• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Tried changing the built in headphones, which are nice, to wired Pulse Elites. Man, now that's total immersion. shooter profile on RIGS is amazing.

Ok I picked mine up,,,, set it up, put on playroom.

Grinning like a Cheshire Cat!

Had a quick go on a couple of demos but have to pick littleun up from school.

Image is more blurry than I thought it would be on some games, but the immersion is definitely there, on the platformer I thought I was gonna hit my head and ducked out the way lol.

Recommend running through advanced setup, and getting your focal length settings done.

I must have missed the advanced setup...I did see the focal length option however, I should check it out

So for those who have tried their headsets, what's the best first VR experience for someone using it for the first time? I was thinking EVE, but there is some positive talk about the playroom as well. Or is VR Worlds a good place to start? You want that first time to be special.

robotrock

Banned
So for those who have tried their headsets, what's the best first VR experience for someone using it for the first time? I was thinking EVE, but there is some positive talk about the playroom as well. Or is VR Worlds a good place to start? You want that first time to be special.

Anything but EVE.

Padinn

I've been pretty torn about getting a PSVR. I was saving for a Vive and I've upgraded my PC so that I can maximize that experience (1080, 6700k oc). Curious if anyone who has experienced both can share impressions? My sense is that Vive offers the better room VR, but PSVR has the better games.

Glix

I know, I really want a full game like that. So far my favorite experiences are:

Batman Arkham VR
Playroom platformer
Wayward Sky.

Maybe I'm blind but I haven't seen any impressions or reviews for Batman, anything you can tell me would be awesome, thanks.

DirtyLarry

Tried changing the built in headphones, which are nice, to wired Pulse Elites. Man, now that's total immersion. shooter profile on RIGS is amazing.
So this may seem like a totally obvious and dumb question but for the Pulse Elites did you just need a 3.5 cord for them? I am at work but just got the confirmation my bundle was delivered safe and sound so cannot check for myself. and I am pretty sure I already have one of those cords, but if not I can borrow one from work which is why I want to know, as I am working from home tomorrow.

Getting more and more amped reading the impressions here.
Since I just sold my Oculus I am hoping it is a worthy replacement, and I will no doubt share if I think it is not.
(Full disclosure, I tired PSVR already when Best Buy was demoing it. It was the thing that sealed the deal for me selling my Oculus, as I did believe it was worthy replacement. I am just hoping my busy TV/living room has no issues with tracking.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Shout out to Playstation Europe for getting more demos over here for launch. I definitely moaned loads so fair play to them.

kyser73

Just finished 2.5 hrs from somewhere inside my PS4!

My impressions:

Setup - connecting it all was easy. Did the IPD adjustment, camera/HMD config without any hassles. Band has a strong elasticity so was pretty snug, but still really comfortable.

I had left rotational drift for a while, then recentered myself as I was slightly offset to the camera, solved the problem.

I started with VR Worlds, and echo the poster above about the intro! I only did the Descent tonight and fuck me that shark is fucking huge...and yes, I did pull back when it attacked!

Then came DCVR. I was trepidatious about this, but had zero sickness in the three races I had. While its looks have definitely taken a big hit, still a great racer and just having that depth perception makes braking & cornering so much better. Pretty draining tho - my third race was high concentration and it was far more intensive than 2D.

Then I tried Playroom VR, with the little platform game which was awesome! Some lovely little mechanics in there such as the rope casting from the DS4. Great little game.

Bound next, and I barely played it, just sat back & took in the life size dancer standing next to me, and the amazing landscape.

Last game was Rez...omfg. More than I could possibly hope for. Simply amazing, and using head tracking to aim I achieved a level of proficiency in the game I'd never managed before.

Watched a quick bit of BvS on the cinema mode, much better than I expected. I went for the medium sized screen, as the super big one was just a pain.

Finally I watched Allumette...blew me away. I wanted to touch everything SO MUCH. Walking around the buildings, looking under them, around them & into them was great. Lovely story too.

So now I'm off on holiday for 3 days so it will be Sunday when I next get to play :/

I've had zero feelings of displacement or nausea, the tracking has been spot on for the HMD and not too bad for the controller (didn't crack out the Moves).

Overall I'm impressed so far, and am looking forward to checking out the demo disc, and if I can get the balls to do The Kitchen :)

Just finished 2.5 hrs from somewhere inside my PS4!

My impressions:

Setup - connecting it all was easy. Did the IPD adjustment, camera/HMD config without any hassles. Band has a strong elasticity so was pretty snug, but still really comfortable.

I had left rotational drift for a while, then recentered myself as I was slightly offset to the camera, solved the problem.

I started with VR Worlds, and echo the poster above about the intro! I only did the Descent tonight and fuck me that shark is fucking huge...and yes, I did pull back when it attacked!

Then came DCVR. I was trepidatious about this, but had zero sickness in the three races I had. While its looks have definitely taken a big hit, still a great racer and just having that depth perception makes braking & cornering so much better. Pretty draining tho - my third race was high concentration and it was far more intensive than 2D.

Then I tried Playroom VR, with the little platform game which was awesome! Some lovely little mechanics in there such as the rope casting from the DS4. Great little game.

Bound next, and I barely played it, just sat back & took in the life size dancer standing next to me, and the amazing landscape.

Last game was Rez...omfg. More than I could possibly hope for. Simply amazing, and using head tracking to aim I achieved a level of proficiency in the game I'd never managed before.

Watched a quick bit of BvS on the cinema mode, much better than I expected. I went for the medium sized screen, as the super big one was just a pain.

Finally I watched Allumette...blew me away. I wanted to touch everything SO MUCH. Walking around the buildings, looking under them, around them & into them was great. Lovely story too.

So now I'm off on holiday for 3 days so it will be Sunday when I next get to play :/

I've had zero feelings of displacement or nausea, the tracking has been spot on for the HMD and not too bad for the controller (didn't crack out the Moves).

Overall I'm impressed so far, and am looking forward to checking out the demo disc, and if I can get the balls to do The Kitchen :)

So good to hear!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Matush

After 4 or 5 hours in PSVR, I am impressed. Sure some games look little bit blurry and you can see aliasing, but immersion is real.

The only technical problem was DS4 tracking in Demo disc. Sometimes it was completely turned around for no reason (plus drifting). Moves worked fine so far.

Having both of them in my hands and just having fun in Job Simulator put a smile on my face.

My go to games based on demos I played are:

Rigs
Thumper
Headmaster
Job Simulator
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

Still need to try out Battlezone and few others.

I was little bit disappointed by Driveclub and Eve tbh. Also too bad Rez is not for me.

Cant wait for my friends to come by this Saturday and try it out.

robotrock

Banned
Why? It has some of the best VR effect... at least from demo's I've tried...

Why say this?

I don't think it's that great of a game, but aside from that, it's probably not the best VR experience to start off with. All the turning and rotating can be pretty sickening initially if its your first VR experience, so I'd recommend going with something tamer initially.

shmoglish

Ok, just asking for gaming recommendations.

Ordered PS VR back in June, forgot about it and now I have a device waiting for me to pick up. I am looking for a game that is not mp (only) and is big on Content (and also a "fun " game). I plan to buy rigs, rez and/or Thumper. What else is there to kill a lot of time?

Ok got a good nights rest after the midnight launch and I'm ready to set up my first foray into VR gaming. I know I'll love it. I'm just easily amused and fascinated by technology. Can't go wrong here.

So just finished about a 5 hour session and have to say I'm impressed. I had a quick blast on Driveclub for about 45mins this morning and just played it for about 2.5 hours straight, not a single bit of nausea or queasiness and really enjoyed it (once I took of the stupid assist and got used to the new perspective it quickly became like playing the original game). Thumper is amazing, will dig into that properly later on but needed a break.

Played a few of the demo's was most surprised by the smiling baby bit in Within. Totally creeped me out, going to check out more VR movies later on. Battlezone demo was fun think I might get that, didn't really feel the demo for Rigs it just felt a bit flat to me. I enjoyed the demo for Until Dawn until the tracking went mental and had to quit the game, will give that another go. Rez is so much better in VR so will probably pick that up. Gnog wouldn't start so I have no idea what that is. I freaked out when it went into the dark area of the water in VR worlds and loved the setting even though I found it unnerving. Still have the rest to play.

I'm surprised at how good cinema mode is, only played a bit of Steamworld Heist but it worked well, could read everything and only looked a bit worse than a vita but you get scale. I think I will be using that quite a bit for certain games.

Tracking pulling to the left has been my biggest problem by far. It can be damn annoying but it seems to settle in a specific spot so have just been sitting at that angle rather than directly towards the camera. I didn't do any of the proper set up and was being played in a really bright room but will go through all those things properly later on.

Yes, I've tried changing lighting conditions, no change. I did notice there's a reflection of the headset viewable a nearby window that may be contributing. I agree though, seems like a software bug.

Also found on the prior page someone else with this issue. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=220050034#post220050034
I have the same pulsing GB had they describe too, though it's not making me ill at all.
I'm definitely ad the same fringe depth as GB so most likely stressing the camera tracking really hard.

The drift wouldn't be so bad if the hold start to reset function actually re-set the head position in all games.
Try hiding that reflection from the window somehow. If that doesn't work, I suggest contacting Sony.

BadHand

The only technical problem was DS4 tracking in Demo disc. Sometimes it was completely turned around for no reason (plus drifting). Moves worked fine so far.

Just out of curiosity, what level of brightness is the light bar on the controller set to?

Hasney

So this may seem like a totally obvious and dumb question but for the Pulse Elites did you just need a 3.5 cord for them? I am at work but just got the confirmation my bundle was delivered safe and sound so cannot check for myself. and I am pretty sure I already have one of those cords, but if not I can borrow one from work which is why I want to know, as I am working from home tomorrow.

Getting more and more amped reading the impressions here.
Since I just sold my Oculus I am hoping it is a worthy replacement, and I will no doubt share if I think it is not.
(Full disclosure, I tired PSVR already when Best Buy was demoing it. It was the thing that sealed the deal for me selling my Oculus, as I did believe it was worthy replacement. I am just hoping my busy TV/living room has no issues with tracking.

Yeah, using the cord. It does work over wireless, but you lose the 3D audio processing.

So the profiles work on wired? I thought once you plugged it in, it over rode the pulse features

Nah, I used to use them as my daily driver headphones. As long as the power is on, they work. I used to fuck with the music by turning bassimpact all the way up and being on shooter.

Quick question. I am really torn between picking up a PSVR on account of several games on Vive/Oculus being exclusive. Have any titles outside Eve that were PC VR have plans to port to PS4? Not meaning to port beg, but I am honestly torn between a Vive and PSVR at the moment and want to know the tradeoffs

Edit: Just saw pool nation is coming. That's a big one alone for me.

Chris_C

Maybe I'm blind but I haven't seen any impressions or reviews for Batman, anything you can tell me would be awesome, thanks.

It's essentially a series of short scenes that sees you solving a murder. Don't expect gameplay anything like the action combat or traversal of the typical Arkham games though. I think plays to VR's strengths, and sees you exploring small areas for clues (gameplay is similar to the detective segments of the Arkham games). It's just kinda fun to pick things up, throw batarangs, get reaaaaally close into characters and the whole package is very polished and well put together. I'd gladly play more of these.

EVE would be a mistake for a first timer. Generally you want something with a stationary camera, like most of the Playroom minigames, or Tumble and probably Wayward Sky.

EVE incorporates a lot of lateral motion and barrel rolls, which could very well make someone not used to VR sick very quickly. Same with games like Driveclub and RIGS.

Combination of not a lot of sleep, no breakfast and RIGS almost just made me sick.

I'm in bed as I type this... not doing so hot.

Battlezone and Thumper didn't bother me at all.

Z3M0G

I don't think it's that great of a game, but aside from that, it's probably not the best VR experience to start off with. All the turning and rotating can be pretty sickening initially if its your first VR experience, so I'd recommend going with something tamer initially.

Fair enough... yesterday I tried VR for the first time ever, and the very first thing I started doing was crazy barrel rolls in EVE... and it was fantastic. I feel so sorry for anyone who can't handle that...

Gemeanie

Unfortunately it seems my body completely disagreed with Driveclub VR. First few seconds and I had to take off the headset.

Had no problem in Thumper at all

muteki

I haven't really found a good place to stash mine yet. Needs to not be accessible for a 2 year old.

I do wish it came with some kind of cover for the lenses that you could use while storing it. Seems crazy to just have them hanging out all the time.

ckohler

The last ten hours have been a pretty crazy ride and a mixed bag.

Initial Thoughts:

• The screen is pretty damn clear. Even clearer than I remember it being at my Best Buy test drive over a month ago. People talk about there being a mild "screen door" effect but I'll be damned if I can notice it. When I hear that term, I imagine putting my nose against a real screen door and each square being about a millimeter in size. If there is any screen door with PSVR it's like 1/50th of a millimeter or something... a complete non-issue.
  • The headset is comfortable and easy to adjust. Pro tip: To focus the screen you move the headset up and down ever so slightly. Focus has nothing to do with extending or retracting the scope. It's about pulling the headband down or up on the back of your head. Just the slightest amount of move can dial in the focus. It's not hard to do.
  • It was hot in my apartment last night and my glasses fogged up immediately. This happened two more times until my AC finally cooled the room down. Please note: this was NOT an issue with the headset design. My forehead was drenching with sweat. Thankfully the headband cushions are rubber and not actual fabric so I just wiped them off. Thirty minutes to an hour later my AC had cooled the room down and the fogging went away completely. Mark that up as user error.
  • I have small, thin glasses and they fit just fine. No pressure or anything. You do have to learn how to take the headset off without taking your glasses with it but it's simple and I can do it every time now.
  • Cinematic Mode tracks VER& well despite not even using the camera at all. In fact, I'm kinda perplexed by this as tracking was an issue last night (I'll go into that in a moment) and yet the non-camera tracked cinema mode was rock solid, maybe even a bit more than games.

Tracking

• Okay, let's get this out of the way: Yes, my setup had poor tracking... at least initially. Like really, really poor. I got bad swimming on the headset even in Battlezone (which hadn't happened at Best Buy). In Tumble VR, my DS4 was buzzing red constantly as if was out of range and wiggling wildly even when I pointed the ligh bar directly at the camera. The controller was also swimming much, much worse than the headset. I could definitely tell that the headset tracking was better than the DS4 but, man, the DS4 was almost unusable (and was completely useable in Tumble VR). The mild swimming of the headset just seemed like a minor annoyance and frustration. I wasn't feeling sick but at the same time, I could tell it wasn't right.
  • Holding down the Options button to recenter things doesn't always work. It does sometimes but not always which was frustrating
  • During this period of poor tracking, the center of the screen kept drifting to my left. At one point I had to face about 45 degrees left to be looking forward.

Here is what my initial camera setup looked like:

mwrngZi.png

I figured putting the camera on top of the TV would give it the widest available view that was unobstructed. In hindsight, it was probably too high up in the air and made tracking the DS4 neigh impossible and kept the headset from being tracked properly. It was also hard to get my face to appear in the square well in this configuration. We actually tried moving the camera down, turning off lights, moving forward and back and not much seemed to make a difference so we put it back atop the TV.

The next two hours...

So, regardless of the swimming and controller problems, I just kept playing for the next two hours in this configuration with my friend helping me. Even with the issues, this stuff was compelling and I tried a bunch of demos. Things like Thumper, Battlezone, DriveClub all were playable even with the mild drift. Thumper in particular was the title that wanted to veer left. For Job Simulator, it wants you to stand and since my setup was made for sitting this only made the tracking worse. This was like being on a boat at rough sea... which sucked because Job Simulator has probably the most compelling sense of "presence" of any demo. Like, it totally fools you. But with the whole world rocking around and my moves flickering about, it was both exciting and frustrating.

After the end of the two hours, I could tell I was feeling a bit "off". Not like pukey but more "fatigued". Maybe a tiny, tiny twinge in my stomach. The fact that I didn't feel worse with this initial configuration is surprising in hindsight.

A fix to the tracking?

After my friend left, I was about to go to bed (~2 a.m.) but I still was energized and wanted to see if there was something more I could do to fix the tracking or if this was just how it was going to perform. I saw in this thread that there was a Advanced Calibration in the PS4's Device settings and tried this. Also, I moved the camera down to below my TV where it closer to eye level, sat a good foot or two closer and both of these allowed my face to be more in the calibration square.

This was my new configuration:

mYUlq01.png

I turned on the headset and things were MUCH better!

First of all, the swimming on the headset had almost completely gone away. To be fair, I don't want to say it was perfect but I played some Battlezone and it was WAY better and more like my previous Best Buy demo experience. I booted up Tumble VR and I could actually play it! The DS4, while still a slight bit floaty, was dramatically more precise and stable and wasn't stuck in a state of constant "out of bounds" like before. I was able to get Gold medals on all four demo puzzles. The Move controllers were even more precise.

I played the little of that stop-motion movie on the demo disc and was able to get very close to the characters without it being jittery. Overall, everything was working MUCH better. I'd probably say tracking had gone from a 70% to 90% accuracy. The only outlier was still Job Simulator. It STILL has issues with the headset swimming and the world appearing to rock around if at sea and I'm not sure why.

At this point I was feeling pretty tired, it was 4:00 a.m. and I needed to stop. I could feel just a tiny bit of unease in my stomach and went to sleep.

Games

• PlayRoom VR is amazing and maybe the killer app of PSVR. Not only does it look fantastic (by far the smoothest edges in any of the games) but it's downright fun and an impressive example of the tech in every way.
  • Battlezone is fun and immersive (more so after I improved my tracking situation). I like the idea and it's comfortable.
  • Thumper is pretty awesome both in gameplay, sound and visuals but it's honestly probably too difficult a game for me.
  • Job Simulator is hilarious and fun but I'm still experiencing major problems with tracking on that one so I'm kinda let down
  • Driveclub didn't make me nauseous and had a real good feeling of depth but it looked lower resolution than other games. Cars in the distance appeared kinda PS2-PS3ish in how low res they were. Not a deal breaker but surprising. I can imagine PS4 Pro fixing it.
  • Tumble VR was great, at least after I got improved tracking. It's a simple concept that works well in VR. I want to own this one.
  • Rez Infinite was awesome looking and sounding. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the gameplay but it was clearly a polished title. I'm actually surprised it did't induce any kind of motion sickness with how much and how fast you move around. Instead it felt completely comfortable. I only played this after my calibration improvements, btw.

This morning

As I was waking up this morning, I could still feel that uneasiness in my stomach. When I stood up, I actually felt the need to cough and wanted to puke a little but it wasn't enough for anything to happen and passed after a few minutes. I was surprised because that was four hours ago and I figured I would have slept it off. At this point, I'm feeling much better but I can't tell if that wake up sickness feeling was due to hours of bad initial calibration or maybe I am more sensitive than I figured.

Final Thoughts and Tips

• I'm looking forward to trying more tonight after work to see if my headset is still working as good as it did when I stopped last night or if it goes back to the initial wonkiness
  • Being roughly five feet from the camera seems to be important. I need to try a standing configuration.
  • Having the camera high up probably makes it worse, not better.
  • Sitting in total darkness has no effect on accuracy.
  • Run through the detailed calibration stuff where you have to hold the headset in front of the camera so it "learns" what the tracking lights look like. That might have made the biggest difference even though I'm not 100% certain.

Lastly, I'll mention that I'm using the new round PlayStation camera not that I'm certain that makes any difference. I'm looking forward hearing how my friend's situation goes when he gets his headset this afternoon.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Thumper was a total surprise. It works amazingly well on the PSVR.

toneroni

Nice reading everyone's impressions. On the fence myself but most likely will wait for a bit.

I tried out the RE demo at NYCC and thought the resolution was a bit lacking.
I also have been burned so many times on Sony tech (and other companies as well) but i'm still intrigued and will keep an eye on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom