• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

It's really crazy, I've played the Driveclub demo so many times, but it's honestly one of the most comfortable experiences in VR for me.

Tried the Rez demo and I was slightly getting sick from it which surprised me.

I'm pretty sure I'm immune to Rigs and Driveclub now.

soco

does the headset run at a low resolution? I tried a few games /demos tonight and they all seemed pretty low-res in the headset. like pretty jaggy edges everywhere. Was it maybe something to do with the way they had it connected?

onken

Finally played this at a friend's house yesterday.
-did Ocean Descent first. Basically no screen door effect which was great but definitely slightly blurry due to the resolution. I found if the headset was not in *exactly* the right place it became hard for me to focus on the image. Head tracking worked great.
-did London Heist second. Picking up/dropping stuff with 2 x Move was realllly fun. Shooting was fun but I couldn't duck properly (because sitting down I guess) and kept getting shot. Also about 20 minutes in the hands position broke and it thought I was angled about 45 degrees to the right so had to quit.
-played EVE next - this looked amazing but rolling really starting my stomach turning, but it's quite hard to fight the urge to roll since that's how I always play air combat games (i.e. roll until your target is on the top of your screen and then pull up hard). Still looked and played great, though.
-played Driveclub next - this was really good. Didn't feel nauseous at all. My only real gripe with this is I'm not used to the DC physics (big GT fan). Also the FOV seems like it needs to be a touch higher, I feel like I shouldn't have to turn that much to check the wing mirrors. But still was impressive!

In conclusion, it was quite a bit better than I thought it would be but still doesn't get over my fundamental issue with the technology - it's an immersive experience, but not a relaxing one. It reminded me of playing Killzone 3 or Bioshock Infinite with Move - you have to be standing or sitting upright in just the right place - if you move out of camera view then it breaks, it's a tiring experience honestly. I think my friend owning one, mayyyybe occassionally borrowing it, is enough for me for now.

I was wondering....has anyone gotten surround sound to work while wearing the headset? I like the stereo 3d sound that the headset employs but i dont see why the same effect cant be reproduced (in fact improved) with full surround sound?

The positional audio works great with the headset but i dont like cutting out all ambient noise by wearing them. I use 7.1 surround and would prefer to at least have the option of not using the headphones if i dont want to while still getting that positional audio.

Im hoping this feature is used going forward.

Tagg9

Camera Position: Above or Below
After running both cameras through their paces, I can again confirm that at least for me, your camera's VERTICAL PLACEMENT appears to be single the biggest factor regarding tracking fidelity. Too high, and you get wobbling and swaying. For me, below the TV results in near rock solid tracking.
From my testing, it appears that the PSVR prefers that the camera be nearly equal to or slightly below the headset. If the camera is placed too high that it is looking down (as it was when placed on top of my 65" TV) it causes wobbling and swaying on both model cameras. Placing the camera below the TV (roughly 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the ground) provided the most stability when coupled with the proper distance (see next). In fact, for standing games I found tracking works better even when the camera was below and might even be improved when raised another foot.
Also, placing the camera on top of the TV might introduce sway due to the TV simply moving. Having the camera on a solid, flat surface like your entertainment center below the TV is probably more stable anyway.
Verdict: Camera height MOST impacts tracking fidelity. 2-3 feet from the floor, when coupled with a distance of 5-6 feet works best regardless of camera model. Placing it on top of the TV may also introduce swaying.

Awesome write up, although anecdotally I've found that positioning the camera on top of my TV (~4ft) pointed slightly down is much better than having it below my TV (~2ft) and pointed up.

Also, I might be crazy but the old camera seems more precise when I use it compared to the new version.

Guys,

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is really fun. We had a group of people over and we were screaming and whatnot at the jump scares. I don't care what the critics said I had a blast.

M_A_C

Great Info!

Thanks for the detailed write up! What are your thoughts on running the Camera 3 picture setup thing and re-syncing the headset and controllers? I haven't found that to make any difference, but I'm not sure how often you should do it.

To be honest the Wobble is starting to make me more sick/annoyed than when I first start playing last week, and I kinda want to get an Oculus Rift just to be done with the tracking problems and to play Lucky's Tale.

TheBear

So rush of blood level 5 just triggered the fuck out of me. I have arachnophobia, and the second the huge
Spider came out I wussed out immediately and hit the PS button. I took a breathe and said "LOL video games" went back in and realised the spider was the size of a fucking house and screamed 'FUCK FUCK FUCK' and ripped the headset off. Everything upto this point in VR including kitchen has been fine but this was too much.

Is there a way to skip this level? Are there any more house sized (or regular sized) spiders in the game?

I'm also having a lot of problems with headset drift, in this and the shooting gallery especially. Currently waiting on a camera mount so I can put it on top of the TV. Hopefully that will sort out the issues

ckohler

My TV never moves. On top seems to be the best, 4 ft off the ground.

Awesome write up, although anecdotally I've found that positioning the camera on top of my TV (~4ft) pointed slightly down is much better than having it below my TV (~2ft) and pointed up.

Maybe there is something to 4ft. I'll test it tomorrow using a tripod. I really shoudn't have said "below is better than above" since my TV is so tall. On top of my TV is slightly taller than me where as on top of your guy's TV would put the camera in the center of mine. That's what I mean by it being circumstantial.

Briarios

Anyone else excited for Eagle Flight VR? From the videos I've watched I can already tell I'm going to enjoy soaring in that game.

Very much so. The Kotaku preview said there was an amazing sense of flying in the game.

Is job simulator a stand up and play vr game? I'm in a wheelchair and I'm worried I can't play this game.

I stood up because sitting on the futon made it hard to reach around me. I think, if you're playing in the wheelchair, you'd be able to, though you might have to turn the chair sometimes. You do have to reach to the side and turn some. Check out the demo -- it might give you a better idea. Most of the games have been perfect from a sitting position.

Mezoly

Is job simulator a stand up and play vr game? I'm in a wheelchair and I'm worried I can't play this game.

It's a standing game. There is lowering and raising the level but it's only from the main menu which make it hard to figure out the right height. I personally wouldn't recommend it sitting because I tried to do it sitting and it was frustrating to do and I just gave up and played it standing. You can try the demo but I don't think it has the raising and lowering mechanism.

DjRalford

Ok my brain really plays tricks on me at times

Batman VR

when reaching into the morgue fridge to pull the body out and scan it, whatever hand I use it feels like I've put it in something cold

Really freaky

Until Dawn
Rigs
Batman VR

These three games are incredible and really good launch titles.

Ontop of that Bound and Thumper and rez and ...

Man great launch lineup.

Rush of Blood, Kitchen or Ocean Descent, which one scared you the most?

For me it was Ocean Descent by a mile over Rush of Blood, and that was well before the shark even showed up. Rush of Blood is just a few jump scares and one eardrum threatening moment, nowhere near as psychologically intense as being stuck in a cage while someone lowers you into an inky black watery abyss.

Haven't tried Kitchen yet, that's for tonights session.

If Ocean Descent was scary for you there's a 360 3D video of real sharks swimming around in this app called Vrideo you can get at the PStore. I'm very afraid of fish IRL but I was able to do Descent without much problem. That video as a bit scarier though. Of all the games you mentioned Kitchen was the scariest, but overall it's still something like a 3-4 out of 10 in the scare meter.

DjRalford

Ok I have some strange feedback to give.

Camera is 4ft high on top of TV

No natural light, just the living room lights on

System restart before playing

I've just been playing a few games from my sofa which is almost 12ft from the camera, normally sat on a chair 5ft away.

No drift at all, not even in cinema mode, and I usually get about 30 degrees to the left, and just a small amount of swimming in allumette, which was the last thing I played.

I'm fairly certain now positioning doesn't matter as much as people think, a fresh system is key and something in the software is botching it on rest / resume.

PrinceKee

Great choices. Until Dawn is way better than I expected.

My favorite VR game at the moment. Until Dawn just gives me that old school arcade feeling when playing. The London Heist also was amazing to me and I want to see a full fleshed out game like it. Bought Batman Arkham VR and haven't played it, but am excited to play it after hearing the positive impressions here...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I am just totally back in love with Rez. It's like re-dating an old girlfriend who was hot back in the day but is now *super* hot and learnt some new tricks along the way.

ckohler

I've just been playing a few games from my sofa which is almost 12ft from the camera, normally sat on a chair 5ft away.

No drift at all, not even in cinema mode, and I usually get about 30 degrees to the left, and just a small amount of swimming in allumette, which was the last thing I played.

I'm fairly certain now positioning doesn't matter as much as people think, a fresh system is key and something in the software is botching it on rest / resume.

12ft?! That seems really hard to believe. I'll test it. Also, cinema mode has nothing to do with camera position. It doesn't use camera tracking. Only VR games do.

Mezoly

The Here They Lie demo was great.

Is it representative of the full game? If so, it's an immediate buy.

I would like to hear impressions as well I like the demo and I've heard the game is even better. I watched the PS access video they did for the game intro and it's really cool don't watch it if you don't want to spoil the game intro.

Theonik

Looks like UK amazon betrayed me and is shipping my psvr now after all. The only reason I cancelled in the first place was I wanted second shipment in November.

Now to stare at it for 2 weeks. Or I could scalp.

I really hope Project Aces is looking at stuff like EVE for VR inspiration in Ace Combat 7.
1. I'd rip off EVE's virtual pregame "lobby" immediately, it really sells vr over the typical text type menu.
Looking down at my suited up body holding a datapad about the same way as the ds4, and my teammates all chilling around the room in their own chairs.
This would also make typically pointless customization somewhat useful, flightsuit color, nation and unit patches and so on(surprised EVE doesn't bother besides giving PC and PC players different flightsuits).

Bradach

I wonder how well it's doing sales wise.

Anecdotally, the sales person in my local game shop (Dublin) says they are selling as fast as they can get them. There's huge interest he says.
It'll be intersting to see some numbers over the next few months.

Spman2099

I wonder how well it's doing sales wise.

Anecdotally, the sales person in my local game shop (Dublin) says they are selling as fast as they can get them. There's huge interest he says.
It'll be intersting to see some numbers over the next few months.

I don't think the first month or two will be able to tell us much. Six months in we will have a MUCH better idea.

Fox1304

Danger ball and the shooting ranges from the heist are both super fun !
Really surprised by danger ball, all the particles and depth effects make for a really fun vr feeling.
Luge on the other hand ....

tr00per

I did some more camera experimenting today and here are the results. Your milage may vary but I figured it doesn't hurt to share my results. Be sure to check out my original post regarding tracking from several days ago.

Original PlayStation Camera vs. New model
Having now tested both the original launch day and new model camera, I don't see much difference in performance. It does appear that the older camera's optics are slightly different when looking at the calibration screens (the shapes on the hmd are less distinct on the old camera) but I don't think the difference lends itself to better or worse tracking at least compared to the other variables below. However, one strange issue I ran into is that the original launch day camera kills my PS4's wifi whenever plugged in. My friend has the same configuration and his wifi works, however. Just thought I would mention it. I've been using the new camera since launch day and will continue to do so.
Verdict: There doesn't appear to be any significant difference between the two models that directly affects performance in any way I can confirm.

After running both cameras through their paces, I can again confirm that at least for me, your camera's VERTICAL PLACEMENT appears to be single the biggest factor regarding tracking fidelity. Too high, and you get wobbling and swaying. For me, below the TV results in near rock solid tracking.
From my testing, it appears that the PSVR prefers that the camera be nearly equal to or slightly below the headset. If the camera is placed too high that it is looking down (as it was when placed on top of my 65" TV) it causes wobbling and swaying on both model cameras. Placing the camera below the TV (roughly 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the ground) provided the most stability when coupled with the proper distance (see next). In fact, for standing games I found tracking works better even when the camera was below and might even be improved when raised another foot.
Also, placing the camera on top of the TV might introduce sway due to the TV simply moving. Having the camera on a solid, flat surface like your entertainment center below the TV is probably more stable anyway.
Verdict: Camera height MOST impacts tracking fidelity. 2-3 feet from the floor, when coupled with a distance of 5-6 feet works best regardless of camera model. Placing it on top of the TV may also introduce swaying.

Distance from Camera
While this doesn't appear to affect camera performance as much as height, this does obviously impact it. PlayStation's recommendations appear to be right that around 5-6 feet works best when the camera is set at the height mentioned above. Moving further than 6 feet drops the accuracy and introduces wobble and swaying. Moving closer than 5 feet actually can increase fidelity slightly but you run into the issue of being too close and loosing arm tracking. Also, games appear to prefer the 5-6 range during calibrations.
Verdict: Around 5 to 6 feet from camera appears to be optimal.

Sitting versus Standing
Not all PSVR experiences work while sitting but most do and I recommend it. I've consistently found that tracking works better while seated if only because it keeps you in a consistent range of the camera. In other words, you don't wander further away and reduce fidelity. Also, sitting puts you more directly facing the camera if it's sitting roughly 2-3 feet above the floor.
Verdict: Play sitting down if possible. You'll likely be more stable. If you must stand, stand in the same spot and just point the camera up slightly.

Do games track differently?
I don't believe so. After doing my preferred setup, I found even notoriously figity titles like Job Simulator (which can be played sitting, btw) remain almost completely stable. The hands on that game are a bit "wiggier" than other titles. Regardless, dialing in your setup appears to be able to make any game's tracking acceptable.
Verdict: I don't believe so. Tracking quality appears to be almost entirely dependent on camera/user position.

Drifting to the Left
Sigh....I can not prevent this. Like others, I think this might be a software issue with the headset. It has nothing to do with the camera/positional tracking as it happens even when positional tracking/camera is off (theatre mode). It's so pronounced that if I hold still, I can almost see the image moving slowly to the left. C'mon Sony, patch this because it's pretty bad. I've tried sitting center of the left "eye" of the camera. Moving closer. Nothing prevents this behavior. Either the gyro in most people's headsets are bad, or the HMD's driver needs fixing.

Final Recommendations
Here's my recommended setup:
  • Place the camera below the TV on your stable entertainment center roughly 2 to 3 feet from the floor.
  • Sit in a non-swivel chair roughly 5 feet from the center of the camera
  • If you must stand, stand in this same spot and simply point the camera up slightly more.
Again, your milage may vary. Removing reflective surfaces around you may also help but for what it's worth I performed these tests with a corner light and a glass table behind me and I was still able to get a good level of tracking stability.

Preventing Motion Sickness
I'm somewhat convinced that my ability to overcome my initial motion sickness with PSVR is probably a combination of improving my tracking and just general experience. Before you blast through the demo disc, try to dial in your tracking with a stable game like the Tumble VR demo. Once you feel you have a rather stable setup with almost no "world wobble", move on to the other demos/games. I think you'll have a much better first experience and will be able to ease any delicate stomach into VR. At this point, I can play almost anything and come away quite comfortable. I even played the Rigs demo and Job Simulator demo tonight and had no issues.

You win five whole Internets. Thank you for your patience and your help. This should be in the OP

I did some more camera experimenting today and here are the results. Your milage may vary but I figured it doesn't hurt to share my results. Be sure to check out my original post regarding tracking from several days ago.

Original PlayStation Camera vs. New model
Having now tested both the original launch day and new model camera, I don't see much difference in performance. It does appear that the older camera's optics are slightly different when looking at the calibration screens (the shapes on the hmd are less distinct on the old camera) but I don't think the difference lends itself to better or worse tracking at least compared to the other variables below. However, one strange issue I ran into is that the original launch day camera kills my PS4's wifi whenever plugged in. My friend has the same configuration and his wifi works, however. Just thought I would mention it. I've been using the new camera since launch day and will continue to do so.
Verdict: There doesn't appear to be any significant difference between the two models that directly affects performance in any way I can confirm.

Distance from Camera
While this doesn't appear to affect camera performance as much as height, this does obviously impact it. PlayStation's recommendations appear to be right that around 5-6 feet works best when the camera is set at the height mentioned above. Moving further than 6 feet drops the accuracy and introduces wobble and swaying. Moving closer than 5 feet actually can increase fidelity slightly but you run into the issue of being too close and loosing arm tracking. Also, games appear to prefer the 5-6 range during calibrations.
Verdict: Around 5 to 6 feet from camera appears to be optimal.

Sitting versus Standing
Not all PSVR experiences work while sitting but most do and I recommend it. I've consistently found that tracking works better while seated if only because it keeps you in a consistent range of the camera. In other words, you don't wander further away and reduce fidelity. Also, sitting puts you more directly facing the camera if it's sitting roughly 2-3 feet above the floor.
Verdict: Play sitting down if possible. You'll likely be more stable. If you must stand, stand in the same spot and just point the camera up slightly.

Do games track differently?
I don't believe so. After doing my preferred setup, I found even notoriously figity titles like Job Simulator (which can be played sitting, btw) remain almost completely stable. The hands on that game are a bit "wiggier" than other titles. Regardless, dialing in your setup appears to be able to make any game's tracking acceptable.
Verdict: I don't believe so. Tracking quality appears to be almost entirely dependent on camera/user position.

Drifting to the Left
Sigh....I can not prevent this. Like others, I think this might be a software issue with the headset. It has nothing to do with the camera/positional tracking as it happens even when positional tracking/camera is off (theatre mode). It's so pronounced that if I hold still, I can almost see the image moving slowly to the left. C'mon Sony, patch this because it's pretty bad. I've tried sitting center of the left "eye" of the camera. Moving closer. Nothing prevents this behavior. Either the gyro in most people's headsets are bad, or the HMD's driver needs fixing.

Final Recommendations
Here's my recommended setup:
  • Place the camera below the TV on your stable entertainment center roughly 2 to 3 feet from the floor.
  • Sit in a non-swivel chair roughly 5 feet from the center of the camera
  • If you must stand, stand in this same spot and simply point the camera up slightly more.
Again, your milage may vary. Removing reflective surfaces around you may also help but for what it's worth I performed these tests with a corner light and a glass table behind me and I was still able to get a good level of tracking stability.

Preventing Motion Sickness
I'm somewhat convinced that my ability to overcome my initial motion sickness with PSVR is probably a combination of improving my tracking and just general experience. Before you blast through the demo disc, try to dial in your tracking with a stable game like the Tumble VR demo. Once you feel you have a rather stable setup with almost no "world wobble", move on to the other demos/games. I think you'll have a much better first experience and will be able to ease any delicate stomach into VR. At this point, I can play almost anything and come away quite comfortable. I even played the Rigs demo and Job Simulator demo tonight and had no issues.

Immensely useful post, thanks for the write-up.

Quick question for the thread -- any idea if the camera needs to be upright, or can it be flipped "upside down"? In my setup, it might actually be most beneficial to attach the camera upside down to the bottom bezel of my monitor. There's space beneath the monitor but my monitor is raised on an monitor arm and that extra height would put it pretty easily in this recommended height. I suppose I could keep it upright and find some other way to rig it to the bottom bezel of my monitor as well, though... Electric tape? :D

TheBear

I'm finding the bosses in Rez super annoying. The game is chill and fun right up to the boss and then the level 3 boss spams some bullshit and I die. And then the level 4 boss fuckn hits me from behind. What the fuck

Wehrwolf

I'm finding the bosses in Rez super annoying. The game is chill and fun right up to the boss and then the level 3 boss spams some bullshit and I die. And then the level 4 boss fuckn hits me from behind. What the fuck

The level 4 boss annoyed me until I figured out you could face backwards and attack him when he was behind you. At first I hadn't even tried because normally you can't do much to anything behind you in PSVR, but not true in this case.

I spam missiles by tapping x whenever the projectiles are getting close. Can work at times.

But without overdrive it's pretty rough. Level 3 might be my favorite though besides Area X.

TheBear

The level 4 boss annoyed me until I figured out you could face backwards and attack him when he was behind you. At first I hadn't even tried because normally you can't do much to anything behind you in PSVR, but not true in this case.

How do you turn around then? stand up and face the other way?

doby

Immensely useful post, thanks for the write-up.

Quick question for the thread -- any idea if the camera needs to be upright, or can it be flipped "upside down"? In my setup, it might actually be most beneficial to attach the camera upside down to the bottom bezel of my monitor. There's space beneath the monitor but my monitor is raised on an monitor arm and that extra height would put it pretty easily in this recommended height. I suppose I could keep it upright and find some other way to rig it to the bottom bezel of my monitor as well, though... Electric tape? :D

As far as I'm aware this would make the tracking upside down and back to front. I haven't seen any flip options in the settings, and you'd need to flip both vertically and horizontally for this to work.

zoukka

Yeah face-aiming is frustrating in Rez. Breaks down every time you need to turn to sides or back, the game wasn't designed for VR in mind after all.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Got £30 in my PS Wallet. Do I spend the whole lot on PS VR Worlds, or divvy it up between 2 or 3 games?

Could get Thumper + Batman for example, or Wayward Skies + Tumble + Super Stardust. Or even Job Simulator + Tumble or something. Really can't decide!

How do you turn around then? stand up and face the other way?

Just look behind you? Make sure non of the cables prevent that. I always make sure that I can look into every direction without stuff getting in the way before playing Rez.
Yeah face-aiming is frustrating in Rez. Breaks down every time you need to turn to sides or back, the game wasn't designed for VR in mind after all.

How does it break down? You just look behind you and shoot. I think it works very well.

Lord Phol

When i checked earlier this week there were quite a few VR headsets still available online (non-bundle). Took another look today and pretty much ever online store here in Sweden are currently out of stock. Lots of good 4-5 star user reviews as well. This thing seems to be doing well over here so far.

Ozorov

When i checked earlier this week there were quite a few VR headsets still available online (non-bundle). Took another look today and pretty much ever online store here in Sweden are currently out of stock. Lots of good 4-5 star user reviews as well. This thing seems to be doing well over here so far.

I hope the damn bundle will come here also.

Got £30 in my PS Wallet. Do I spend the whole lot on PS VR Worlds, or divvy it up between 2 or 3 games?

Could get Thumper + Batman for example, or Wayward Skies + Tumble + Super Stardust. Or even Job Simulator + Tumble or something. Really can't decide!

Whatever you do, don't spend it on PSVR worlds. You're better of with Thumper , Batman , Until Dawn, Tumble, Headmaster , Bound etc. All great for different reasons.

Paganmoon

Webhallen still has a few for in-store pickups. Would be interesting to see how many Sweden was actually allotted. I recall when I went in to pickup my pre-order from Webhallen, their webpage said 0 in stock (for new buys, not pre-orders), but when I got there, they had quite a few on the shelves ready for sale, so apparently there were more than expected shipped to them at least.

I hope the damn bundle will come here also.

I hope the single PS move controller comes. I already have one from the PS3, but only the double-pack is available for purchase afaik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom