• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

ChinaJoy 2017 PlayStation conference will be live streamed in various China sites. No YouTube for now. There should be quite a lot of VR stuff.
t1501048800z4.png

The Dude

Any cheap stands that anyone can recommend that are about to just lower and raise? That'd be ideal for me. My oculus sensors were easy because they're hanging but my psvr cam I think I need to find a stand that can go higher and lower

Johnny 5 is alive! And with a mustache!

Thanks for the tip, I will check that stand out but I may have to come up with a more elegant solution for attaching the camera lol

Does the mic clip screw off entirely by chance?

I bought the one below and the mic clip actually screwed off and left just a threaded piece that I was able to put through the hole of the "stand" that comes with the new version of the camera. Then I just threaded back on the plastic bolt to hold it in place. This allows me to tilt up or down easily as well as raising or lowering the stand itself. No velcro or zip ties necessary.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01A88MC9K/

1. Until Dawn
2. Starblood
3. Worlds
4. Drive club VR

in that order

Hmm
1 Driveclub VR - Longest lasting game by far
2 Until Dawn - Great spooky rail shooter
3 World's - Some good experiences and great to demo vr but not that long lasting.
4 Starblood - Only one I haven't got, but online PvP game with small community doesn't sound too great for me

Just my opinions of course :)

Nesther

Since people were talking about mic stands, this is how mine has been since launch and it works perfectly for me:

Just a ~$20 mic stand and some cable ties.

Oh man, that's an excellent idea. I've always had issues balancing my camera on top of my thin TV for VR games that require staning.

Ninjatogo

Oh man, that's an excellent idea. I've always had issues balancing my camera on top of my thin TV for VR games that require staning.

What I've found works best for TVs is to let it hang in front of the TV rather than trying to balance it on top. As long as it's plugged in to the PS4 it won't fall.

EDIT: Should mention, this is only good if you have bezel space on your TV.

DukeBobby

Is Sports Bar VR worth £6.49? Are there a lot of tracking issues?

I'm guessing the online is pretty much dead, but there might be a few new players due to it being on sale.

bumpkin

1. Worlds
2. Until Dawn
3. Drive club VR
4. Starblood

in that order
Fixed, and I will tell you why. Worlds I put first because it has a nice mix of experiences that acclimate you to the headset. Starblood I put last because it's largely multiplayer focused and honestly not particularly compelling outside of a cool veneer. You can do some SP stuff against bots, but it's not fun. Even the lowest difficulty match is a bitch.

FingerBang

Lifts tomorrow morning.

Second that. I finished the game two days ago, the embargo lifts later today (or tomorrow if you're in America).

So pumped for Theseus, chronos is another game in 3rd person and it's fucking amazing with the rift. I crave more games that utilize 3rd person, its such a perfect mix of classic gaming and vr

I'm not talking about Theseus, but honestly, I am not a big fan of 3rd person VR games unless they do something to really make it worth "being there". Well, after Superhot VR I want all my games to be about moving around with motion controls.

Is Sports Bar VR worth £6.49? Are there a lot of tracking issues?

Haven't played much so far but it seems competent and I got pretty involved in the air hockey against the AI :D
Because you can teleport and hulk yourself around you also don't need so much open space in your setup.

I mostly bought it to meet up in VR once my oversea buddy buys PSVR,too. Don't really want to play with randoms TBH haha

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I haven't played it myself but Mervils is apparently an ok platformer. I think that's the only one so far (apart from Robot Rescue of course)

I hated Mervil's and peaced out pretty quickly. It's one of those games where you have to collect everything to move on to the next area. I didn't see any actual platforming in the early game.

Higgy

Anyone have the links to the mic stands your using? So many choices for mic stands on Amazon. I look for the Amazon basic but the only one that shows up is a boom stand.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Is it bad if I have no camera stand & just the camera in front of the TV base instead? Not sure about tracking improvements going with a different position but still haven't ran into any major issues with this setup.

Is it bad if I have no camera stand & just the camera in front of the TV base instead? Not sure about tracking improvements going with a different position but still haven't ran into any major issues with this setup.

You really want the camera to be a little higher than you and angled downward slightly to get the best results. Especially so if you plan to play any standing/room scale type stuff.

MattAces

What is this? I can't find a single freaking gameplay or video.

Dream Angling for PSVR
2GuHJxe.png

※PlayStation®Move motion controller is required to play this content.
This is a story about looking for memories in the dream.
Player as the main character in game, by complete a series of angling challenge, try to find all the important memory pieces throughout the growth process and experience the inner feeling of the main character.

The gameplay is simulate the core experiences of angling by a more casual way: find the target – casting rod – spinning the reel – catch the fish.

Game presents 36 kinds of fishes and 4 different beautiful and stylish scenes. Also game provides two modes: Story Mode and Challenge Mode

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You really want the camera to be a little higher than you and angled downward slightly to get the best results. Especially so if you plan to play any standing/room scale type stuff.
I see, thanks. Will have to play around with the setup later for optimal results.

ChouGoku

Finally beat the campaign of Superhot and endless mode is where Superhot gets really fun. Regular mode is fun too but now that I don't have to really think about my movements I really feel like Neo. Is anyone else getting a lot of wobble in Superhot? I don't think its my setup because right after I tried Arizona Sunshine and didn't get any wobble

MattAces

Finally beat the campaign of Superhot and endless mode is where Superhot gets really fun. Regular mode is fun too but now that I don't have to really think about my movements I really feel like Neo. Is anyone else getting a lot of wobble in Superhot? I don't think its my setup because right after I tried Arizona Sunshine and didn't get any wobble

It's mainly because of the constant recentering. Whenever you start a new stage, it will recenter depending on where you are looking/standing. It was confirmed to be a mistake by the dev and there will be a fix.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6p499z/problems_with_superhot/dko6aoh/?context=3

oh wow, for some reason i didn't think to play RE7 standing up.. good lord it's even more immersive and intense. i had a save right before a boss fight so i walked right into it (almost literally) and it was so crazy. it feels so much more natural.

i almost fell on my ass several times during that fight.. my legs kinda just didn't know what to do and it was awesome.

it was the
chainsaw fight against Jack
, anyone know how much more i have left? am i 1/3 through? 1/4?

majik13

ChinaJoy had half a dozen PSVR reveals last year. Let's hope for another good showing this year.
Have any of those games released or even announced for the US?

Also finally played Super Hot tonight. Got to the 4th disc I beleive. Holy Balls this game is awesome, and a damn good work out. Im not much of a fan for standing games. Played all of Farpoint sitting on the couch, but thoroughly enjoyed SH and didnt ever feel like stopping. Trying to get the hang of throwing, wish it felt more like Batman Batarangs, only downside for me so far.
Also I grabbed some hand steemer arm thing and very unsafely raised my camera up 8 feet or so(a small bump would have sent it all crashing down, didnt really have much of any tracking issues, except occasionally ending up across the room.

McCHitman

Banned
So last night I set up my camera on a folding arm mic stand that attaches to my Entertainment center. It worked like shit.

Today my proper, freestanding mic stand arrived, and with the aid of Velcro tape I set up my camera about 6.5 feet high and angled just so. Played some Superhot and it was amazing. I was picking shit up off the floor,I was hiding behind cover. It went awesomely.

Anyone looking for a system like this, I recommend the Amazon basic mic stand. Works great. I didn't even need the rather expensive extension cable I bought. I may just return it, or keep it in case I need it when I move.

Really pleased with how it is working out.

How far away from the camera are you?

If I sit on my couch and lean back, it says that I'm out of the play area for most stuff, even though tracking still works.

DagsJT

My PSVR arrived today, excited to try it out tonight.

So far I've picked up World's, Superhot, Batman, Rush Of Blood, Thumper, Keep Talking and Sports Bar.

PSVR really needs some sort of boundary set up that is at OS level. Punched the walls on opposite sides of the room within 10 mins yesterday.

Scubasteve2365

Neo Member
Here's my take on Theseus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yex6AQAjW4Q

I don't really do "reviews" or "stream", sort of a hybrid. It does show gameplay combat and you can get my impressions on the game. Overall, I think the game looks great. Some care went into creating the environments. It's an interesting place, but I am concerned that the enemy variety and general combat/platforming is a little shallow in that it's repetitive without much variety. Still though I think the environment and graphics are pretty great. At times some distant shots of Theseus or some foilage will appear blurry. Most of the gameplay takes place with a fixed camera position, much like Chronos on the Rift, but at times and during certain sequences the perspective will change to more of an over-the-shoulder view with the VR-camera following Theseus. During these segments you generally cannot run and I imagine that is the developer reducing the chance of motion sickness.

One of the best things about this game, and VR in general, is the sense of scale when there is a big enemy. This game has that but I won't spoil it too much.

Full disclaimer though is that I didn't get my review copy until early yesterday so I have not yet completed the game so more variety may set in. I still have not seen the price confirmed, but if the rumored $20 US is true, then I do recommend it if you're into 3rd person VR. If you're the type that is vehemently against 3rd person VR then Theseus likely isn't going to do anything to persuade you.

Edit: As I mentioned above I didn't actually have enough time to complete the game but wanted to get impressions out there. Reports are coming in that its about 90 mins long. I'm close to that, and I don't feel that I am end-game, which suggests that the ending is sort of abrupt. At 90-ish minutes worth of content that likely isn't very replayable I'm not sure $20 is a good price. For the level of polish, at first glance it would appear justified, but with that short of an experience I can't say it's worth that asking price. Keep an eye out for it on a sale.

I finally got around to getting a microphone stand and mounting the PS camera behind the tv overlooking the living room. I am 6’4” and this was the first time I was able to play Batman VR with the ability to fully stretch my arms out. This weekend I will test some sitting games and hopefully this camera setup will work for couch vr games as well.

Top Bottom