• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The first day I played VR included a lot of Job Simulator. After looking into the virtual computer screen so much in the office setting, taking the headset off and looking at my actual computer screen felt so damn weird. The screen looked so wrong to me.
That is you waking up.
Reality is fake

So bummed that I missed out on the sales. I was scrambling trying to raise the funds to get the base model at $199.99 and now it's back to $299.99. REALLY hoping they drop the price again one more time before Christmas, but I'm guessing they won't.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah I know what you mean! kind of felt like I was still in VR when I took my headset off after my first long session as it was so immersive.

I remember thinking as I had the headset it wasn't as admersive as I thought, then I took it off and I standing in my living room and I was like.... I forgot where I was.

So I guess I was wrong.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The first day I played VR included a lot of Job Simulator. After looking into the virtual computer screen so much in the office setting, taking the headset off and looking at my actual computer screen felt so damn weird. The screen looked so wrong to me.

I LOVE these stories!!! This was me 13 months ago. I was playing Thumper in VR and seeing the stages in real life for like 3 hours after I took the headset off. It was trippy and I got scared. :-/

I LOVE these stories!!! This was me 13 months ago. I was playing Thumper in VR and seeing the stages in real life for like 3 hours after I took the headset off. It was trippy and I got scared. :-/

I can't say I had that kind of experience. My most 'whoa' experience in VR so far( out of the little I've been exposed to) was actually the black loading screens in the VR worlds demo. You really got the sense that you were in a dark area with infinite space, was kinda unsettling...the cinema mode gave a similar feeling as well in the area around the virtual screen.

philm87

My brother came round to try the headset out, playing Skyrim and London Heist. He was so spaced out afterwards it was a bit weird, like he was high.

thegreatwb

Neo Member
Hey guys. What's a good cheap game that will help me earn my vr legs? I've tried playing resident evil in VR but I can't play more than 15 minutes without getting severely sick and sweaty.

MultiCore

Hey guys. What's a good cheap game that will help me earn my vr legs? I've tried playing resident evil in VR but I can't play more than 15 minutes without getting severely sick and sweaty.
Rush of blood.
Thumper.
Bound.
Play all the demo disc games. Push yourself a bit, then relax for a while.

It took me a long time, but I'm now playing Skyrim with all the comfort settings off.

thegreatwb

Neo Member
Rush of blood.
Thumper.
Bound.

It took me a long time, but I'm now playing Skyrim with all the comfort settings off.

Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to get used to VR?

RavageX

Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to get used to VR?

I think that varies really. I feel it didn't take me log at all, but I jumped in, turned off comfort settings and would just stop when I felt sick.

I would purposely drive slow in VR, just take my time in general then ramp things up bit by bit.

Best to play sitting at first too.

I can usually play 2 or 3 hours before I feel I should stop. (With Skyrim)

thegreatwb

Neo Member
I think that varies really. I feel it didn't take me log at all, but I jumped in, turned off comfort settings and would just stop when I felt sick.

I would purposely drive slow in VR, just take my time in general then ramp things up bit by bit.

Best to play sitting at first too.

I can usually play 2 or 3 hours before I feel I should stop. (With Skyrim)

I really appreciate all of the help. I was standing when I was playing so maybe that was part of it. I'll give it another go again tonight on Rush of Blood and see where it goes from here. Thanks again.

MultiCore

I really appreciate all of the help. I was standing when I was playing so maybe that was part of it. I'll give it another go again tonight on Rush of Blood and see where it goes from here. Thanks again.
RoB is great because the coaster gets faster in each level. It's a great way to start getting used to the motion.

I play sitting down. I want to play for longer than I can stand, lol.

If you're prone to motion sickness, you may never get over VR sickness, but it's definitely worth your time to try and slowly build up your tolerance.

Good luck!

thegreatwb

Neo Member
RoB is great because the coaster gets faster in each level. It's a great way to start getting used to the motion.

I play sitting down. I want to play for longer than I can stand, lol.

If you're prone to motion sickness, you may never get over VR sickness, but it's definitely worth your time to try and slowly build up your tolerance.

Good luck!

It's crazy because I've been gaming since 1989 and this is the first platform that I've ever had a problem on. I've never had motion sickness or epilepsy playing the game before this.

T-0800

Hard to know as everyone is different. I've had my headset for a week but I've played all types of games and nothing has made me feel even the slightest bit sick.

I did the this day 1 with no issues at all. Just lucky I guess.

philm87

It's crazy because I've been gaming since 1989 and this is the first platform that I've ever had a problem on. I've never had motion sickness or epilepsy playing the game before this.

It's not crazy at all. When you're playing on a TV or monitor your brain is very aware that you are sat in a room. When you use a VR headset it creates the illusion in your brain that you are moving about, but your body is actually still, so this miss match is what can make you feel ill. It's the opposite to when you're in a vehicle and you're not looking out the window (looking down at your phone etc.), your body is moving but your brain can't see why/where.

Rush of blood.
Thumper.
Bound.

I wouldnt recommend those games as your entire view is moving creating the motion sickness.

He should focus on games like Statik, Job Simulator, I Expect you to Die, where your standing still.

gmoran

It's not crazy at all. When you're playing on a TV or monitor your brain is very aware that you are sat in a room. When you use a VR headset it creates the illusion in your brain that you are moving about, but your body is actually still, so this miss match is what can make you feel ill. It's the opposite to when you're in a vehicle and you're not looking out the window (looking down at your phone etc.), your body is moving but your brain can't see why/where.

I've been thinking about what actually happens to how you think when you are in VR, in particular for me some moments in games have been literally utterly terrifying—different to be scared like when you watch a scary movie—more like: I'm actually going to die from this horrific situation.

So VR is not like being somewhere else: when I play Skyrim I don't think I'm in Skyrim, my consciousness knows I'm in VR playing a game; but I think something else is happening as well: your unconsciousness does think you are in a different real place. your unconscious brain is behaving as though large elements of your sensory input are actually real, i.e. the bits of your brain that calculate trajectories are treating the world as a real 3D place.

This is why in Farpoint, when I get careless and let a Brute get close to me and it starts attacking me, I behave like I'm really being ripped apart by a 10 foot space spider and uncontrollably scream and shriek (and it feels like its beyond my control). Also because being attacked by aforementioned space spider is a serious risk you brain prioritises that feeling over your conscious knowledge of just playing a game.

In Skyrim I'm finding fighting the dragons when they are in close proximity on the ground, especially when they start advancing on you, somewhat uncomfortable. And this time I can't blame my arachnophobia: its not as intense as with spiders, but there is still this deep unsettling feeling that I'm in mortal danger. Its awesome!

breakfuss

Yea so, former skeptic here. Got in on one of the BF deals and am absolutely loving this thing. Haven’t had a chance to play all the games I got with it but as far as motion sickness is concerned I’m pleased that it’s only been one game that did me in. And that game is Skyrim. Yooo lol, I was literally layed out on my bed after only 15 minutes with it. Never again.

Any recent info on units sold? I remember early summer Sony claimed they had crossed the million sold units mark, and that was with supply pretty constrained post-launch up till about February. Think 2 million has been crossed by now? 2.5?

philm87

Any recent info on units sold? I remember early summer Sony claimed they had crossed the million dollar mark, and that was with supply pretty constrained post-launch up till about February. Think 2 million has been crossed by now? 2.5?

That was 1 million units sold, not dollars. Back in the summer they had sold 50% more units than the Vive and Rift combined. Imagine they must've shipped a fair few from the Black Friday deal.

That was 1 million units sold, not dollars. Back in the summer they had sold 50% more units than the Vive and Rift combined. Imagine they must've shipped a fair few from the Black Friday deal.

Sorry, I put units 'sold' in my first sentence, didn't mean a million 'dollars' in the next line. My bad :), I'll edit that now..

Fahro

I got one and tried it out yesterday for the first time. First a bit of the RE demo. I bought the full game as well but wanted to try a few smaller games first. What are the recommended settings in RE for VR? I played an hour of rush ob blood. Weird how real the movement in the roller-coaster feels

Grinchy

Banned
I got one and tried it out yesterday for the first time. First a bit of the RE demo. I bought the full game as well but wanted to try a few smaller games first. What are the recommended settings in RE for VR? I played an hour of rush ob blood. Weird how real the movement in the roller-coaster feels

I really think you should turn on the smooth movement in the options for RE7. And turn off the FOV slider/filter. Whatever they call it in that game.

If you have any kind of major issues, only then should you turn that comfort stuff on. Snap turns, FOV blinders, ect aren't meant for people who have no problems in VR. If you need those options, it's good that they're there, but they just make it feel terrible for the majority of people who have no issues in VR.

Gold_Loot

Yea so, former skeptic here. Got in on one of the BF deals and am absolutely loving this thing. Haven’t had a chance to play all the games I got with it but as far as motion sickness is concerned I’m pleased that it’s only been one game that did me in. And that game is Skyrim. Yooo lol, I was literally layed out on my bed after only 15 minutes with it. Never again.
I love reading posts like these. Welcome and congratulations!

Don’t feel too bad about Skyrim though, that bouncy downhill cart ride is indeed pretty rough, even for a lot of vets. I think it’s due to how the game just jumps into it without warning.

Keep playing though. You’re gonna be Pro in no time.

Fahro

I really think you should turn on the smooth movement in the options for RE7. And turn off the FOV slider/filter. Whatever they call it in that game.

If you have any kind of major issues, only then should you turn that comfort stuff on. Snap turns, FOV blinders, ect aren't meant for people who have no problems in VR. If you need those options, it's good that they're there, but they just make it feel terrible for the majority of people who have no issues in VR.

Thanks, I’ll try it out later!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Tried out Until Dawast night and it's the first game to really give me issues. Am I supposed to play it standing up?

Tried out Until Dawast night and it's the first game to really give me issues. Am I supposed to play it standing up?

I assume you are supposed to play it seated like you are sitting in a roller coaster or mine cart. I have only played the demo but I didn't have any issues with the controls. Camera is about 5 feet away and about seated eye-height.

Fahro

I assume you are supposed to play it seated like you are sitting in a roller coaster or mine cart. I have only played the demo but I didn't have any issues with the controls. Camera is about 5 feet away and about seated eye-height.

Yeah, played it five minutes ago. You are supposed to sit.

FDC1

I played the first 30mn of Doom with aim controller and free roaming, it felt good, no problem. I just got a bug at the end of the 1st level, got stuck at a black screen, I had to reload my save.

wondermega

I played the first 30mn of Doom with aim controller and free roaminh, it felt good, no problem. I just got a bug at the end of the 1st level, got stuck at a black screen, I had to reload my save.
Damn, I think this is the first Doom VR impression I've heard in here! Very excited to pick this up. Side note, I've never played any version of Doom before.. and I'm 42!

Grinchy

Banned
Can't wait for Doom to come tomorrow. Definitely trying it with the Aim first. It's been a while since I've used it.

pachura

Myself, I only had glimps of nausea during fast acceleration/climb/fall moments. Fortunately, they are pretty rare, often in the beginning/end of each level, and for most of the time your wagon is moving with a constant, reasonable speed.

PS. Sitting.

Hi, I jumped on the back Friday Skyrim bundle deal and am now eagerly awaiting the package to arrive. One thing I’m wondering now is how does motion sickness feel? I never had issues being on a boat, Roller coaster or car. Am I getting dizzy like sitting on an office chair and going in circles or is more like a „I drank too much and am about to throw up“?

philm87

Hi, I jumped on the back Friday Skyrim bundle deal and am now eagerly awaiting the package to arrive. One thing I’m wondering now is how does motion sickness feel? I never had issues being on a boat, Roller coaster or car. Am I getting dizzy like sitting on an office chair and going in circles or is more like a „I drank too much and am about to throw up“?

I felt a little bit weird initially but it soon passed. Didn't feel like I would be sick. If you've ever felt funny when your a passenger in a car after trying to read a book or look at your phone, then that's the nearest to the feeling you get.

pachura

If you've ever felt funny when your a passenger in a car after trying to read a book or look at your phone, then that's the nearest to the feeling you get.
Or when you're in the back seat and the driver brakes suddenly...
an unpleasant cold wave, sometimes combined with cold sweat and a mild headache.

Fortunately, I only experience VR sickness in:
- Driveclub VR (heavy)
- VR Luge (heavy)
- Scavanger's Odyssey (light)
- Unti Dawn Rush of Blood (only when accelerating going uphill/downhill)

No problem with other games, including the ones where you constantly move (Thumper, Rez Infinite) and with free movement (RE7, Farpoint).

philm87

Rigs felt really quite weird to begin with, but passed really quickly for me to the point where I'm pretty comfortable with all the comfort settings off. I'm pretty terrible at it though.

Dirt Rally and VR DLC are down to £14,49 on the UK PSN with PS Plus if anybody's interested. I'll be picking that up :) .

camo

Has anyone suffered (I'm going to name this right now as...) 'The Lean Effect'? I played Arizona sunshine for the first time the other day and for some reason felt compelled to play the game standing up (with the aim controller and free move setting). As soon as I walked forward I felt my whole body start to lean forwards as If gravity was pulling me in that direction. I stuck with it for half an hour hoping it would subside without any luck.

At one point I nearly fell face first into the TV!

When I returned to a seated position the phenomenon passed.

Grinchy

Banned
Has anyone suffered (I'm going to name this right now as...) 'The Lean Effect'? I played Arizona sunshine for the first time the other day and for some reason felt compelled to play the game standing up (with the aim controller and free move setting). As soon as I walked forward I felt my whole body start to lean forwards as If gravity was pulling me in that direction. I stuck with it for half an hour hoping it would subside without any luck.

hahaha yeah that is why I never used to stand up to play any games with artificial locomotion

That passed for me after a while. I can now stand for any games, but mostly choose to sit anyway.

philm87

When my brother used it he was playing Skyrim and tried to lean on a virtual table. Nearly went flying through my TV!

Kaversmed

https://youtu.be/HaWX0ib1Rss

Man did Sony undership the Skyrim bundle? These things were OOS before black friday and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one at $349 when they were readily available early last week. What are the odds of them doing another promotion before year end?

RavageX

This happens when I play Farpoint standing(I haven't gotten Arizona Sunshine yet, should i?), the game feels like I should be standing with the Aim controller, but I have that weird feeling, lol.

I don't really have the problem as much in Skyrim, I think maybe cause Farpoints graphics are better.

MultiCore

As soon as you guys can, share your DOOM VR experiences....I know you guys are getting it, lol.
Yeah, but stupid Amazon does their release day delivery with Ontrac, so I won't get my copy until like 730pm.

Garbage.

If it was FedEx, I'd have it by lunch.

/mad

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man did Sony undership the Skyrim bundle? These things were OOS before black friday and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one at $349 when they were readily available early last week. What are the odds of them doing another promotion before year end?

I expected they might, especially considering a lot of the news outlets were correctly reporting that it was the new model / revision of headset. A $100 discount on a product that was literally 2 days old at the time was pretty insane. I nabbed mine immediately when they went on sale and I'm glad I did.

It's definitely possible that some retailer will mark it down again before Christmas, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Sony doing it officially again before year's end. Keep an eye on sites like Newegg and Best Buy if you're in the US as they'll be the likely culprits. Best Buy also has promos like "Buy a $100 gift card, get $15 free" sometimes and those sorts of things that you could use to maximize a discount on a purchase this large.

Top Bottom