• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita FW 1.8. What changed?

SHarris78

I think they'll go up once the store updates. Otherwise you can just hook up the Vita to your PS3 and transfer them over using the content manager. Remember that you have to have the install bubbles on your PS3, not just the installed executables.

Following on from that, i've played through a chunk of Silent Hill 1 on my PS3, but have deleted the 'bubble icon'. If i re-download it to my PS3 will it overwrite my already installed game (and thus lose my save game)? Also, when i DO transfer games over, will the save games go over to my Vita as well?

Finally, if anyone can link to an idiots guide on transferring between the two i'd be eternally greatful!!

KalBalboa

Banned
Following on from that, i've played through a chunk of Silent Hill 1 on my PS3, but have deleted the 'bubble icon'. If i re-download it to my PS3 will it overwrite my already installed game (and thus lose my save game)? Also, when i DO transfer games over, will the save games go over to my Vita as well?

Finally, if anyone can link to an idiots guide on transferring between the two i'd be eternally greatful!!

Maybe we should make one.

As far as deleting your Silent Hill on the PS3, I'm 90% sure that your save is still contained on the virtual PSone memory card on the PS3, but I haven't checked mine in a while.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Saves are on the virtual memory card on the PS3, it is the save for Vita seemingly so deleting the games off either wont affect progress.

To move a game plug in your Vita and go to content manager, it should just connect and the PS3 will sort itself out, once there click move form PS3 to Vita, then Applications, PS1, and then select whatever games you want to move over that are supported.

They have to be in bubble uninstalled format to move.

For saves it is the same but before you click PS1 games you scroll down to PS1 saves and do the same thing but with each games save data or a bunch.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This isn't entirely related, but how is the Vita as an Mp3 player? I wanna know if it's worth it to buy a Vita to listen to music on.

Why would you ever buy a gaming device just to listen to music on?

You could get a cheap iPod for that.

I love my Vita but I will never use it for music....

SHarris78

Maybe we should make one.

As far as deleting your Silent Hill on the PS3, I'm 90% sure that your save is still contained on the virtual PSone memory card on the PS3, but I haven't checked mine in a while.

Saves are on the virtual memory card on the PS3, it is the save for Vita seemingly so deleting the games off either wont affect progress.

To move a game plug in your Vita and go to content manager, it should just connect and the PS3 will sort itself out, once there click move form PS3 to Vita, then Applications, PS1, and then select whatever games you want to move over that are supported.

They have to be in bubble uninstalled format to move.

For saves it is the same but before you click PS1 games you scroll down to PS1 saves and do the same thing but with each games save data or a bunch.

Cheers for the info chaps, starting to worry at how quickly my memory card is filling up. I've only got just under 5GB left on my 16GB Vita memory card, despite not really having much on it (No music/videos, 2 PSP games, and around 5 Vita games (not 'full retail' games, things like hustle kings and motorstorm) and some DLC (wipeout being the biggest). Really don't want to have to buy a 32gb card.

see5harp

This isn't entirely related, but how is the Vita as an Mp3 player? I wanna know if it's worth it to buy a Vita to listen to music on.

Sound quality is actually quite nice but I don't think it's worth $300 to just play music. The software to get music onto the device is not great.

see5harp

You could get a cheap iPod for that.

I love my Vita but I will never use it for music....

When more actual Vita rpgs or puzzle games come out, I can see music and custom soundtracks becoming very cool, but yea just for music I don't think so. The location of the headphone jack makes it difficult to stick in your pocket because it just makes it even wider. I actually like where they put the jack on the PSP.

Well, I'd also wanna play games on it.. but I'd mostly use it for music.

Sound quality is actually quite nice but I don't think it's worth $300 to just play music. The software to get music onto the device is not great.

Bummer.. it isn't just drag and drop like the PSP was? Sound quality being nice is good, though.

When more actual Vita rpgs or puzzle games come out, I can see music and custom soundtracks becoming very cool, but yea just for music I don't think so. The location of the headphone jack makes it difficult to stick in your pocket because it just makes it even wider. I actually like where they put the jack on the PSP.

The headphone jack thing could be a problem..

It gets the job done. You can't make playlists natively on the Vita, but that's its only real drawback in terms of music playback.

Having custom soundtracks while playing PSone sure would be nice, too. Especially for RPGs.

You can play music while playing any game now? That's pretty rad. The playlist thing isn't really an issue for me since I usually just put music on shuffle.

Thanks eveyrone.

KalBalboa

Banned

It gets the job done. You can't make playlists natively on the Vita, but that's its only real drawback in terms of music playback.

Having custom soundtracks while playing PSone sure would be nice, too. Especially for RPGs.

patsu

IMHO, it would be a waste for Vita's potential, and also it will fall short in some areas because it's not a specialized music device. Perhaps when PS Mobile apps are released, we may have more music oriented services.

I do use my Vita to play music and music video almost on a daily basis. I use it in the car mostly.

First off, the speakers are too soft. You will need to get a good (loud) headphone set. In the car, you can play it via your car stereo, so there should not be a problem.

There are 4 player software:

* Built-in Music player

Basic/Standard features. There is no advanced equalizer or fancy screen effects or anything, just standard folders for artists, albums, genres, shuffle, playlist. You can't create playlist on the device. Have to sync playlists from PC/Mac (e.g., iTunes playlist). The standard play buttons are all there (FF, RW, repeat 1, repeat all, pause, ...). The equalizer simply offers you a few choices (Off, Heavy, Pop, Jazz, etc.). It looks like there is cover art support, but I don't have them on my PS3, so the Music app just shows a default icon for missing cover art.

* Video app

I use the Video apps to play HD music videos. With 1.80, it finally supports repeat/looping. You can also play from one video to the next automatically. I source these videos mostly from Youtube.

* Youtube

I kept my favorite Youtube music videos in Favorites. So accessing them is quick from the Youtube app. But if I want to download the videos to my Vita directly, I'll visit Youtube website and use the Youtube downloader to download the 720p video to my memcard (It takes 2-3 taps to do so). These 720p videos are godly on Vita. Once on the memcard, you use the Video app to play them.

* Music Unlimited

I subscribe to MU Premium because I want the library to be accessible from iOSes, PCs, Macs and Playstations. Over here, I usually play classical music on my PS3 during office hours. MU Premium allows me to download up to 1000 songs to the Vita and play them offline. I have 21 on my Vita.

If you have the Vita dock, it's supposed to have a high quality audio out to hook your Vita to a good audio system.

In general, if you play your music from the memcard (no video), you can play your Vita games at the same time. I think PSP and PS1 games may not support parallel music playback.

EDIT: Along with 1.80 update, Sony also released Music Unlimited v1.11 on Vita and v1.6 on PS3 at the same time. Saw them got patched yesterday and this morning. Not quite sure what's new yet.

patsu

I think if you like music on Vita, you should check out Sound Shapes, and perhaps DJMAX when it's released. Sound Shapes allows you to make cute and fun musical levels. DJMAX is a music rhythm game with Kpop songs.

Earlier on, I have read somewhere that someone is (was ?) looking into an advanced player for Vita. Not sure what the latest story is.

AwRy108

As someone who comments on activities (and receives none in return okayface.gif), getting notified when someone comments/likes a status is a big deal. Will actually promote what I think is a neat little touch.

I agree. I actually stopped using this feature b/c I felt like none of my friends even knew I was "Liking" their accomplishments on the Live Area; but now they will, and maybe they'll start using it in return.

The social feed on the Live Area of Vita software is an awesome feature, I hope the improvements with FW 1.8 get more people to pay attention to it.

KalBalboa

Banned
I agree. I actually stopped using this feature b/c I felt like none of my friends even knew I was "Liking" their accomplishments on the Live Area; but now they will, and maybe they'll start using it in return.

The social feed on the Live Area of Vita software is an awesome feature, I hope the improvements with FW 1.8 get more people to pay attention to it.

Common Sense update #3. I'm glad it happened- it'll get more people sticking to the PSN.

whitehawk

Banned
My biggest gripe is that the audio output volume is way too low. For everything, not just for music. It's not as bad as the 3DS, but it's still fairly quiet. The thing I love about iPods/iPhone is that it can go extremely loud to accommodate different headphones.

IMHO, it would be a waste for Vita's potential, and also it will fall short in some areas because it's not a specialized music device. Perhaps when PS Mobile apps are released, we may have more music oriented services.

I wouldn't just use it as an Mp3 player. I want it for games and videos too, but I also need an Mp3 player to use while I go to work. So buying this is killing two birds with one stone.

patsu said:
I do use my Vita to play music and music video almost on a daily basis. I use it in the car mostly.

First off, the speakers are too soft. You will need to get a good (loud) headphone set. In the car, you can play it via your car stereo, so there should not be a problem.

There are 4 player software:

* Built-in Music player

Basic/Standard features. There is no advanced equalizer or fancy screen effects or anything, just standard folders for artists, albums, genres, shuffle, playlist. You can't create playlist on the device. Have to sync playlists from PC/Mac (e.g., iTunes playlist). The standard play buttons are all there (FF, RW, repeat 1, repeat all, pause, ...). The equalizer simply offers you a few choices (Off, Heavy, Pop, Jazz, etc.). It looks like there is cover art support, but I don't have them on my PS3, so the Music app just shows a default icon for missing cover art.

The internal speakers being wimpy isn't a big deal since I use headphones with portables anyway.

No real options for the equalizer is kind of a bummer, but I can get over it.

No screen effects is actually really disappointing.. I really liked that about the PSP. It doesn't matter though since I wouldn't have time to look at the screen anyway on my way to work.

Not being able to edit playlists isn't an issue because I always use shuffle anyway.

If I got a Vita I'd need to figure the cover art thing out because missing the cover art drives me nuts.

patsu said:
* Video app

I use the Video apps to play HD music videos. With 1.80, it finally supports repeat/looping. You can also play from one video to the next automatically. I source these videos mostly from Youtube.

* Youtube

I kept my favorite Youtube music videos in Favorites. So accessing them is quick from the Youtube app. But if I want to download the videos to my Vita directly, I'll visit Youtube website and use the Youtube downloader to download the 720p video to my memcard (It takes 2-3 taps to do so). These 720p videos are godly on Vita.

HD video is a plus but it's something I'd only mess around with while I'm home. Being able to download music from YouTube with a YouTube download site sounds pretty cool. Is YouTube an app or is it just something I'd have to access through the web browser?

patsu said:
* Music Unlimited

I subscribe to MU Premium because I want the library to be accessible from iOSes, PCs, Macs and Playstations. Over here, I usually play classical music on my PS3 during office hours. MU Premium allows me to download up to 1000 songs to the Vita and play them offline. I have 21 on my Vita.

So it's just a music store? Or does it somehow put all your music on a server or something?

patsu said:
If you have the Vita dock, it's supposed to have a high quality audio out to hook your Vita to a good audio system.

In general, if you play your music from the memcard (no video), you can play your Vita games at the same time. I think PSP and PS1 games may not support parallel music
playback.

The dock isn't all that useful for me since I'd probably be at home while using it and would just have access to a computer to listen to music on.

Kinda a bummer that you can't play PSP and PS1 games with music in the background. Maybe Sony will add it in a firmware update or something.

I'm kinda sold on getting a Vita.. It's a bummer that a 32gb memory card is $99, though.

I think if you like music on Vita, you should check out Sound Shapes, and perhaps DJMAX when it's released. Sound Shapes allows you to make cute and fun musical levels. DJMAX is a music rhythm game with Kpop songs.

Earlier on, I have read somewhere that someone is (was ?) looking into an advanced player for Vita. Not sure what the latest story is.

If I do end up getting a Vita, I'll check out Sound Shapes.

Thanks for the help, Patsu.

My biggest gripe is that the audio output volume is way too low. For everything, not just for music. It's not as bad as the 3DS, but it's still fairly quiet. The thing I love about iPods/iPhone is that it can go extremely loud to accommodate different headphones.

It was like this on the PSP, too. I just remembered how bad it was >,< Even with an ok pair of headphones the audio on the PSP was really low. It's not as bad as the PSP is it?

patsu

I wouldn't just use it as an Mp3 player. I want it for games and videos too, but I also need an Mp3 player to use while I go to work. So buying this is killing two birds with one stone.

Ok good. As long as you use it also for gaming, I think it's much more worth it.

If I got a Vita I'd need to figure the cover art thing out because missing the cover art drives me nuts.

When I'm free, I can try syncing my small iTunes library + cover art over and see what happens.

HD video is a plus but it's something I'd only mess around with while I'm home. Being able to download music from YouTube with a YouTube download site sounds pretty cool. Is YouTube an app or is it just something I'd have to access through the web browser?

Youtube is an app.

The Youtube downloader thing is a Javascript bookmark. Once you bookmark the script, you can apply it to any Youtube.com video page. A download link will magically appear just above the video for you to download.

So it's just a music store? Or does it somehow put all your music on a server or something?

Music Unlimited Premium is a $10/month subscription, like Spotify but works on Playstations and other platforms. Like iTunes Match, it will also search your harddisk and automatically create a personal online music library for you if you bought the songs elsewhere. You can add more songs to your library from their 10-15 million pool as long as you keep the subscription. You can also download them to your Vita (up to 1000 songs) and play them offline. This is one of the main reasons I keep my subscription.

I'm kinda sold on getting a Vita.. It's a bummer that a 32gb memory card is $99, though.

In US, Amazon sells a 32Gb card for $80 standard. Watch for further promo/discount along the way.

It was like this on the PSP, too. I just remembered how bad it was >,< Even with an ok pair of headphones the audio on the PSP was really low. It's not as bad as the PSP is it?

I can't remember anymore. I didn't use my PSP as a music player for long. Someone recommended a Panasonic ear phone that is loud a couple of days ago. You might want to check out the Vita OT thread.

EDIT: Found some of these posts...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41468034&postcount=11371
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41360013&postcount=10529
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41357004&postcount=10520
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41357239&postcount=10521

I'm shopping for a good headphone for Vita too since I lost mine.

Sintoid

Sorry if asked a thousand times, but I can't find how to dowload my ps1 games on my vita :(

(I'm under 1.8)

If you want to download them directly on Vita and you are European you'll have to wait until this afternoon.
If you are american you have to go search in the Store (But i think you're not from USA)
If you have a PS3 you have to download the game, don't install it on PS3 (keep the game as a bubble) and use content manager to transfer the game from PS3 to Vita

If you want to download them directly on Vita and you are European you'll have to wait until this afternoon.
If you are american you have to go search in the Store (But i think you're not from USA)
If you have a PS3 you have to download the game, don't install it on PS3 (keep the game as a bubble) and use content manager to transfer the game from PS3 to Vita

Thanks a lot, so I'll have to wait till this afternoon. Do you know at what time the store updates ?

Thanks a lot !

Ran rp

Transparent PNG files don't glitch up the lockscreen anymore, and I'm not too sure but I think there's less compression on lockscreen/homescreen wallpapers. It's definitely still there but it doesn't look as bad as it used to.

Just a tiny detail - now that Sony's enabled button controls in the OS' main menu, all the games that only allowed you to use the touchscreen to navigate menus (ex. Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus when saving/loading data) now work with buttons with the same OS default blue outline.

Niceeee

Raonak

Banned
wow. this is actually a really good update. oddly excited for the touch support for PSP games. patapon seems like a no brainer for touch.

whitehawk

Banned
Is this new? I don't remember seeing it before. Trimming and saving photos.

iPFKHPWgC9c32.jpg

ibbuERd6DBNuh1.jpg

Seik

Banned
Oh wow, that's a great update we have here. :)

With this and PSone compatibility, I think I'll spend something like 30$ in PS1 games tonight only! XD

Good one Sony!

The friends list is certainly improved, but it's still not as smooth as it should be. It still reloads entirely anytime you've put the Vita to sleep.

Raine

The friends list is certainly improved, but it's still not as smooth as it should be. It still reloads entirely anytime you've put the Vita to sleep.

That's because the wifi itself disconnects anytime you put it to sleep.

I guess they could offer an option to keep the wifi active no matter what, but I don't really know of any alternatives other than that.

KalBalboa

Banned
Oh wow, that's a great update we have here. :)

With this and PSone compatibility, I think I'll spend something like 30$ in PS1 games tonight only! XD

Good one Sony!

I'm playing FFVIII right now. I have a save I share between the PS3 and Vita.

Good times.

I love the update, everything just flows better. The button controls are amazing, I would love to see them extend to the store. The extra button options for PSP content tells me they are on the right track to eventually improve the PS1 emulator in the same ways. Assigning to the front corners is how I assumed they were going to do it from the beginning.

That's because the wifi itself disconnects anytime you put it to sleep.

I guess they could offer an option to keep the wifi active no matter what, but I don't really know of any alternatives other than that.

Well, let me give you an example of what I'm talking about. I've got a friends app on my iPhone that lists my Xbox friends. The friends list is partially cached at all times, so even when offline if you open that app the friends list is still there, but it won't give you further data if you click anything.

I also have a PS3 friend app on my iPhone, and it loads my friends list faster than it loads my friends list on the Vita. That seems ridiculous to me.

Mieu

Persona and Genso Suikoden OST's sounds alright with the Vita. I just hate the fact I can't do screenies with PS1 games.

tch

Is it possible to use my vita as a ps3 controller just for the xmb with this update?

I would love to be able to use it to access Netflix and music and stuff instead of a controller

tch

Right I meant while still displaying the ps3 feed on my tv. I guess not then, I didn't realize cross-controller is only for certain games.

When does the lb2 cross-play content come out?

Takao

Banned
When inviting people to play games you no longer type their username out. You can select through a variety of lists.

KalBalboa

Banned
When inviting people to play games you no longer type their username out. You can select through a variety of lists.

I noticed this earlier. The "Shared Play History" list is a snappy way to find local friends I've played ad-hoc with prior to sending messages.

patsu

Yo Sony, I can't connect to the WiFi Hotspot service in LAX Marriott Hotel now. 8^/
It's run by ibahn.

Error code is C0-4753-9.

Looks like the same error code when people try to download Youtube video via JavaScript in 1.8. Did you try to lock it down and broke WiFi hotspot access in the process ?

Top Bottom