• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Zigroid

Neo Member
Maybe, but that might mess up a lot of people who don’t have room for the game plus saves if it’s really 2 1/2 times the size they expect it to be.
Speaking of which, if I just plug in a 1 tb usb drive and format it as storage, is that same as having 2 tb storage? Will everything just show up on the main screen or do I have to switch drives to get to the stuff stored there? I’m a PS newb, in case you haven’t guessed. :)

Experien

What’s up with the PS online store? The size they give for a download rarely matches the actual size. I started dL’ing COD WW2 this morning... the store says it’s 48 gb but it’s really 108 gb. There have been discrepancies before, but never this bad. Why would they do this?

It is bogus.

I've been fighting this battle forever, most people on reddit think it is nothing and other say just get an external HDD. But here is how it works out.

The store says how big space you need on you HDD. It DOESN'T say what you need to DL the file. You need DOUBLE the size of the file in order for the DL to unpack and install on the HDD.

What makes matters worse is that update files sometimes need the game to be reinstalled again so that is why sometimes they won't install unless you have double the file size on you HDD.

Last caveat, the PS4 needs X amount of room on to function. So you need 40-50gb of space to function so I am at a point that I have to DL anything if I plan to update anything. This is why I deleted and sold DOOM. That game took up 80+GB of space thanks to the multiplayer. I am wondering if I should keep or sell Division cause that is 50-70GB. All that uncompressed audio and non-cleaned up source files.

Zigroid

Neo Member
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense if you’re Sony, but it sucks if you’re just a customer. Im already deleting things on my hdd that I don’t want to delete. Thus my question above about an external drive.

Any word on a western release for the HDR supported PSVR?

The way my gaming centre is set up makes jumping into VR too much of a hassle.

RavageX

I really love the fact VR is being so heavily supported, I just wish I wasn't so broke so that I could support it more.

Zigroid

Neo Member
Especially without a wheel. Regardless of the missing features, that would be a letdown. I’d like to get a racing game (doesn’t have to be gt), but I don’t want to either have to spend more $$$ on another peripheral that’s only good for a specialized purpose or have a 2nd rate experience. Racing with a ds4 would be like driving drunk, at least for me. Flying, on the other hand, I’d definitely buy a stick-rudder combo for the right game, even if it wasn’t as fully featured as I’d like.

Grinchy

Banned
Especially without a wheel. Regardless of the missing features, that would be a letdown. I’d like to get a racing game (doesn’t have to be gt), but I don’t want to either have to spend more $$$ on another peripheral that’s only good for a specialized purpose or have a 2nd rate experience. Racing with a ds4 would be like driving drunk, at least for me. Flying, on the other hand, I’d definitely buy a stick-rudder combo for the right game, even if it wasn’t as fully featured as I’d like.

I was ready to buy one of those for War Thunder, but the PSVR mode never came out.

Then there's Eve Valkyrie and maybe Ace Combat 7 that it could use as well. I'm not sure on AC7.

Zigroid

Neo Member
I want something like IL-2, Pacific Fighters, or the X-universe games for PSVR. AC7 is a little arcadey for me, but I’m looking forward to it anyway.

Grinchy

Banned
lol Dead Hungry is hilarious. I'm almost sweating after beating the first 10 levels. It plays extremely well and is way more fun than I thought it would be based on the trailer. You're just constantly pre-occupied with building food for the incoming zombies.

I just wish I knew that the item unlocks were a one-time use. I have a feeling I'm going to get really far and have to reset my progress because I didn't save a tear gas onlon or something for a level that needs it. I saw an option for resetting your save file, so I guess that's just part of what they were going for.

wondermega

goonergaz

Maybe, but that might mess up a lot of people who don't have room for the game plus saves if it's really 2 1/2 times the size they expect it to be.
Speaking of which, if I just plug in a 1 tb usb drive and format it as storage, is that same as having 2 tb storage? Will everything just show up on the main screen or do I have to switch drives to get to the stuff stored there? I'm a PS newb, in case you haven't guessed. :)

No, you have 2 drives - the internal for all games saves and video recordings/pics etc and external for games only. Worth noting that you can't choose which drive to save to so everything will download to external if it's plugged in - bit of a pain if (like me) you have an SSD in your console, means I'm still juggling games with the most used on internal...in fact I now have a dedicated external HDD for VR only games - means if I want to take the VR anywhere I can just take the drive with me and it's all plug and go :)

Zigroid

Neo Member
Appreciate the reply, that’s kinda what I picked up from google. And I’m guessing a 2 tb drive used as a backup will copy both drives seamlessly.

Havent seen many complaints here about the black screen issue. Evert single time I use my Ps4 Pro, the screen turns black for about 2 seconds. This happens once or twice within the first ten minutes, including when Im playing non-VR games. I dont know how many times Ive died in Battlefield 1 because of this.

I tried changing the hdcp to 1.4 and even disabling it in the settings, but it hasnt helped.

Are all PSVRs like this or is there something wrong with my unit?

ffvorax

Havent seen many complaints here about the black screen issue. Evert single time I use my Ps4 Pro, the screen turns black for about 2 seconds. This happens once or twice within the first ten minutes, including when Im playing non-VR games. I dont know how many times Ive died in Battlefield 1 because of this.

I tried changing the hdcp to 1.4 and even disabling it in the settings, but it hasnt helped.

By when I have a PRO I have this "black screen" sometimes when I start using my PSVR, but it happens in the first 10 minutes of play or never. But never happened to me during non VR, actually I think on my side the problem is the plug of the Visor that is a bit loose...

CyberChulo

No, you have 2 drives - the internal for all games saves and video recordings/pics etc and external for games only. Worth noting that you can't choose which drive to save to so everything will download to external if it's plugged in - bit of a pain if (like me) you have an SSD in your console, means I'm still juggling games with the most used on internal...in fact I now have a dedicated external HDD for VR only games - means if I want to take the VR anywhere I can just take the drive with me and it's all plug and go :)

You can't select which drive to download to but you can set the default in the settings menu as a workaround if you want to download a game to the internal drive.

By when I have a PRO I have this "black screen" sometimes when I start using my PSVR, but it happens in the first 10 minutes of play or never. But never happened to me during non VR, actually I think on my side the problem is the plug of the Visor that is a bit loose...

Thats weird, for me it happens every single time Im playing a non-VR game.

Ish77

Neo Member
Thats weird, for me it happens every single time Im playing a non-VR game.

Same for me...it happens all the time for me when I'm playing non-VR games. Lately, I've just been disconnecting the HDMI cords in the back of the processor unit and run it directly to the PS4 Pro to avoid that issue, and also see some of the games in HDR (BF1 & Horizon).

Same for me...it happens all the time for me when I'm playing non-VR games. Lately, I've just been disconnecting the HDMI cords in the back of the processor unit and run it directly to the PS4 Pro to avoid that issue, and also see some of the games in HDR (BF1 & Horizon).

My 4K tv has fake HDR (8 bit, no WCG), so although some games look good with it (Horizon, Uncharted) it looks bad in other games like BF1 and The Last Guardian, so I dont care so much about HDR, the biggest problem is the black screen issue.

Awesome thank you..Ive never used PSVR before..I have eye issues should I wear my glasses while using it? Ive always wanted to get this but reading how some people get nauseated from it, etc gave me pause about buying it..but Skyrim looks amazing

That's a YMMV thing, before you drop $400+ you may wish to demo it somewhere to get a general sense for how you react to it.

Awesome thank you..Ive never used PSVR before..I have eye issues should I wear my glasses while using it? Ive always wanted to get this but reading how some people get nauseated from it, etc gave me pause about buying it..but Skyrim looks amazing

Games where you move around will definitely make you sick. So stay away from Skyrim VR, Farpoint, Drive club VR, Resident Evil 7 from the begining. Focus on games where your standing still like Job Simulator or Tumble VR.

Zigroid

Neo Member
I wear glasses while using it, and I’ve never felt the slightest bit nauseous, it always just “looks right”.
There are a couple of things to be aware of, though... my reading glasses work well for me (distance glasses are blurry), and big frames are more likely to actually touch the glass in the headset and scratch it if you’re not careful, so I got a pair of reading glasses with the thinnest frames I could find, and I use those just for PSVR. There are a lot of complaints about glasses scratching the lenses, but if you’re careful you won’t have a problem. The main thing is, once you get it settled on your head, use the tightening knob on the back of the headset to keep it from shifting into your glasses.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've had my eyes on a PSVR set for a while now and I don't have the camera or move controllers so the Skyrim bundle interests me greatly. I love Skyrim and it seems like it would be a lot of fun to play in VR. Glad to hear it's the upgraded model.

Also I'm kinda looking forward to that Final Fantasy fishing game that's coming out. I also have RE7 and with PS+ they're giving out a few games this month too.

Might be time.

I wear glasses while using it, and I’ve never felt the slightest bit nauseous, it always just “looks right”.
There are a couple of things to be aware of, though... my reading glasses work well for me (distance glasses are blurry), and big frames are more likely to actually touch the glass in the headset and scratch it if you’re not careful, so I got a pair of reading glasses with the thinnest frames I could find, and I use those just for PSVR. There are a lot of complaints about glasses scratching the lenses, but if you’re careful you won’t have a problem. The main thing is, once you get it settled on your head, use the tightening knob on the back of the headset to keep it from shifting into your glasses.

Will check out the Demo at best buy or maybe gamestop..Ive messed around with my brother in laws Samsung VR and it seemed OK to me didnt cause me any issues but will wait and see..dont want to blow so much money and end up having to return it. I have two pairs of glasses, one for everyday use and one for computer use. I have double vision(I dont see EVERYTHING double just things close to me) and I might have glaucoma its not confirmed though I hope not..Im young but we have a family history of it so have to do some more tests.

Zigroid

Neo Member
The first couple of times it might take a little fiddling and adjusting to get it right, but after a little while you get the hang of putting it on and know just what's best for you.
Good luck with your tests and the PSVR.

FDC1

The new demo collection is available on the EU stores. It's 15Gb and includes demos of the following games:

Battlezone®
EVE: Valkyrie
Moss
Star Child
The Persistence
Thumper
Tiny Trax
Dino Frontier
Fantastic Contraption
Job Simulator
Raw Data
Rez Infinite

wondermega

Ooof. Finally gave Raw Data a shot the other night, it'd been sitting downloaded on my drive for some weeks. Game seemed interesting enough, but the 360 degree gameplay felt particularly hampered by the technical limitations (forward facing camera). I'd constantly physically turn and then lose my ability to engage properly (arms freaking out due to tracking loss). Pressing the "turn" button in the heat of intense combat feels like a lame substitute to me. Should I bother with the Vive version, after already spending money on this?

Grinchy

Banned
Ooof. Finally gave Raw Data a shot the other night, it'd been sitting downloaded on my drive for some weeks. Game seemed interesting enough, but the 360 degree gameplay felt particularly hampered by the technical limitations (forward facing camera). I'd constantly physically turn and then lose my ability to engage properly (arms freaking out due to tracking loss). Pressing the "turn" button in the heat of intense combat feels like a lame substitute to me. Should I bother with the Vive version, after already spending money on this?

This is why I'm looking forward to the demo. Dropping $40 on some very differing opinions on the game doesn't seem like something I want to do without trying it myself.

The new demo collection is available on the EU stores. It's 15Gb and includes demos of the following games:

Battlezone®
EVE: Valkyrie
Moss
Star Child
The Persistence
Thumper
Tiny Trax
Dino Frontier
Fantastic Contraption
Job Simulator
Raw Data
Rez Infinite

The bolded games above were already in the first Demo Collection.. why repeat them?

Bluecondor

I am looking forward to the new PSVR demo disc - vol. 2 which is supposedly being released in the next few days.

I want to try the demos for Moss, Dino Frontier, The Persistence and Raw Data.

I saw on Youtube that the demo is 16 Gb, which will take a few minutes to download, but being able to try these games is well worth it (especially since it is free).

I am looking forward to the new PSVR demo disc - vol. 2 which is supposedly being released in the next few days.

I want to try the demos for Moss, Dino Frontier, The Persistence and Raw Data.

I saw on Youtube that the demo is 16 Gb, which will take a few minutes to download, but being able to try these games is well worth it (especially since it is free).

FYI its also already available in NA :p

Is no one else having the black screen issue? Would really appreciate more PSVR owners giving their experiences.

Top Bottom