like myself who's used to Sony pampering them with high caliber titles like Uncharted?
80s are really good score under normal circumstances and a lot of fan favorite games are in that range.

Though that's also a reason some people don't trust reviews since those are the games they'd give 9s to instead.

StereoVsn

The game is somewhat niche and "very Japanese" plus has a bit of jank.

On the other hand it has a huge amount of content, great mini games, very good story, cool fighting system that gets better as you upgrade, awesome ambiance that makes you feel like you are in Tokyo, and amazing set of characters both on Protagonist and Villain sides.

Edit: Separately, Divinity OS is a steal at that price. It's a great RPG with best turned based combat in the business. It's a seriously good game with great co-op system. It's not as complex as people make it out to be.

I don't know what metacritic has to do with this. But the reason Yakuza 0 gets so many praises around GAF is really simple. It's a surprisingly great video game. From its captivating story to its fun gameplay and wealth of (worthwhile) side contents, Yakuza 0 is truly a one of a kind game.

A lot of really incredible or unique games don't have AAA budgets like Uncharted or Horizon. Yakuza is not perfect, but it seems like a lot of people think the strengths far outweigh those flaws.

Are you not a fan of any 85~ metacritic games? I went and checked the metacritic for a bunch of my favourite games, ones that I would also consider timeless classics and a lot of them were 85 or under.

Kill3r7

I don't know what metacritic has to do with this.

But the reason Yakuza 0 gets so many praises is really simple. It's a surprisingly great video game. From its captivating story to its fun gameplay and wealth of (worthwhile) side contents, Yakuza 0 is a truly one of a kind game.

I own most Yakuza games and have yet to enjoy any of them. So how is Yakuza 0 any different than the PS2 or PS3 games?

KyleCross

$6 for GalGun is a steal. If you don't mind your pervy anime games it's a solid on-rails shooter with a lot of replay value.

I'm interested in picking up Nier Automata, but haven't played the first one. Thoughts?

Also, didn't want to make a new thread so I thought I'd ask it here for any advice. Question - do I run the risk of having my PSN account banned from online play if I buy No Man's Sky digitally on the store, after having requested a refund last year after launch? I seem to recall heresay that Sony was targeting accounts that re-bought digital games for which a refund had previously been issued. Thanks in advance.

dapoktan

It's not good on either of them (tech-wise) but with a 980 you'd be a fool to get it on PS4. PS4 Pro version is like 1080p 40-60fps with a mix of medium and high settings of PC, or something like that. You probably won't be getting a locked framerate but the game will look a hell of a lot better on PC.

thanks! i guess i'll wait for it on PC.. but I WILL pick up Yakuza 0

yay~

Eusis

Edit: Separately, Divinity OS is a steal at that price. It's a great RPG with best turned based combat in the business. It's a seriously good game with great co-op system. It's not as complex as people make it out to be.
True. It's less "want to get into a Paradox strategy game" and more "do you want to manually level in Dragon Age or do auto leveling?" It's a step up from that but not a full on leap ahead in complexity of systems and being dynamic. Whatever causes you an issue you can probably look online about anyway.

I own most Yakuza games and have yet to enjoy any of them. So how is Yakuza 0 any different than the PS2 or PS3 games?

It is the best in the series, in almost everything that it does. They've added a lot of stuff to its combat, it has imo the best story and pacing in the series, they've added a bunch of really fun mini-games and side activities to do it, etc.

It is still Yakuza tho. So if you haven't enjoyed any of the past entries, then you probably won't enjoy Yakuza 0 either. But the reason why suddenly so many people are talking about Yakuza is because Yakuza 0 provided a sort of reset for the series in the west and a lot of people are just discovering the series through it. Coupled with the fact that Yakuza 0 is arguably the best Yakuza game to date, then it's pretty easy to see why people are praising it so much.

watdaeff4

Hhhgnh I really want GTAV so I can replay it again but I want destiny 2. Gaf, what do you recommend?

GTAV is on sale a bit more frequently now. If you must get one now and wait on the other, I would recommend Destiny 2 now when the community is at its peak, it's the hot thing etc. then pick up GTAV when it's on sale again (which is more than likely to happen before the end of the year) to replay the game.

Strongly recommend Street Fighter V to anyone who gave up on it at release. I bought it recently and am shocked at how great it is, after dumping it 1 month after release back in 2016. So many characters, so many tweaks, and easily accessible.

Probably my favourite PS4 game now.

Resisting Yakuza 0 and some other titles. The backlog is real guys. -grrrr- I want to buy it so bad though! BUT NO I RESERVED MYSELF TO THE BACKLOG FIRST!

I'm interested in picking up Nier Automata, but haven't played the first one. Thoughts?

This game is soooo amazing. You don't need to play the first one. The story isn't directly related. You get bad ass Platinum Games combat, amazing storyline, really awesome soundtrack, great atmosphere.

I highly recommend it. One point to note. Do not stop at Ending A. The story continues on.

i-Lo

The USD to CAD market value atm suggests that us canadians ought to be paying less than $45 for Yakuza 0 and yet it isn't the case. Guess, I'll give it a miss for now.

Top Bottom