• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

I just put the last of my UMD's and my Mystic Silver PSP 3000 and 16GB memory card up for sale. I had thought about keeping the PSP just for PS1 stuff and the few PSP games that will be releasing this year but then I realized that once I have the Vita in my hands I am not going to want to go back to the inferior ergonomics of the PSP ever again. I don't hate the PSP mind you but the Vita is far more comfortable in my hands and since I can still buy PSP games digitally it just makes sense to do it this way.

I'm locked in for:

Feb 15th
FEB
Dock
Screen protector
16GB card for PSN stuff (4GB from FEB will be for Japanese account)
Wipeout 2048 (PSN)
Uncharted (from the TRU.com deal)
BlazBlue (retail)
Super Stardust Delta (PSN)

Feb 22nd
Army Corps of Hell (retail)
Shinobido (retail) <--- might switch this one, I'm still trying to decide

When they release
Motorstorm RC
Gravity Rush
Little Big Planet
Unit 13

I've got everything from launch day paid off unless I decide I want to pick up Hotshots Golf or another PSN title. My Feb 22nd titles are not set in stone as I could swap out Shinobido for DW Next or Ninja Gaiden or even something else. I'm going to be really curious to see what the reviewers say about certain games in regards to features, framerate and any Vita specific features.

cnizzle06

Banned
Fuck this tempting system! Fortunately I don't think there's any launch title that's completely pushing me over the fence.

PSY&#12539;S;34874896 said:
Do you guys think 8GB will be enough for a few months or until a sale happens? I'd be using it for a few PSP games, demos, saves, and hopefully some music?

All retail Vita games will be bought at retail.

I think it should. You are not obligated to have all you games on it as you can back up your purchase and restore them at anytime.

Backup to a PS3?

Or do you mean deleting the files and just downloading them again in the future?

You can backup to your PC or a PS3 I believe. Hold I'll look for a video on it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I just put the last of my UMD's and my Mystic Silver PSP 3000 and 16GB memory card up for sale. I had thought about keeping the PSP just for PS1 stuff and the few PSP games that will be releasing this year but then I realized that once I have the Vita in my hands I am not going to want to go back to the inferior ergonomics of the PSP ever again.

i've kept my PSP-2000 simply because i've got a load of spare batteries and so it's my "long distance" machine.

I wish the vita had replacable batteries so i could throw money at battery life but alas, will just use portacharger.

Eusis

OLED response time is generally <0.01 ms. And that's not some bullshit marketing number, that's just what it is.

I'd go so far as to say that OLED is the first real portable gaming display technology.
To be honest, I mostly want a PS Vita ASAP just to start tackling my PSP backlog, which has enough PSN games to arguably make it worthwhile. Does make me regret not getting those Capcom Arcade Collections at $5 though, they probably would've been kinda nasty on the PSP screen, but on the Vita screen they'd probably be done justice.

In the end, I think I'll wait on one of three things: the release of Disgaea 3, Gravity Rush, or some great deals on hardware/software. Like, if they do something like $20-50 off for buying the system with a Memory Card and/or a game then I'm jumping for that so long as the Memory Card(s) are sizes I want or the game is one I want (not, say, Dynasty Warriors or a sports game other than Hot Shots Golf).

KillGore

Hey guys, first time posting, been a long time fan of gaf.

Anyways my future pickup will be:

- Vita 3G/Wi-fi launch bundle
- Wipeout 2048
- Hori screen protector
- Screen protector for the back touchpad.

I was wondering, do you guys think DJ Max Portable 3 will be playable on the Vita? I ask because the buttons are obviously smaller now but I'm unsure if it'll affect gameplay on a game focused on fast button pressing. I just wish DJMP3 weren't so expensive on PSN...

Takao

Banned
Is big spending on marketing really going to affect launch sales that much? I agree they need to some, but early adopters are typically those that visit tech sites and gaming sites. Word of mouth and the holiday blitz will be how this thing takes off. I mean this thing is getting an Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and COD by years end. That is huge!

Don't fall for their lies.

Ken Levine said Bioshock Vita was only on the drawing board.

Koroviev

Vita is looking good, but I would like to see software support from Atlus and other niche publishers before I take the plunge. Really hoping that this turns out to be an excellent JRPG machine like the PSP. Main concern at the moment is load times, especially for Wipeout.

Eusis

Don't fall for their lies.

Ken Levine said Bioshock Vita was only on the drawing board.
Yeah, I don't expect anything to exist until I actually see it or hear concrete news about its development. Semi-exception is CoD, but that's just because of how plausible it is that Treyarch will simply put Black Ops 2 or whatever on PS3/360/Wii/PC/Vita, even if it ends up being a sloppy up port of the Wii version or something.

imjust1n

Banned
PSY&#12539;S;34873552 said:
Those free Taco Bell Vitas have got to be costing Sony a good bit of money, right?

well they have givin out over 9000 vitas already that is close 3.5 million dollars of loss.

patsu

Lol. Just won $90 on Super bowl squares. That locks in my 32gb and maybe anothe game at launch.

I should just upgrade to the FEB master race bundle.

Congrats ! I preordered FEB. Decided to stick with it since my son loved Little Deviants when we tried it in the SF Vita Hill Club. Can't wait till 15th after seeing the OP.

Already bought a dock for it.

e_i

I really hope that the English Gravity Daze/Rush demo is up on the PSN store on the 15th. It's on the demo units. so there's no reason it won't be on the store come launch.

Carl

I disagree mainly because it sounds like a hands on experience is the way to sell the system, So if they get it out to every bestbuy, walmart and most stores giving people a hands on experience. That will sell the system than a superbowl ad.

Yeah i agree with this. Getting it in peoples' hands is definitely the way to sell this thing

Gav47

Vita is looking good, but I would like to see software support from Atlus...
A Persona 4 remake is out soon in Japan, hopefully it will be out in the EU/US by Q4.

Speaking of Persona, I was thinking of picking up P3P on the psn, has anyone any idea how 2d menus, character art etc. scale up on the Vita?

I really hope that the English Gravity Daze/Rush demo is up on the PSN store on the 15th. It's on the demo units. so there's no reason it won't be on the store come launch.

Nah, we should wish for a new demo, that one is sooo short. I tried gliding off to some other part of the city but it respawn me to the beginning. I think a lot of people are going to hate the "flick the screen to dodge" thing.

Eusis

A Persona 4 remake is out soon in Japan, hopefully it will be out in the EU/US by Q4.
Yeah, and P4 I have yet to finish on PS2. I MEANT to so it'd be done by the time the game would've ended, but kind of late unless I go strictly for the ending sequence (I'd assume, given the Japanese school year motif), but as is it may be better to just wait on the Vita release and get that. Crazy how there's actually three "must have" titles for me likely to be seen this year, nevermind the slew of games I'm interested in but not "but the system for them" interested like Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden.

EDIT: I also don't think I have to retrace my steps TOO much for Persona 4, I got up to
needing to save Kenji from his shadow.

Carl

Also, i figured here is the place to ask. The portable charger/battery life extender thing isn't out for Vita yet.

Anyone know of some good ones?

Takao

Banned
Yeah, I don't expect anything to exist until I actually see it or hear concrete news about its development. Semi-exception is CoD, but that's just because of how plausible it is that Treyarch will simply put Black Ops 2 or whatever on PS3/360/Wii/PC/Vita, even if it ends up being a sloppy up port of the Wii version or something.

I can see AssCreed developed by shovelware studio #27 coming from Ubisoft this year.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I have spent every dollar that I need to spend for the launch. Vita 3G/Wifi with 8GB card and free game and Virtua Tennis. Anyone know what that free game is yet?

Eusis

I can see AssCreed developed by shovelware studio #27 coming from Ubisoft this year.
After how they turned the 3DS game into Revelations I just don't know anymore. Then again the Vita probably has more overlap with the Assassin's Creed fanbase than the 3DS does.

Also, i figured here is the place to ask. The portable charger/battery life extender thing isn't out for Vita yet.

media

You referring to this one?

Koroviev

Speaking of Persona, I was thinking of picking up P3P on the psn, has anyone any idea how 2d menus, character art etc. scale up on the Vita?

That would be the one. I'm looking forward to Devil Survivor 2 this month and plan on pre-ordering Persona 4 as soon as Atlus announces the official release date for NA. I'll probably end up with the pre-order before the Vita.

I can't tell you how it looks on the Vita, but P3P is a great game.

Yoona

Banned
Are you planning on carrying all your games with you? I'm asking since you can backup your games at any point from the vita.

I'm not planning on taking it out in public much. I just like the ease of not having to switch discs or cartridges.

Here's my rank list of biggest suckers:

4. People who buy the FE bundle
3. People who buy $100 32 memory card.
2. People who buy both the FEB and a $100 32gb memory card.
1. People who imported for ~ $500.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

*sigh I just know that someday I'm gonna be first at something!!

I'm looking to pick up this one!
ngb_battpack-500x500.JPG

well... okay... maybe not... I actually did own one of these back in the day, which is why I'll never bother with an external battery extender again...

DBT85

I own that New Trent IMP 1000 and it is great. It's always with me in my bag in case my DHD or anything needs a boost and I relaly hope it works fine on the Vita.

It's one of those things that if you are going out with a bag anyway you can just leave it in there and forget about it until you need it.

I own that New Trent IMP 1000 and it is great. It's always with me in my bag in case my DHD or anything needs a boost and I relaly hope it works fine on the Vita.

It's one of those things that if you are going out with a bag anyway you can just leave it in there and forget about it until you need it.

Yea but the problem is you'd have to use USB and I think one Japanese owner did say that you have to turn off the Vita for it to charge through USB or something. I'd say wait for the official one.

Ran rp

How long has this bundle been available? It's basically the original Canadian FEB minus the 4GB memory card.

Radioshack

I think it should. You are not obligated to have all you games on it as you can back up your purchase and restore them at anytime.

Ah yeah, I forgot about backing up my games to my PC/PS3. Thanks.

graywolf323

if there was a Super Bowl ad I missed it

Sony better start an ad blitz soon though, even with all the word of mouth they should get it out there more

when I was at GameStop to try it out the other day a line had developed and all the people seemed to like it

Carl

Yea but the problem is you'd have to use USB and I think one Japanese owner did say that you have to turn off the Vita for it to charge through USB or something. I'd say wait for the official one.

Ah, that sucks. Still might be worth having one though. Shall see how much i have left after i get the console and such. See what DBT85 has to say about it too :p

Hustle Kings... I own the PS3 version, would I have to rebuy the Vita version?

Yes

DBT85

I'll try go to my local again and see if they'll let me plug this in to see if it charges just so we know before launch.

Also found this in the manual

You can also charge your system by connecting it to a USB device such as a computer using the USB cable. When charging your system using a USB device, turn the power off completely. You cannot charge your system using a USB device while the system is in standby mode. To turn the power off completely, press and hold the power button for two seconds and then tap [Power Off] on the screen that appears.

Doesn't say anything about the official one being able to do it while the Vita is on either.

EDIT: Even charging via an AC adapter is done via the USB port unless I've missed something on all the images I've seen. On that basis not being able to charge over "USB" as in, from a computer could just be down to the amount of juice being supplied.

Can anyone with the AC adapter tell us what the voltage and amperage outputs are?

Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy? =/ People are more likely going to buy a device to get that sort feature instead of buying multiple copies.

I honestly hope that most future PSN releases have both copies. It makes perfect sense.

Just wanted to clarify if once the Vita is out can we start downloading Vita titles and Vita versions of PSP games via our PS3s? I only own a Mac, so at this point I can't manage purchases on my Computer.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Backward Compatibility
Play all your old PSP games on that pretty OLED screen, with this handy, made-up, non-existant accessory. Filtering is optional and you can even assign buttons to the right analog stick.

Fixed. Seriously. Why would anybody even type that sentence?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
if there was a Super Bowl ad I missed it

Sony better start an ad blitz soon though, even with all the word of mouth they should get it out there more

when I was at GameStop to try it out the other day a line had developed and all the people seemed to like it

Not that I think a Super Bowl ad buy is a good use of money necessarily, but it is weird to have the SB a week before your launch and not do anything. Ah well, fingers crossed. Launch itself is still excellent I'll just hope the rest sorts itself out.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Posting here for initial color and game-related theme requests.

6809032003_2ef32027ca_b.jpg

6809031779_03f85af4c5_b.jpg

Will have more come launch...though Archnemesis do you have space to add themes for early adopters to that obscene OP?

You need your own thread man! Easily deserves one. :D

BFIB

Finally got some good hands on time w/ the Vita tonight.

Went to a Superbowl party, and one of my friends roommates imported the Vita. He had Uncharted and Wipeout. Uncharted looked great, a lot better than the demo I played at Gamestop. It is sub-res, but in motion, it looks great. Wipeout was even better, so I'm getting that launch day for sure.

Which brings me to my next decision. After getting some thorough hands on time, my want for this machine has hit an all time high. I just fixed a buddys PC, so he gave me $50 cash. So now I'm torn on applying that $50, and getting the FEB bundle. I just found out that I'll be heading out of town for work the 16th and coming back the 18th, so this would be perfect for my flight there and for my downtime at the hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom