• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from what I read you played the same Demos that are loaded in the Gamestop stands then. Oh ok, I played them too and our opinions vary.

Yup, that's probably right. But since I am in Europe I have no idea what is and what isn't in Gamestops nowadays.

I am sorry for sharing, but I am glad you're enjoying the games! Please buy lots of them.

Yup, that's probably right. But since I am in Europe I have no idea what is and what isn't in Gamestops nowadays.

I am sorry for sharing, but I am glad you're enjoying the games! Please buy lots of them.

No need for the snarky reply, I'm just saying that I don't agree with you. You are welcome to share your views.

BFIB

I think the demos you tried and the demos in Gamestop are the same.

I did get some hands on time w/ a friends roommates imported Vita yesterday during the Superbowl, and I can attest, Uncharted does run at sub-res. But, there are some pretty impressive parts, and once you hit the jungle levels, its pretty close to Uncharted 1.

For being a launch game, the scope was impressive, I cannot wait to see what the devs do down the road.

But, any opinions are always welcome. I tend to look at every hardware launch with rose colored glasses, so I appreciate the honesty, even though I'm sure you have your flame coat on already :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Reactions on Wipeout's framerate seem so mixed. Most reviews and several people who have it or played it said it was still fine, but at least one review (Eurogamer?) and some individuals have said it's a problem.

VanWinkle

because heavy rain resembled a "game" that was good in any way, shape or form? If anything, you should probably take a good hard look at yourself if you thought it was.
(props on that PJM avatar, though, I adore that game)

As in embarassing, no, the hardware is not embarassing. The hardware itself is an amazingly well built and polished piece of kit that should probably leave you drooling all the way until the white one comes out, which is going to look even more amazing, no complaints there.
The innards are obviously impressive, and I mean, we are speaking about the launch line-up here.

Gravity Daze, albeit fairly short on the demo side, already shows that if developers actually realize what platform they are developing for, will probably make amazing games for this thing. The mechanics work really well, the graphics are well suited and stylish. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to try out the full version?

Wipeout 2048? I don't really like it. It feels sluggish, (the default controls, which thankfully can be changed, are a joke [no L/R-airbrakes by default), the tracks feel far too busy and the 30fps really shows.

Uncharted mad me fairly mad. I was a huge fan of Uncharted 1 and 2 but GA is just a sluggish, ugly mess. I mean keep in mind I only played the demo, but everything about it felt very lacking compared to what you're used to from the ND games... part of it might be due to franchise fatigue on my part, since I already thought UC3 was one too many game sticking to the existing formula.
I also found the sub-hd graphics to be fairly distracting and well, the fire effects are REALLY bad. Also, the input lag feels horrendous, but that might be due to the stiff buttons?

The OS is pretty d*** awful looking but generally feels very responsive. The multitasking actually looks pretty cool and is fairly intuitive.

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade but I really didn't like it. I hope those of you that are looking forward to it will get more out of it.

Okay, those impressions are fine. Certainly different than everybody else's I've heard from (even the negative impressions haven't been as negative as yours are, but everybody has their opinions), but why did you feel the need to post hyperbole in your previous post without following up on it in the same post? It just seemed to be for attention-grabbing.

patsu

Just make sure to mention 5 bad things and 1 good thing lol

The last thing I'm thinking about is "PS1 era" fire. I guess someone hasn't been playing current gen console games that much.

Good thing my eyes don't agree with yours mescalin. Your opinions are normally wrong as it is. They're just that, opinions.

I share his view that the OS main menu is cluttered, inconsistent/ugly but very functional. Harsh criticisms are fine. IMHO, I think console demoes usually suck compared to the real games even if the games are actually good. So the developers and schedule may be at fault here.

If he hates the fire effect with a passion, that's entirely ok too. His office has some units anyway, so he'll get to see more titles and their improvement later on for free.

I think the demos you tried and the demos in Gamestop are the same.

I did get some hands on time w/ a friends roommates imported Vita yesterday during the Superbowl, and I can attest, Uncharted does run at sub-res. But, there are some pretty impressive parts, and once you hit the jungle levels, its pretty close to Uncharted 1.

the sub-res is one thing, but what was far more jarring for me is the way it felt. there was a very huge delay between doing things and them actually happening. also, the aiming will take some getting used to. I read that people preferred to aim with the gyro?!

I'm sure you have your flame coat on already :)

It's okay, really. I don't mind people getting mad at me. I'm just trying to tell it the way I see it. If people are going to ask question about the device in a polite and respectful manner I am more than happy to answer them and even tinker with the Console if they need to find out something specific... I think I don't have a 3G model, so if you want me to figure stuff out keep that in mind.

Reactions on Wipeout's framerate seem so mixed. Most reviews and several people who have it or played it said it was still fine, but at least one review (Eurogamer?) and some individuals have said it's a problem.

It's not a problem, it's just really disappointing after having played HD and Fury (my fav ps3 games fwiw) and a lot of PC games lately.

Oh yeah, the on screen keyboard is amazing. I had to type in this huge random key for our wifi and I didn't mistype on it at all. really, really good.

but why did you feel the need to post hyperbole in your previous post without following up on it in the same post? It just seemed to be for attention-grabbing.

I didn't think I was being hyperbolic. I truly believe the VITA as a product is embarassing and hate everything that it stands for. I am trying to, err, disregard my bias so I can give you guys who are on the fence some somewhat-realistic impressions. I am a human being so obviously my views are tainted, but as I said, there's a lot of cool stuff about the console, I just don't think it's something that should exist in 2012.

I know... it's driving me crazy. I really only want to buy 1 game with my Vita at launch and right now that game is Wipeout 2048, but I keep having second thoughts.

mattp

I preordered my PlayStation Vita today.

I got the wi-fi only system with Wipeout 2048 to start with. Of course you get a free 8GB memory card if you preorder with Amazon.

I'm not sure if I should spend the extra £15 on Lumines Electronic Symphony. I have never played a Lumines game before.

I'm not going to spend the extra £15 on Rayman Origins because I already have it on Xbox 360. I don't see any better alternatives for the extra £15 game.

Also, I will get Uncharted at a later date.

This will be the first time I've bought a gaming system at launch since the Nintendo Wii on 8 December, 2006.

wait, you got a free 8gb card for preordering the wifi model?

C_H_T

wait, you got a free 8gb card for preordering the wifi model?

Offers available with your PlayStation Vita purchase:
-Free 8GB Memory Card: You can add the 8GB Memory Card to your order, for free. The price will be reduced from your order at checkout. Free memory card terms and conditions.
-£15 Game: You can also add one of the selected games below to your order, for £15. The price will be reduced from your order at checkout. £15 game terms and conditions.
-Important: Click the "Add to Basket" button on the right of the page to add all your selected items to your basket.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_162860787_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000613683&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=qpe-title-tag&pf_rd_r=142T4GCGQ17098160DD7&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=280846187&pf_rd_i=B0054Q82WI

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I truly believe the VITA as a product is embarassing and hate everything that it stands for.

i might have missed it but how is the product embarassing and what exactly does it stand for?

Reactions on Wipeout's framerate seem so mixed

the game can look a little choppy when all hell breaks loose but seriously the game is just so balls out explosively awesome that it's forgivable. In a perfect world, it would be a seemless 60fps with zero drops. In an extremely great world, it would be 30fps locked. It's not quite at the latter of the two, but people should really try it to double check it. It's absolutely orgasmic if you ask me, but agian - i'm not you, so it may not tweak your mellons in the same way

Wow... only nine more days until I hold that amazing piece of technology in my hands. NINE! I pre-ordered the First Edition bundle through Amazon.ca last year and I've been contemplating the various games to buy at launch, assuming I can afford them (I just bought a new car, too).

I'll end up buying Wipeout 2048, Uncharted and Super Stardust Delta for sure. I will get Gravity Rush... and I may get Lumines, Ninja Gaiden and MotorStorm RC.

... holy crap. It only really hits you when you look at the the variety and quantity of the games available; this launch line-up is ridiculous! Compared to the PSP, when I bought only World Tour Soccer and Lumines. Night and day... night and day. My wallet! IT SCREAMS!

patsu

It's not a problem, it's just really disappointing after having played HD and Fury (my fav ps3 games fwiw) and a lot of PC games lately.

I didn't think I was being hyperbolic. I truly believe the VITA as a product is embarassing and hate everything that it stands for. I am trying to, err, disregard my bias so I can give you guys who are on the fence some somewhat-realistic impressions. I am a human being so obviously my views are tainted, but as I said, there's a lot of cool stuff about the console, I just don't think it's something that should exist in 2012.

PS3 and PC games will look better naturally, but they are not as portable as Vita. Vita also has a better PSN experience than PS3. Not sure why Vita is embarrassing though. The PS1 fire effect is not representative of the developers' capabilities.

Also when we get PS1 Vita ports, the effects may be primitive by today's standard anyway.

because heavy rain resembled a "game" that was good in any way, shape or form? If anything, you should probably take a good hard look at yourself if you thought it was.
(props on that PJM avatar, though, I adore that game)

As in embarassing, no, the hardware is not embarassing. The hardware itself is an amazingly well built and polished piece of kit that should probably leave you drooling all the way until the white one comes out, which is going to look even more amazing, no complaints there.
The innards are obviously impressive, and I mean, we are speaking about the launch line-up here.

Gravity Daze, albeit fairly short on the demo side, already shows that if developers actually realize what platform they are developing for, will probably make amazing games for this thing. The mechanics work really well, the graphics are well suited and stylish. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to try out the full version?

Wipeout 2048? I don't really like it. It feels sluggish, (the default controls, which thankfully can be changed, are a joke [no L/R-airbrakes by default), the tracks feel far too busy and the 30fps really shows.

Uncharted mad me fairly mad. I was a huge fan of Uncharted 1 and 2 but GA is just a sluggish, ugly mess. I mean keep in mind I only played the demo, but everything about it felt very lacking compared to what you're used to from the ND games... part of it might be due to franchise fatigue on my part, since I already thought UC3 was one too many game sticking to the existing formula.
I also found the sub-hd graphics to be fairly distracting and well, the fire effects are REALLY bad. Also, the input lag feels horrendous, but that might be due to the stiff buttons?

The OS is pretty damn awful looking but generally feels very responsive. The multitasking actually looks pretty cool and is fairly intuitive.

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade but I really didn't like it. I hope those of you that are looking forward to it will get more out of it.

I am not holding back, it's just that I have work to do -- I did spend 1 hour of it playing around with the VITA -- but I felt I would do GAF a disservice if I left a vitriol filled statement without a follow up.

This is the first really negative review I've heard of the Vita. Everyone who touches one of those stations seems to come away from it pleased with the device.

VanWinkle

What about "PS1-level fire effects"? That's ridiculous, and I would suggest looking at some PS1 fire effects. And you hate everything it stands for? Surely that's hyperbole as well. You hate that it's a portable game-playing device with two analog sticks? That it's capable of console-quality games? You even say there's a lot of cool things about the console, yet you say you hate everything it stands for. And just because you don't like it, it doesn't make sense for it to not exist in 2012 when clearly a lot of people are excited for it.

Obviously it's fine to not like the Vita; there's things I don't like too. And it's fine to post what you didn't like about it. However, the way you did it is why you're getting a negative reaction from some of us.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This is the first really negative review I've heard of the Vita. Everyone who touches one of those stations seems to come away from it pleased with the device.
Not really, at least that's not the case with Uncharted. The demo levels really don't look good and I agree that the fire looks terrible. The feeling are certainly mixed with this one.

i might have missed it but how is the product embarassing and what exactly does it stand for?

stand-alone gaming portable that costs 300 bucks? I don't see it having a place in most people's lives.

plus, we all know that people usually play portables at home anyway, so why bother?

this should've been the xperia play imho.

(I feel mostly the same way about the 3DS and the iPod touch fwiw, but I understand why those are necessary, at least)

DCharlie

I am trying to, err, disregard my bias so I can give you guys who are on the fence some somewhat-realistic impressions

and what bias is that , pray tell?

stand-alone gaming portable that costs 300 bucks? I don't see it having a place in most people's lives.
plus, we all know that people usually play portables at home anyway, so why bother?
(I feel mostly the same way about the 3DS and the iPod touch fwiw, but I understand why those are necessary, at least)

Price - let people decide
Where they play it - let people decide
xperia play - why would that change a single thing? Your compaints would still be the same right?

The price isn't great given what you can do with the money elsewhere, i agree with that , but that's the same for most new hardware no matter what it is. Most people play portables at home - i have zero data on that and frankly it's moot because i play them on the go.

I'm all for hearing the flip side of the vita coin but this dude seems more interested in grinding his ax against sony than he is in being rationale.

Hardware is great, gravity daze is great, Wipeout is mediocre, uncharted sucks. SONY SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED!?!?

What?

I'm all for hearing the flip side of the vita coin but this dude seems more interested in grinding his ax against sony than he is in being rationale.

Hardware is great, gravity daze is great, Wipeout is mediocre, uncharted sucks. SONY SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED!?!?

What?

These are launch games too. I don't think Sony has anything to be embarrassed about with what they are releasing. It's a solid launch lineup.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Amazon support didn't know if the UK promo would come to the US. Thought I'd check at least. That promo would make me switch from GameStop.

So why is the 3DS necessary again? You can have 3d in your living room with a PS3 too, seems to me you just don't like the Vita and that was already before you tried one out.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mescalineeyes said:
also, the aiming will take some getting used to. I read that people preferred to aim with the gyro?!
The aiming is stick+gyro combination, and it works better then any Uncharted game to date.
Visually it's a bit uneven - there's a number of visual bugs in various areas (not even talking about lack of polish, but obvious bugs) - particularly with postprocessing FX - like the U3 missing motion blur, except stuff glitches on/off/doesn't look right depending on where you are in game (DOF and SSAO are the main offenders). Demo level was glitchy too IIRC.
It wasn't until final third of the game that the effects consistently worked, and it's in this part that environments also take a big step up in terms of detail and polish.

I never thought jungle parts were Uncharted strongest visual point, not in U1, definitely not U2, and GA follows that too.

So why is the 3DS necessary again? You can have 3d in your living room with a PS3 too, seems to me you just don't like the Vita and that was already before you tried one out.

Because Nintendo doesn't seem half as technologically savvy as Sony who could've made a more innovative device instead of ... whatever they were trying to do with the VITA. It just seems like trying to be a little bit of everything.

Also, I'd strongly believe that Sony's current franchises aren't strong enough to compete with iOS (price) and 3DS (brand).

DCharlie

Because Nintendo doesn't seem half as technologically savvy as Sony who could've made a more innovative device instead of ... whatever they were trying to do with the VITA. It just seems like trying to be a little bit of everything.

Also, I'd strongly believe that Sony's current franchises aren't strong enough to compete with iOS (price) and 3DS (brand).

oh come on , this is just trolling now. Nintendo get a pass because they're not as technically savvy, yet launched a handheld console costing the SAME as the Wifi vita. What exactly where Nintendo trying to do with the 3DS? remove 3D and the Vita bests it in every single area technically - including, most shockingly, battery life.

What would YOU change with the Vita? What could sony have done to make the machine "more innovative" - other than your suggestion it should have been the Xperia (WHAT THE FUCK!>??!?!?! )

Okay, thank you mescalineeyes for the impressions.

Now can we shift the discussion away from an interview with him to a discussion on the PS Vita for those of us who don't hate what dedicated mobile gaming devices stand for?

The 3DS is a magnificent handheld, I don't give it the stank-eye because it can't call my mom or because I can't access the iOS app store and get a "shake the baby" app for 99 cents on it.

The majority of 'hardcore' gamers tend to love them some games, and also love the devices that play them. So 3DS and PSVita are devices that are worth the price tag to me. But more importantly, they are devices that SHOULD exist in my world.

jgmo870

Banned

And you think that makes it necessary? I'm going to agree with another user and say that you already made up your mind about the Vita before trying it.

patsu

If it's Xperia Play, you'll find more embarrassing effects at play because of battery life concerns. ^_^

Vita also won't be 300 bucks forever.

It is ok even if that's your position. Samsung, Hyundai, Japanese car makers, Apple in the 90s were all embarrassing. The important thing is to keep improving.

Also, as you said, the innovation needs to be more than at the device level. I think you meant innovative experience. The apps need to be innovative too. This is where I agree Sony hasn't gone far enough yet. Near is a missed opportunity. Nothing ground breaking yet. The hardware is powerful and versatile. Hope Sony invest much more on software or work with partners to surprise us with new ideas.

Back to your preference for Xperia Play type device, I don't think it would be any different or more innovative if Vita is Xperia Play.

VanWinkle

The 3DS is a magnificent handheld, I don't give it the stank-eye because it can't call my mom or because I can't access the iOS app store and get a "shake the baby" app for 99 cents on it.

The majority of 'hardcore' gamers tend to love them some games, and also love the devices that play them. So 3DS and PSVita are devices that are worth the price tag to me. But more importantly, they are devices that SHOULD exist in my world.

Agreed, any gamer would be stupid to hope for either the 3DS OR the Vita to fail. Both are awesome. I got my 3DS about a week ago and I'm loving it. And I'm getting a Vita on the 15th and I'm sure I'll love that too.

Peru

I just prefer handhelds. A handheld launch is the most magical time for me. I don't have a rationale for it but I prefer playing almost all types of games handheld, including deep, hardcore ones. I guess it's because I feel like switching on my handheld more often than sitting down in the sofa and playing for real. It's less of an """"effort"""" so I do it more often. Doesn't hurt that I love the gadget factor.. And now we're out of the 3D graphics ghetto so all types of games actually can work handheld. Anyway, let handhelds rule, success to both.

This. The world needs more of this.

idWGAUcaOaz5p.gif

Jessica Chobot is smoking hot and still licking things... Nice.

Suzzopher

Only things missing from this launch for are a Burnout/Need for Speed game and Ratchet/Sly/Jak platformer. Other than that, I think it's my most anticipated launch since Dreamcast.

Kurdel

Banned
I wanted a 3DS for the unique 3D.

Now seeing that it is basically a 2006 console with 2006 sevices, I am trading it in for the Vita, while it is still worth something.

And this is coming from an iOS whore, who once said both these consoles were dead in the water. The Vita is basically an iPhone 6 in terms if power and screen tech, and I love fancy new tech.

There is still a place for dedicated handheld consoles for tech whores like us.

DCharlie

Seeing as it's 2am and i'm no closer to sleep, i'll throw my twopence in to ring.

Pros :
-- the screen is fantatic
-- battery life is much better than expected
-- game line up ((today)) is strong
-- PSP games get nice boost with games looking pretty neat on the new screen
-- despite being cosmetically duff, the backgrounds of the OS are at least customizable per screen and is extremely usable
-- upgrading from physical to digital is easy and no faffing about with second installs and moving save data

Cons
-- personal pet peeve - the OS music. God make it stop.
-- Vita PSN store is clumsy and needs a redesign to make searching and navigation easier
-- prices for portable games in Japan getting absurd (obviously doesn't apply to everyone)
-- some games clearly early for Japanese launch (Ridge worst offender)
-- due to nature of "console experience on the go" load times are present and in some cases are clearly noticable to the detriment of the on-the-go nature of the unit
-- unclear what the situation will be with cross region downloads
-- in OS in-game photo taking tends to cut input from the left stick - on game by game basis but it means the function is useless in some cases because it effectively ruins your game
-- auto power suspend needs to go - or at least let me set it to more than 5m
-- bubbles need to have an alternative - it's like i'm looking at a screen full of smarties
-- i've had to hard reset (for which i had to get help from online as to how to do it) 5 times, it's a pain when it happens
-- sound volume is low and even at full blast it's not what i expect
-- music player doesn't seem to have play list support - a pain for custom soundtracks
-- content pages are limited to 10 - so you can only have 10 pages of bubble icons. This seems like quite a lot but throw in that each game gets a mandatory "data area" bubble for Vita, then add PSP and smaller games like Neo geo and PC Engine and it's quite possible to hit your page limit before you hit your data limit.
-- buttons are a bit on the small side
-- in PSP mode i have a horrible tendency to rest a finger on the screen which brings up the PSP emu options which is inconvenient
-- backpanel functionality in some games is a little twitchy (mainly Dark Quest - but i'm putting it down to the game rather than the hardware)
-- general game packagin on the whole has been skimpy and it feels cheap that manuals are , in some cases, a simple one page inlay
-- Sony seem to schedule PSN downtime on thursday nights which is a pain when you want to buy games on the day of release from download

I'm sure i've more negatives and positives to add - the general feeling so far is that the machine is great, and the games are generally very good - certainly the best launch line up i can think of. For Japan it's lacking a heavy hitter, but i'm personally more than happy with the machine and what it does -right now-.

People who are unsure should go try a demo unit - i'm aware that right now at the price point it's at it's still a hard sell to most people and i don't blame people for holding off but if you have the cash to spare then there's just nothing major in the way of negatives.

Seeing as it's 2am and i'm no closer to sleep, i'll throw my twopence in to ring.

Pros :
-- the screen is fantatic
-- battery life is much better than expected
-- game line up ((today)) is strong
-- PSP games get nice boost with games looking pretty neat on the new screen
-- despite being cosmetically duff, the backgrounds of the OS are at least customizable per screen and is extremely usable
-- upgrading from physical to digital is easy and no faffing about with second installs and moving save data

Cons
-- personal pet peeve - the OS music. God make it stop.
-- Vita PSN store is clumsy and needs a redesign to make searching and navigation easier
-- prices for portable games in Japan getting absurd (obviously doesn't apply to everyone)
-- some games clearly early for Japanese launch (Ridge worst offender)
-- due to nature of "console experience on the go" load times are present and in some cases are clearly noticable to the detriment of the on-the-go nature of the unit
-- unclear what the situation will be with cross region downloads
-- in OS photos tends to cut input from the left stick - on game by game basis but it means the function is useless in some cases because it effectively ruins your game
-- auto power suspend needs to go - or at least let me set it to more than 5m
-- bubbles need to have an alternative - it's like i'm looking at a screen full of smarties
-- i've had to hard reset (for which i had to get help from online as to how to do it) 5 times, it's a pain when it happens
-- sound volume is low and even at full blast it's not what i expect
-- music player doesn't seem to have play list support - a pain for custom soundtracks
-- content pages are limited to 10 - so you can only have 10 pages of bubble icons. This seems like quite a lot but throw in that each game gets a mandatory "data area" bubble for Vita, then add PSP and smaller games like Neo geo and PC Engine and it's quite possible to hit your page limit before you hit your data limit.
-- buttons are a bit on the small side
-- in PSP mode i have a horrible tendency to rest a finger on the screen which brings up the PSP emu options which is inconvenient
-- backpanel functionality in some games is a little twitchy (mainly Dark Quest - but i'm putting it down to the game rather than the hardware)
-- general game packagin on the whole has been skimpy and it feels cheap that manuals are , in some cases, a simple one page inlay
-- Sony seem to schedule PSN downtime on thursday nights which is a pain when you want to buy games on the day of release from download

I'm sure i've more negatives and positives to add - the general feeling so far is that the machine is great, and the games are generally very good - certainly the best launch line up i can think of. For Japan it's lacking a heavy hitter, but i'm personally more than happy with the machine and what it does -right now-.

People who are unsure should go try a demo unit - i'm aware that right now at the price point it's at it's still a hard sell to most people and i don't blame people for holding off but if you have the cash to spare then there's just nothing major in the way of negatives.

There is OS music? Why can't you make it stop!?

patsu

Only did a quick glance through the thread so apologies if it's covered. PlayStation Access posted a map of the UK showing where every Game and Gamestation has a demo unit.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms....407016,10.821533&iwloc=0004b84a06feae6ef950a
vitamap.jpg

Oh noes, them fungus from Last of Us. They are spreading !

It would be great if they use the retailers' Vita units to serve us goodies all over the world. Gifting and trading at least. Organizing adhoc game events too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom