• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

ckohler

How is this game overall? Saw it on the store and thought it looked interesting...

It's not super polished but overall one of the bester VR experiences, especially co-op.

For example, the way the other player's character moves is very jerky and goofy looking (compared to say Farpoint) and I sometimes have trouble picking things up. However, that's about it when it comes to complaints.

The game's tracking is very good, the environments are large and varying, the story is kinda humorous, and it's frankly just a lot of fun.

Power off the headset for a few seconds, then power it back on keeping your head still and pointing in the right direction: 9 times out of 10 this fixes those sort of issues.

Oh I didn't think of switching the headset itself on/off during a game. It won't boot you out?
Thanks, that sounds like it should fix it indeed unless the game would be really stubborn.

I managed to free up a bit more space for Job Simulator, Surgeon Simulator and Superhot. Now I almost never bump into things irl

The SUPERHOT patch is very welcome. Graphics are certainly higher res on Pro than they were before, although not the cleanest edges I've seen on PSVR. I guess the high contrasting colours don't help.

Could be just me, but the throwing mechanic seems greatly improved, although there's nothing in the notes to suggest they've worked on that.

MattAces

Taking a rest after almost 2 hours of Superhot VR, sweating for the second time since Dick Wilde. My god now I'm moving carefully and scrolling my browser thinking there's a bullet flying to my face. I kept seeing a lot of red line bullets flying now.

The Superhot patch seems to have made the game more stable and I've had no spawning behind walls so far, so seems to have done the job. The resolution boost is welcome too, it's not a massive difference but it's still a little sharper now.

Endless mode is so damn addictive, got 55 kills so far, having a bit of a break before I go back in for more.

Taking a rest after almost 2 hours of Superhot VR, sweating for the second time since Dick Wilde. My god now I'm moving carefully and scrolling my browser thinking there's a bullet flying to my face. I kept seeing a lot of red line bullets flying now.

hmm sounds like you need to go back. it's calling you.

MattAces

hmm sounds like you need to go back. it's calling you.

Beating each level makes me sad because I'm getting closer to the final stage. What a wonderful game. Can't wait to see what the challenge mode and endless mode will offer.

The feeling of picking up guns from mid air after killing an enemy is unreal. But unfortunately for some people, this might be the largest space required for PSVR.

Beat Superhot in one shot and with the original PC release being my GOTY last year, this honestly just became one of my favorite games of all time. I wish I had time to write up detailed impressions but I'm headed out with some friends.
In short - if you ever watched an action movie and said "I wish I could be in that scenario" here it is. Buy it.

ckohler

I played through around 10 levels in Superhot VR. It's very fun and feels awesome.

But man, even on Pro the graphics are embarrassingly jaggy especially for such simplistic visuals. The developers really need to talk with the creators of Bound or Wayward Sky and find out how they are able to create such crisp and sharp visuals because these jaggies... they cut.

MattAces

There's an AMA in reddit with Superhot now.
We will do our best to improve it more on Pro. Stay tuned.

Basically they are trying to keep the performance as stable as possible and higher resolution is the only improvement now. They will try to update it more but it might require a lot of rework on the game. CPU limitation and Unity problems.

They even commented on having problems porting the game initially (PSVR version) and it might not be possible for a Switch release because of performance.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Can any of you gentlefolk recommend a tripod mount for the PS4 camera? Psvr Frank mentioned something about how he keeps his on one and said links were in the description but I didn't see any. I don't have a great history of him replying to me so I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

Preferably one I can buy on Amazon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Superhot patch seems to have made the game more stable and I've had no spawning behind walls so far, so seems to have done the job. The resolution boost is welcome too, it's not a massive difference but it's still a little sharper now.

Endless mode is so damn addictive, got 55 kills so far, having a bit of a break before I go back in for more.

Isn't it odd that Super hot got their patch out a day after release but it took the Brookhaven guys 2 months because it was "finished but waiting in cert"

Hmmmmmmmm

MattAces

Isn't it odd that Super hot got their patch out a day after release but it took the Brookhaven guys 2 months because it was "waiting in cert"

Hmmmmmmmm

It's even funnier when you consider Arizona Sunshine made a tweet about "still testing the patch, testing a few more rounds" and 36 hours later the patch drops. Plus it's a 3gb+ patch.

Played SuperHot VR today. Tracking is kind of poop. My left arm is frequently flying away from me, but it might be due to my setup. Any tips? I have the camera on top of my tv, and I'm standing about 5 ft away.

cakely

Can any of you gentlefolk recommend a tripod mount for the PS4 camera? Psvr Frank mentioned something about how he keeps his on one and said links were in the description but I didn't see any. I don't have a great history of him replying to me so I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

Preferably one I can buy on Amazon.

Buy a simple telescoping mic stand and use a couple cable ties to secure the camera to the top. You may also need a camera cable extension.

CxZZsXiXEAA0yrT.jpg:large

Horseticuffs

Buy a simple telescoping mic stand and use a couple cable ties to secure the camera to the top. You may also need a camera cable extension.
That's an even better idea! Less of a footprint. This has worked well for you?

I've heard some people hang it from the ceiling facing down on them. Anyone try that?

cakely

That's an even better idea! Less of a footprint. This has worked well for you?

I've heard some people hang it from the ceiling facing down on them. Anyone try that?

It works really well because you can adjust it to head level when you're either sitting or standing.

Horseticuffs

It works really well because you can adjust it to head level when you're either sitting or standing.
Brilliant plan. Just ordered one and some cable ties off Amazon. Coming on Monday. Can't wait to try it out!

My kids and I tried Superhot today and had a blast! We all agreed the "Beautiful ballerina of death" quote was entirely appropriate.

Tracking was a bit iffy but the sheer fun of it is worthwhile.

Also, again, try Arizona Sunshine now. I'd say it's right up there with Farpoint now. Graphics aren't as good, but as an Aim game it is a rollicking good time. I rarely replay games I've beaten but here I'll make an exception.

There's an AMA in reddit with Superhot now.

Basically they are trying to keep the performance as stable as possible and higher resolution is the only improvement now. They will try to update it more but it might require a lot of rework on the game. CPU limitation and Unity problems.

They even commented on having problems porting the game initially (PSVR version) and it might not be possible for a Switch release because of performance.
Of course it's fucking Unity. God dammit. Wouldn't have dropped $20 on it if I knew it was made with Unity.

Joystick

One last game sneaks into July 25th release for NA.

Apollo 11 VR lands on PSVR America on the 25th July.

It's been on the EU stores for ages. Conversely some games on the US store have been there for ages too and still not on the EU stores.

In related news Titanic VR (developed by the same people) is planned for release on PS VR in November.

I'm a kickstarter backer and there is a preview coming to Rift any day now so I'll report back on how that looks.

Kyolux

Wow. Just played a chunk of Superhot VR.

That was just.. wow.

I'm glad the weather is a bit less hot tomorrow. Cause tonight I couldn't stand the heat anymore under the headset + all the moving around.

As for Fallout 4 VR. heh, we'll see. It's still just one source.

Here is a quick look I did for VR Roundtable on Superhot. I've played it a fair amount on my Rift/Vive and I was very interested in seeing how the Playstation VR version stacked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzoox1yhsFM

Also, developer has indicated that a PS4-Pro patch is coming. It was not available when I gave it a go hence my comments about the resolution.

TL;DW: Is that it stacks up very well and I think PSVR owners are going to love it. Well worth the current PS+ price of $19.99

was the PS+ price only for a day? I check RN and its $25 :( Really want this.

So... it's looking like we're getting Fallout 4 VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK32Enjzp8E

If this pans out, I think I may actually pick it up. For some reason, the regular game never grabbed my attention enough to get me to bite. Looks like it'll be pretty awesome in VR, though.

I remember in the announcement thread saying I dont see why skyrim was coming to PSVR but not fallout 4 and I got shot down for it.

Fallout 4 is a garbage tier game tho

Grinchy

Banned
So... it's looking like we're getting Fallout 4 VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK32Enjzp8E

If this pans out, I think I may actually pick it up. For some reason, the regular game never grabbed my attention enough to get me to bite. Looks like it'll be pretty awesome in VR, though.

I'm still not buying it. Those kinds of SKU errors happen all the time.

I'd love to see it happen, so I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see them somehow improving the performance of F4 on PS4 when the regular game can't even hold 30fps. What are they gonna do, run the game at 480p for PSVR?

gpn

At SDCC today I tried out the Blade Runner 2049 VR Experience. This was on Occulus, but the graphics, while very good, did not look to be out of range of what could be done on PSVR.

The experience has you sitting in one of the Spinners, taking off, flying around the city and pursuing another flying vehicle between the buildings, and then crashing. It was short, but still fun, especially if you're a Blade Runner fan.

I hope it gets fleshed out into a full-fledged game and released on all the VR platforms. One thing that really improved the immersion was that they had us sit in these motorized chairs that tilted and rumbled along with the action. I want one of these chairs for home!

I wish SuperHot had a Knife Only Mode! I mean, wielding dual knives is awesome. My 5th Grade Daughter and her friend were watching me and cracking up, no look slicing people on my left and right at the same time, glorious.

ckohler

SUPERHOT is the most appropriately named VR game. After an hour I was sweating so much I needed a shower but damn was it fun!

I totally agree. I enjoy Frank's enthusiasm but he's putting way too much stock in that catalog being error free.

It would be pretty bad on Gamestop to make such a huge mistake like that, what happens when the magazine is open to the public on Sunday and they want to pre-order the PSVR version of Fallout 4?

Grinchy

Banned
It would be pretty bad on Gamestop to make such a huge mistake like that, what happens when the magazine is open to the public on Sunday and they want to pre-order the PSVR version of Fallout 4?

"Sorry sir, that was a listing mistake. But since you're here, would you like to pre-order the new Call of Duty? You get rewards with our rewards system and it's only $15! And don't forget some DLC for your favorite game. We have the codes right here at the register. And what other systems do you have? Did you know that we have the Switch in stock? You can even pre-order Super Mario Odyssey right now! You don't want to be driving all around on launch day looking for a copy when you can guarantee one here! Oh, and if you want to save $5, you can buy a used copy of what you came in for today. Why not save $5? Oh and would you like to pre-order Battlefront 2? You don't want to miss out on launch day!......"

"Sorry sir, that was a listing mistake. But since you're here, would you like to pre-order the new Call of Duty? You get rewards with our rewards system and it's only $15! And don't forget some DLC for your favorite game. We have the codes right here at the register. And what other systems do you have? Did you know that we have the Switch in stock? You can even pre-order Super Mario Odyssey right now! You don't want to be driving all around on launch day looking for a copy when you can guarantee one here! Oh, and if you want to save $5, you can buy a used copy of what you came in for today. Why not save $5? Oh and would you like to pre-order Battlefront 2? You don't want to miss out on launch day!......"

Have to admit this made me chuckle.

Just tried superhot VR. I played original superhot on PC and really liked it.

This is very similar, but very well adapted for VR. I'm thinking this going to be a great ride.

tr00per

Brilliant plan. Just ordered one and some cable ties off Amazon. Coming on Monday. Can't wait to try it out!

I can attest to this. It works well and is easy to adjust, that's what I use.

What's gaf's opinion on star trek bridge crew? Is there matchmaking? I'm considering getting 2 copies for me and my trekkie father but I don't know who else we could play with

MattAces

Played SuperHot VR today. Tracking is kind of poop. My left arm is frequently flying away from me, but it might be due to my setup. Any tips? I have the camera on top of my tv, and I'm standing about 5 ft away.

You need a HUGE area, standing far away from the camera high up. If your hand is flying off, then you are standing too near to the camera, therefore a smaller tracked area. No kidding, this is the largest space required for PSVR yet. And the tracking is beautiful for me, pretty much flawless. I wish I can visit everybody's house and troubleshoot your setup. Seeing people having trouble with hands flying off and stuff makes me sad.

Aww man, I saw some screenshot and was extremely happy about it until I realize it's another Gear VR game again that was eventually ported to Vive too. Steam reviews not so great, hopefully they had the time to polish it up for PSVR.

Also kudos to frank, I love how it went from a single page to two pages, to flipping the entire book. That's pretty funny.

I'll vouch for this. You can raise it or lower it, tilt it up or down, and pretty much place it wherever you want. The one I bought I was able to just unscrew the Mic clip and put the cameras folding stand attachment over the threads then screw the plastic bolt back on to keep it in place.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01A88MC9K/

Between the stand, a camera extension cord, 100% blackout window covers, and a dimmer switch, i've solved any tracking problems I had.

Kalentan

The Arizona Sunshine patch did help although there is still some jankiness with the controls and interaction. Like when you open a cabinet sometimes closing it and opening it can be really awkward. Same thing with somethings you need to interact with.

Also the controls in general could use some work. Doesn't feel quite right yet.

But I will actually play it now! It's a lot better than it was before!

jluedtke

Superhot VR: Is there a menu? Am I ever able to replay previous levels? I have friends who want to start from the beginning, but I'm midway through the game.

MattAces

Superhot VR: Is there a menu? Am I ever able to replay previous levels? I have friends who want to start from the beginning, but I'm midway through the game.

After beating the game yea, you can select individual levels and different challenge mode/endless mode with more levels. Endless mode is addicting as hell, for real. I can confirm the Pro enhancement did help because it seems like the Pro isn't patched in Endless mode and it looks hideous, like 140p, but it's VERY VERY fun, so I can overlook the graphic.

Top Bottom