• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Cant say Iagree with that.

I have the camera on top of my TV permanently and rarely experience tracking issues. Just tilt it down slightly for seated games, tilt it up a bit for standing.

I need to constantly move my camera depending on what I'm playing. Standing, it's on top. Sitting, I need to put it on the coffee table about 4 feet in front of me.

The reason being, the further the camera is (it's about 6 feet from me if I'm sitting on the couch when it is on the TV) I get that really annoying "forward and back" jitter/judder on the headset. Most sitting games have you very close to geometry (Resident Evil 7, etc), and it makes the forward/back judder extremely annoying. It's so bad I don't understand how people can keep the camera on top of their TVs when playing games where you are really close to the walls/furniture/etc. Especially sneaking games where you are stationary hiding behind like a chair and the whole time the chair is constantly juddering forward and back an inch.

For those who might be struggling at being accurate with the throwing mechanic in Superhot it isn't a flick motion its a push motion.

It takes a bit of practice but I found just doing a slow, smooth throwing motion (like you are in slow motion) works well, but trying to throw fast is much more difficult.

It's harder to pull off the Mind Blown move more than anything else really.

FunkMiller

Playing Superhot almost feels like a workout. With all the ducking and weaving you have to do, especially slowly, I'm giving my core muscles a good exercise. I have a bad back, so I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing!

Is anyone else with a Pro still getting audio drops? I only seem to get them with games that have a lot going on on the screen, like Archangel. Sometimes it drops for a moment sometimes for a minute or more. It's very frustrating. I wonder if I should contact Sony and try to get a replacement headset. The problem is I really think it's the Pro's fault, because this never happened with the OG PS4.

Maligna

Banned
Is anyone else with a Pro still getting audio drops? I only seem to get them with games that have a lot going on on the screen, like Archangel. Sometimes it drops for a moment sometimes for a minute or more. It's very frustrating. I wonder if I should contact Sony and try to get a replacement headset. The problem is I really think it's the Pro's fault, because this never happened with the OG PS4.

I get audio and video drop outs all the time. Annoying as hell. Sometimes it only affects the TV and not the headset.

I get audio and video drop outs all the time. Annoying as hell. Sometimes it only affects the TV and not the headset.
I don't really get video drops any more since changing HDCP to 1.4 in safe mode and turning it off in settings, but the audio is still iffy and sometimes I get weird red lines in my vision that disappear quickly.

ISee

How can I reposition my camera calibration in Superhot VR? The game placed the disc I need to use inside of my TV, which is obviously a bit of a problem.

MattAces

Infinite Minigolf is freaking 30fps in both docked and undocked switch.
A golf game. Now it's getting more and more difficult for me to choose PSVR or Switch.

Here's a sneaky one.

End Space – Launch Announcement Trailer | PS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgiCU4Xikc
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/19/end-space-launches-september-19th-for-ps-vr/

ThoroughAnguishedIsabellineshrike-size_restricted.gif

Singleplayer focused sounds good, looks pretty hot too, now please don't be a mobile game...well it is ;(
Gonna wait for some reviews on this one, but we're getting closer to dat "COLONY WARS VR" announcement!!1

MattAces

Singleplayer focused sounds good, looks pretty hot too, now please don't be a mobile game...well it is ;(
Gonna wait for some reviews on this one, but we're getting closer to dat "COLONY WARS VR" announcement!!1

Asked the developers what's the differences, still waiting for a reply. Gear VR version is $7.99 and we are paying more than double here.

It looks very different from the Gear VR game though.

Just checked both trailers and yeah PSVR looks better in every way. Anybody played the GearVR version? I love space shooters, but if it's just flying around pew pewing our way through faceless hordes and with no meaty story to back it all up it can become stale very fast.

Asked the developers what's the differences, still waiting for a reply. Gear VR version is $7.99 and we are paying more than double here.

Cool, hope they'll comment on that,

MattAces

Anyway going back to the image. What is the rating system in US? If it's GameStop, I would assume it will be US store. Isn't PEGI 18 a UK thing?

CackleAndHide

Neo Member
EU/UK people who are looking for an aim bundle. I had one on back order from shop to and they've dispatched it today! So looks like we are getting some in stock in the next few weeks.

Excited to try it out! Just in time for the PSVR store sale as well.

Infinite Minigolf is freaking 30fps in both docked and undocked switch.
A golf game. Now it's getting more and more difficult for me to choose PSVR or Switch.

Under embargo but... You want it in virtual reality. I was expecting the PlayStation VR support to be throwaway but I've been impressed.

MattAces

Under embargo but... You want it in virtual reality. I was expecting the PlayStation VR support to be throwaway but I've been impressed.

Damn it Sammy. Alright I always trust you on everything. Going for the PSVR version for sure. Thanks a lot, can't wait for the review/video.

There are Gamestop stores in EU, even English speaking ones like in Ireland.

Edit: source - http://www.gamestop.eu/

Glad to see GameStop is in EU, really hope it's real.

panda-zebra

Just the 6 PSVR games purchased today then... at last Job Simulator on sale so I can delete the demo disc and let my son at the whole thing, phew!

So many good games i feel like move controllers are a must but i dont wanna buy them if there are comig out a new better version with sticks....

So many good games i feel like move controllers are a must but i dont wanna buy them if there are comig out a new better version with sticks....
Anything can happen but I find it unlikely. Developers already have 3 possible controllers to take into account (DS4, Move, Aim) and many gamers who bought Moves would feel burned. I am betting the revision comes with PS5/PSVR2.

Superhot is so good. Damn.
Accidentally hit my wall in rl while taking a swing. I need even more space for this game or I'll end up with scratches all over my fingers.

Planet

Damn you Sammy! I was already on the fence with Infinite Minigolf, you made me pre-order... ;)

Hope it's both a passable couch party game and something nice in VR. Not expecting the greatest experience ever but please don't be stale. XD

MattAces

Damn you Sammy! I was already on the fence with Infinite Minigolf, you made me pre-order... ;)

Hope it's both a passable couch party game and something nice in VR. Not expecting the greatest experience ever but please don't be stale. XD

Always wanted to get a minigolf game from one of the early access Steam games and this drops in the perfect timing plus VR support, online and cross platform stage sharing. It's like everything I could've asked for a golf game.

MattAces

Just checked both trailers and yeah PSVR looks better in every way. Anybody played the GearVR version? I love space shooters, but if it's just flying around pew pewing our way through faceless hordes and with no meaty story to back it all up it can become stale very fast.

Cool, hope they'll comment on that,

Just got a respond from them.
More levels, and completely re-done HD graphics to support the better hardware plus enhancements for PS Pro.
Also it will support HOTAS
Looks really good, never had the chance to try Battlefront VR, so I might get this since it's SP focused.
ezgif-1-3385cba020.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Seems like I'm having a huge PSVR binge this month with Statik, Superhot, Psychonauts (sale pickup) and soon Dino Frontier.

Most exciting time for the system since launch honestly. Feels like a new announcement every day.

Codiox

I bought 5 games today:

Super Hot
Windlands
Dick wilde
Tumble VR
korix

Just played super hot and windlands...

superhot is totally fucking awesome, this is real gameplay stuff. You feel like a fucking badass! Also it can be really tricky sometimes,but so much fun. There are even
Ninja stars
in it!!

Also:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT WINDLANDS??? Played it the first time today and started right off with the move controller... The feeling you get when you jump high speed and swinging from on tree to another, I couldn't get the smile of my face!! What an awesome feeling! I don't know why I waited so long for this game to buy it.

Sorry guys but I have a little VR revival going on here lol. I thought I saw everything with Re7 and Farpoint, but oh boy. The VR train is in full force and will not stop!

3 more games to go!

Edit: I also got some 360 tracking right know because I put the camera on a shelf that sits about 2m above the ground looking slightly down to me. This improved my tracking big time. In superhot I can do full 360 motions without losing tracking.

Superhot is so good. Damn.
Accidentally hit my wall in rl while taking a swing. I need even more space for this game or I'll end up with scratches all over my fingers.

Its easily the game that pushes the limits of PSVR's tracking. It's super fun and surprising how I got a slight sweat on (I exercise regularly) I think i'm going to try and do all the challenges. I kept getting a outside of play area warning and was super miffed that camera was being shit pulled the headset up and turned out I was being shit by facing away from the camera, no idea how that happened.

Kyolux

I bought 5 games today:

Super Hot
Windlands
Dick wilde
Tumble VR
korix

Just played super hot and windlands...

superhot is totally fucking awesome, this is real gameplay stuff. You feel like a fucking badass! Also it can be really tricky sometimes,but so much fun. There are even
Ninja stars
in it!!

Also:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT WINDLANDS??? Played it the first time today and started right off with the move controller... The feeling you get when you jump high speed and swinging from on tree to another, I couldn't get the smile of my face!! What an awesome feeling! I don't know why I waited so long for this game to buy it.

Sorry guys but I have a little VR revival going on here lol. I thought I saw everything with Re7 and Farpoint, but oh boy. The VR train is in full force and will not stop!

3 more games to go!

Edit: I also got some 360 tracking right know because I put the camera on a shelf that sits about 2m above the ground looking slightly down to me. This improved my tracking big time. In superhot I can do full 360 motions without losing tracking.

Pictures for your 360 setup?

Maligna

Banned
Started playing Skyrim again last night just because I've been daydreaming about playing it in VR... Man, I hope it's as cool as it is in my mind.

Completely random question, but which do you think has the higher graphical fidelity: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

I know it's weird to compare the two, but I was just thinking about it.

MattAces

Completely random question, but which do you think has the higher graphical fidelity: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

I know it's weird to compare the two, but I was just thinking about it.
I would say psvr. It is still drawing power from PS4, a More powerful device. The only reason VR graphic fidelity seems lower is because of the lens magnifying the screen.
But it's the toughest thing to compare when VR is pushing framerate. Infinite Minigolf might be the first game that can be used as a comparison, so let's wait for that.

I would say psvr. It is still drawing power from PS4, a much more power device. The only reason VR graphic fidelity seems lower is because of the lens magnifying the screen.

Is this why? Or is it that every game has to run at 120FPS or 60 in each eye, so the graphics take a hit?

MattAces

Is this why? Or is it that every game has to run at 120FPS or 60 in each eye, so the graphics take a hit?
Yea, that's definitely part of it. But if it's just a pure graphical comparison in terms of assets, resolution, draw distance, LOD and vegetation, look at something like EVE Valkyrie, Farpoint or RE7. They are pretty impressive.

I think the best way to tell might be skyrim vr vs skyrim switch.

Yea, that's definitely part of it. But if it's just a pure graphical comparison in terms of assets, resolution, draw distance, LOD and vegetation, look at something like EVE Valkyrie, Farpoint or RE7. They are pretty impressive.

I think the best way to gel might be skyrim vr vs skyrim switch.

Yeah. I'm actually buying both the Switch and VR version just to compare them lol

RE7 looks great most of the time, but I thought the opening when you're outside in broad daylight looked...not so great lol

MattAces

Yeah. I'm actually buying both the Switch and VR version just to compare them lol

RE7 looks great most of the time, but I thought the opening when you're outside in broad daylight looked...not so great lol

Here's a quick random ass screenshot, they are of course taken from different places, but it looks similar enough to compare them.
Switch is 30fps (maybe lower, we may not know)
While PSVR is most likely a 60fps locked reprojected to higher. No idea if this is Pro or standard.

Pretty obvious which version is which because of that master sword. I'll try to compare the water next. Also comparison from youtube and jpg.
cC4wJwv.jpg

PSVR left Switch right
Vsq2A9d.png

I don't think that multi platform remastered games give a good comparison.

it's obvious that psvr has better graphics but with worse resolution feeling.

k1t4j

Neogaf VR gods tell me:

Batman, Pixel Gears, Brookhaven, VR invaders

are all in my cart. Are they worth it with this summer promotion?

MattAces

Neogaf VR gods tell me:

Batman, Pixel Gears, Brookhaven, VR invaders

are all in my cart. Are they worth it with this summer promotion?

Pixel Gears not really, extremely limited in content, but the game is also very cheap.
VR Invaders is really cool but doesn't have vibration.
Brookhaven is pretty good, but it is definitely the "wave 1 PSVR graphic"

I would add Statik, brilliant puzzle game
Dick Wilde, a more polished wave shooting game compared to VR Invader/Brookhaven with Aim support and great music/sound
Wayward Sky, charming game, easy but cool game.

k1t4j

Pixel Gears not really, extremely limited in content, but the game is also very cheap.
VR Invaders is really cool but doesn't have vibration.
Brookhaven is pretty good, but it is definitely the "wave 1 PSVR graphic"

I would add Statik, brilliant puzzle game
Dick Wilde, a more polished wave shooting game compared to VR Invader/Brookhaven with Aim support and great music/sound
Wayward Sky, charming game, easy but cool game.

batman is an amazing experience.

Batman is fantastic! Can be beaten in about an hour or 2, but it is worth the price.

Thanks guys!! will get batman for sure

Planet

Pixel Gear at least has one of these rare asynchronous multiplayer modes, where the VR player is pitted against up to three players on TV using DualShock4. At least in theory, somehow we never managed to get more than two DualShock4 (and one Move for the VR player) recognized. Still got some fun out of it. Single player mode is rather bland though.

Top Bottom