• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma

Banned
I love how PSVR's launch is coming with games in every price tier.

Tumble VR for $10
Thumper/Batman/Until Dawn for $20
Job Simulator/Rez for $30
DriveClub VR for $40
RIGS for $50

Is this confirmed? There isn't a price up on PSN at the moment.

Abdiel

There's several reviews for RIGS up now. 8, 8, 8.5 and a 7. No serious concerns on motion sickness. Everyone said it's really really solid.

Destructoid was one of them.

There's several reviews for RIGS up now. 8, 8, 8.5 and a 7. No serious concerns on motion sickness. Everyone said it's really really solid.

Destructoid was one of them.

Seems like we have the second launch title killer app (1st is Thumper with 81 meta). Now for Rez reviews

Tagyhag

Relieved to see I haven't been charged yet for EVE: Valkyrie, I got cold feet and decided to do the sensible thing and cancel the pre-order so I can try the demo first, £55 is too much for me to gamble on.

Driveclub VR has started downloading, Amazon says dispatching soon despite it being marked for dispatch 11 October :(

You did the right thing, I think people are going to be surprised at how shallow it is.

Seems like we have the second launch title killer app (1st is Thumper with 81 meta). Now for Rez reviews

REZ reviews? Here you go:

Destructoid 9.5
I don't know how this series keeps holding on, but I'm glad it does. Initially debuting as a Sega exclusive, it jumped ship to Microsoft, and now, Sony. I don't really care who gets it next, I just want more Rez.

Metro GameCentral 9
Timeless gameplay, visuals and music come together in one of the best shoot ‘em-ups of all time; with the new level and VR options only adding to the immersion.

Gamespot 9
Despite it's short campaign--you can complete everything in a little more than an hour, if you're skilled--Rez Infinite is the game to buy a PSVR for. It's hypnotic and enveloping. And it's transformative, both within itself and in the wider scheme of the experiences made possible by VR. You don't want to sleep on Rez Infinite, because with the addition of more polished visual flair and the dreamy Area X, we have a new classic for the new generation on our hands.

SeanR1221

Amazon has them from 25-30 each. Bulk or standard packaging.

I saw that but figured they were old ones from the PS3 (which I thought I read might have battery issues now)?

Then there's a two pack for 100.00 which seems wrong.

The pics above show a white package with two. I wonder how much that is 🤔

I have a camera, no interest in VR worlds. I think I'm better off with the standard pack.

JohngPR

Anyone have a recommendation on what's the first thing I should try? I'll have Batman VR, Rez Infinite, and Eve Valyrie...and hopefully RIGS if they finally decide to put it up on PSN. :p

I might put in the demo disc and start there, but I'm not entirely sure what to do first. I've never tried anything in VR so I'm hoping to ease into it. Batman VR seems like a decent start.

deadfolk

I'm still wondering how I'm going to integrate this with my Home Theatre Set-up. I have a HDMI receiver and non of the FAQ's tackle people with this set-up. My main concern is the receiver introducing lag, but I have no idea how this will turn out. Nor how I would go to best wire this thing up.

Put the receiver between the processing unit and the tv. Any lag added will only affect the social screen on the tv.

Smidget

Think I'm going to do:

Physical (20% off at BB or Amazon):
VR Worlds (coming with bundle)
RIGS
Batman
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

Digital:
EVE (hopped price mistake)
Job Simulator
Thumper or Rez (still confused on this one!)
Tumble VR

Still want Battlezone and Superhypercube, but both seem a little pricey.

I have finally got around to creating a US account and I'm downloading the US demo disk. Feels good man.

Time to get ready for work. I'm working a back shift today. Going to pick up some beers on the way home and I've got tomorrow off. I'm all set.

Hell yeah, man! I'm the closing manager tonight for my store, so once I lock up, I'm grabbing some snack food and drinks for tomorrow as it is my day off, too. Enjoy, bro!

Lord Phol

I'm excited for this, but until I know how severe the tracking issue is and how PS4 Pro (really don't want to buy one) will be used for VR I'm going to hold off. It's also a little bit too pricey for my wallet atm. I do hope this does well though, there's a lot of potential in this tech.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Holy shit. Sterling gave Rigs an 8.5?!

http://www.thejimquisition.com/rigs-mechanized-combat-league-review/

Don't know why that surprises me so much lol. He didn't seem to be too high on any of the games aside from Until Dawn.

What I find most interesting about RIGS is how, despite playing it for lengthy sessions at a time, it didn’t make me feel physically sick. To date, every other VR game I’ve played using traditional controls has caused a significant degree of internal unpleasantness, but RIGS is one of the most accommodating virtual reality experiences I’ve had overall.

Whatever it is Guerrilla’s doing needs to be copied by any other game that utilizes regular analog movement because the difference is phenomenal.

Good news there.

Well, Sammy from Push Square had problems with nausea... Seems like this is very much a YMMV type of situation.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/rigs_mechanized_combat_league

Carl

I think one thing we have learned is that VR reviews will be even more split. Seems terribly dependent on the person and what makes them sick

Have received mine earlier this morning and tried a bunch of demos out. It works very well in seated configuration, I didn't notice major tracking issues that would detract from the experience. Standing up for Job Simulator did introduce problems because of the positioning of my camera. I think I was obstructing the headsets sensors with my arms at points and then shit just started swimming. That game may need a better calibration tool in the beginning to make sure that can't happen.

As far as games go instant purchases for me are going to be Rez and Thumper. Thumper especially is just mindblowing in VR. Rez works great too and is nuts.
Rigs works well, although during that I did feel my face go warm, maybe playing that for longer messes you up. It seems like a fun game, but maybe not worth $60 depending on the content.
Tumble VR is exactly what you expect and works very well with VR and the moves.

On topic of controller tracking: I did notice that the tracking of the Moves and the controller sometimes is a little off axis. In those cases it helped to briefly obstruct the light, which would recalibrate it or whatever.

I did have an issue with fogging in the lenses, which was because the rubber things that are supposed to seperate the insides of the headset from your nose and stuff lined up wrong and needed to manually correct that when I put it on. After that it was no problem.

Definitely did not have an issue with the aliasing or low resolution. If you really focussed on parts in Rigs you could see that it runs fairly low-res, but in action you don't pick up on that ever. You just get a sense of the scale of the environments and also that sense that you're there.

Looking at the list of demos I noticed that I still have some big games to try out. Will do that later today.

Will0827

Does the headset itself have some kind of USB or expansion port, would be cool if they could slap on something like a leap motion on the front.

Just woke up to see my Amazon US preorder finally got charged to my card!! Hopefully it starts shipping soon and I still have a chance of getting it tomorrow.

I am going to let you know what a Playstation guy said to me when I asked him about purchasing the PS4 pro.

I asked :-

1. Why should I upgrade and would there be a huge jump.- his reply was that in the first years of Pro, no there wont be huge jump and is only really noticeable if you have HDR 4k!
He told me that he was not going to buy pro and said that 2 main things that Sony are pushing and concentrating now is present PS4 and PSVR! He told me that is where it is with Sony.

It was a very interesting conversation and he seemed very honest and down to earth.

I went to EGX 2016.

I am holding out to see what is happening with Psvr as I have been burnt many times by Sony.

I'm taking this review with a grain of salt.

After the original DC reviews I'm not even bothering reading any of the VR ones. Any simulation sickness is going to be subject to individuals sensitivities. I know I'm cool with racing games but will still be easing myself in by sticking to the cruise mode and generally flatter tracks such as Tamil Nadu, Lake Shoji and SKN0 until I know I'm comfortable.

nikos

Woke up to both of my units preparing for shipment by Amazon!

I still may swing by the midnight launch at Sony Square NYC to be part of the hype. Triple dip, why not? Have some friends without a preorder who want them.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Few Metacritics:

89 - Rez Infinite
79 - RIGS
74 - Battlezone
69 - Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
72 - Driveclub VR
56 - PlayStation VR Worlds
72 - Batman VR
81 - Thumper
69 - Tumble VR

TBD - 100ft Robot Golf
TBD - Wayward Sky
TBD - Super Stardust VR
TBD - Harmonix Music VR
TBD - Hustle Kings VR
TBD - Playroom VR
TBD - Here They Lie

I doubt they would invest too much more time in it, but I wonder if a PS4 Pro update to DriveClub VR could help address some of the visual issues.

shandy706

DavidDesu

Some pretty good scores there!

That vomit inducing Driveclub VR review though.. jesus. When I demoed it I never felt any motion sickness at all funnily enough. Guess some game types just really won't work well with certain people. I'm curious about the passenger mode in Driveclub, just sit in the car while an AI drives. I can get motion sick in a car in real life occasionally if I'm not in control, so that will be interesting to experience in VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom