• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 08/21/08

McLovin

I was really looking forward to forced unleashed. The demo had some interesting stuff in it but overall it was a letdown :(

Goldrusher

dreamer3kx said:
is there a way to split the cost of Q4B with my brother? I share psn games with him but Im not sure if I can split the cost? Thanks

He gives you 7 bucks and 50 cents. There you go.

lupinko

shidoshi said:
Granted, I haven't been a PS3 owner since the beginning, but I'm well used to getting kicked in the nuts for the time that I have been. I'm the type that is happy to look a gift horse in the mouth, though, and instead of being happy that Sony isn't being terrible like usual, I'll still bitch that they shouldn't be terrible in the first place.

cry.jpg

dreamer3kx said:
is there a way to split the cost of Q4B with my brother? I share psn games with him but Im not sure if I can split the cost? Thanks

Pay for it and have him five you 8 bucks ???

beaten .... :(

calder

Hmm, lots of stuff to download for me.

First time in a few months I've purchased any RB songs, for my wife and I RB has been just terrible for DLC for a while.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
shidoshi said:
Good games, no way. There's just absolutely no way I can believe that a demo would hurt a great game sales wise. And I could easily give a rundown of the games I never would have touched had it not been for a demo.

It absolutely CAN hurt sales.

As in, "wow, this game that I was looking forward to is indeed an awesome game. I'll buy it later when the price goes down." I was day one on Uncharted till I played the demo...and while I was very satisfied with the demo, I decided to just rent it day one instead. I barely just bought it last week.

lupinko

shidoshi said:
I have no shame in actually putting expectations on companies, especially those that want my money.

I just wanted to post your Heavy Rain avatar that's all. :lol

P.S. And I am fan of your old Gamefan articles btw. =)

maxax

shidoshi said:
Yes, we do. Minimum each week should be one PS1 game and one PSP game, but realistically there should be more PS1 games each week. I don't give a shit about whatever the problem Sony is saying there is with PS1 games: if Sony Japan can get 4+ games on the service each week, so can Sony America.

As well, with the shitty state of PSP when it comes to the retail world, it's pathetic the effort Sony has put into digital PSP releases so far. I go to my local store, and if I'm lucky they have maybe 20 games total for the thing. If I'm new to the PSP, and I see that situation everywhere, why am I going to want to buy the PSP if I'm primarily interested in games? Every single PSP game that isn't currently active in retail should be up for downloading, at minimum the games from Sony themselves.

Not only would this give people more incentive to buy a PSP (since they would have more games easily available to them), but the more options you give people to get PSP games, the less chances you give them to turn to the piracy route. Plus, unless Sony can pull some magic and completely fix the piracy situation on the PSP, pushing people to digital is the route Sony should be taking anyhow.

Bare minimum, when a new SCEA-published game hits, it should be both in stores and up as a digital download. No exceptions. Why Patapon wasn't and still isn't up just baffled me.
I guess you have a point with the situation of the PSP, and more digital downloads could help with that. I agree with you. I'm pretty sure though Sony can't put every game on the PSN because of the retailers.

Anyway, from my perspective it's like this:
BCR kept me occupied for a whole week while playing nothing else, if I'd buy Jeanne, I would probably play it even longer. Why would I need the PS1 games? Most probably I would just buy them because of nostalgia, play them a few times and then forget, because there are so many new games to play. Wasted money. I don't need them anymore. Japan can have them, I don't care as much. Some S-E games would be nice, but that will never happen anyway, so why bother hoping?

I'm not concerned about Sony making money, I'm not really concerned about the situation of the PSP or whatever. I'm concerned that I have games to play every week, and I pretty much do. That's why I'm satisfied with recent updates and don't complain.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There *is* a reason we're seeing less PS1 games here than in Japan. Japan has always been known for their poor sells through digital distro. Sony and other markets are essentially throwing the kitchen sink in the downloads department just to get JP up and rolling on the DD wagon.

It's not the case elsewhere in the world...but at the same time, PS1 sales are pretty stagnant. The path to get all the legal rights to the game as well as porting it to both PS3 and PSP for little monetary value is something that SCEA and SCEE just don't have the interest of doing. It's not as simple as the Virtual Console's rom dumps; look at the PS1 titles taken off the store in Europe because of the emulation bugs later on in the game. I don't believe they were ever put back up.

dreamer3kx said:
well yea I guess I can do it like that but is there a way which I can pay say $10 and him $5 through psn.

sure. if both of you have a credit card. you input your billing information add 10 under that account. and you let him do the same but add 5 using his card.

DMPrince said:
sure. if both of you have a credit card. you input your billing information add 10 under that account. and you let him do the same but add 5 using his card.

oh ok so I put my CC info into his account and vice versa, correct? Thanks again.

Spiegel

shidoshi said:
I have no shame in actually putting expectations on companies, especially those that want my money.

Uhm, between the usa and pal stores you have:

- 1 Ps3 game
- 3 Psp games
- 1 Psx game (pal but you can play it on the psp)
- 1 demo

I'd say it's a pretty good update

dreamer3kx said:
oh ok so I put my CC info into his account and vice versa, correct? Thanks again.

whatever the master account you plan to buy Ratchet on. but make sure once you add funds you clear your billing information before giving him the account [if you're not in the same room that is]

Dante

chubigans said:

As in, "wow, this game that I was looking forward to is indeed an awesome game. I'll buy it later when the price goes down." I was day one on Uncharted till I played the demo...and while I was very satisfied with the demo, I decided to just rent it day one instead. I barely just bought it last week.

Don't let the Kitton see that!

Zoc

chubigans said:

As in, "wow, this game that I was looking forward to is indeed an awesome game. I'll buy it later when the price goes down."

How would a demo influence that either way? Are you saying the demo scratches the "day one" itch, giving you the patience to wait for a price drop? I think that would be a pretty rare attitude, if so. For most people, a demo is like an appetizer: it makes you MORE hungry, not less.

Roxas

Spiegel said:

- 1 Ps3 game
- 3 Psp games
- 1 Psx game (pal but you can play it on the psp)
- 1 demo

I'd say it's a pretty good update

You can also play it on the PS3. Well..i bought Wild Arms from the U.S Store and it works fine on my 60GB PAL console.

jvm

Gamasutra.
chubigans said:

I respect you and all...but jeepers. The demo is what made me decide I had to have Uncharted ASAP. Man.

Zoe

Bootay, get!

(+ Last Guy demo and Xam'd 6)

Why isn't the Heavy Rain vid on the NA store? :\

No_Style

I didn't dig The Last Guy... It's so difficult pick out the guy and I'm getting snagged on things constantly. It's an interesting concept, though.

Zoe said:
Bootay, get!

(+ Last Guy demo and Xam'd 6)

Why isn't the Heavy Rain vid on the NA store? :\

Yes, we are working to get the video up… am hoping we can secure it for publish next week!?

that's from the ps.blog

No_Style said:
I didn't dig The Last Guy... It's so difficult pick out the guy and I'm getting snagged on things constantly. It's an interesting concept, though.

did you zoom in to spot the guy with the red cape?

maxax

No_Style said:
I didn't have problems with it, I just don't feel that the game has enough meat, even if it was released at $10.

Goldrusher

Great updates, everywhere.

And be sure to look for the wrestlers * in this week's banner, because it was the very last time we did that. It's time to move on and we'll have something new as of next week.

* you can find them no less than three times. Enjoy!

Elios83

maxax said:
I didn't have problems with it, I just don't feel that the game has enough meat, even if it was released at $10.

Why? There are many cities (in the demo there's just a fraction of Tokyo) and a lot of missions.

lupinko

Roxas said:
You can also play it on the PS3. Well..i bought Wild Arms from the U.S Store and it works fine on my 60GB PAL console.

IIRC it doesn't work the other way around for NTSC PS3s when trying to play PAL PS1 games.

I think it was Speevy who tried it out, but I'm not sure if he had his PS3 hooked up to a HDTV or Monitor though, since it could have just been a PAL issue.

No_Style

DMPrince said:
did you zoom in to spot the guy with the red cape?

Yeah, I zoomed in, but it's still very cluttered. I love my Geometry Wars and SSHD, but when things get cluttered there it isn't a smearing of dirty brown, grey and green. I also felt that the game wasn't meaty enough.

As a game which has you collecting things and bringing them to a point, I actually prefer Super Rub A' Dub over this. :lol

maxax

Elios83 said:
Why? There are many cities (in the demo there's just a fraction of Tokyo) and a lot of missions.
But the game itself is always the same (I guess?). I'm not big on hunting high scores, so if that is the only incentive to play the game, it's probably not for me. All you do is collect guys and bring them somewhere.
From the demo, which should represent the game, I just didn't feel there was enough to do. Maybe it was because it was too short, the PJE demo for comparison showed much more of the game.

mollipen

chubigans said:

Actually, just about a month and a half ago, I just got Uncharted as well. The entire reason that I got it is because of the demo. Had I not played that, I can assure you that my attention would have gone to other games instead.

I understand the argument, because there are people who are set to buy a game day one, and then after buying the demo might decide they can wait on the title after all. But then there are people like me, who have purchased Uncharted, Super Stardust HD, Pac-man CE, Tomb Raider Legend (is that the one?), Skate, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Folklore (naming some off the top of my head) all specifically because of having played the demo. Late or not, I wouldn't have purchased any of those were it not for the demos that I played.

I really believe that, at the end of the day, demos do more good than harm. I absolutely could be wrong, but I just can't believe the argument some of the analysts are making against demos.

Spiegel said:

But, I'm not in Europe, so why do what they get matter to me?

shidoshi said:
I really believe that, at the end of the day, demos do more good than harm. I absolutely could be wrong, but I just can't believe the argument some of the analysts are making against demos.

Also remember to take into account in your analysis the time and effort it takes to make a good demo that could have instead been used to improve the actual game. It's not huge but it will be right in the midst of the all important polish phase and could make a difference.

careksims

Goldrusher said:
Great updates, everywhere.

And be sure to look for the wrestlers * in this week's banner, because it was the very last time we did that. It's time to move on and we'll have something new as of next week.

* you can find them no less than three times. Enjoy!

Nuuuuu! Aww I love those guys! They will live in our PSN banner hearts. Oh I wonder who the new macots are @_@

Wow at the quality on Ratchet and it's only $15? I like what I played so far. :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
WOW WIPEOUT HD ALL OVER MY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!! Wow so many great videos and an 2 awesome demos to top it off with. Heavy Rain wow!!!

Evlar

Banned
Force Unleashed is fun. No pansy-ass force powers here. You peal the paint off the walls just walking down the corridors.

Steroyd said:
My download queue is... full! o_O

First time for everything. I have to say I loved The Last Guy demo but the pricing in Japan is just nuts. I'm hoping for a significantly lower price point to keep me interested. Force Unleashed was... good, I think and R&C is d/ling right now.

What the fuck is Savage Moon though? An RTS coming to PSN? OMFG! Make it compatible with a mouse (or the mouse functions on the chat pad) and I'm in! Seriously though, what is this game? I've heard absolutely zero, nothing, nada, zip.

Tntnnbltn

freethought said:
First time for everything. I have to say I loved The Last Guy demo but the pricing in Japan is just nuts. I'm hoping for a significantly lower price point to keep me interested. Force Unleashed was... good, I think and R&C is d/ling right now.

What the fuck is Savage Moon though? An RTS coming to PSN? OMFG! Make it compatible with a mouse (or the mouse functions on the chat pad) and I'm in! Seriously though, what is this game? I've heard absolutely zero, nothing, nada, zip.
Tower defense game. PixelJunk Monsters in space.

Stillmatic

The Last Guy demo was awesome, and the guy at the end saying 'The Lat Guy' made me lol. :lol

Music is great too. Day 1 for me.

There are a couple of TV Shows from NBC and movies from New Line and Touchstone, but you can't find them when you search by TV or Movie Studioes...weird.

Top Bottom