• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weenerz

Banned
My PS Vita is at home, waiting on my porch. 1 more hour. Work will surely feel like 33.5 hours.

Kinda nervous about checking it out. A lot of dead pixel/frozen screens/failing to power up/games not loading talk going on here and other boards.

Wouldn't worry too much, you rarely see the positive parts online,usually just negative impressions.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Interesting. Both my FEB and 32GB card had delivery scheduled for today.

The memory card: UPS

FEB: FedEx

Winner?

UPS Delivered at 11AM (and he came from a city 30 min away)

FedEx still out for delivery (coming from a city 10 min away)

lol

Here I have been swiping away like a madman haha

Already got the online codes redeemed and patched for Wipeout and HSG. Even had cross game or party chat working too. This is sweet. I feel more connected than I do on the PS3.

So what games is everyone picking up. I'm literally 90% over the fence on getting one, because of the Target deal, but I can't justify any games besides Uncharted and Wipeout.

Are there any reviews for Mortal Kombat yet? Is Fifa basically 2012 the console version?

For Sure:

Uncharted
Hot Shots Golf
Wipeout
Lumines

A Few of These But Not All:

Virtua Tennis
Marvel vs Capcom
Rayman
Katamari Damacy

Virtua Tennis has moved up from a maybe to almost a probable. Marvel vs Capcom has slipped down to a maybe instead of a For Sure because Rayman is now on the list. Katamari Damacy used to be a definite but now may slip off to make room for some of these. I originally planned to get 6 games, but somehow that has started being pushed up to 7 or 8.

legbone

Went home to eat some lunch and there it was! I'm floored by the screen. I knew it was going to be cool but i had no idea. It's my first experience with an oled screen and now i want a tv with one. yeah, like i can afford that, but anyway.

One quick question that may be stupid. i could not find where to enter the online pass for hotshots on the vita. i ended up entering it on the ps3. what are people without ps3's supposed to do? please help and tell me where to enter this code on the vita because i may be away from the ps3 and need to enter an online pass.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Went home to eat some lunch and there it was! I'm floored by the screen. I knew it was going to be cool but i had no idea. It's my first experience with an oled screen and now i want a tv with one. yeah, like i can afford that, but anyway.

One quick question that may be stupid. i could not find where to enter the online pass for hotshots on the vita. i ended up entering it on the ps3. what are people without ps3's supposed to do? please help and tell me where to enter this code on the vita because i may be away from the ps3 and need to enter an online pass.

While on the PS store from the Vita, on the bottom right of the screen there will be a grey bubble there with options. One should be redeem code.

Respawn

Banned
I've had plenty of arguments with Marty over the years, but he's 100% right in that post.

We can go over the fine details of his post until the sunsets. We have to go with what makes sense realistically. . What should I do with my Vita if I have it today? Play games right and that's the price of buying it early just like buying everything else early in life. If Marty wants to establish a place in his world where everyone waits until a price drop on his product and wares then by all means Marty can go right ahead. Coming into a launch spread preaching about waiting for price drops is silly and quite hypocritical as another poster stated. So if he wants to say he never bought anything day one or splurged on something then he can say that also. Just not in here.

If you feel he's right and I'm wrong we are all entitled to that. He is also entitled to post how he feels. I just posted how I feel on the subject. That's all.

Has lockerz shipped anything for anyone? I "pre-ordered" virtual tennis over a week ago as it released yesterday. Was hoping for a shipping confirmation by now.

Also, how do i even cancel an order?

I feel you, pre-ordered Uncharted and VT as well as a 32gb card.
I received the mem card but have no idea about the status of the games.
All they will tell me is if you order at least 4 days prior to release they usually ship the games within 24 hours of release date.

A less than satisfactory experience to say the least.

I went to Best Buy to pick up Lumines and this guy walks up to the clerk and says "Lemme get one of dem Vitas" The clerk says "Sorry only had enough for those who reserved it, but we are still taking reserves for next week" The guy says "Fuck dat, I'll look on Craigslist.'

lolwut?

We can go over the fine details of his post until the sunsets. We have to go with what makes sense realistically. . What should I do with my Vita if I have it today? Play games right and that's the price of buying it early just like buying everything else early in life. If Marty wants to establish a place in his world where everyone waits until a price drop on his product and wares then by all means Marty can go right ahead. Coming into a launch spread preaching about waiting for price drops is silly and quite hypocritical as another poster stated. So if he wants to say he never bought anything day one or splurged on something then he can say that also. Just not in here.
There is a buy 2 get 1 free sale taking place before the official launch of the system. Worst case scenario you picked up the FEB and have to wait 4 days to pick up a few more of those games...

addyb

Wow this thread moves at a frightening pace.

Caught a comment on this thread about vita users showing as idle on ps3 friends lists. Is this true? Can anyone post a screen shot to confirm?

I'd also like to see a screenshot of the notification pop up that people are complaining about.

Thanks

Some quick questions.

1) Can you buy the physical/cart copy of a game, and then rip it to the memory stick?

2) Are there any surprises people pondering the whole digital vs physical game purchase route should be aware of?

Mrbob

If you feel he's right and I'm wrong we are all entitled to that. He is also entitled to post how he feels. I just posted how I feel on the subject. That's all.

He isn't talking about hardware. He is talking about people waiting for the upcoming Target B2G1 free promotion on Vita games. Since most of us don't have our Vita yet we can save money waiting for this promo before buying games (A promo Amazon will probably match).

wotta

1) No

2) Not really, though if you are doing digital you'll need more space obviously. Also even if you go cart, you still need memory for patches/saves.

I feel you, pre-ordered Uncharted and VT as well as a 32gb card.
I received the mem card but have no idea about the status of the games.
All they will tell me is if you order at least 4 days prior to release they usually ship the games within 24 hours of release date.

A less than satisfactory experience to say the least.

Hmm, I hope they get my Dynasty Warriors Next out quickly when it comes out soon. I preordered it about 3 days ago.

raven777

Hey, so does vita come charged? or should I fully charge it first before I turn it on for the first time?

And do you guys put screen protecter before turning it on as well?

I just can't wait! 1 and a half an hour more to go!!

You'd have to be blind/dumb to not know the B2G1free deals were going to hit, and hit quickly. I counted on it and therefore only bought a memory card, which I also think will drop in price quickly, but it's not like I can live without one until that happens. My big hope is that Amazon matches Target so that I can order it from the confines of my man-cave.

patsu

Hey, so does vita come charged? or should I fully charge it first before I turn it on for the first time?

You can tell by looking at the battery meter. Mine was almost fully charged.

What? I'm talking about being a smart shopper. There is a pattern of sales that you can expect. It was highly probable that some store or stores were going to have sales on Vita games during the launch to be competitive against each other. We need not look any further than less than a year ago when the 3DS launched. It's like we all know, come the Fall, usually sometime in October, there's going to be at least one B2G1 offer from TRU. It's like clockwork.

I'm not advocating don't buy anything until a price drop. I'm saying you can expect a sale within a reasonable time frame so it's worth waiting and seeing, especially if you're not going to be able to play the game anyway or at least if it only means waiting a couple days. Let's look at Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout, those were at 25% off and to me that was within range of what we could expect from a sale anyway so I would totally think it's a wise gamble to get those regardless of what launch sales there might be. It's an unknown gamble but a reasonable one and heck you saved 25% off full price.

I'm not saying wait months, I'm saying wait until the launch or at least a couple days.

Some quick questions.

1) Can you buy the physical/cart copy of a game, and then rip it to the memory stick?

2) Are there any surprises people pondering the whole digital vs physical game purchase route should be aware of?

1) Nope

2) Just realize physical will be cheaper in the long run and in some ways more future proof. Go digital if you want convenience but don't mind spending more.

Some people don't care about saving some money for their new toy.
No reason to judge, preach, or laugh.

I'm ok with that; just own up to it that you're burning cash or don't complain when a sale hits. That's all. What does amuse me though are the people who have to wait for a tax return in order to get one but then waste more money than needed in the process.

nekotama

Neo Member
I managed to apply the second screen protector to the back of the system--it's not as perfect as I'd like or as fancy as any other screen protectors, but it'll do for now. I'm really happy.

frequency

*snip* Drama *snip*

Yes. It's charged.
I put on the screen protector the moment I took it out. I don't want to deal with dust or finger prints when I put it on.

Quick question GAF. If I have reached the maximum number of "Game" systems Sony allows to share PSN accounts do I have to delete one if I wanna keep my PSN name for my vita?

Tobor

I buckled and bought Uncharted, but only because Best Buy gave me a $30 RZ coupon today. $20 was the right price. The only other game I want is Rayman, and I'll wait for a price drop.

patsu

You'd have to be blind/dumb to not know the B2G1free deals were going to hit, and hit quickly. I counted on it and therefore only bought a memory card, which I also think will drop in price quickly, but it's not like I can live without one until that happens. My big hope is that Amazon matches Target so that I can order it from the confines of my man-cave.

Well that's the tone that get people into trouble.

You don't have to be dumb/blind to not know or care about the Target deal. You could be too busy, too rich to care, itching to play a Vita game now, need to fly off before the deal hits, or prepping a great Valentine's Day gift.

It's great to share info but please keep your judgment to yourselves.

Chris R

I buckled and bought Uncharted, but only because Best Buy gave me a $30 RZ coupon today. $20 was the right price. The only other game I want is Rayman, and I'll wait for a price drop.

Did you buy it in a physical BB or online? Wondering if I should stop by my local BB... I have a pretty large gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

anddo0

Okay GAF.. Just got home from work... Reading all these impressions and striking out on picking up the FEB without a preorder. I decided to cancel my 3G/Wifi bundle (Amazon) in favor for the FEB+overnight shipping.. Am I insane?

Respawn

Banned
What? I'm talking about being a smart shopper. There is a pattern of sales that you can expect. It was highly probable that some store or stores were going to have sales on Vita games during the launch to be competitive against each other. We need not look any further than less than a year ago when the 3DS launched. It's like we all know, come the Fall, usually sometime in October, there's going to be at least one B2G1 offer from TRU. It's like clockwork.

I'm not advocating don't buy anything until a price drop. I'm saying you can expect a sale within a reasonable time frame so it's worth waiting and seeing, especially if you're not going to be able to play the game anyway or at least if it only means waiting a couple days. Let's look at Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout, those were at 25% off and to me that was within range of what we could expect from a sale anyway so I would totally think it's a wise gamble to get those regardless of what launch sales there might be. It's an unknown gamble but a reasonable one and heck you saved 25% off full price.

I'm not saying wait months, I'm saying wait until the launch or at least a couple days.

1) Nope

2) Just realize physical will be cheaper in the long run and in some ways more future proof. Go digital if you want convenience but don't mind spending more.

Well excuse my out burst and thanks for the well worded response. The thing about us human beings is we know what's right but do we do it? We all know what you posted and some of us just don't want to hear that shit right now lol. It's a a launch thread on new hardware and games. No one gives a crap about waiting at the moment. *handshake and a tip of the hat*

Parch

$300 isn't something to agonize over in my opinion.
I've spent way more money on way worse things.

Just let it go and enjoy it.
I mean... unless that money means you don't get to eat for a month or something.
True. Tech costs, and I think the PSV has done a pretty good job at being the best possible tech and still keeping it consumer affordable.

We see it with smart phones and pads, so why shouldn't we expect game systems to be as tech advanced as possible? Especially when it's expected to last several years. I hate it when a company cheaps out with sub par tech and expects consumers to still rave about it and pay top price. Yeah, I'm looking at you Nintendo.

I don't expect the new Iphone to have 2nd class tech. I expect new game systems to employ the same strategy. Be as technically advanced as reasonably possible.

The cost is a factor, but the PSV price will drop. Used games will be available soon. I'm just glad that the system is as top tech as functionally possible. That's the way consumer electronics are supposed be. I'll gladly pay a bit more for the most advanced system than settle for old tech that is already obsolete.

Tobor

Did you buy it in a physical BB or online? Wondering if I should stop by my local BB... I have a pretty large gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

I was out running errands and stopped in. They had all the launch games out on a rack. Full MSRP on everything, though.

BFIB

Okay GAF.. Just got home from work... Reading all these impressions and striking out on picking up the FEB without a preorder. I decided to cancel my 3G/Wifi bundle (Amazon) in favor for the FEB+overnight shipping.. Am I insane?

Nope! Congrats! This system is worth having early.

patsu

I managed to apply the second screen protector to the back of the system--it's not as perfect as I'd like or as fancy as any other screen protectors, but it'll do for now. I'm really happy.

Yap, I love the the protector on the backtouch. I can see how someone could scratch it from rubbing/sliding it across a dusty surface.

Well that's the tone that get people into trouble.

You don't have to be dumb/blind to not know or care about the Target deal. You could be too busy, too rich to care, itching to play a Vita game now, need to fly off before the deal hits, or prepping a great Valentine's Day gift.

It's great to share info but please keep your judgment to yourselves.

I didn't say that, though, did I? I said you'd have to be blind to not know they were coming. Whether you act on it or prepare for it is your own call, and however you choose neither makes you dumb or blind. But recent history tells you exactly what's going to happen as far as these deals are concerned. It wasnt a judgement on your decision. Relax.

Salaadin

I actually think that the people (like me) waiting until next week are the insane ones.

Yuripaw

Banned
Ummm... ok :( oh no...what's going on?

I thought I put my Vita into sleep mode for a few minutes, and I'm trying to get it to come back on, but nothing's happening. I'm pressing the power button, the PS button in the corner, but nothing's happening. The blue light is on under the PS symbol, but thats it. :( wtfffff

Some of the savings comments just read so smug. It feels like a "you gals/guys who bought stuff early are sooo stupid" or an "I told you so."

I doubt they are, but text is hard to get intent across.

I think that's the problem some people are having.

But anyway... I hate myself for contributing to this silly bickering with this post.
My original comment, which apparently started this whole thing, was not meant to make anyone feel stupid for buying a bunch of games at launch. What surprises me far more than someone being willing to spend all that money is that there are actually that many games truly worth buying (let alone at full price). I understand that everyone else isn't like me, and I'm fine with that, I just personally cannot relate at all.

It was just a simple opinion that got blown way out of proportion.

Well this topic sure did turn to crap.
It's moving fast. All of this will probably be swallowed up by impressions within the next hour.

Is there a trick to getting the back touchpad to work - do you have to turn it on somehow? Mine isn't responding.

EDIT: Restarting the system fixed it. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom