• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few Metacritics:

89 - Rez Infinite
79 - RIGS
74 - Battlezone
69 - Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
72 - Driveclub VR
56 - PlayStation VR Worlds
72 - Batman VR
81 - Thumper
69 - Tumble VR

TBD - 100ft Robot Golf
TBD - Wayward Sky
TBD - Super Stardust VR
TBD - Harmonix Music VR
TBD - Hustle Kings VR
TBD - Playroom VR

Forgot Here They Lie, just one more review to get a metacritic score.

DirtyLarry

Just got the email from my Credit Card company $534.99 was charged to my account by Amazon, so I know what this means.
I guess I am in.
Just sold my Oculus as well.
Damn, not sure I want this, especially with the reviews of the games coming in.

D23

Just got the email from my Credit Card company $534.99 was charged to my account by Amazon, so I know what this means.
I guess I am in.

The reviews have been great though? Except 1 or 2 titles

I guess I am in.

Ignore the negative reviews. If they are throwing up, then the reviewer is more than likely prone to motion sickness. Everyone is different with VR.

kyser73

For a launch line il the scores are pretty good. The marquee titles have done well generally - especially RIGS - and I reckon a brace of mid-high 70s with peaks in the 80s is a pretty good start.

DirtyLarry

The reviews have been great though? Except 1 or 2 titles
Admittedly I only looked at the Metacritic scores a few posts above mine for an overall general look at things and I have not read every review out there, so that is/was the metric I am using for my comment. So I am not seeing all great myself even with keeping in mind VR tends to skew wildly. Good. Decent. That is what I see. Not great.
And the title that is scoring the highest I personally have zero interest in. I just was not that into Rez when I played it on the 360 as Rez HD years back.

I got rid of my Oculus (among other reasons) as I only considered the games to be good to decent with 1 or 2 defined as great.

I just fear a repeat here and perhaps I am already biased towards that happening. Make no mistake about it, I am very skeptical as if I made the right decision. I hope I did. I really do, as I obviously support the technology if I just sold my Oculus and am taking a risk on this. I do believe when it works it is fantastic. But "when it works" is almost entirely dictated by do the games make clever use of the technology or do they shoehorn it in.

For a launch line il the scores are pretty good. The marquee titles have done well generally - especially RIGS - and I reckon a brace of mid-high 70s with peaks in the 80s is a pretty good start.

Yep. Compared some console launches, these games are doing decently well for launch titles. Yeah, they aren't 'great', but this is only the start. As more companies gain experience with VR games, it will get better.

nikos

When you stream VR via PS4, is the camera utilized as a stream cam or can it not multitask between that and tracking the headset?

Chorazin

Got charged by Amazon, pre-ordered REZ, and now it's just a matter of time till we see if this thing actually works!

What's up with Super Stardust Ultra VR? I see there's a VR add-on for SSU, but you can't buy it and it's not free.

Got charged by Amazon, pre-ordered REZ, and now it's just a matter of time till we see if this thing actually works!

What's up with Super Stardust Ultra VR? I see there's a VR add-on for SSU, but you can't buy it and it's not free.

Presumably releasing tonight or tomorrow, along with the other launch day titles that don't currently have prices.

PBY

Banned
Interested in Rigs and Rez, both look cool. Still feel very comfortable with my cancelled preorder though, I'll probably wait til next holiday to jump in.

Really curious to hear impressions.

Seems like the must-haves are

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Rigs
Rez Infinite

anything else blowing it outof the water?

Thumper is a must!

http://uploadvr.com/thumper-review-psvr/

thumper-gif-gameplay.gif

Dommel

Picking mine up in about one hour, can't wait!

Getting RIGS, Rez and Thumper. I can get Driveclub VR for only 20 thanks to the season pass but I'll try the demo first, reviews have not been kind so far.

DirtyLarry

Just pre-ordered
Until Dawn
Super Robot Golf
Super Stardust HD
Demo Disk

Was close to getting Thumper and Supercube whatever it is called, but figured the demo disk exists for a reason.

EDIT - I think I have been swayed towards Thumper. Will preorder it once I am done posting. Already have my VR folder all set up as well.

I have to say the Sony Rewards Visa card was one of the better decisions I have made with my finances. All my PSN purchases are made via the Reward Points I have accumulated with it. Really has worked out fantastic.

That makes me feel like I'll be sick experiencing it in VR

Check it out on the demo disk. People have said it is a surprisingly stable VR game to play because you're focusing on one point (the track) the whole time. Not to mention that this gif is from one of the later levels.

You guys think it's ok to just let the headset sit in the open or do you need something to make sure dust doesn't accumulate in there.
That makes me feel like I'll be sick experiencing it in VR

Nah, man. The direction changes are so abrupt you don't get time to get sick or anything. Game is amazing in VR. Must-buy if you own a PSVR imo.

Mine arrived this morning. Because the digital games only unlock at midnight I've only played the demo disc but I'm gonna get rigs and battle zone from the demo disc. Got driveclub arkham and rush of blood waiting to unlock.

So far the graphics dip takes you by surprise but then the world wraps around you and you forget that especially with headphones on.

Wallach

You guys think it's ok to just let the headset sit in the open or do you need something to make sure dust doesn't accumulate in there.

As I mentioned on the first page, never let sunlight strike your lenses. Ever. It can permanently ruin your displays in a handful of minutes in some cases. You don't necessarily need to buy something but you do need a consistent place to put your PSVR away where sunlight will never directly hit the lenses.

goonergaz

Nah, man. The direction changes are so abrupt you don't get time to get sick or anything. Game is amazing in VR. Must-buy if you own a PSVR imo.

Problem for me is Thumper or Rez...and I'm sorry but Rez is more appealing, can;t justify buying both full price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom