• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Picks Sale NA

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Why does Yakuza get so much praise if it received an 85 on metacritic?

Is the 85 geared towards those with high expectations from previous titles,

or from newbies like myself who's used to Sony pampering them with high caliber titles like Uncharted?

Why does Naughty Dog get so much praise if their latest game received an 85 on Metacritic?

See what I did there? :D

Yakuza0disco.gif

Y'all need to get Yakuza 0 if you haven't already.

Currently playing it in the uk. It's quickly become my favourite yakuza after I fell in love with five, and four. Wanted to play it for an hour and ended up playing it for 5 hrs instead.

God, it's so so good. I mean legitimately, incredibly good. The story quickly enthralls you and then super strong gameplay loop and varied gameplay gets it hooks deep within you.

Zolo

Why does Naughty Dog get so much praise if their latest game received an 85 on Metacritic?

See what I did there? :D

85-90 is basically the new 90-95. Or to put it another way, what got 90-95 back in the day would generally be more likely to get 85-90 now.

Yakuza 0 is so good. One of those games where you're just screaming at the screen in disbelief that it's so good.

or from newbies like myself who's used to Sony pampering them with high caliber titles like Uncharted?
Story/style is about as good as it gets but the actual mechanics and presentation are wonky every once in a while, and its not a complete game changer like Breath of the Wild or Skyrim.

I tried out the demo for NieR Automata, but the battle system kinda bored me. I wasn’t expecting something Bayonetta-esque, but the demo was sub-KH1 when it came to fighting. Was 2B just overleved for demo purposes or something? Is the fighting in the full game more enjoyable?
It's not very good and arguably gets even worse after a certain point, but you can cheese through it so it's unobtrusive for the most part.

OmegaDL50

Are the Styx games decent?

I've seen them go on price frequently in various Steam sales, but getting both for $27 seems like a good deal.

Mind you I have no idea if the PC versions have significant advantages over the PS4 versions, I mean enough to consider just getting them on PC instead.

All ears on info on this, thanks.

Wadiwasi

Banned
How is Divinity Original Sin? I've heard amazing things. Is the PS4 interface all right?

I assume it will look the same as what it changes to when you use a controller on the PC. It was really intuitive and slick. No problems at all.

This game is $12, if anyone was even mildly curious about it.....go ahead and pull the trigger. I was looking for a physical copy the other day just to add to my PS4 collection.

Story wise it is extremely unique. Many emotions. The setting is 1980s Japan, which adds some nostalgia factor. My dad has pictures from a 1987 business trip there and OMG it looks like the game, from the square eyeglasses, grey suits, and clubs.

Gameplay is straightforward but has the option for depth. So it appeals to both casuals and hardcore.

It has fine details, like arcades with actual sega games, mini games like bowling and batting cages.

The dialogue is mature but peppered with light humor. No cursing for "shock value" like other MA titles

Simply put there's nothing like it, not since Shenmue IMO.

wvan13

I've seen people in the thread praise Divinity: Original Sin's combat, but how is story and characters? Can you compare it to something? Somebody said Diablo earlier, and then another said it's not like Diablo.

Burglekutt

quick question. I own a physical copy of street fighter v but cant find it anywhere. If I buy the digital version do I have to re-download the entire game or will the disc download still work?

Keym

Is star wars BF worth getting, even though the sequel is coming out soon? For reference, I had fun with the beta, but I don't want the playerbase to disappear in a couple of months..

StereoVsn

I've seen people in the thread praise Divinity: Original Sin's combat, but how is story and characters? Can you compare it to something? Somebody said Diablo earlier, and then another said it's not like Diablo.
Story wise it's less then you would get out of say Baldur's Gate 2 or Fallout 2 or Pillars of Eternity but it's certainly better then say Diablo 3. There is a lot of humor and overall I found it quite good overall. Characterization is not the strongest through.

It's an enjoyable story coupled with a huge amount of options to tackle various objectives alongside an amazing combat system. For example, say you want to chros a chasm. You can find a bridge, find an underground shortcut or if you have enough skill, throw a port stone on the other side with Telekinesis and just teleport across.

For $11, this is a no brainer and an amazing deal. Note that the sequel is coming out on PC Friday but it won't hit consoles for a while and will certainly not be $11.

DonF

quick question. I own a physical copy of street fighter v but cant find it anywhere. If I buy the digital version do I have to re-download the entire game or will the disc download still work?

You Will have to re download the game. In fact you have to delete the current version and then download from library

Elandyll

Banned
Got TF2, NFS Rivals complete (seemed like a good deal at $7.99) and the BF (free) season pass for $20.

Alllllrithty then :)

.. I have no idea when I'll have time to actually play these of course.

ryan13ts

Pretty good sale, might pick up Nier this time around.

Random aside, does Shovel Knight ever go on sale? Been waiting to pick it up until it goes on sale, but it never seems to, on any system for that matter.

Kill3r7

It is the best in the series, in almost everything that it does. They've added a lot of stuff to its combat, it has imo the best story and pacing in the series, they've added a bunch of really fun mini-games and side activities to do it, etc.

It is still Yakuza tho. So if you haven't enjoyed any of the past entries, then you probably won't enjoy Yakuza 0 either. But the reason why suddenly so many people are talking about Yakuza is because Yakuza 0 provided a sort of reset for the series in the west and a lot of people are just discovering the series through it. Coupled with the fact that Yakuza 0 is arguably the best Yakuza game to date, then it's pretty easy to see why people are praising it so much.

I think I might give the series another shot but will wait for when I have some free time to play it.

sapples

Neo Member
Pretty good sale, might pick up Nier this time around.

Random aside, does Shovel Knight ever go on sale? Been waiting to pick it up until it goes on sale, but it never seems to, on any system for that matter.

Besides on steam during the holiday sales I rarely ever see it on sale.

Bowl0l

Warning!
There is a bug in the PSN store.
It will cause you not able to add the game in your cart and the game will not appear in your download list.

My setup:
1. Password required for purchase
2. Cancel the purchase when the prompt to key in password appear. Then continue to checkout immediately.

Money is deducted from the account, email for receipt still received but the games are not listed in the PSN app download list (games are listed as downloadable in PS4 itself).

netguy503

Strongly recommend Street Fighter V to anyone who gave up on it at release. I bought it recently and am shocked at how great it is, after dumping it 1 month after release back in 2016. So many characters, so many tweaks, and easily accessible.

Probably my favourite PS4 game now.

But it's $15 with Best Buy GCU.

Does anyone have the issue where you can't buy anything online in a web browser? I can't check out I always get check your transaction history.

EDIT: Just ended up buying PSN cards

Does anyone have the issue where you can't buy anything online in a web browser? I can't check out I always get check your transaction history.

EDIT: Just ended up buying PSN cards
Yes. Apparently if you accidentally put the wrong CVV code, or even just look at the website funny, it won't work for like 24 hrs or more to do a purchase.

Of course, using the exact same card info on your actual console seems to be fine. I've had this issue for a weeks, and yet I was able to buy Yakuza 0 via web browser no problem!

Well fuck now I have no reason to not try out Yakuza.
tumblr_inline_ngdkk6Cin81qa6ecl.gif

Qwyjibo

Is it finally time to buy Yakuza 0?

The physical version hasn't gone on sale at all (in Canada). Not even once. I feel like this is a game that I would like to eventually re-sell/trade-in but shit, I also want to play the goddamn thing...

Is it finally time to buy Yakuza 0?

The physical version hasn't gone on sale at all (in Canada). Not even once. I feel like this is a game that I would like to eventually re-sell/trade-in but shit, I also want to play the goddamn thing...
This is a game where you can get over 100 hours of enjoyment out of it EASY.

40 US$ is a freaking steal tbh.

Alright random internet person, you have made a convincing argument. Buying this finally.
Don't worry buddy, I'm a Yakuza expert. If you are indeed buying this, do head on over to the OT.

Also, here are some things you should know if you're playing a Yakuza game for the first time.

• Remember that there is no autosave. You have to save at a phone in your home base, or on the streets.
  • Just play at your own pace. The game is fairly slow but starts to open up by chapter 2 so you can just follow the main story, or do substories at your own pace it's up to you.
  • Substories aren't marked on the main map, but you CAN obtain an item later on for both characters that reveals the start location for them.
  • The game allows you to finish every single side activity before the ending of the game, as well as AFTER finishing the story so don't worry about that.
And finally:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Top Bottom