• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever you do, don't spend it on PSVR worlds. You're better of with Thumper , Batman , Until Dawn, Tumble, Headmaster , Bound etc. All great for different reasons.

I echo this. Psvr world's is good for showing vr to people but until dawn, Thumper and Batman will give you much better value for money

Ozorov

Webhallen still has a few for in-store pickups. Would be interesting to see how many Sweden was actually allotted. I recall when I went in to pickup my pre-order from Webhallen, their webpage said 0 in stock (for new buys, not pre-orders), but when I got there, they had quite a few on the shelves ready for sale, so apparently there were more than expected shipped to them at least.

I hope the single PS move controller comes. I already have one from the PS3, but only the double-pack is available for purchase afaik.

Yeah Webhallen seems to be getting by far the most in Sweden. The only online-store that has it in stock now and then. I've not seen the double-pack available in stock anywhere since launch :(

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever you do, don't spend it on PSVR worlds. You're better of with Thumper , Batman , Until Dawn, Tumble, Headmaster , Bound etc. All great for different reasons.

I echo this. Psvr world's is good for showing vr to people but until dawn, Thumper and Batman will give you much better value for money

Awww man. As short as it was, I really enjoyed the London Heist shooting gallery demo and wanted to try it out in the full game, plus Ocean Descent seems to be the go-to demo for family members. I'll give it a think, cheers.

Moreche

I'm returning mine because the amount of hairline scratches the lenses pick up is worrying.
I don't use glasses and wipe with a microfibre cloth, I shouldn't have to baby the thing so much but I don't think it's possible to avoid them.
Sony obviously used shit lenses. This and the fact that the PU downgrades the image to the TV when not using it is enough for me to realise that Sony went cheap in areas it shouldn't have.

crimilde

Banned
I'm returning mine because the amount of hairline scratches it picks up is worrying.
I don't use glasses and wipe with a microfibre cloth, I shouldn't have to baby the thing so much but I don't think it's possible to avoid them.
Sony obviously used shit lenses. This and the fact that the PU downgrades the image to the TV when not using it is enough for me to realise that Sony went cheap in areas it shouldn't have.

That's strange. Where are the scratches coming from? Eyelashes?

I use mine with glasses and not a scratch in sight even though I fiddled quite alot with the headset on my head a lot to find the best position.

Apt101

OMG I found out there's a game that lets you assume the role of a crew member on the bridge in the Star Trek universe and it's coming to PSVR. Oh please be good.

Scratches on the lens you say? I've played the heck out of mine and had to wipe the lens often, still fine. So that's weird.

Moreche

That's strange. Where are the scratches coming from? Eyelashes?

I use mine with glasses and not a scratch in sight even though I fiddled quite alot with the headset on my head a lot to find the best position.
They appear to be circular scratches from wiping with my microfibre cloth, I know all about particles on the lens and cloth but it shouldn't be happening.
Shine a light from a small torch on your lens and you'll be surprised.

They appear to be circular scratches from wiping with my microfibre cloth, I know all about particles on the lens and cloth but it shouldn't be happening.

If you light a small torch, eveyone will see minor imperfections. I see nothing while gaming, but I'm sure I will have some minor scratches too. Lighting them up with a torch won't do me any good. My advice, if you don't notice then, don't go looking go them. It will ruin the fun you are having.

Got £30 in my PS Wallet. Do I spend the whole lot on PS VR Worlds, or divvy it up between 2 or 3 games?

Could get Thumper + Batman for example, or Wayward Skies + Tumble + Super Stardust. Or even Job Simulator + Tumble or something. Really can't decide!

Don't buy VR Worlds. London Heist is ok but it's like 30-45min for the full experience. All the other games on it are about as compelling as the stuff on the free demo. I actually play the Demo more than VR worlds.

You're better off getting a few games. I'm in the same position too, looking for what to buy but it seems like everyone likes a few different things.

Garuda1One

Had a big breakfast before trying my PSVR for the first time, boot up EVE Valkyrie from the demo disk

not a good decision..

really not a good decision..

Awww man. As short as it was, I really enjoyed the London Heist shooting gallery demo and wanted to try it out in the full game, plus Ocean Descent seems to be the go-to demo for family members. I'll give it a think, cheers.

I really love London Heist but there is I think 5 scenes, 3 of which you are pretty much a static observer.

Ocean Descent is really cool but if you have multiple people wanting to try it's best to try and not let others see, as once they know what's coming it's a lot of the experience lost.

When I had people try the kitchen demo I turned off the tv lol

In my humble opinion the best games are Rigs/Battlezone and Until Dawn

I really love London Heist but there is I think 5 scenes, 3 of which you are pretty much a static observer.

Ocean Descent is really cool but if you have multiple people wanting to try it's best to try and not let others see, as once they know what's coming it's a lot of the experience lost.

Agree on PSVR worlds. Danger Ball is pretty great too imo, but the price for the complete package is way too high. It's great to show friends, but then again I regret buying it for 39,99 euro

Moreche

I'm sure that Sony, out of all manufacturers, uses 'shit lenses'. Oh boy
I'm sure that the lenses are probably the best there is but the quality of the glass or if it's plastic maybe a protector on there would help.
But I've only had mine a week, how will they look in a year?

robotrock

Banned
I'm sure that the lenses are probably the best there is but the quality of the glass or if it's plastic maybe a protector on there would help.
But I've only had mine a week, how will they look in a year?

Hairline scratches on it are okay. All VR headsets get those.

You can be super careful about it if you want to but ultimately you gotta accept it. You shouldn't ever notice a hairline scratch while playing a game, or have it cause a negative effect on the experience.

Paganmoon

So has anyone noticed jankyness with the HDMI CEC (HDMI Link in PS4 menus, called many things by different manufacturers) after connecting the breakout box? I've been searching and can't really find much about it other than one person posting something about to on Reddit.

The problem is, my receiver would change input to BD (which I had the PS4 on), whenever I pressed the PS button, or turned the PS4 on. Nowdays, it changes to TV, where I have no input. It basically seems like the breakout box captures the CEC signal, and adds "TV" to the code, making my receiver set to that input, which is annoying as hell. I mean, the CEC signal should say "use this active input", not "use that other input named TV that has no active signal".

vio

I got to try PS VR demo in store yesterday. Things did not go so well, everything was blury for me, maybe out of focus? Especially on my left side.
Anyway, i did try RIGS. The beginning, when you choose your Rig, other pilots coming closer to me, and finally that moment being in the Rig itself was fucking amazing. Immersion was incredible, i was blown away. Once the game started the problem with focus was too much to enjoy it, but i had no problem with nausea. It was only like 5 mins though.

edit: The game looks fantastic, i am perfectly fine with those visuals.

Got to try this out and have to say it was fantastic, although after having access for a full day I am actually fairly content on the fill I just got - it's absolutely fantastic though and as im so in love with it I don't really know if I should wait for the next wave of games and a price drop or just jump in now to enjoy the stuff I got to play more

Im actually curious, is there a way to display what the camera is viewing easily? The one 'feature' request I would have is to be able to map the ps camera view to the dpad so I can quickly pause the game, view the room around me and get my bearings in something like batman without having to take the headset off

Fun time all round have to day

Im actually curious, is there a way to display what the camera is viewing easily? The one 'feature' request I would have is to be able to map the ps camera view to the dpad so I can quickly pause the game, view the room around me and get my bearings in something like batman without having to take the headset off

If you hold down the PS button and select the headset there is an option to view what the camera sees.

When i checked earlier this week there were quite a few VR headsets still available online (non-bundle). Took another look today and pretty much ever online store here in Sweden are currently out of stock. Lots of good 4-5 star user reviews as well. This thing seems to be doing well over here so far.

Same in Switzerland, there's 0 online retailer with stock. Same goes for the few brick and mortar stores I checked out. Of course could be because Sony only shipped few PSVRs...

How do people feel about Thumper vs Super Hypercube? I wanna buy a full game for VR after trying the demos and I don't know which to buy. I'm really curious about Super Hypercube because I haven't played it but I hear people claim it's absolutely incredible, while on the other hand the I really liked what I played from the Thumper demo.

Which is the better buy?

Super hyper cube needs to be cheaper so get thumper and wait for a a sale

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Paganmoon said:
So has anyone noticed jankyness with the HDMI CEC
The only change I noticed was that an extra HDMI input appeared in my TV input selection (there's the original PS4 one, and PS4"new" or some such), but selecting either one works exactly the same (turining off/on and controlling the console via TV remote works fine in either case).

Disktrasa

Banned
I don't know how to do actually, bought it last sunday, i have 30days to try it out and if i leave it back before those 30 days are gone i get all the money back.

I love it and think its awesome, but i don't think i will use it that much, love regular gaming very much and don't have so much sparetime, job, kids etc.

And then its when its time to play, its easy to setup but still there is a lot of cables and stuff to deal with everytime its time to play.

It makes the eyes and sometimes the head pretty tired, i love what i have tried so far, just don't know if its worth keeping, its a lot of money to.

Hm, hard decision =/

rafaelr

How do I win mission 18 in Tumble. It's the one that has the two blocks going back and forth at different intervals and you have to build

iirc, i think that´s lvl 19:
you have to use the wooden plank vertically as the piece to get you to the required height.

just rotate so the moving blocks go towards/away from you
put 2 big blocks on the floor next to that middle thing on top of each other
put the small metal one on the platform in the middle
use the 3rd big block to create a gap between itself and the metal block and fit the wooden plank in there vertically.

kinggroin

Banned
So has anyone noticed jankyness with the HDMI CEC (HDMI Link in PS4 menus, called many things by different manufacturers) after connecting the breakout box? I've been searching and can't really find much about it other than one person posting something about to on Reddit.

The problem is, my receiver would change input to BD (which I had the PS4 on), whenever I pressed the PS button, or turned the PS4 on. Nowdays, it changes to TV, where I have no input. It basically seems like the breakout box captures the CEC signal, and adds "TV" to the code, making my receiver set to that input, which is annoying as hell. I mean, the CEC signal should say "use this active input", not "use that other input named TV that has no active signal".

I have issues where I can't properly get a signal on my TV through the breakout box with it enabled. Took me a while to figure out.

I don't know how to do actually, bought it last sunday, i have 30days to try it out and if i leave it back before those 30 days are gone i get all the money back.

I love it and think its awesome, but i don't think i will use it that much, love regular gaming very much and don't have so much sparetime, job, kids etc.

And then its when its time to play, its easy to setup but still there is a lot of cables and stuff to deal with everytime its time to play.

It makes the eyes and sometimes the head pretty tired, i love what i have tried so far, just don't know if its worth keeping, its a lot of money to.

Hm, hard decision =/

I am having the same dilemma. There is no doubt it is an awesome piece of kit, and some of the games have really blown me away (particularly Batman Arkham VR). However I can't see myself playing this as often as I do regular gaming as it isn't a very comfortable way to play.

On a side note, I think the wires etc are pretty manageable. I have the breakout box sat next to my TV where I used to have an android box, and all the wires are mostly tucked away behind my tv when I am not using it. The USB from the PS4 to the breakout box even looks relatively tidy. When I am not using it, I have been putting the extension cable and the headset in a box so everything looks mostly neat.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just a quick note for all others who try to show off VR to other people:

I have showed off my PSVR on 4 different occasions now, with casual, hardcore and in between people and while their opinion on certain games certainly differs, I always go with the same structure to present games with.

After going through the usual suspects of Batman, Bound, Demo Disc stuff, Allumette, Tumble I always end with Harmonix VR 3D Drawing and even after 1-2 hours of "amazing" VR experiences, they are all still blown away by it. I cannot stress enough how much of an eye opening experience that game/mode is, as it truly shows what you can do in VR that wouldnt work without it and utterly immerses you in it. I let the people playing decide how much time they want to put into each demo/game, and its usually around 1 hour-ish with all of the other stuff combined and then more than that for Harmonix VR alone. Even if you dont see yourself drawing a lot, you really should consider picking it up for showing off the potential of VR.

Moreche

Hairline scratches on it are okay. All VR headsets get those.

You can be super careful about it if you want to but ultimately you gotta accept it. You shouldn't ever notice a hairline scratch while playing a game, or have it cause a negative effect on the experience.
Okay thanks for that, I thought that it would affect it. So the hairline scratches are nothing to worry above?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So, aside from Robinson, what are the next "real" game titles coming up? Apart from short experiences, mini games and fun toyboxes, I mean? Anything even remotely close to the production value and "game-iness" of Batman VR but full length coming up?

sackninja

So, aside from Robinson, what are the next "real" game titles coming up? Apart from short experiences, mini games and fun toyboxes, I mean? Anything even remotely close to the production value and "game-iness" of Batman VR but full length coming up?

Eagle flight has a full open world campaign and versus multiplayer, so that.

kinggroin

Banned

Paranormal Activity VR

deadfolk

So is Driveclub VR the whole game or just a cut down version in any way?

I know saves don't carry across, but other than that is it the same game?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Eagle flight has a full open world campaign and versus multiplayer, so that.

Paranormal Activity VR

Mmmmh :| I'm way too easily scared for horror games, and Eeagle flight seemed super weird (and nausea-inducing if Driveclub/that Scifi-Demo are anything to go by).

Oh well, I guess I'll be safe to wait with the occasional lending of the thing for now. Thanks guys!

Full game. The tour is different, you get more tracks and a new game mode called cruise, as well as a different trophy set. There are a few cars missing such as the Lamborghinis and the Renault Alpine, but the vast majority are there including the season pass content. Everything else that was in the original is present in the VR version.

Plasma

Banned

Star Trek Bridge Crew is the next thing that's coming out that I'm look forward to, just a shame it got delayed.

Goldrusher

Yes and no.

New events/career. You also start from scratch in terms of levelling and unlocks.
The track list is 90% the same, but there are quite a few new ones.
The car list is a mix of the original game and the DLC.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Star Trek Bridge Crew is the next thing that's coming out that I'm look forward to, just a shame it got delayed.

Yes! That's the stuff I'm looking for in VR, but it's still way too far away for me to bother with buying the damn thing :D

Microfiber cloths shed, btw. When they get a few uses and age - they dry and get brittle. They are very soft fibers and get rough over time.

I clean mine under a light every time I take it off to take a break. I used a microfiber cloth ONCE and saw all these little scratches. I got freaked and grabbed a small glasses lens cloth I got from COSTCO. Turns out the scratches were just pieces of the microfiber cloth. Wiped clean away.

When you wipe your lenses, you are obviously wiping off smudges. Take your microfiber cloth and clean a mirror with it, spray the mirror and wipe. You'll be greeted with all these little hairline scratches that aren't scratches - the cloth sheds.

Double check with a different soft cloth like the one Sony gave you. I dont think that one is nearly soft enough or good enough so I stick to my Costco lens cloth I've had for years to clean my glasses.

Microfiber cloths are great for taking wax of off your car or wiping DRY surfaces but the second they get any kind of soil on them like oil from your face or wet from sweat or glass cleaner - they shed like mad leaving behind tiny hairs that look like scratches.

Believe me I wipe mine down constantly and I got nothing but a smooth surface when using the right cloth.

Most cloths used for Eyeglasses aren't microfiber specifically so they don't shed. They are a very soft, non-shed cloth safe for lens use.

Double check again using a different cloth.

spidye

I still have no idea how to play that game. all the previews show it as a LAN game.
does this mean I have to get 3 other people in the same room with a PS4 and VR?

Moreche

Microfiber cloths shed, btw. When they get a few uses and age - they dry and get brittle. They are very soft fibers and get rough over time.

I clean mine under a light every time I take it off to take a break. I used a microfiber cloth ONCE and saw all these little scratches. I got freaked and grabbed a small glasses lens cloth I got from COSTCO. Turns out the scratches were just pieces of the microfiber cloth. Wiped clean away.

When you wipe your lenses, you are obviously wiping off smudges. Take your microfiber cloth and clean a mirror with it, spray the mirror and wipe. You'll be greeted with all these little hairline scratches that aren't scratches - the cloth sheds.

Double check with a different soft cloth like the one Sony gave you. I dont think that one is nearly soft enough or good enough so I stick to my Costco lens cloth I've had for years to clean my glasses.

Microfiber cloths are great for taking wax of off your car or wiping DRY surfaces but the second they get any kind of soil on them like oil from your face or wet from sweat or glass cleaner - they shed like mad leaving behind tiny hairs that look like scratches.

Believe me I wipe mine down constantly and I got nothing but a smooth surface when using the right cloth.

Most cloths used for Eyeglasses aren't microfiber specifically so they don't shed. They are a very soft, non-shed cloth safe for lens use.

Double check again using a different cloth.
Thanks for this, they're definitely scratches and I've not cleaned it with anything else. It also sits in its box when not in use. But if the scratches don't affect it's VR use then I'm hoping it should be okay.
It annoys me though because it's an area that Sony like other manufacturers have used a material that should've used something else.
If it's a company like Sony who specialise in camera lens then it makes me wonder why. I know the consumer price point means everything and corners need cut but how much more would PSVR have really cost with scratch-proof lenses and a PU box with a HDR output and a switch so that you could use the PS4 without having to swap cables?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah OK, I get where you're coming from. I figure Worlds will go down in price shortly and if there's a VR PS+ game incoming, it'll be this one. Thanks again for the input.

Thanks for this, they're definitely scratches and I've not cleaned it with anything else. It also sits in its box when not in use. But if the scratches don't affect it's VR use then I'm hoping it should be okay.
It annoys me though because it's an area that Sony like other manufacturers have used a material that should've used something else.
If it's a company like Sony who specialise in camera lens then it makes me wonder why. I know the consumer price point means everything and corners need cut but how much more would PSVR have really cost with scratch-proof lenses and a PU box with a HDR output and a switch so that you could use the PS4 without having to swap cables?
I'm just saying to the bolded - why?

Try cleaning it with anything else. Even your shirt. See if those are scratches or if they are microfiber shed. I had to wipe mine several times clean to get the shed off as they tend to stick real bad.

unless you were using an old microfiber with dust and other debris in it from use - I wipe mine constantly and have zero scratches.

The Sony cloth is better than the microfiber cloth, was clean/new and they gave it to you. There are better cloths out there (again I stick with glasses lens cleaner cloth) than the Sony one buy the Sony one shouldn't scratch the lenses, I just don't think it gets smudges out at all.

Try giving it a clean with the sony cloth and take your time. It might just be the microfiber cloth shedding since you've been using it the whole time and nothing else. That shedding won't come off first try, they like to stick.

Just my .02, I don't think it's the Sony lenses with how often I clean mine - several times a night when I break from playing and again before each use and they are still like new with being used every day since launch.

deadfolk

Full game. The tour is different, you get more tracks and a new game mode called cruise, as well as a different trophy set. There are a few cars missing such as the Lamborghinis and the Renault Alpine, but the vast majority are there including the season pass content. Everything else that was in the original is present in the VR version.

Yes and no.

New events/career. You also start from scratch in terms of levelling and unlocks.
The track list is 90% the same, but there are quite a few new ones.
The car list is a mix of the original game and the DLC.

Good enough for me - thanks!

ViolentP

Buy a $7 lens pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom