• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game of the Year 2014

tanuki

Towerfall: Ascension. My girlfriend and I are still playing this. Almost finished hardcore mode. Multiplayer Vs is one of the best games ever if you can get 3 friends over.

Binding of Isaac was superb too.

Brothers too. Thought that was last year!

Towerfall vs friends is the most fun I've had with a game all year. Binding of Isaac is a close second for being the most addiciting single player game I've played in a long time. Dead Nation for long nights of replaying and replaying difficult levels in co-op. Trine 2 for being beautiful and engaging in both SP and co-op. Resogun for being so polished and fun/frustrating.

1. towerfall
2. binding of isaac
3. dead nation
4. resogun
5. trine 2

Barely touched Spelunky yet, I think that's another one that could've made the list if I had put enough time into it

maouvin

Dragon's Crown. But I bought it at launch.
From the games I got with PS+, Soul Sacrifice - but US got it last year.
From this year's games I got with PS+, Velocity 2X or Pix, I guess.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I’ve beaten every game on the ‘best’ list, and put at least two hours into every game on the ‘worst’ list, sometimes much more. Many of the games I didn’t play because I wasn’t interested.

Best:
1. Spelunky
2. Don’t Starve
3. Pixeljunk Shooter
4. Dead Nation
5. Muramasa Rebirth
6. Dust: An Elysian Tale

Worst:
1. Binding of Isaac
2. Doki Doki Universe
3. Playstation All Stars
4. Velocity 2x

I thought I would never disagree with GAF as much about a game as I did with Velocity, then Isaac came mere months later. The reception to that one on here really had me feeling like I was in some alternate dimension or something, or there was some sustained 'Truman Show'-esque trolling going on. Absolutely horrible game.
Hating on Velocity 2X AND Binding of Isaac? I'm very disappointed in you.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth takes the number one spot for me. There is plenty of new content and having it easily available in my living room is a large plus.

pr0cs

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

It has made up for the loss of Driveclub PS+ for me.
Initially I didn't think much of Binding, but man once it gets the hooks in it's really hard to stop playing, fantastic game.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Not only is it EASILY the PS+ game of the year, its probably in the top three games of the year period(as someone who's only in the PlayStation ecosystem).

dralla

Of the ones I've played, Binding of Isaac for single player, TowerFall for (local) multiplayer. I hear great things about Steamworld Dig but I've yet to play it. I'm bummed I missed out on Don't Starve and Outlast, didn't have a PS4 then.

Clockwork5

Best: Velocity 2x
-Mechanics are great and unique
-Controls are spot on, fluid and responsive
-Great variety of gameplay

Honorable Mention: Spelunky
-addictive
-addictive
-addictive

Biggest Disappointment: Binding of Isaac
-shooting mechanics ruin an otherwise promising game
-lame items
-terrible art direction and "humor"

Afrodium

Banned
Isaac for sure. I've bought two full-priced retail games since getting it on Plus (Mordor and Dragon Age) and haven't made much progress in either due to this superb game.

Biggest Disappointment: Binding of Isaac
-shooting mechanics ruin an otherwise promising game
-lame items
-terrible art direction and "humor"

WHAT!?

I've played a bit of Binding of Isaac but it's just not for me. I don't like how it controls and I'm not keen on the art style either.

I'll try and give it another chance at some point though.

I'll say Velocity 2X though I still haven't beaten it yet. I don't like how you have to have a certain amount of XP to unlock the later levels.

Karu

Only listing games I actually played (for a bit). So while Hotline Miami is the best game of that particular list, it won't get a mention beyond this one right here.

Bioshock Infinite - fantastic story, serviceable gameplay.
DmC - Never played a DmC before and enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Middle
Borderlands 2 - It's Borderlands.
Tomb Raider - Uncharted clone through and through, but quite enjoyable.
Spelunky & Luftrausers - While good games, they can't sustain my level of interest past the 2 hour mark. When I show my disappointment with "no AAA games" and such, this is my personal (!) reason to do so.

Flop
Brothers - I don't like it. Just not fun and the story not enough to keep me at it.
Frozen Synpase Prime - Maybe this is an fun game on PC, on PS3 it is not.

Overall
Great year, especially in the first half of the year. Left some months out in the summer, though I missed only a few titles I wuld have liked to play. If I had to decide which one GotY gets... probably Bioshock.

Puru

BoI Rebirth, Spelunky and Dragon's Crown were the best i tried from that list.

I wasn't impressed by the first Velocity games so i have no idea what 2X is worth. Might very well be the best thing ever but i probably will never know, my loss.
I heard good thing about Frozen Synapse sadly i didn't decided to give it a chance.
Hotline Miami was fun but... i dunno it didn't catch me that much either, outside of the OST which was really good, the Ai just felt idiotic and while i love tormenting them it just went to far.

Overall i'd say BoI:Rebirth is the best.

Dragon's Crown
was fun and has enough content for a game of this gendra imo but even after my PS+ subscription ran out i didn't felt like taking it back yet (but i definitly will).

Spelunky is pretty good but i dunno, it just feels that the whole game is based on how annoying the shopkeepers are (of course they instantly die in the later stage so they are by far easier than the first, awesome design) so if i manage to get past the jungle and the black market i already won.
Also i don't like the scoring system at all, so i pretty never do ghosting. I can see the appeal but it's just not my thing, i just like to go from start to end.
Still a pretty good game i like playing now and then, glad i bought it last year.

Isaac
controls well, the game had and still has clear issues (curse of the blind seriously...) but somes like enemy popping on top of you or broken rooms have been mostly purged (though some annoying stuff still exist, i personally find a few multi boss rooms broken, you realize it pretty quickly with a specific character). I dunno, i can play this game whenever i want, have fun and never really get bored.

balohna

Some past-years GOTY material came out on PS3, but in terms of me getting value out of them my choices are these:

Velocity 2x
Strider
Luftrausers

I wasn't impressed by the first Velocity games so i have no idea what 2X is worth. Might very well be the best thing ever but i probably will never know, my loss.
i just like to go from start to end.

Velocity Ultra is possibly better than 2X. It's just uglier. The game play is sublime.

Man what a great selection of games!

Have to give it to Towerfall Ascension thanks to the pure craziness and fun that I've had drunk playing that with friends.

Close second has to be Velocity 2x. Just perfect on my vita

Top Bottom