• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plainr_

DSCN3158.jpg

DSiXL and Vita.

Sexy.

I am so glad I got U:GA. I was a little worried after playing the demo, and since I just finished U3, but god damn it looks amazing. The lighting is just so good. SSD is also amazing, I am pissed there is no PS3 version because it would look so good in 3D.

Anecdotal, but the Walmart I visited in the morning to do a return at had Vita Wifi (non-FEB) in the glass clase, and the worker there was prepared to sell it to me.

I wonder if they really are breaking street date, or if the system would have alerted them it wasn't available for sale yet.

Man, is this serious?

Did everyone forget how bad of a situation the 3DS was in oh so recently? It's only within the last few months that it has started to perform well.

What's wrong with what he said though? It's a very valid stance to take. 3DS definitely started slow, but let's face it, it's picked up quite a bit now. The fact that the system does have momentum now makes Sony's work harder, not easier to attract developers. So what did he say that was so hard to stomach?

Some of your posts seems to indicate you think differently:

Talking about lumines:

Don't sell your 3DS:

Talking about the UI:

Talking about the FEB buyers:

Talking about Vita games:

Talking about Vita ads:

Talking about Sony Games Success:

The Fate of Vita:

You may have a Vita preorder, but you seem to be overly pessimistic about it. You have doubts (IMO) if you're making the "correct" choice in buying the Vita and seem too negative for it.

Take a break.

Judging by my post count, I'm the most excited person on the Internet when it comes to Vita. I still agree with a lot of what he's saying. Except the FEB. The FEB is awesome - I wanted it early and I don't give a damn!

Anyone? The screen is frozen and i cant do anything... Power button does nothing.....

Mine froze too. I just held the power button down for a really long time.

theBishop

Banned
Anecdotal, but the Walmart I visited in the morning to do a return at had Vita Wifi (non-FEB) in the glass clase, and the worker there was prepared to sell it to me.

I wonder if they really are breaking street date, or if the system would have alerted them it wasn't available for sale yet.

The same system IDs me if I try to buy rubber cement. Unless the database people got confused on the release date, I doubt they can sell it.

patsu

Squeeze out the bubbles. If the don't disappear while you press over them, you got dust / dirt stuck underneath. Use my scotch method, from previous post, to remove them.

Yeah, there are a few "dust bubbles". Will attend to them later. I'm taking my Vita out for a spin now. ^_^

knitoe

Doesn't it also work to take scotch tape, flip it on the sticky side and just touch whole screen multiple times? It picks any dust + electric static prevent more from accumulating?
Yes, you can do that to prep the area for installing the protector, but in between, you could still get dust / dirt on the screen. Scotch tape method is a very good way to remove dust / dirt stuck to screen protector.

What's wrong with what he said though? It's a very valid stance to take. 3DS definitely started slow, but let's face it, it's picked up quite a bit now. The fact that the system does have momentum now makes Sony's work harder, not easier to attract developers. So what did he say that was so hard to stomach?
If anyone thinks that stance is crazy they should spend some time in the Media Create thread. duckroll did a much better job of backing it up than I did, actually (maybe not that exact position, but close). Thanks for defending my crazy positions, though. :)

Judging by my post count, I'm the most excited person on the Internet when it comes to Vita. I still agree with a lot of what he's saying. Except the FEB. The FEB is awesome - I wanted it early and I don't give a damn!
Thanks. Hopefully I'm only half insane instead of full on 100% after all.

The FEB comment was just to make the wait easier on myself. :(

Eh what? I share his view on many of those points but that doesn't mean I'm any less excited for the Vita. Just because one has a realistic view on where things are outside of the hype bubble doesn't mean one on a personal level can't be excited for the system.

I agree with you, that is a somewhat realistic view of the system, however letting his personal opinions on it, stops him from seeing that others may not share his own views and he is somewhat intolerant of others positivism and excitement.

Edit:
The_Darkest_Red said:
Seriously man, you just went back and dug up all those posts to try and prove to me that I don't want a Vita or something... and you're telling me to take a break?

It's rather easy to do.

I agree with you, that is a somewhat realistic view of the system, however letting his personal opinion on it stops him from seeing that others may not share his own views and he is somewhat intolerant of others positivism an excitement.
What? The only time I made a comment that would even hint at such a thing was when I said I don't understand the desire to purchase 11 games with your Vita. If someone wants to do that because they have the money, think that many of those games are genuienely interesting, or for whatever other reason, by all means I have nothing against it! I'm just saying that I personally don't understand it.

Have you seen me attacking everyone who disagrees with all of my "pessimistic" opinions?

frequency

Doom and gloom is bumming me out.
Lets just be happy and celebrate the Vita-ness in this thread. People can go talk about the end of the world in the sales numbers threads and stuff.

One of my favourite game systems of all time was a failed console.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It does mean Sony its work cut out for them, but it's that he's basically writing it off so quickly based on this fact that bugs me.

I sure as hell hope none of that comes to pass, however. The 3DS just bums me out. It feels antiquated due to its god awful screens and low resolution. It doesn't really offer anything over the Vita. Inferior controls, inferior touch features, gyro that doesn't work with 3D, etc. 3D is the only thing it has going for it and it's not great 3D. It's also had a miserable first year of software.

It does mean Sony its work cut out for them, but it's the fact that he's basically writing it off so quickly based on this fact. I dunno, just bugs me.
I'm not writing it off man, I'm just a little worried about the Vita's future, that's all. I'm still getting one next week and I'm super excited about it, I'm just a little worried. Seriously, instead of reading the comment out of context you should go to the original source and get a feel for the conversation that was going on.

But just to clarify, I was more positing a worst case scenario that has me worried than "writing it off." By no means do I think that outcome is the most likely one.

One day I will prove to all of you that I am a true and official lover of all things Playstation and Vita related. One day...

massoluk

Banned
I agree with you, that is a somewhat realistic view of the system, however letting his personal opinions on it, stops him from seeing that others may not share his own views and he is somewhat intolerant of others positivism and excitement.

Edit:

It's rather easy to do.

... YOU are talking about intolerant?

theBishop

Banned
Doom and gloom is bumming me out.
Lets just be happy and celebrate the Vita-ness in this thread. People can go talk about the end of the world in the sales numbers threads and stuff.

One of my favourite game systems of all time was a failed console.

Meh. I'll feel better when Activision has some Modern Warfare footage to show. But there's no denying this is a strong launch period, and the hardware is slick as hell.

Vita is in a dramatically better position than PS3 was at launch, arguably the best first-impression of any Playstation launch.

There's a line of commentary that will never be satisfied because Vita is not a smartphone. Beyond that, I don't see the room for negativity. Great hardware, great firmware, and great software. There's plenty to look forward to through May. E3 in June should be exciting.

AwRy108

Spend some time in the Media Create thread for some context. It's not like I'm just throwing these opinions out from nowhere. And yes, the 3DS issue has been discussed significantly in that thread.

Wow, it's The_Darkest_Red on trial up in here all of a sudden.

The issue with your comments is that they're incredibly presumptuous and not really grounded in any type of fact. For example, the FF series is hardly a make-or-break franchise these days, and the MGS series has always been tied to the PlayStation brand when it comes to new entries in the series (Snake Eater 3DS is just a gimped remake of a last-gen title, MGS3 Subsistence). Also, Sony's 1st-party titles have been a terrific reason to own a PS3, so, as long as that support continues onto the Vita, things will be right in the universe (for gamers, anyways).

This is a thread full of enthusiasts who are hyped for a new piece of hardware, not looking for a doomsday soothsayer. Besides, don't forget how many months it took for the 3DS to climb out of its awful launch rut of being over-priced with no good games--IMHO, the Vita has already circumvented both of these things.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
My shipping status changed from 'in Boise and out for delivery' to 'in transit from Las Vegas'. I hope that is some sort of screwup and that I'm getting my Vita soon.:(

PaulLFC

Plenty of Vita advertising boards around in the Champions League matches tonight, but Sony is one of the main sponsors so it'd have been a missed opportunity if they didn't advertise it.

WQE07.png

The issue with your comments is that they're incredibly presumptuous and not really grounded in any type of fact. For example, the FF series is hardly a make-or-break franchise these days, and the MGS series has always been tied to the PlayStation brand when it comes to new entries in the series (Snake Eater 3DS is just a gimped remake of a last-gen title, MGS3 Subsistence). Also, Sony's 1st-party titles have been a terrific reason to own a PS3, so, as long as that support continues onto the Vita, things will be right in the universe (for gamers, anyways).

This is a thread full of enthusiasts who are hyped for a new piece of hardware, not looking for a doomsday soothsayer.
And I'm the one who brought that up in the thread?

That comment was taken from this week's Media Create thread for goodness sake.

And I said "what if" not "here is what's going to happen."

My goodness, guys.

What? The only time I made a comment that would even hint at such a thing was when I said I don't understand the desire to purchase 11 games with your Vita. If someone wants to do that because they have the money, think that many of those games are genuienely interesting, or for whatever other reason, by all means I have nothing against it! I'm just saying that I personally don't understand it.

Have you seen me attacking everyone who disagrees with all of my "pessimistic" opinions?

I want to avoid more off topic discussion, Let's make peace, I just said that your recent posts were overly negative and you were even pointing out that you couldn't understand FEB buyers and the people that got a bunch of Lunch games.

Never intended to insult you or anything like that, If I did please accept my apologies.

It does mean Sony its work cut out for them, but it's that he's basically writing it off so quickly based on this fact that bugs me.

I sure as hell hope none of that comes to pass, however. The 3DS just bums me out. It feels antiquated due to its god awful screens and low resolution. It doesn't really offer anything over the Vita. Inferior controls, inferior touch features, gyro that doesn't work with 3D, etc. 3D is the only thing it has going for it and it's not great 3D. It's also had a miserable first year of software.

Is it really writing it off though? It's warning flags that are going up to the realistic possibility of what could happen. I think anyone buying a product that has significant cost to it should know what the situation is and the potential down the road. After all, buying a system is usually something you're investing to last for some period of time.

We can slam the 3DS all we want about how inferior it is to the Vita, but it doesn't matter. The PSP shits all over the DS when it came to hardware but we all know how wide the gap is between those two systems as far as success go. All that additional greatness didn't mean a damn. Still though despite that, the DS was a fantastic system with great games, and you know what, the 3DS could still be one too. I'm certainly not complaining with the likes of Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, and Resident Evil Revelaitons (sic). All of those are great games that I enjoy on my 3DS.

Averon

Doom and gloomers have plenty of other threads to doom and gloom the Vita. Hell, the Media Create threads gives you a weekly dose! Please don't taint one of the few threads where Vita owners can actually enjoy discussing the thing.

I want to avoid more off topic discussion, Let's make peace, I just said that your recent posts were overly negative and you were even pointing out that you couldn't understand FEB buyers and the people that got a bunch of Lunch games.

Never intended to insult you or anything like that, If I did please accept my apologies.

I had to look back at what this started from, but I can see where he's coming from. Hardware launches are exciting, but sometimes people let the excitement get to them to the point where they start making irrational decisions. Heck, I've been telling people for weeks that it's silly to preorder games at full price because we all know many of those same people will find out there is a sale and complain that they already ordered them. Sure enough, there are two sales that give you at least 33% off games. How many people picked up games before they even had a system only to find out they're on sale for a significant price reduction? If people want to burn away their money that's fine, but least admit that they're burning cash and send some of that this way if they have extra money to burn.

TwIsTeD

At first my Vita said no SIM and I was getting worried... well it seems at&t just activated a new batch of sim cards..my system randomly said at&t and then asked for a restart and voila working 3g!

I don't think my posts were overly negative. I'm sorry if you thought it was insulting that I couldn't understand why someone would want 11 launch games with their Vita but unfortunately that is simply how I feel. That is the only comment you quoted that I will admit may have been unnecessary.

Seriously though, bringing the comment in from a sales thread with no context whatsoever and getting everyone all pissed off and out of sorts was really unnecessary and kind of a low blow, quite frankly. I never intended to bring it up here.

Doom and gloomers have plenty of other threads to doom and gloom the Vita. Hell, the Media Create threads gives you a weekly dose! Please don't taint one of the few thread where Vita owner can actually enjoy discussing the thing.
Even better --- don't use my comments from another thread to do it. Please.

Has anyone taken the ATT 3G plunge yet? How was your experience?

Is Sony updating the vita store with apps today and what not or are they waiting for official launch?

turnbuckle

I totally recommend this trigger grip guys. So comfortable and it has a soft grip layer on it.

AluAPYuCAAELiSn.jpg:large

Got a link?

Looks nice except for all the freaking dust :p. Can't wait to play the Show on this thing <3

--edit--
nvm, I was looking at that one the other day. Glad to see some positive impressions. Will probably order one myself

BFIB

UPS guy just arrived!

Said he had trouble getting to my street earlier, but figured he'd attempt one more time while he was down this way!

Will open it shortly. Dang work meetings!

rmrivera

I have a question for those of you that already have the system. It continues downloads while playing a game correct? I have Golden Abyss on cart but i plan to pick up a bunch of games today digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom