• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Codiox

To MattAces:
Thanks for the constant updates on all the new VR games. Since the community is still growing we need to spread all the words we can about the games, so that this platform can succeed.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Finally got to try the new, new Brookhaven patch and, using the bayonet and the flare, beat the lab basement finally!

Man, that bayonet owns! Kills even the big fellas in a few hits but if you wait until they're too close it won't hit them. What's the general consensus for best weapon? I just unlocked an automatic rifle finally but it seems pretty bad compared to the semiautomatic models.

Mic stand setup worked great with this, also, though I had to adjust it down for Brookhaven and Arizona Sunshine due to sitting. Easy enough due to the Velcro though.

I'm still really impressed by the leaps and bounds Arizona has made. From shit, to a novelty with the Aim, to a legit fantastic game. It's such a great time. I feel like I'm in Dawn of the Dead or something.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I feel like I couldn't handle RE7 in VR. I am sure I would scream and yell too, lol. I'm not afraid to admit I do jump-scare easily. Shit, I got tense going down into the basement cellar in Tomb Raider Blood Ties VR. I am sure I would get super nervous in RE7.

Almost bought it today since it is on sale digitally, but just can't bring myself to do it. :/
Oh but you can and I definitely recommend pushing yourself through it cause the VR experience for me was sooooo much better than playing on the flat 2d screen(did immediate comparisons). You'll be glad you did once the game really clicks and you're in your groove popping headshots with no sweat. But man does it have some pretty intense highs in VR which I loved. Screaming/yelling/twitching at some of the intense parts feels fantastic haha.

MattAces

To MattAces:
Thanks for the constant updates on all the new VR games. Since the community is still growing we need to spread all the words we can about the games, so that this platform can succeed.

:) Hopefully there's a lot of good stuff from ChinaJoy today.

KalBalboa

Banned
Is this because you sweat like a mad man (like me) or tracking hiccups? I beat this last night and damn, what a work out

Hah, I have broken a sweat both times I've played but I also have two windows that are directly behind me when facing the camera, so I'd rather wait until tonight when zero sunlight is casting straight behind my Move wands.

majik13

This been posted yet. New Ubi VR game

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/space-junkies/

The studio behind Rayman is leaping face-first into virtual reality with the announcement of Space Junkies, which will bring jetpack flight and fast-paced shooting to Oculus Rift + Touch and HTC Vive platforms in early 2018. Created by Ubisoft Montpellier, Space Junkies is a multiplayer shooter featuring fast-moving microgravity battles in three-dimensional arenas.
Only VIVE and Rift so far...

Edit: Nevermind, I guess this was revealed at E3, totally missed it....
space-junkies_screenshot_shoot.jpg

ubicom-space-junkies-naked-boxshot_tablet_292671.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Multiplayer arena shooters seem to be most of the hype/safe bets for most big publishers jumping in VR it seems.

MattAces

This been posted yet. New Ubi VR game

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/space-junkies/

Only VIVE and Rift so far...

Edit: Nevermind, I guess this was revealed at E3, totally missed it....

Confirmed not coming to PSVR, not because of power issue, but the lack of locomotion from Move controller. Forgot it was from which site's interview.

Multiplayer arena shooters seem to be most of the hype/safe bets for most big publishers jumping in VR it seems.

Sadly anything multiplayer in VR is an instant skip for me. It was bad enough with the lack of players in EU/US region, in Asia region, there's probably 5 active PSVR users daily. Not a single game that was released today is available in the Asia store.

majik13

Confirmed not coming to PSVR, not because of power issue, but the lack of locomotion from Move controller. Forgot it was from which site's interview.

yeah reading the game description, this is what I was thinking as to the reason, but yeah otherwise personally I havent been able to find any PSVR mention. I'm sure there is an interview or answer out there, as you say.

Sadly anything multiplayer in VR is an instant skip for me. It was bad enough with the lack of players in EU/US region, in Asia region, there's probably 5 active PSVR users daily. Not a single game that was released today is available in the Asia store.

Thats what has been great about Ubis games since they are always cross play with Rift and Vive users, so I dont think a lack of population would be an issue with this game, if it were to eventually come to PSVR. But cant speak for Asia servers, though.

MattAces

yeah reading the game description, this is what I was thinking as to the reason, but yeah otherwise personally I havent been able to find any PSVR mention. I'm sure there is an interview or answer out there, as you say.

Thats what has been great about Ubis games since they are always cross play with Rift and Vive users, so I dont think a lack of population would be an issue with this game, if it were to eventually come to PSVR.

Rift or Vive is not even available to be purchased in my region officially. So unfortunately that doesn't help a lot. There are some games that forces you into EU/US region like EVE Valkyrie but the high latency causes a severe rubber banding. I'm still upset that I never had the chance to play Eagle Flight MP.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hear that man. A thriving community with active players is vital to the longevity of these first generation console/cross plat VR games. That's sad to read regarding the Asian store and region in general when it comes to the current PSVR support. Hopefully they'll pick up the pace cause they need all fronts on this movement imo.

So which horror games should i pick up besides re7?
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood if you haven't already. Dirt cheap now on sale and is a fantastic amusement ride. I beat it in one sitting and loved it. Also had my cousin's wife try the first level today and she was sweating bullets lol. It's a fun one.

MattAces

I hear that man. A thriving community with active players is vital to the longevity of these first generation console/cross plat VR games. That's sad to read regarding the Asian store and region in general when it comes to the current PSVR support. Hopefully they'll pick up the pace cause they need all fronts on this movement imo.

Starblood Arena looks cool, the new Smashbox Arena looks great, reviewed well too. I just wish that I'm in the right region for those games.
Hopefully Smashbox Arena will be a breakthrough for having an active community, but they just had to price it at $30. This was their respond about the pricing. And yes, the current price on steam is $20.
We wanted to make sure we nailed a price that matched the awesome experience Smashbox offers! The original Vive and Rift versions launched with similar prices, so we thought that would be a good benchmark to follow.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6pi933/we_are_so_excited_to_announce_that_smashbox_arena/

Kalentan

SuperHot VR is fucking hard.

I worked up quite the sweat!

Did notice some moments where the move controllers spazzed out or were lost and throwing doesn't work very well.

KalBalboa

Banned
SuperHot VR is fucking hard.

I worked up quite the sweat!

Did notice some moments where the move controllers spazzed out or were lost and throwing doesn't work very well.

The trick to throwing in Superhot is to do it basically half as fast as you'd do it in real life.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Starblood Arena looks cool, the new Smashbox Arena looks great, reviewed well too. I just wish that I'm in the right region for those games.
Hopefully Smashbox Arena will be a breakthrough for having an active community, but they just had to price it at $30. This was their respond about the pricing. And yes, the current price on steam is $20.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6pi933/we_are_so_excited_to_announce_that_smashbox_arena/
Why the hell they priced it higher than steam? :/
This is not gonna go down well.

So which horror games should i pick up besides re7?

As others have said, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. Though I feel that people way overstate how scary the game is. Yes there's some jump scares and somewhat creepy sections. But I'm horrible with horror games. I really can't play them nowadays as they're just too stressful for me, but I felt none of that during Rush of Blood.

MattAces

Anyway, so who got Infinite Minigolf?
Still having trouble deciding VR or handheld. I've been watching and reading VR reviews for the past 2 or 3 hours and I'm very close into just getting it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As others have said, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. Though I feel that people way overstate how scary the game is. Yes there's some jump scares and somewhat creepy sections. But I'm horrible with horror games. I really can't play them nowadays as they're just too stressful for me, but I felt none of that during Rush of Blood.
Easily more of an amusement ride as I mentioned than a horror game. But a really fun amusement ride though. :)

LaneDS

Got to say. I didn't honestly expect to buy so many VR games. In total I have over 20 VR games. That's crazy! I love it.

In my experience, VR really lends itself to smaller impulse purchases. I frequently pass on well-reviewed games at similar prices that I know I'd like (but don't have time to play) and seem to have little problem pulling the trigger on VR titles with good word of mouth even if I play them a handful of times.

Burglekutt

Still having trouble deciding VR or handheld. I've been watching and reading VR reviews for the past 2 or 3 hours and I'm very close into just getting it.

I got it. Havent played a lot of it but having fun so far. Its a bit easy but you have to beat the beginner tournaments to get to the more advanced stuff.

The big plus of the VR game is obviously being in the 3d environments as you play.

The only negative so far is that the camera angle seems to be fixed so on rare occasions, i am actually hitting the ball towards me and cant see where its going. Im going to look to see if there is some camera reset built into the controls.

Edit: Triangle centers your camera behind you.

Edit2: started the medium difficulty and they start throwing more obstacles in your way so it definitely gets more challenging.

KalBalboa

Banned
Having finished Superhot VR, I'll put it up there with RE7, Playroom VR, and Job Simulator as my must-tries for people new to VR.

I'm mulling over what trophy to chase next. The one-sitting trophy seems real doable.

FingerBang

I've got a review code for PS4, I will be able to try it tonight (Tokyo time). Let me know if there's anything, in particular, you would like to know.

Also, I just ordered the Oculus Rift + third sensor.

MattAces

I've got a review code for PS4, I will be able to try it tonight (Tokyo time). Let me know if there's anything, in particular, you would like to know.

Also, I just ordered the Oculus Rift + third sensor.

Screw it, I just bought it. I'm always sold on the game, just that I'm deciding between Switch or PSVR. Since the Switch delayed, might as well just go for the better version. Also just in case they eventually added in Move or something.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
In my experience, VR really lends itself to smaller impulse purchases. I frequently pass on well-reviewed games at similar prices that I know I'd like (but don't have time to play) and seem to have little problem pulling the trigger on VR titles with good word of mouth even if I play them a handful of times.
Definitely true in my case as well. I fully expect my VR games catalog(console+PC) this generation and beyond to be greater than my traditional games catalog.

MattAces

I'm about to cry.
The worst thing that could ever happened to a VR user. Dead pixel.
Thank god Infinite Minigolf is playable without VR. Going to miss Dino Frontier next week :(
Any quick tips that I should try before sending in?

Maybe It's just because I'm not a very fit person but I broke into a sweat playing Superhot VR for a while.

Could be that, but sweating is unavoidable in VR, specially depending on the game you are playing. Just playing Rez the other night with my AC on full blast still had me on edge and sweating XD

To be fair, I was also dancing to the rhythm as well lol

Is Tiny Trax insanely hard for anyone else? Best I can do is 3rd place. Seems odd there's no difficulty settings for the AI.

I'm about to cry.
The worst thing that could ever happened to a VR user. Dead pixel.
Thank god Infinite Minigolf is playable without VR. Going to miss Dino Frontier next week :(
Any quick tips that I should try before sending in?
Wow that sucks. Good luck with CS. Unless it's actually a fleck of dirt I can't think of anything that would fix it.

MattAces

Is Tiny Trax insanely hard for anyone else? Best I can do is 3rd place. Seems odd there's no difficulty settings for the AI.

Wow that sucks. Good luck with CS. Unless it's actually a fleck of dirt I can't think of anything that would fix it.
Just sent in. They say it's most likely a replacement.

Just played an hour of Infinite Minigolf without VR. The starting tournaments are boring, then I went into course creator to try out those bigger stuff and damn, those are surprisingly fun. After I've reached courses with a lot of power ups and jumping around, the game is fun. And just from looking at the environment, it looks like a beautiful game for VR.

MattAces

Watched everything. Infinite Minigolf VR camera seems cool, but it's a pick up and play type of game, still having a tough time on deciding. Just doesn't seem like a game that I will put on a headset for hours playing it.

I might get Tiny Trax just because Theseus turns out to be such a disappointment. And Tiny Trax has Platinum, that's one way to push me on playing it a lot.

Tiny Trax is by the people that made Velocity Ultra, Velocity 2X they are masters of gameplay and a really cool supportive indie dev, have it pre-ordered but did not have time to play last night, but think it is a safe bet at the price, just don't expect the plat to be a cakewalk but they have said is easier than their previous plats that were infamous.

Top Bottom