• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation vita, like the Ps2 ?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Software is only as good as the hardware allows, and the PSP was severely compromised in this area whereas Vita expands the possibilities available on consoles.

You're right, that Vita will inevitably live or die by its software library, but part of enabling good software is the strength of the hardware that allows such experiences to be available to begin with. PSP was a bit doomed from the start in the west.

So from my perspective, Vita at least has a shot at gaining significant traction by selling software and not necessarily hardware. I'd argue that Vita may very well sell less than the original PSP, but it could go on to do much more business thanks to higher attach rate and a more energized and active userbase.
Not saying I disagree with your reasoning (giving developers more to work with is usually good), but do you really expect that Vita's 'killer app' will be a 'handheld-ized console experience'? Apropos, remember what happened with GT mobile - a game that in theory conveyed perfectly the console experience of the smash-hit series? I don't have definitive figures, but from what I recall hearing, that 'GT in the palm of your hand' did nowhere near its console counterparts GT4/5. In contrast, MonHun Freedom, which supposedly saw quite some 'downgrading of the experience' (no dual analog, no online) became the platform's saving grace.

This time they are against nintendo and iOS. I'm sure Sony is busy trying to make other publishers make games for vita.

They're doing a bad job if they're actively seeking out devs. They need to start being aggressive like they were during the PSone and PS2 days. Right now the Vita's two biggest upcoming releases (in terms of potential sales) are Persona 4: Golden and FFX. And it's pretty clear why that isn't a good thing.

onQ123

reminds me of the SNES & Dreamcast

it reminds me of the Dreamcast because it came out the gate with amazing graphics & it reminds me of the SNES because it seem like it's in the same rang that the SNES was for devs to show off with 2D SD games, now devs can do the same with 3D portable games for Vita, just at the point where the games are going to look good enough anyway so they can put more time into story & gameplay.

I know right, can you believe people these days, they are acting as if the Dreamcast died before most of the other consoles that gen even came out.... oh wait
A 6th generation (commercially) failed console is still a 6th generation console.

The Dreamcast is Sega's 6th generation console just like the Saturn is Sega's 5th generation system. Sales performance doesn't change that.

IrishNinja

Sony will never have another "PS2" ever again.

i kinda wonder if anyone will have that large a market share again in the foreseeable future.

reminds me of the SNES & Dreamcast

between this & PS2 analogies, ya'll are aiming way too high, and way, way too early. it reminds me of the PSP - a great-looking system with a lotta love and little identity/some fears for the future. it will likely turn out alright in the end just like it though, i think.

also: goddammit did this crappy thread get ShockingAlberton banned?! good job, you knuckleheads - he was worth at least a dozen of you guys.

Top Bottom