• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

I thought I'd be able to go into a place like WalMart and just get one of these things. Why aren't they selling it like any other console?

I thought I'd be able to go into a place like WalMart and just get one of these things. Why aren't they selling it like any other console?
It isn't officially out until the 22nd. The only way to get it today is by purchasing the "first edition bundle" which required a pre-order unless you happened to get lucky and just find one somewhere.

patsu

my screen has no problems whatsoever

besides these damn air bubbles from my screen protector... seriously thinking of giving up and paying someone to install it (I assume there are people who do that?)

Been staring at my screen for the past few seconds. No dead pixels it seems. The air bubbles underneath my screen protector will go away eventually. There are fewer and fewer bubbles every time I turn to look at it.

test_account

XP-39C²
1 week left for Europe release and official US release!

I've went through all the tips and recommendations to fix it and nothing has ever changed. I don't get that problem anywhere else. I've just learned to except it since I rarely download anything on there.
Then it is probably something with the routing from the PSN servers to your ISP, or that the PSN servers that you're connected to are crowded/slower than the others. In these cases there arent much you can do unfortunately :(

can i use the wallpart 1/2 of my psp charger for the vita 1/2 of the charger?

I dont wanna just start mixing and matching just to blow up my new toy without asking first

patsu

So... I walked into Target hoping to get more games with their B2G1 deal, but it looks like they will only start selling Vita software on 22 Feb ?

can i use the wallpart 1/2 of my psp charger for the vita 1/2 of the charger?

I dont wanna just start mixing and matching just to blow up my new toy without asking first

Read the specs on the adapter and in the manual perhaps.

Chocoboko

Just got home on my lunch break and my Vita was waiting very patiently by the door for me. Installing the update now. This thing is very nice.

If we get games like Michael Jackson Experience (which I will gladly buy for 10$), does that mean we can get hits like Just Dance, etc. on Vita as well?

Received my 32gb memory card. Downloading Mahvel, Lumines and Super Stardust. I doubt they will all be done before I leave the office today. :/ Slow as ass.

knitoe

Been staring at my screen for the past few seconds. No dead pixels it seems. The air bubbles underneath my screen protector will go away eventually. There are fewer and fewer bubbles every time I turn to look at it.

Squeeze out the bubbles. If the don't disappear while you press over them, you got dust / dirt stuck underneath. Use my scotch method, from previous post, to remove them.

Alright changed my Amazon order from Virtua Tennis to Hot Shots, and am getting Uncharted, Virtua Tennis, and either Blaze Blue or Lumines in the B2G1 at Target next week.

The decision between Lumines and Blaze Blue is going to haunt me over the next few days.....actually nvm I am probably going Blaze Blue and look for Lumines to drop in price and download it instead since it is only 770 Mb.

I've had a Vita pre-ordered for weeks and I've been interested in it from the minute I heard NGP... what exactly are you going on about?

I also picked up a DS, 3DS, and PSP at launch. You can insult me about a lot of things, but try to avoid the topic of handheld gaming. I love it.

Some of your posts seems to indicate you think differently:

Talking about lumines:

The_Darkest_Red said:
You might be right but I honestly think $40 is over-priced for the game based on what I've seen. If it was $30 at launch I would probably bite.

Don't sell your 3DS:
The_Darkest_Red said:
E3 will roll around, Nintendo will wow you with 3DS announcements, and you'll regret getting rid of it. Don't do it man. Go buy Mutant Mudds on the Eshop if you need a quick fix.

Plus, Fire Emblem.

Talking about the UI:
The_Darkest_Red said:
I'll be honest, I hope we get a completely new UI as soon as possible. I really don't like the look of the bubbles.

Talking about the FEB buyers:
The_Darkest_Red said:
Same here. I honestly don't see any decent reason to justify picking up the FEB besides not being able to wait another week.

Talking about Vita games:
The_Darkest_Red said:
Sales aside there is no way Sony could be happy with a Metacritic score of anything less than 80 for Golden Abyss..

I don't think the system would have a "killer app" even if a few of these games were scoring in the 90-95 range, to be honest.

Talking about Vita ads:
The_Darkest_Red said:
The US ad was pretty weak... I'd like to see more of a focus on the system and the games.

Talking about Sony Games Success:
The_Darkest_Red said:
And their 1st party attempts in the West have been pretty underwhelming as of late as well --- at least in terms of commercial success.

The Fate of Vita:
The_Darkest_Red said:
The fate of Sony's platforms has always been in the hands of 3rd parties somewhat but I feel like they could really be screwed here if some of the major 3rd parties just decided the investment isn't worth it. What if Konami decides to make a new MGS game for 3DS (possible given the existence of Snake Eater 3DS) or Square Enix decides to focus on making FF games and other RPG's for 3DS only (wouldn't surprise me given SE's fickle nature). Then you have Capcom who already looks pretty satisfied with the 3DS given Super Street Fighter IV and RE: Revelations among other games.

Is it a good business decision for any 3rd party to invest heavily in Vita at this point?

I certainly agree that software is always an issue regardless of price, no argument at all there. I'm just starting to wonder if price was a bigger issue than I originally gave it credit for.

Purely regarding software I think the future of the Vita is looking quite grim based on what you've said here. Sony needs compelling software from 3rd party developers for the Vita to sell and right now I'm just not seeing it. Hopefully they have some key announcements soon.

You may have a Vita preorder, but you seem to be overly pessimistic about it. You have doubts (IMO) if you're making the "correct" choice in buying the Vita and seem too negative for it.

Take a break.

Wish that Gravity Rush were a launch title in the US. I think I probably won't buy a Vita until it comes out. As much as I love the Uncharted franchise... I'm not as hype for it as I am Gravity Rush. Then there's also the concern of them releasing a new and improved version of the Vita... ugh. This is why it's hard to deal with handhelds. :c

MrMephistoX

Amazon has always used UPS for me. I was just speaking in general. Some other things I have ordered (not from Amazon) that use Fedex usually leave a note.

Phew I guess I might be upset with UPS leaving it at my doorstep if I lived in a shitty neighborhood but since I don't, having to trek to the nearest FEDEX sorting facility is a pain.

Talking about lumines:

Don't sell your 3DS:

Talking about the UI:

Talking about Vita ads:

The Fate of Vita:

You may have a Vita preorder, but you seem to be overly pessimistic about it. You have doubts (IMO) if you're making the "correct" choice in buying the Vita and seem too negative for it.

Take a break.

Eh what? I share his view on many of those points but that doesn't mean I'm any less excited for the Vita. Just because one has a realistic view on where things are outside of the hype bubble doesn't mean one on a personal level can't be excited for the system.

FUUUU didn't realize a co-worker had imported a Vita a few weeks ago. Just noticed it on his desk today and asked to check it out. That screen! The hardware overall is fantastic. I was able to play a bit of the Gravity Daze demo as well and it looked fantastic. Really cool game mechanic and the sixaxis felt natural instead of gimmicky. It is going to be really hard to resist impulse buying this as soon as I walk by it on store shelves.

WipedOut

Sent in a replacement request, sending off the this one tomorrow and new one should be here tomorrow too. No downtime. Sweet. Thanks for the advice on sending it back.

Talking about lumines:

Don't sell your 3DS:

Talking about the UI:

Talking about Vita ads:

The Fate of Vita:

Take a break.
ether-e1296908676217.gif

I want to get a screen protector, but I can't decide between the Hori and the Sony. Anyone have any opinions?

Two reasons I skipped the Hori:

1) It won't be available to me when my system arrives
2) I'm worried how it will look with it leaving open gaps when it tries to go around all the buttons and pads. A normal screen protector will be less obvious IMO.

Jeff-DSA

The number of complaints on message boards, Twitter, and Facebook about locked up systems, iffy screen pixels, and game install errors are piling up. Kinda makes me a bit worried, if I'm honest.

I generally try to present my opinions from a somewhat un-biased viewpoint instead of pointlessly gushing over a new piece of hardware. Believe me, I am very excited to get my hands on the Vita, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of certain issues regarding it.

Seriously man, you just went back and dug up all those posts to try and prove to me that I don't want a Vita or something... and you're telling me to take a break?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The fate of Sony's platforms has always been in the hands of 3rd parties somewhat but I feel like they could really be screwed here if some of the major 3rd parties just decided the investment isn't worth it. What if Konami decides to make a new MGS game for 3DS (possible given the existence of Snake Eater 3DS) or Square Enix decides to focus on making FF games and other RPG's for 3DS only (wouldn't surprise me given SE's fickle nature). Then you have Capcom who already looks pretty satisfied with the 3DS given Super Street Fighter IV and RE: Revelations among other games.
Man, is this serious?

Did everyone forget how bad of a situation the 3DS was in oh so recently? It's only within the last few months that it has started to perform well.

Squeeze out the bubbles. If the don't disappear while you press over them, you got dust / dirt stuck underneath. Use my scotch method, from previous post, to remove them.

Doesn't it also work to take scotch tape, flip it on the sticky side and just touch whole screen multiple times? It picks any dust + electric static prevent more from accumulating?

What if Konami decides to make a new MGS game for 3DS (possible given the existence of Snake Eater 3DS)

From what people are saying Snake Eater 3DS is a technical crap + the game is not really suited for 3DS in the first place. Check the thread with Snake Eater eShop demo announcement.

Sent in a replacement request, sending off the this one tomorrow and new one should be here tomorrow too. No downtime. Sweet. Thanks for the advice on sending it back.

Did you get it from Amazon? If so, you have 30 days to ship it back. Just keep it and play with it till the other one arrives.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Talking about lumines:

Don't sell your 3DS:

Talking about the UI:

Talking about Vita ads:

The Fate of Vita:

Take a break.
You need to chill out.
There's barely anything controversial about any of that. All just opinions.

UberTag

The number of complaints on message boards, Twitter, and Facebook about locked up systems, iffy screen pixels, and game install errors are piling up. Kinda makes me a bit worried, if I'm honest.
I wonder how many people experiencing game install errors have a bum memory card like I did and don't realize it.

turnbuckle

Talking about lumines:

Don't sell your 3DS:

Talking about the UI:

Talking about Vita ads:

The Fate of Vita:

Take a break.

Um, I have a preorder and every single thing he said I can either agree with or understand where he's coming from.

robot

I want to get a screen protector, but I can't decide between the Hori and the Sony. Anyone have any opinions?

The last Hori screen protector I bought was for my DSi XL and it was garbage. Had so many problems with it I wound up taking it off. I've had better luck buying knockoffs from ebay for $1.

theBishop

Banned
Wish that Gravity Rush were a launch title in the US. I think I probably won't buy a Vita until it comes out. As much as I love the Uncharted franchise... I'm not as hype for it as I am Gravity Rush. Then there's also the concern of them releasing a new and improved version of the Vita... ugh. This is why it's hard to deal with handhelds. :c

You know there will be a revision eventually. It's not just handhelds. It's practically all successful gaming hardware. Even Wii got a hardware revision.

But the PSP-2000 came out over 3 years after the Japanese launch. If someone wanted a PSP in 2005, it would be kinda dumb to wait until 2007 because of a revision.

BFIB

Ugh. 1:30, still no UPS guy, and the funeral home down the street is apparently having a lot of visitors today. I'm not even sure he can make it down here.

Also, UPS is down. Anyone know the # so I can call customer service and see where my shipment is?

Man, is this serious?

Did everyone forget how bad of a situation the 3DS was in oh so recently? It's only within the last few months that it has started to perform well.
Spend some time in the Media Create thread for some context. It's not like I'm just throwing these opinions out from nowhere. And yes, the 3DS issue has been discussed significantly in that thread.

Wow, it's The_Darkest_Red on trial up in here all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom