• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can't even tell if they're trolling at this point with that shit. Ad-Hoc does not count as multiplayer. Sorry Sony.

It does when it works flawlessly. I don't care as long as that option is there. I didn't read or watch the link but are they implying that ad hoc party works with the game?

Mdk7

I'll go with:

-PSV Wi-Fi
-8gb Memory Card
-Army Corps of Hell
-Lumines Electriconic Symphony
-Super Stardust Delta
-Escape Plan (is it confirmed for day one?)

And Gravity Rush soon after the launch.

My poor wallet, fuuuuuck.

vmatix

Neo Member

Hey,

I've both of them and from my point of view I would pick the green one over blue anytime because it's supposed to be a combination of glossy and a bit more resistant to fingerprints. I wouldn't want to sacrifice screen quality over less fingerprints. Only downside from what I heard, they're harder to put on compared to red/blue.

Personally can't decide between red and green but I'm leaning more towards to the red hori protector because it seems to be at least noticeable.

Damn, I just realized that the Vita is the first piece of hardware I have ever gotten on launch day. Every other piece of hardware I'd usually wait 2 weeks or at least a month.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
when does the US/EU PSN store update compared to the Vita launch date? Will they do a one-off update to put the Vita games up?

I'm slightly concerned by the lack of early edition pack for Europe. All of my PSP/PSone content is under my UK account so I'll have to switch to using that on my Vita. But I want to be able to start enjoying the PSP games (and Vita) ASAP - will it update a week earlier for US?

BFIB

My local GameStops have the starter kit in stock, and the 4GB memory card. The salesman said they should be getting their first shipment of games today or tomorrow, and will go ahead and put them on the shelf, and allow preorders to be picked up.

Asked about the system possibly being available early, and he was told by their DM that they are under strong advisement by Sony to not release the system early.

when does the US/EU PSN store update compared to the Vita launch date? Will they do a one-off update to put the Vita games up?

I'm slightly concerned by the lack of early edition pack for Europe. All of my PSP/PSone content is under my UK account so I'll have to switch to using that on my Vita. But I want to be able to start enjoying the PSP games (and Vita) ASAP - will it update a week earlier for US?

It'll be updated the day before launch on the 14th.

To everyone who pre-ordered on Amazon.fr, do you get the pre-order kit as a bonus? The site is so vague about that.

The site says you do but my order doesn't contain it. I had an order on Amazon.de and the Pre-order box was separate but cancelled that because it worked out more expensive than the French order. I assume it'll just come with the Vita Console.

My local GameStops have the starter kit in stock, and the 4GB memory card. The salesman said they should be getting their first shipment of games today or tomorrow, and will go ahead and put them on the shelf, and allow preorders to be picked up.

Asked about the system possibly being available early, and he was told by their DM that they are under strong advisement by Sony to not release the system early.

State?

Our office just got 3 of these things.
Just got done playing WipEout, Uncharted and Gravity Daze.

Apart from Gravity, which is actually awesome, "embarassing" is what best describes this console.

If I have the time I will probably elaborate further, but let's just say that PlayStation 1-era fire in a Sub-HD game to begin with is unacceptable.

Kuran

Banned
The site says you do but my order doesn't contain it. I had an order on Amazon.de and the Pre-order box was separate but cancelled that because it worked out more expensive than the French order. I assume it'll just come with the Vita Console.

Thanks you.

Apart from Gravity, which is actually awesome, "embarassing" is what best describes this console.

If I have the time I will probably elaborate further, but let's just say that PlayStation 1-era fire in a Sub-HD game to begin with is unacceptable.

You think the Vita hardware is 'embarassing'?
It would be safe to say that you should elaborate on that, instead of just throwing these blanket statements around. It might be considered trolling.

'PlayStation 1-era fire in a Sub-HD game'... ok. I don't care for Uncharted: GA myself, but calling the hardware embarassing because a launch game runs in sub-native resolution and has shoddy fire effects... well... okay.

It might be embarassing to you, but I would argue there is no better portable hardware out there that is capable of delivering an experience like Gravity Daze. Visually and gameplay-wise.

cyborg009

Banned

You work for gaming company?

also can go more into detail on your impressions

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must admit that I'm quite pleased Sony avoided using a Pentile matrix for the display. I was actually a tad concerned that they would go this route as it makes economical sense but the draw-backs are too severe and have a pretty significant impact on image quality.

I'm kind of surprised people put up with this type of display, to be honest. It looks awful.

Mdk7

WHAT?
Care to elaborate a bit more?
Not only on the final statement, but also on Gravity...
Thanks!

BFIB

I must admit that I'm quite pleased Sony avoided using a Pentile matrix for the display. I was actually a tad concerned that they would go this route as it makes economical sense but the draw-backs are too severe and have a pretty significant impact on image quality.

I'm kind of surprised people put up with this type of display, to be honest. It looks awful.

Agreed, I thought this would be their route as well. To have an OLED screen for the handheld is amazing. I can't wait to see Netflix on this.

Mako_Drug

Saying that bad looking fire (I'm assuming you're referring to Uncharted) is such a huge issue that above any other criticism that's what you single out...Don't be surprised if you get a backlash to your opinion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I've only recently heard this mentioned a lot in smartphone threads etc. whats so bad about it?

Kuran

Banned
Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, ... all of these services need to go to Vita. Sony should have made that happen from the beginning.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
WHAT?
Care to elaborate a bit more?
Not only on the final statement, but also on Gravity...
Thanks!

I remember him from the Heavy Rain thread if I recall. Hes always very very heavy on the hyperbole.

Sorry man, but it's true!

Kyoufu

Hey,

I've both of them and from my point of view I would pick the green one over blue anytime because it's supposed to be a combination of glossy and a bit more resistant to fingerprints. I wouldn't want to sacrifice screen quality over less fingerprints. Only downside from what I heard, they're harder to put on compared to red/blue.

Personally can't decide between red and green but I'm leaning more towards to the red hori protector because it seems to be at least noticeable.

I have the red one and

1) it's not noticeable at all
2) no loss in screen quality

C_H_T

Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, ... all of these services need to go to Vita. Sony should have made that happen from the beginning.

Netflix-Vita-400x225.jpg

Netflix is “working towards” launching the app on day one in the U.S – which is February 22 – according to Hirai.

http://gematsu.com/2012/01/netflix-coming-to-ps-vita-possibly-day-one

AkuMifune

Banned
I remember him from the Heavy Rain thread if I recall. Hes always very very heavy on the hyperbole.

In this case I think it's completely logical to judge an entire system off of some effects in a launch game, right? I mean after Genji I tossed my PS3 away.

What a garbage system.

patsu

That's what my local US GameStop said too. I am in NorCal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Saying that bad looking fire (I'm assuming you're referring to Uncharted) is such a huge issue that above any other criticism that's what you single out...Don't be surprised if you get a backlash to your opinion.

I loved the fire in UC:GA. At first I was a little 'oh, spritey fire, thats a bit meh', but then all hell broke loose and I got swept away with things. In isolation its a bit plain, but when used in the volumes it is, in the situation it is, it works really well IMO.

Number45

I have the red one and

1) it's not noticeable at all
2) no loss in screen quality

I don't see any indication on the Amazon UK offering of whether we're getting the matte or gloss version, thinking I might cancel for now if the matte distorts the screen at all. Ideally though I'd like to apply the protector immediately after I remove the protective coating from the Vita (I'm assuming there is one).

Please don't hold back, elaborate on your impressions.

Maedhros

Yes they did, in game informer.

Also, not that i expect you to believe me, but I have a few friends at sony... ps2 emulation is coming.

You're right: I don't believe you. Not that I think you're a liar, but it'a difficult to believe in something without substantial proof.

Never saw this game informer info. People would be all over it if this was true.

But if you end being right, more power to Sony. It's a nice addition to the list of impressive things Vita can do.

because heavy rain resembled a "game" that was good in any way, shape or form? If anything, you should probably take a good hard look at yourself if you thought it was.
(props on that PJM avatar, though, I adore that game)

As in embarassing, no, the hardware is not embarassing. The hardware itself is an amazingly well built and polished piece of kit that should probably leave you drooling all the way until the white one comes out, which is going to look even more amazing, no complaints there.
The innards are obviously impressive, and I mean, we are speaking about the launch line-up here.

Gravity Daze, albeit fairly short on the demo side, already shows that if developers actually realize what platform they are developing for, will probably make amazing games for this thing. The mechanics work really well, the graphics are well suited and stylish. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to try out the full version?

Wipeout 2048? I don't really like it. It feels sluggish, (the default controls, which thankfully can be changed, are a joke [no L/R-airbrakes by default), the tracks feel far too busy and the 30fps really shows.

Uncharted mad me fairly mad. I was a huge fan of Uncharted 1 and 2 but GA is just a sluggish, ugly mess. I mean keep in mind I only played the demo, but everything about it felt very lacking compared to what you're used to from the ND games... part of it might be due to franchise fatigue on my part, since I already thought UC3 was one too many game sticking to the existing formula.
I also found the sub-hd graphics to be fairly distracting and well, the fire effects are REALLY bad. Also, the input lag feels horrendous, but that might be due to the stiff buttons?

The OS is pretty damn awful looking but generally feels very responsive. The multitasking actually looks pretty cool and is fairly intuitive.

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade but I really didn't like it. I hope those of you that are looking forward to it will get more out of it.

Please don't hold back, elaborate on your impressions.

I am not holding back, it's just that I have work to do -- I did spend 1 hour of it playing around with the VITA -- but I felt I would do GAF a disservice if I left a vitriol filled statement without a follow up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just make sure to mention 5 bad things and 1 good thing lol

The last thing I'm thinking about is "PS1 era" fire. I guess someone hasn't been playing current gen console games that much.

Good thing my eyes don't agree with yours mescalin. Your opinions are normally wrong as it is. They're just that, opinions.

All signs point that Uncharted GA was pretty much rushed to launch in Japan.

Basing the hardware overalll capabilities on a launch game?

Sounds premature.

Kiraly

Just got to play some FIFA Football on the Vita, and it is truly awesome to play a FIFA game with such fidelity on the go - can see it do mad numbers in Europe at least.

Did notice some (occasional) slowdown and hiccups, hope they do iron those out before release.

jcutner

I didn't get to play with it hands on, but I at least saw it behind the glass at a Gamestop. Much much bigger than I thought it would be!

Also, will that VIP case be sold in North America? Or only for import via amazon.co.uk?

because heavy rain resembled a "game" that was good in any way, shape or form? If anything, you should probably take a good hard look at yourself if you thought it was.
(props on that PJM avatar, though, I adore that game)

As in embarassing, no, the hardware is not embarassing. The hardware itself is an amazingly well built and polished piece of kit that should probably leave you drooling all the way until the white one comes out, which is going to look even more amazing, no complaints there.
The innards are obviously impressive, and I mean, we are speaking about the launch line-up here.

Gravity Daze, albeit fairly short on the demo side, already shows that if developers actually realize what platform they are developing for, will probably make amazing games for this thing. The mechanics work really well, the graphics are well suited and stylish. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to try out the full version?

Wipeout 2048? I don't really like it. It feels sluggish, (the default controls, which thankfully can be changed, are a joke [no L/R-airbrakes by default), the tracks feel far too busy and the 30fps really shows.

Uncharted mad me fairly mad. I was a huge fan of Uncharted 1 and 2 but GA is just a sluggish, ugly mess. I mean keep in mind I only played the demo, but everything about it felt very lacking compared to what you're used to from the ND games... part of it might be due to franchise fatigue on my part, since I already thought UC3 was one too many game sticking to the existing formula.
I also found the sub-hd graphics to be fairly distracting and well, the fire effects are REALLY bad. Also, the input lag feels horrendous, but that might be due to the stiff buttons?

The OS is pretty damn awful looking but generally feels very responsive. The multitasking actually looks pretty cool and is fairly intuitive.

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade but I really didn't like it. I hope those of you that are looking forward to it will get more out of it.

I am not holding back, it's just that I have work to do -- I did spend 1 hour of it playing around with the VITA -- but I felt I would do GAF a disservice if I left a vitriol filled statement without a follow up.

So from what I read you played the same Demos that are loaded in the Gamestop stands then. Oh ok, I played them too and our opinions vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom