• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

I'm getting a copy of Starblood Arena tomorrow. I know that there's no one online (except maybe Sundays and Wednesdays with the community events) but it was really cheap and I have always had an interest in it.

Everyone should get Starblood arena, especially now that it's $19.99. This is one of those unfortunate games that was rated lower simply because of the lack of an online community. It really is a great space shooter.

MattAces

Does the V1 camera stick to the top of a TV easy enough? We don't have any shelves or anything like that above our TV.

The V1 camera doesn't come with a holder, the V2 has it though. It's more like a stopper where it just kind of rest there.
Also forgot to mention that you will always have to focus on the left lens of the camera.

dam-psvr-playarea_en2.jpg

Kyolux

I'm thinking of selling my Aim / Farpoint.

I can't play the game without getting stressed out. I hate being "surprised" in VR it seems.

And no matter how many times I try, I can't play long enough most of the time to complete a level.

Tried the Aim for Arizona and it's fun, but I'm sure I can live with playing with the moves.

edit: so if someone is looking for one in Canada. More ideally in the Ottawa region. Let me know.

The Chef

3 feet is WAY too low. It should be at least your head level and better if it's higher, pointing down. Stand at least 4.5-5 feet away from camera.

Additional: As pointed out by GoldenCrow, utilize that "Confirm Your Position" from holding down PS Button. Just look at the tracking boundary and see if your Move is picked up by the camera while you are crouching. By having camera high up pointing down, the floor should be visible allowing it to track your Move picking weapons up from the ground.

Thank you SO much! I'll help him change it up today.

The V1 camera doesn't come with a holder, the V2 has it though. It's more like a stopper where it just kind of rest there.
Also forgot to mention that you will always have to focus on the left lens of the camera.

dam-psvr-playarea_en2.jpg
I think that depends on the region. In NA the original camera came with a TV mount.

Codiox

I'm thinking of selling my Aim / Farpoint.

I can't play the game without getting stressed out. I hate being "surprised" in VR it seems.

And no matter how many times I try, I can't play long enough most of the time to complete a level.

Tried the Aim for Arizona and it's fun, but I'm sure I can live with playing with the moves.

edit: so if someone is looking for one in Canada. More ideally in the Ottawa region. Let me know.

Man I know exactly how you feel. I was so full of fear while I played through it. Could barely do it. At one point I thought about selling it aswell. This shit was too real for me.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Eve Valkyrie is most definitely all the justification I needed for buying PSVR. If there was a single player campaign, it would be perfect.

Eve Valkyrie is most definitely all the justification I needed for buying PSVR. If there was a single player campaign, it would be perfect.

EVE Valkyrie was the first PlayStation VR game I tried way back in 2015. The headset was one of the original LCD screen prototypes judging by the pretty horrific screen door effect on display. And the graphics were clearly still work in progress . But even then my mind was blown by both the technical achievement and the possibilities that lay ahead. I knew then that I had to have one at launch.

TheMan

Man I know exactly how you feel. I was so full of fear while I played through it. Could barely do it. At one point I thought about selling it aswell. This shit was too real for me.

lol, same here. I really like the aim controller and I'll keep it, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get rid of Farpoint itself. Maybe I'm a little bitch, but life's too short to be freaked out by VR facespiders.

Chabbles

Picked up one of these afew weeks ago and experienced my first negative after effects after a 2 hour session of resi 7 last night (smooth turning on 6), playing standing up because its such a better experience. Usually ill play sitting for a little bit before standing to ease in, but not last night. When i removed the headset a bad headache came on almost instantly, and woke up with it too which was weird as fuck. Beyond that no sickness at all.. so much better standing up though, im going back in!

After spending hours in the COD demo i was let down by Eve big time after picking up a copy last week. It aint anywhere near as convincing imo. At times, like for micro seconds almost feels like im actually flying in space with the COD demo, eve is fake as shit or just feels a whole lot tamer.

NateDrake

Got Until Dawn Rush of Blood when it was on sale, and fuck that Hotel level. Scared to shit out of me. The game is awesome but scary as all hell.

After spending hours in the COD demo i was let down by Eve big time after picking up a copy last week. It aint anywhere near as convincing imo. At times, like for micro seconds almost feels like im actually flying in space with the COD demo, eve is fake as shit or just feels a whole lot tamer.

I thought COD felt the worst personally. It felt more like a very tame aircraft rather than a spacecraft. And while EVE:V doesn't get the physics right either at least it felt closer to space. Weaving in and out of structures and changing direction almost as fast as you can think it, slamming on the breaks to tilt the ship backward then roll out into cover is far more intense than anything in COD and that is only a small variety of what you can do with the ships. Flying in the middle of a death ball is super intense alone and looks incredible and that is only one small type of skirmish that can happen. Only bit where COD feels better is open space but if your messing about there in EVE:V you are just going to get torn to pieces.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I've got my camera about six feet up now on a mic stand, angled down, and it seems worse than when it was down above my TV.

I'm sure the key is finding a sweet spot.

FingerBang

Got Until Dawn Rush of Blood when it was on sale, and fuck that Hotel level. Scared to shit out of me. The game is awesome but scary as all hell.

Hahaha man, totally. It's pretty much jump scares, but damn if they're effective in VR. You know something is coming your way, but seeing it in 3D, in front of you is just... scary! It makes you feel constantly in danger, I love it.

I'd say that's the scariest game on PSVR, more than RE7.

iratA

Really looking forward to 'Tiny Trax' already preordered, Futurelab have earned my trust as a studio and I'm sure they'll continue to support it in anyway they can. I hope some reviewers get on it.

PINBALL FX 2 VR (or how you need to get on this shit)
Mini review:
Can't stress how amazing Pinball FX2 (PSVR) is, spent some serious time on this one. Because you're basically standing there playing pinball there is no locomotion and therefore no motion sickness and I love looking into the table seeing all of the ramps and 3D models stick out as if they are real. Spent hours in my virtual mansion playing on all my tables. You even have a virtual trophy cabinet in your mansion that fills with your PSN Pinball Trophies as you earn them. Yeah this game is very well thought out, and the presentation is just beautiful. Highly recommended.

Also the 'Season 1 Pinball Pack' expansion (includes 5 extra tables) is on sale in EU store right now. This pack includes the Castlestorm Pinball table and the Earth Defense table which are very impressive. The Castlestorm table has a Dragon flying around you and the table, breathing fire and generally looking awesome while your playing pinball. Earth Defense table has these amazing looking UFO's hovering just off to your side, facing off against the Earth Helicopters on your other side firing salvos across the table at each other while your playing. Brilliant stuff.

MattAces

So what's up with the aim controller? I can't seem to find one anywhere. It's used for Arizona sunshine correct? Any other games ?

Released:
Farpoint
Special Delivery
Arizona Sunshine
Dick Wilde
Brookhaven Experiment

Upcoming:
Rom: Extraction
Bravo Team
DWVR
Honor and Duty: VR Edition
Special Forces VR

Planned:
Dimension Hunter
Demon Grade

NateDrake

Hahaha man, totally. It's pretty much jump scares, but damn if they're effective in VR. You know something is coming your way, but seeing it in 3D, in front of you is just... scary! It makes you feel constantly in danger, I love it.

I'd say that's the scariest game on PSVR, more than RE7.

RE7 was more creepy due to atmosphere and tension. Until Dawn VR and the jump scares make you feel helpless. You know they are coming but they still get you.

MattAces

Asked Forge Reply about Theseus VR price a month ago, they said it will be revealed in other time. Fine.
Asked them yesterday, got a reply just now saying "Just a couple of days now... ��"
Are they f-ing serious? We got 2 trailers and ZERO information beyond that about this game.
I have a BAD feeling about it.

Grinchy

Banned
lol damn Arizona Sunshine horde mode is so easy with the 2-handed weapons

We got the 300,400,600 streak trophies on our first try with about 1000 kills in the end. And we only died because of the constant fucking accidental 180 flips. I'm glad the patch added some nice things, but I can't believe they fucked up that 180 flip option.

Kalentan

lol damn Arizona Sunshine horde mode is so easy with the 2-handed weapons

We got the 300,400,600 streak trophies on our first try with about 1000 kills in the end. And we only died because of the constant fucking accidental 180 flips. I'm glad the patch added some nice things, but I can't believe they fucked up that 180 flip option.

It's weird. You turn off the 180 flip but it still works.

Ellite25

Super Hot is so much fun. It’s hard as hell though. Someone mentioned earlier that they finished it in one night and my buddy and I played for like an hour and a half and barely made it through like 4 levels lol

Tntnico

Super Hot is so much fun. It’s hard as hell though. Someone mentioned earlier that they finished it in one night and my buddy and I played for like an hour and a half and barely made it through like 4 levels lol

By far the best PSVR game I played. So so much fun !

Grinchy

Banned
It's weird. You turn off the 180 flip but it still works.

Yeah it's really bizarre that they didn't notice it was broken before sending the patch out.

I'm glad they let us increase the turning sensitivity. I put it almost on maximum and it felt so much better to me.

FingerBang

RE7 was more creepy due to atmosphere and tension. Until Dawn VR and the jump scares make you feel helpless. You know they are coming but they still get you.

RE7 is probably the better game (too bad it lacks motion controls...), but it stops being scary halfway through. It keeps the tension high though, that's a great achievement.

Asked Forge Reply about Theseus VR price a month ago, they said it will be revealed in other time. Fine.
Asked them yesterday, got a reply just now saying "Just a couple of days now... ��"
Are they f-ing serious? We got 2 trailers and ZERO information beyond that about this game.
I have a BAD feeling about it.

You will probably know everything you need to know tomorrow. ;)

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I want a competent space adventure sim so badly. Wing Commander or Freespace, give me give me.

Anyway, tried the whole demo disc and some other games. Bought Batman and realised I need to move a lot of stuff out of my way in standing mode. Knocked some books off my shelf when throwing batarangs. Cool stuff.

As I said I want space sims. Eve...this made me salivate for a Star Wars space game or anything similar. Space just fills me with wonder and I need more. I want to shoot at space pirates, collect loot, sit in a space bar trading or bantering with the cockey pilots who don't think a rookie like me can make it. Just give.this.to.me.now.

Thumper demo, way coooool. Addictive and I will get this when I buy my own headset. Coold music with cool effects.

Driveclub VR demo, muuuuch easier to judge cornes, but the basic view distance is so blurry I can't see the corners or which side of the road I am supposed to be in if I don't know the track. Only game that game me a weird feeling when sliding sideways.

Kitchen demo. Looks great, fuck this shit is scary. Can't stand horror. Excellent demo. Won't buy but demoing to friends is a must.

Ocean worlds demo? Kinda empty as I tried some underwater stuff with GearVR a year ago. Cool but I feel super uneasy underwater. I fear a shark will eat me every friggin time. Every. I love the oceans but sharks man, they are out to get me.

London Heist demo. Surprised it was a shooting range. Wanted more because gun handling was good. Picking up and putting the clip in is damn satisfying.

Until Dawn RoB demo. Niiiiiice. Liked the shooting but hate the horror elements. I want to enjoy a regular shooting game like Time Crisis or some others. Not piss my pants. Or the shock horror stuff.

Playroom demos. Almost anything is really good. The best is the platforming demo which I want turned into a full game soon. Being able to play with friends on the sofa for some demos was so nice idea too. Nice clean graphics and demonstrates what devs should try. I think I played around with this demo the most as it was the first one I tried.

Wayward Sky demo. Really clean and nice graphics that have a good sense of scale. Wanted to buy this but opted for Batman instead until I buy this HMD myself.

Allumette story. It's show the scale of the town in the clouds really well and made me think that my game idea would surely be ok. Just need to implement the thing into Unity or Unreal engine. Nice story in it too.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 VR edition. I have the full game so I spent some yen to get the VR version. You can look at the girls walking/posing in VR which shows how well they are actually modelled, or how badly some parts are. Surprisingly ok but it's lacking in the "what to actually do" department because you can't play VR volleyball which is a damn shame, damn damn shame, and the controls are very clunky and options are very limited. I don't even know why there is a floating controller ball if you press R1. I bet they will make some fully fledged feature VR game.

Rez infinite was also good but the demo is so short that I did not really feel it yet. Want to see that one stage everyone raves about.

Battlezone sense of scale was way bigger than I though. A really good feeling and super tight controls. Absolutely I want to know if it is worth the asking price? I kind of dig it for what it is.

Mostly, I felt no sickness with the headset although Driveclub gave me a weird feeling when moving sideways.

Collection of quick thoughts. Not really organised but I like my VR in general like I always have. (not in the 90's but in the 2015+ era)

Grinchy

Banned
Rez infinite was also good but the demo is so short that I did not really feel it yet. Want to see that one stage everyone raves about.

For what it's worth, I thought the demo was incredibly boring. I had no interest in the full game because of it. I got a free copy from some giveaway and tried it out one day with no expectations and liked it a lot.

I've played a decent amount of it since and will keep going back to it. It is very cool and very fun. But, keep in mind that that's coming from someone who got it for free.

dofry

I still have 10 days with the headset so lets see what I will buy. It's good to have that discount extravaganza right now. Still have time to choose one more game with the schedule I have these days..

ISee

I still have 10 days with the headset so lets see what I will buy. It's good to have that discount extravaganza right now. Still have time to choose one more game with the schedule I have these days..

Star Trek Bridge Crew is a fantastic Co-Op VR experience, even with random people (for the mist part). I can't stop praising the game enough.

dofry

Star Trek Bridge Crew is a fantastic Co-Op VR experience, even with random people (for the mist part). I can't stop praising the game enough.

I saw the trailer but what do you do with other random people? are they on the same bridge or other ships?

I played through the entire game last night in about an hour to get the 'Whats wrong with you?' trophy :)

https://youtu.be/6az8VAKL62s

Once you've gone through it the first time you get used to how things work - blocking bullets with your gun or slicing them with a knife, waiting till someone is close enough to grab their gun when you kill them etc and don't shoot until you're sure their bullets will miss you as shooting speeds up time while your bullet is in motion.

ISee

I saw the trailer but what do you do with other random people? are they on the same bridge or other ships?

4 players (bridge crew) controll one star trek ship. There are 4 stations on the bridge. Helm: steers the ship. Tactical: Manages weapons and scaning. Engineering: Repairs the ship and manages energy. Captain: Holds everthing together and is the only one with detailed info abour all ship systems. Then there is system intrusion and beaming which can be performed either by helm, tactical or engineering.
Each station isn't complicated to handle, but working together and communication is nassacary because each station has only access to specific information and functions. For example only helm and the captain have informations about the detection radius (the area where enmy ships are able to detect your ship) and going into 'stealth' to sneak through enemie lines is often vital. The move controlls are very well done and seeing other people working on their own terminals in real time while the ship is under fire and shilds begin to fail is awesome. Playing the game feels like sitting on a star trek holodeck.

ACG's detailed review with lots of gameplay (mostly SP though):
https://youtu.be/2rIOeb9LfJg

dofry

4 players (bridge crew) controll one star trek ship. There are 4 stations on the bridge. Helm: steers the ship. Tactical: Manages weapons and scaning. Engineering: Repairs the ship and manages energy. Captain: Holds everthing together and is the only one with detailed info abour all ship systems. Then there is system intrusion and beaming which can be performed either by helm, tactical or engineering.
Each station isn't complicated to handle, but working together and communication is nassacary because each station has only access to specific information and functions. For example only helm and the captain have informations about the detection radius (the area where enmy ships are able to detect your ship) and going into 'stealth' to sneak through enemie lines is often vital. The move controlls are very well done and seeing other people working on their own terminals in real time while the ship is under fire and shilds begin to fail is awesome. Playing the game feels like sitting on a star trek holodeck.

ACG's detailed review with lots of gameplay (mostly SP though):
https://youtu.be/2rIOeb9LfJg

Oooh, that sounds real nice...I wish my friends would have this but I couldnt get them to even try Everybody talks, no one explodes.

Battlezone sense of scale was way bigger than I though. A really good feeling and super tight controls. Absolutely I want to know if it is worth the asking price? I kind of dig it for what it is.

One of my top VR recommendations, it's been and might be currently on sale for about 20$ too, so really good pick up for a longer VR game with tons of replay value.

It's also in the Resident Evil 7 -category of being a "normal game" that VR just enhances tenfold.

I played through the entire game last night in about an hour to get the 'Whats wrong with you?' trophy :)

https://youtu.be/6az8VAKL62s

Once you've gone through it the first time you get used to how things work - blocking bullets with your gun or slicing them with a knife, waiting till someone is close enough to grab their gun when you kill them etc and don't shoot until you're sure their bullets will miss you as shooting speeds up time while your bullet is in motion.

Hardest bit I have found so far is the headshot only challenge. When you have the handguns it is easy but when it is uzi or shotgun it makes it much harder. I have finished the main game and hard core challenge. I got to round eleven on my first attempt of the don't die challenge straight after finishing the game so that doesn't seem too hard either.

MattAces

Follia Dear Father coming to PSVR

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEFsvNOWXY
Info: https://www.realgamemachine.com/games

1c8776_765ed4e1023e455e878aeade3713bc56.png

A Horror That Will make you wanting to play over and over again!
Three levels of difficulties to play. Also suitable for Hardcore Gamer.
Different characterisations and behaviours for each enemy.
Environmental Enigmas that will include Backtracking phases.
Immersive story with narrative insights.
An artistic section that will make you lose yourself into the horror of the Frederick Fidelity University.
More: https://www.realgamemachine.com/press-kit

Hardest bit I have found so far is the headshot only challenge. When you have the handguns it is easy but when it is uzi or shotgun it makes it much harder. I have finished the main game and hard core challenge. I got to round eleven on my first attempt of the don't die challenge straight after finishing the game so that doesn't seem too hard either.

I've not tried Headshot only yet but yeah I can see that being a swine - the only other mode I've touched on so far are the endless ones which are brilliant (like the final stage) but damn hard to get some of those numbers.

Top Bottom