• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

tr00per

I'd probably go with Skyrim first, so far from what I'm hearing about doom it's so-so.

Inpatient is on my list, until a few positive mentions about Doom show up it's been moved down on my list.

That's what it's starting to look like for me too...

Grinchy

Banned
Doom has some issues but it’s actually quite cool. It’s the fastest VR game I’ve played. It’s a fast paced FPS in VR, which is exactly what I was hoping would exist but thought publishers would be too afraid to make. Hopefully they can fix the disturbingly awful Move controls, but it plays nicely with the Aim.

Wonko_C

People with Headphones that use an amp. What's the best way to use them on PSVR? I bought a Turtle Beach PX24 to use instead of the earplugs, and I know I have to disable Virtual Surround because the PSVR does its own 3D audio processing, but what about the amp? Should I plug the headphones to the amp before plugging them to the PSVR? Or do I just plug them directly?

MultiCore

People with Headphones that use an amp. What's the best way to use them on PSVR? I bought a Turtle Beach PX24 to use instead of the earplugs, and I know I have to disable Virtual Surround because the PSVR does its own 3D audio processing, but what about the amp? Should I plug the headphones to the amp before plugging them to the PSVR? Or do I just plug them directly?
You really need to find something you can plug in direct.

I've used my Beyer DT770s and several different IEMs, all work fine.

I mean, I'd love to hook up my HD 800S's and run the audio from my Jotunheim, but you can't always get what you want.

Grinchy

Banned
The Dawnguard storyline in Skyrim is so buggy. Serana is especially bad. I keep having to manually tell her to walk forward over and over again through caves just so she doesn't get stuck too far behind and bug out the quests. She gets lost and re-appears hours later on new quests, then gets lost again after going through a portal, ect.

chaocheebye

Neo Member
The Dawnguard storyline in Skyrim is so buggy. Serana is especially bad. I keep having to manually tell her to walk forward over and over again through caves just so she doesn't get stuck too far behind and bug out the quests. She gets lost and re-appears hours later on new quests, then gets lost again after going through a portal, ect.

that's the skyrim we know and love alright.

wondermega

Doom has some issues but it’s actually quite cool. It’s the fastest VR game I’ve played. It’s a fast paced FPS in VR, which is exactly what I was hoping would exist but thought publishers would be too afraid to make. Hopefully they can fix the disturbingly awful Move controls, but it plays nicely with the Aim.

You've nailed it, it IS quite fast for a PSVR experience. After another couple of sessions with it, I am a little more used to the controls etc (using AIM) and I am loving this game. One of the top of the year for me!

gmoran

Doom has some issues but it's actually quite cool. It's the fastest VR game I've played. It's a fast paced FPS in VR, which is exactly what I was hoping would exist but thought publishers would be too afraid to make. Hopefully they can fix the disturbingly awful Move controls, but it plays nicely with the Aim.

I didn't get on with using the Aim: I found the inertia movements on your in-game gun very distracting, and its more difficult to aim using Aim, particularly when your grenades get upgraded to the BFG launcher (your grenade launcher frequently crosses over your main gun). Doom 2016 was never designed for aim-down-sight and this shows very clearly in Doom VFR.

So switching to DS and most of these niggles disappear, at which point we end up with a very handsome , fast paced FPS with some excellent mechanics around teleport. Absolutely loving it.

And I'm still hopeful Bethesda may patch this up. Getting rid of Aim inertia movement and adding an option to allow grenades to be targeted via the Aim would be a huge improvement.

Wonko_C

You really need to find something you can plug in direct.

I've used my Beyer DT770s and several different IEMs, all work fine.

I mean, I'd love to hook up my HD 800S's and run the audio from my Jotunheim, but you can't always get what you want.

Ouch. I am stuck with these, no returns (total noob when it's about headphones). The TB website claims they work with PSVR but they don't mention if I have to plug them through the amp or not. I've searched everywhere but nada.

Ouch. I am stuck with these, no returns (total noob when it's about headphones). The TB website claims they work with PSVR but they don't mention if I have to plug them through the amp or not. I've searched everywhere but nada.

Yes unfortunately if you go through an amp, you lose the audio as it was designed for VR. I was going through an amp for my HD 650's and realized after not long that I wasn't getting the positional audio as intended.

Wonko_C

Yes unfortunately if you go through an amp, you lose the audio as it was designed for VR. I was going through an amp for my HD 650's and realized after not long that I wasn't getting the positional audio as intended.

I knew I should have followed my gut and purchased those cheaper Sony MDR-XB550AP, guess I fell prey to the "more expensive=better" trap again.

I tested them without the amp now, they sound way too flat: zero bass, explosions are weak, etc.

I knew I should have followed my gut and purchased those cheaper Sony MDR-XB550AP, guess I fell prey to the "more expensive=better" trap again.

I tested them without the amp now, they sound way too flat: zero bass, explosions are weak, etc.

Well I mean you have an amazing set of headphones there but yes for the sole purpose of VR, its not the best option, I also find mine flat without an amp in any situation and they are nowhere hear the level yours are. I have a separate set of IEM's I use for VR because the audio working as intended is a big part of the package.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Gosh I'm sad. Doom VFR just isn't good. The dual shock works better than the move controllers but it's still just not very fun.

RavageX

Gosh I'm sad. Doom VFR just isn't good. The dual shock works better than the move controllers but it's still just not very fun.

Is it better with the aim controller?

It's hard to get a read on this game, lots of different viewpoints.

Most say it's bad with the move controllers, mixed on the controller and the aim controller.

I'd probably only play with the aim, but I'm just not hearing enough good things so far. Should I get Arizona sunshine instead?

RavageX

I've been interested in star trek but haven't had time to look into it. Any good?

I have heard it's most fun with people online, and it looks that way too. Might be pretty boring solo. I'm also worried there's not enough content.

If I catch it on another sale I might get it, but my gut says to pass....and I am a star trek fan(to a point).

FDC1

Justice League VR: The Complete Experience is available in Europe, it's €9.99. Need more infos, it looks more to a cinematic experience than to a game. Not sure how long is it too.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Is it better with the aim controller?

It's hard to get a read on this game, lots of different viewpoints.

Most say it's bad with the move controllers, mixed on the controller and the aim controller.

I'd probably only play with the aim, but I'm just not hearing enough good things so far. Should I get Arizona sunshine instead?

Move controls just aren't good flat out. With a dual shock it better but the actual game just feels off. Don't have Aim so I can't comment.

Since you don't really.have free movement it feels really weird trying to dodge and manuaver. It makes me just want to play doom. Doesn't feel like the adapted the game for VR correctly.

Least that's my opinion.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You know you can choose to play with free movement with the dual shock ?

I did not. I'll have to try that. I figured it wasn't possible due to people getting sick.

Even still, free movement would only fix one of many issues.

MultiCore

I looked into it for you.

Looks like you can use it with or without the inline amp. It might be a touch on the quiet side without the amp, but try that first.

If you do use the amp, disable any of the processing that's not strictly EQ related. You can still make it sound fun, no harm there.

Should work fine.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't get on with using the Aim: I found the inertia movements on your in-game gun very distracting, and its more difficult to aim using Aim, particularly when your grenades get upgraded to the BFG launcher (your grenade launcher frequently crosses over your main gun). Doom 2016 was never designed for aim-down-sight and this shows very clearly in Doom VFR.

So switching to DS and most of these niggles disappear, at which point we end up with a very handsome , fast paced FPS with some excellent mechanics around teleport. Absolutely loving it.

And I'm still hopeful Bethesda may patch this up. Getting rid of Aim inertia movement and adding an option to allow grenades to be targeted via the Aim would be a huge improvement.
Yeah the way the gun floats along with your body is very strange and it would be nice if it got fixed. I just found the controls to be very good despite that. I was doing charged pistol shots form a distance right into small demon heads by using the gun sights. It felt nice. I didn't really bother aiming down the sites for other guns.

Wonko_C

I looked into it for you.

Looks like you can use it with or without the inline amp. It might be a touch on the quiet side without the amp, but try that first.

If you do use the amp, disable any of the processing that's not strictly EQ related. You can still make it sound fun, no harm there.

Should work fine.

So that means I can turn down VSS then dial Bass Boost up and I should have no issue? Thanks, I'll give a try.

RavageX

I was thinking of a control system that might work and that wouldn’t make people vomit..
How about if you have free head movement while walking, but when you press a button and hold it down the body would turn to what ever position your head is facing?

I think the snap turning is basically that.

pcostabel

Gold Member
I was thinking of a control system that might work and that wouldn’t make people vomit..
How about if you have free head movement while walking, but when you press a button and hold it down the body would turn to what ever position your head is facing?

How would you reorient your head? Unless your neck goes around 360 degrees that won't work.

DryvBy

I just finished playing DOOM VFR unpatched, and it's a mess due to the controls. Weird, because I found Skyrim VR to be near perfect (and even better with the patch). DOOM looks great, sounds great, plays great but the movement and turning just made me turn it off. I'm hoping it was just so bad because of me not installing the 10GB patch.

wondermega

I just finished playing DOOM VFR unpatched, and it's a mess due to the controls. Weird, because I found Skyrim VR to be near perfect (and even better with the patch). DOOM looks great, sounds great, plays great but the movement and turning just made me turn it off. I'm hoping it was just so bad because of me not installing the 10GB patch.
What's your control config

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe i missed something but how do you turn with move controllers on doom?

That's what everyone's complaining about. You can't. You literally cannot turn in a game with oval-shaped level design.

It's the Vive controls ported over. On Vive, you turn your entire body to whatever angle you need. You can't do that on PSVR b/c of the limited tracking. They just didn't feel like making Move controls that actually work.

MultiCore

That's what everyone's complaining about. You can't. You literally cannot turn in a game with oval-shaped level design.

It's the Vive controls ported over. On Vive, you turn your entire body to whatever angle you need. You can't do that on PSVR b/c of the limited tracking. They just didn't feel like making Move controls that actually work.
I'm still hoping they port the Skyrim controls over. That would be better than what they have now.

Darko

you can turn with the controller and aim though.. thats what ive been playing with.. they have 4 buttons for direction boost or whatever that is and no turn button ..ok. 😂

Grinchy

Banned
you can turn with the controller and aim though.. thats what ive been playing with.. they have 4 buttons for direction boost or whatever that is and no turn button ..ok. 😂
Yeah I’ve just played with the Aim. I was so letdown by the Move controls. I don’t know what they were thinking. They really thought those directional dashes were more important than the ability to turn. Just astounding.

philm87

That's kind of how it works on Here They Lie, there's a demo on the first demo disc.

Issue with that may be moving directly side to side in combat, although I'm sure this can be mapped to other buttons,

gmoran

Yeah the way the gun floats along with your body is very strange and it would be nice if it got fixed. I just found the controls to be very good despite that. I was doing charged pistol shots form a distance right into small demon heads by using the gun sights. It felt nice. I didn't really bother aiming down the sites for other guns.

I'm so hoping they update and do Aim support right. If they did it would be awesome.

If Vertigo Games can do this then Id and Bethesda can.

But also Doom VFR looks so good on PSVR (original PS4). What I really want them to do is DOOM 2016 in its entirety for PSVR optimised for Aim but dualshock compatible.

MDSLKTR

Anybody tried both GTsport and dirt rally vr? I guess dirt rally has a full career mode and gt is more of a tech demo, but which one is more immersive?

DryvBy

What's your control config

Default. I didn't see a lot of options when I looked honestly. Plus, it felt like my headset was slightly off and it wouldn't look forward.

Anybody tried both GTsport and dirt rally vr? I guess dirt rally has a full career mode and gt is more of a tech demo, but which one is more immersive?

Dirt Rally I couldn't even finish a race. It's because you're bouncing around and it just made me super sick (I haven't had lots of motion sickness ever until I tried that). GT Sport is super smooth. And you can race on every track and in every car. It's just limited to a 1v1 race though with no options.

Top Bottom