• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Games for March: Broforce, Galak-Z, More

Cyborg

What a joke month. Enough with the indies. I respect the indie guys but after 2 years I want some retail stuff.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Stuff like broforce's performance issues are why I don't like getting these free games at launch. Several times now we've had games that launch on PS+ having considerable performance issues.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I thought Android Assault Cactus would go on sale but I can't even find it on the PSN store?

Yeah it's not showing up free for me either. Weird.

The store page says free for PS+ until I log in, then it shows full price, even after I F5. However, after I added it to my cart it showed as free in-cart so I went ahead and redeemed it.

It's two great games, does the 'indie' or 'retail' label really mean that much to you?

Yes. Because the AAA games are generally 3D action/adventure, shooters, open world, high production values that people want. A balance would be good. 1 AAA game, 1 indie game per month.

Slaylock

I thought Android Assault Cactus would go on sale but I can't even find it on the PSN store?

From the blog:

If you’re a fan of the other two games, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Assault Android Cactus and Action Henk will be available for PlayStation Plus members with a 30% discount from March 8th to March 21st.

NIGHT-

What a joke month. Enough with the indies. I respect the indie guys but after 2 years I want some retail stuff.

At this point, I don't think they're coming. We're just paying for the service now, the indie games are just freebies we should be happy to have

Crzy1

At this point, I don't think they're coming. We're just paying for the service now, the indie games are just freebies we should be happy to have

Yeah, looking very unlikely that we'll see any retail games. The free games were the hook on PS3, now online play is the hook on PS4, they'd probably have done away with it altogether if not for Games with Gold.

That being said, I voted for Broforce, so I'm glad it won. Not too enthused about any of the other games, though.

SSHD was replaced by I Am Alive?

Well damn Sony sneakily fixed this month for me. Good guy Sony. lol

I think I know the reason why. It seems that people are finally getting their free games from the settlement of the 2011 PSN intrusion. Super Stardust HD is one of the games in that settlement. It was also originally announced as a PS+ title for this month. Maybe they figured some people who are getting SSHD from the settlement also have PS+, and thus smartly realized it was not a good idea to give the game out on PS+ at the same time.

The bug where your character just freezes for a second? Hella annoying. But fun game.

Oh, that's a bug? I thought maybe there was something that I was running into. Yeah, that's extremely tame as far as bugs go. Fun game. Love that it has online/offline drop-in/drop-out gameplay.

Oh, that's a bug? I thought maybe there was something that I was running into. Yeah, that's extremely tame as far as bugs go. Fun game. Love that it has online/offline drop-in/drop-out gameplay.

Oh yeah, a bug where you completely lose control of the game leading in many cases to your death is "extremely tame" indeed!

Enilced2

Oh yeah, a bug where you completely lose control of the game leading in many cases to your death is "extremely tame" indeed!

Ehhh if it happened all the time sure it would be pretty bad but only right at the beginning of a level is fairly tame. I can live with that till they patch it, just have to hang out for a second let it happen then on your way.

Permanently A

GalakZ is cool but Reality Fighters is just lol. They honestly should have just given only 1 PS3 game and I think that would hurt their rep less than this. It doesn't even deserve to be called shovelware

majik13

It sucks. But the easy solution is to just wait a couple secs, after the level begins, to actually start playing. Its kinda funny seeing people get screwed by this bug though.

There was another instance, where. When the level starts , and you automatically jump from the back of the truck. One time it automatically ejected one of the players down a chasm. He couldn't do anything, straight out of the truck and down a hole.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bro force is pretty cool actually. Except that silly bug at the start of a level.

Was really worried this was going to be similar to Super Time Force or Mercenary Kings(neither of which I cared for), but thus far I am really digging the scaled back gimmicks and focus on destruction and survival. The variety is great and I love earning new heroes and testing their unique attributes.

Just wish the pause issue at level start was removed. Surprisingly great fun online too.

Galak-Z is better than I expected, but not really grabbing me quite yet. Just not really digging on the combat and feel of the ship, but I suppose that may change over time.

While I have no problem with the games we get every month and I activity defend them (usually when people call them "trash") I think Sony should at least consider putting out a AAA title every other month.

Was really worried this was going to be similar to Super Time Force or Mercenary Kings(neither of which I cared for), but thus far I am really digging the scaled back gimmicks and focus on destruction and survival. The variety is great and I love earning new heroes and testing their unique attributes.

Just wish the pause issue at level start was removed. Surprisingly great fun online too.

Galak-Z is better than I expected, but not really grabbing me quite yet. Just not really digging on the combat and feel of the ship, but I suppose that may change over time.

Yep I love the way the game is set up and why I didn't like those 2 games you mentioned. One thing the game really could do with though is a character select mode. I'd love to play the game through with specific Bros.

Yep I love the way the game is set up and why I didn't like those 2 games you mentioned. One thing the game really could do with though is a character select mode. I'd love to play the game through with specific Bros.
I think that would make the game too easy. They all have their own unique strengths. I used to think MacGyver was the worst hero in the game until I got to the last few levels and he becomes one of the best.

LakeEarth

Broforce is awesome but is a buggy mess, this is becoming a worrying trend with ps+ games.

The other games that were part of the vote are being released later in the month. It's as if whoever's game was voted would be cursed to rush the game out a few weeks too soon.

This does seem to happen with a lot of "PS+ on release date" games. IIRC, Ether One and Grow Home are more examples of this. Rocket League is one of the few high profile examples which worked pretty well out the gate.

anddo0

I can't believe PS Nation voted for Broforce. The game is OKAY, but it just doesn't grab me.
Sound design is all over the place, get a new BRO, wake up everybody in your neighborhood with that ridiculously loud Bro intro.. And then there's that stutter glitch, better get that fixed soon.

Also what's up with Galak-Z controls?
The controls feel off to me. I hate games where the challenge comes from fighting the controls rather than enemy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
that and I want to switch characters manually.

Really want to try coop with friends.

Yeah - why are you forced into a new character when you unlock them, and then a different one when you die. Switching would also add a tiny teeny bit of tactics with the way the different weapons work

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The other games that were part of the vote are being released later in the month. It's as if whoever's game was voted would be cursed to rush the game out a few weeks too soon.

This does seem to happen with a lot of "PS+ on release date" games. IIRC, Ether One and Grow Home are more examples of this.
Apotheon was another one. IIRC it launched as a PS+ freebie, too. I liked the game, but I couldn't stomach the constant crashing (it would happen just about 30% to 50% of the time I'd open a chest, no joke - I'd have to constantly save before opening chests if I wanted to keep progress) and I gave up on it. It never got patched either as far as I know. :(

I can't believe PS Nation voted for Broforce. The game is OKAY, but it just doesn't grab me.
Sound design is all over the place, get a new BRO, wake up everybody in your neighborhood with that ridiculously loud Bro intro.. And then there's that stutter glitch, better get that fixed soon.

Also what's up with Galak-Z controls?
The controls feel off to me. I hate games where the challenge comes from fighting the controls rather than enemy.

I'm pretty sure that's what they intended with the ridiculously loud bro intro. It's a game called broforce, and it is ridiculous and over the top. Sounds like that was their goal...

cakely

Broforce is actually pretty good, though it could use a patch.

Galak-Z is a straight-up gem. It's a robotech roguelike in the form of a space shooter? With really good enemy AI? I have no idea how I missed this.

Dragun619

Man, I have to admit, those PS3 & PSV offerings are just hella weak. Smh, shit is looking like Sony bout to drop these two platforms soon.

Starting to think they should just reduce the number of free games from 2 to 1 title a month for PS3 & PSV if that means we could get one better game or even a retail title. Maybe then to compensate, for PS4, they just have one indie title & one retail title every month.

Kill3r7

Man, I have to admit, those PS3 & PSV offerings are just hella weak. Smh, shit is looking like Sony bout to drop these two platforms soon.

Starting to think they should just reduce the number of free games from 2 to 1 title a month for PS3 & PSV if that means we could get one better game or even a retail title. Maybe then to compensate, for PS4, they just have one indie title & one retail title every month.

I hope they drop them all together in exchange for better or more PS4 games. Heck I would even settle for 2 PS4 games and an automatic 10% discount on all PSN purchases.

Had a right blast in co op on Broforce last night with a mate. Was a riot. Loving this game.

Unlocked all the charachters now. Shame the last one lacks anything good like a special. Either I'm missing something or that's the joke. But it was cool unlocking them all.

How many levels are in this btw? We have played through 43 so far. It's rather meaty actually. Sure the levels aren't that long on the whole but they're fun and some are quite challenging.

LakeEarth

Apotheon was another one. IIRC it launched as a PS+ freebie, too. I liked the game, but I couldn't stomach the constant crashing (it would happen just about 30% to 50% of the time I'd open a chest, no joke - I'd have to constantly save before opening chests if I wanted to keep progress) and I gave up on it. It never got patched either as far as I know. :(

Yeah the list of 'PS+ day one" PS4 games that have performance issues goes:
Contrast
Mercenary Kings
Secret Ponchos
Apotheon
Tower of Guns
Grow Home*
Ether One
Broforce

* I know for a fact that the Grow Home patch fixed the big issues people were having.

Ludens

Banned
Yeah the list of 'PS+ day one" PS4 games that have performance issues goes:
Contrast
Mercenary Kings
Secret Ponchos
Apotheon
Tower of Guns
Grow Home*
Ether One
Broforce

* I know for a fact that the Grow Home patch fixed the big issues people were having.
Dead Nation too.

Top Bottom