• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Wollan

Got Moss PSVR demo lined up today. All E3 PSVR demos booked up within 20 seconds of daily allotments open in app. Sick.

Shoeless

Oh shit, THAT'S how you navigate the PS4 menu with a move?

You're a life saver.

It was the same on the PS3, but since not many people actually got the Move controllers when they first launched last generation... Yeah, I guess it's not a well known trick.

Just bought PSVR and am experiencing some very fierce motion sickness in Farpoint. Is this one of those games that is heavily motion sickness inducing and is there still hope I'll get used to it, or am I screwed? I also notice it in that robot saving game from the Playroom VR, but not at all in the one where you shoot blocky aliens.

And another thing: I tend to get used to the screen door effect / bad resolution in those Playroom VR games, but so far not at all in Farpoint, are there tips to reduce this? Close up graphics are fine, but things farther away are pretty bad, makes me really focus on the pixels and just see jagged graphics behind that screen door.

In Farpoint and Resi 7 i use the 30 degrees turn feature, Moving is fine with the left analogue, But i cant deal with smooth turning so i switch it to 30 degrees snap and it works wonders, Also like someone said, I have a fan blowing on me which also helps the sweat build up.

iuuk

Big yes. You should be fine in a week or two. Any movement with thumbstick game will cause terrible nausea until you are used to it. That is the main reason why most games are still using teleportation, it's much easier to showcase, more user friendly but often VR veterans are used to it and they HATE teleportation.

I would say that locomotion games like Farpoint are not the best to start with. Get your 'VR legs' first. However there are different setting in Farpoints you could try them to see what works best for you.
Don't force it, if you are getting dizzy/motion sick stop right away. I would recommend to build up you 'immunity' first with fixed position games. The brain DOES get used to it in the vast majority of people. Start with short session and build them up.
Another trick, using a fan to blow air on your face/body does help for a lot of people. Personally for Farpoint, I also made back and forth/side to side motion to simulate walking while advancing in the first couples hours, that seemed to foul my brain enough to accept the full locomotion settings.
In Farpoint and Resi 7 i use the 30 degrees turn feature, Moving is fine with the left analogue, But i cant deal with smooth turning so i switch it to 30 degrees snap and it works wonders, Also like someone said, I have a fan blowing on me which also helps the sweat build up.

Ok, thanks. I'll stick with it then, because I do like the experience (that little play room shooter alone was pretty great).

As for the screen door effect, it's probably what people refer to the MURA effect that your are seeing. The mura effect is pronounced with PSVR especially in low light/dark scenes. It create a blury mess of dark 'brown' pixel. Hard to explain, look it up. People have recommended to decrease the brightness of the PSVR to decrease it (it's set to full brightness by default I believe).
Mura is part of the OLED screen 'drawback'. I think I've read somewhere that there is a decrease of it over time as the screen get 'broken-in' though I can't remember where I saw that so don't take it as a solid fact.
Certain game do have it more than other (minimal in Playroom, very pronounced in some screen of Rush of Blood or Ocean Descend demo)
Also screen door /= mura =/ resolution. If you are complaining about resolution which is actual pixel size then there is nothing much you can do. Some games have anti-aliasing effect to minimize it but it's 1080 divided in 2 eyes and won't get better until PSVR2.
Resolution never bother me in PSVR (I I play on a 720p TV). Most people will get so immerse they don't notice anymore but some people never get over it. I would focus more in 'being in the game' than what it looks like. You will never get as good resolution as you would get on your TV.

Makes sense. It wasn't necessarily the resolution I was complaining about, but, like 'screen door', it was a term to describe how Farpoint felt to me. It actually being the mura effect makes sence, considering 'blurry brown pixel mess' is exactly what I meant.
The (actual) screen door effect and resolution are still things that I notice, but I did get used to it in Playroom VR in about 5 minutes and was wondering why this wasn't the case in farpoint. I'll play with the settings (mostly brightness) to see if it improves.

So thanks again, I'll try and see what works for me as soon as I get more used to VR.

Gold_Loot

Ok, thanks. I'll stick with it then, because I do like the experience (that little play room shooter alone was pretty great).

Makes sense. It wasn't necessarily the resolution I was complaining about, but, like 'screen door', it was a term to describe how Farpoint felt to me. It actually being the mura effect makes sence, considering 'blurry brown pixel mess' is exactly what I meant.
The (actual) screen door effect and resolution are still things that I notice, but I did get used to it in Playroom VR in about 5 minutes and was wondering why this wasn't the case in farpoint. I'll play with the settings (mostly brightness) to see if it improves.

So thanks again, I'll try and see what works for me as soon as I get more used to VR.
Just remember to take things slow. Take breaks,Rest your eyes, and don't push yourself to play. It will pass, but some people may take longer than others.

When PSVR launched, me and my friend both bought our own. I was fine after a few hours, but him, poor guy spent the weekend on the couch sick as hell. But now, he can play that thing all day without any issues.

Just take it slow and you'll be fine.

SaiyanRaoh

Thanks to Sony's showing at this years 3, I'm going to pick one up in the next couple days. I already own an Oculus so motion sickness won't be a factor but I remember all the tracking issues in the beginning. That Giant Bomb look at the thing made an impression on me.
Has this issue and others been largely been fixed by Sony?

MattAces

Thanks to Sony's showing at this years 3, I'm going to pick one up in the next couple days. I already own an Oculus so motion sickness won't be a factor but I remember all the tracking issues in the beginning. That Giant Bomb look at the thing made an impression on me.

It was never a problem, just calibration + proper set up. There are a lot of tricks, but whatever GB is doing is directly opposite of what you should be doing to have an optimal tracking. It is not on par with Rift for sure, but it is NO WHERE near as bad as what they've shown. The Move controller did receive a tracking update though.

Cilidra

Skyrim VR pre-order (physical) is up on bestbuy.ca (Canada) today (was not up before).
I was able to apply my 20% E3 coupon to it, I believe it's the last day to use it too.

majik13

So if you are using the AIM controller for Arizona Sunshine, how does dual wielding guns work? or is that feature just removed if using AIM?

And if using 2 Moves, locomotion is done by holding the move button and that just moves you forward in the direction you are looking?

Cant be too hard to just implement a simple solution like... well use the move button to move forward and your headview is where you will go. Move button on other controller + head moves to right = turn right

It should be that simple, shouldn't it be?

You guys should check out Loading Human. As far as I know, it is the only game on PSVR that uses 2 Moves and has full on locomotion in first person view.

In that game, one Move controller is used to move around, and the other Move controller is used to turn. To move around, you point the Move controller there you want to go and hold Move button to walk there. To turn left, you point the other Move controller to the left and hold Move button to turn.

It took me a while to get used to this set up, but after an hour or two, I was able to walk around and turn simultaneously without much trouble. Obviously, it is still not as good as twin stick set up on DualShock, but it works. You get full on locomotion and motion controls.

I also think that Bethesda should do a crossbow class or something with full on Aim support.

MattAces

So if you are using the AIM controller for Arizona Sunshine, how does dual wielding guns work? or is that feature just removed if using AIM?

And if using 2 Moves, locomotion is done by holding the move button and that just moves you in the direction you are looking?

How is Aim controller implemented game still confuses people, they designed 11 new weapons for Aim controller, before the game begins it will automatically detect your controller choices, you won't be able to switch controller without going to the menu/quitting the game.
As for movement, one Move button will be used for moving forward, either towards the direction of your head or your controller, can be changed from settings. There's also 2 buttons for left/right degree rotation.

You guys should check out Loading Human. As far as I know, it is the only game on PSVR that uses 2 Moves and has full on locomotion in first person view.

In that game, one Move controller is used to move around, and the other Move controller is used to turn. To move around, you point the Move controller there you want to go and hold Move button to walk there. To turn left, you point the other Move controller to the left and hold Move button to turn.

It took me a while to get used to this set up, but after an hour or two, I was able to walk around and turn simultaneously without much trouble. Obviously, it is still not as good as twin stick set up on DualShock, but it works. You get full on locomotion and motion controls.

I also think that Bethesda should do a crossbow class or something with full on Aim support.

There are around 4 games, including Kill X demo.

majik13

How is Aim controller implemented game still confuses people, they designed 11 new weapons for Aim controller

Thanks, not sure I fully understand this sentence though... So if you use the AIM controller, you can ONLY use these 11 new weapons? None of these new weapons can be used with a Move? Can some of the original weapons that are used with the Move also be used with the AIM? Or only those 11 new weapons?

Edit:
Also speaking of VR locomotion without sticks, this sort of locomotion looks really fun. Obviously wouldnt work or make sense for most First Person games though, but I could see some funs games built around it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjmOWeISus4&feature=youtu.be

MattAces

Thanks, not sure I fully understand this sentence though... So if you use the AIM controller, you can ONLY use these 11 new weapons? None of these new weapons can be used with a Move? Can some of the original weapons that are used with the Move also be used with the AIM? Or only those 11 new weapons?

If you are playing with Aim controller, you can only find 11 of those new weapons throughout the game, all of them are shaped like Aim controller weapons and they will replace those original weapons used with Move.
If you are playing with Move, then you will be finding those original weapons like pistol.

Similar to Dick Wilde, Move controller covers burst fire shooting, machine gun, shot gun and grenade launcher. Aim controller also have all of those category but they are stronger since you will be firing from a single gun.

MattAces

I've been considering a PSVR setup. Is it worth getting the Pro for it, or is the experience still good on the slim?

The experience is really good on the standard/slim PS4 but slightly better on the Pro, at least for now. Moving forward, when they have more time to utilize the Pro, it will only get better.
If PSVR is something you plan on using/playing for the next year or two, Pro is definitely worth it. Or else just stick with your standard PS4, assuming you are already using it.
New owner getting into PS4? Just get the Pro.

Farpoint utilizes the Pro decently, I'm sure games like Skyrim VR, Raw Data, Arizona Sunshine and those heavy hitters will look much better on the Pro.

majik13

If you are playing with Aim controller, you can only find 11 of those new weapons throughout the game, all of them are shaped like Aim controller weapons and they will replace those original weapons used with Move.
If you are playing with Move, then you will be finding those original weapons like pistol.

Similar to Dick Wilde, Move controller covers burst fire shooting, machine gun, shot gun and grenade launcher. Aim controller also have all of those category but they are stronger since you will be firing from a single gun.

Got it thanks, I keep thinking it could have been cool if they made the AIM somehow, so that the forward grip could easily break off to be a second "Move with a stick" for your left hand. Or if the front grip was basically a slot for a standard Move controller that you could easily snap in and snap off on the fly. But the aim would still have the front analog stick there, that would go over this removable Move. Kinda hard to describe I guess. But obviously these designs could potentially cause some other issues; like added cost. And would require users to have at least 1 Move as well.
Basically something like this would allow the AIM to still support dual Move gameplay, with the added benefit of having dual analog sticks. So there wouldn't be any compromises when using AIM. But alas its too late and is just a pipe dream.

MattAces

I have heard about Kill X demo, but I have not tried it yet since I am in the U.S.

What are the other games?

Windlands showcased the usage of Move controller but haven't receive the official update.
Golem (whether it is cancelled or not) also uses Move controller with locomotion.
Kill X demo, Arizona Sunshine and of course Loading Human.

ElNino

I've been considering a PSVR setup. Is it worth getting the Pro for it, or is the experience still good on the slim?
The Pro does increase the visual clarity on most PSVR games, and it has a rear USB port for the breakout box so you won't need it connected to the front.

That being said, I still have yet to fix the drop out issues I was having on the Pro that were never present on the PS4, although I haven't played an PSVR game recently so it's possibly a system firmware could have helped there.

Windlands showcased the usage of Move controller but haven't receive the official update.
Golem (whether it is cancelled or not) also uses Move controller with locomotion.
Kill X demo, Arizona Sunshine and of course Loading Human.

Yeah, I am waiting on Move patch for Windlands. I played it for a bit but stopped when I heard that Move patch is in the works. I was already excited for Arizona Sunshine because of Aim support and full locomotion. I am now curious how they will handle Move support. I don't know much about Golem beyond the trailer. Sadly, it might be vaporware at this point.

Belker

It single player and 2 player co op only.

Thanks. I wonder if that's because the hardware can't handle four players, or the devs aren't able to get it working.

I'm looking for reasons to buy PSVR again, but two-player isn't compelling enough.

Incidentally, I have a prop poster from the original Total Recall. It's a 'wanted' poster for Kuato. They were made to put up around the set.

The Pro does increase the visual clarity on most PSVR games, and it has a rear USB port for the breakout box so you won't need it connected to the front.

That being said, I still have yet to fix the drop out issues I was having on the Pro that were never present on the PS4, although I haven't played an PSVR game recently so it's possibly a system firmware could have helped there.
Yeah I had to set HDMI from automatic to 1.4, and turn off HDCP when I play PSVR games on the Pro. That has solved most of my blackout issues but it's bizarre and a pain in the ass.

majik13

Thanks. I wonder if that's because the hardware can't handle four players, or the devs aren't able to get it working.

I'm looking for reasons to buy PSVR again, but two-player isn't compelling enough.

Incidentally, I have a prop poster from the original Total Recall. It's a 'wanted' poster for Kuato. They were made to put up around the set.

Lol nice.

As for Bravo Team, its essentially a single player Time Crisis type game, very linear supposedly, probably not a very long 'game' either. So its not really built for a multiplayer PvP experience. Multiplayer will basically be like the co op arcade Time Crisis games I'd imagine.

But yeah, I am hoping for a game like R6: Seige VR. And it looks like Special Forces could be that game. Hopefully it actually turns out good and actually releases in a timely manner as well.

panda-zebra

Banned
Screw that! I'm holding out hope for a discount if you purchased the PS4 version already.

XLQ3d7S.png

Best of luck but I can't see it :/

Just bought PSVR and am experiencing some very fierce motion sickness in Farpoint.

Turn on proper movement and set turn rate to 1 or 2. That's the most comfy setting for a VR newbie who tried mine. The default locomotion tied to view direction is weird and the graduated turn thing simply isn't fun - VR is all about immersion and keeping things natural helps whereas this stuff does nothing for it.

Wollan

Moss was really cool.

Reminds me of Chronos on Oculus but with a more interactive miniature world you can lean into.
Cool player/spirit + hero mouse dual relationship. Very pick up and play. Sword fights and puzzles.

Left stick always controls mouse, X for jump and Square for sword slash.
DualShock is tracked and combined with R2 for grabbing and pulling stuff is the spirit aspect. Simple.

bumpkin

Got Moss PSVR demo lined up today. All E3 PSVR demos booked up within 20 seconds of daily allotments open in app. Sick.
I'm jealous that you're trying it, but I would not even dare do a VR demo at an event like E3; especially when it's open to the public. I'm not a germaphobe or anything, but that is the very definition of a can of worms.

Briarios

I'm jealous that you're trying it, but I would not even dare do a VR demo at an event like E3; especially when it's open to the public. I'm not a germaphobe or anything, but that is the very definition of a can of worms.

I'm sure they wipe them down after every use

ryanofcall

Ever since I hooked up my PSVR to my PS4 every now and then the screen goes weird -
there's still sound and it happens at random. I watched a youtube livestream and it just happened again - after about 5 minutes it goes back to normal (or if I plug out VR and plug it back in). The VR is not even turned on when it happens (no idea if it happens with it on, because if I use it I'm usually wearing it.
Does anyone have that problem (and has a solution to fix it?)
k6d2xjC.jpg

Wollan

Would love to have gotten my hands on FF15 Monster of the Deep but that was not to be. Hope the final game has some longevity to it. It's a pretty good IP, tech & VR gameplay combination. Not surprised to see award(s) on wall.

Unfortunately the GT VR experience sounds like racing against 1 other car, offline only :-(

Yeah they said they are optimizing the main game for visuals and are only optimizing some tracks for VR :(

Shame really after Dirt VR for example has shown it works just fine for the whole game...

Chris_C

It was never a problem, just calibration + proper set up. There are a lot of tricks, but whatever GB is doing is directly opposite of what you should be doing to have an optimal tracking. It is not on par with Rift for sure, but it is NO WHERE near as bad as what they've shown. The Move controller did receive a tracking update though.

This is categorically not true. PSVR has tracking issues, and it's definitely a lot less reliable than the Rift and Vive.

I've tried every setup imaginable and still have issues with World Wobble (where the entire environment pulses in and out). It varies in intensity seemingly randomly, but tracking is probably the platform's Achilles heel.

That isn't to say it's not worth it, generally things work well enough for you to forget the issues and just enjoy the experience, but anyone who tells you PSVR doesn't have tracking issues is lying. Not all people seem to suffer as badly or at all, but it's an issue alright.

As MattAces stated, the controllers themselves got an update that vastly improved tracking accuracy. I wish they'd do something similar for the headset, but that hasn't happened.

As someone who started on a slim and moved to a Pro... I can't go back. If you have the money and love VR, go for it. The framerate experience is usually mostly the same, but the bump in image quality is immediately noticeable. It feels like going from 480p to 720p a lot of the time.

majik13

As of others have said, there is definitely a noticeable IQ boost. But getting one really depends on how much money you want to spend, and how important VR is to you. Obviously a Pro will also be good for non VR games as well.
But for me with a 1080p screen, the Pro has been more beneficial and noticeable on the PSVR.

I say get PSVR first, if thats what you want to do. And if you really like it, and want the best experience then go for a Pro.

Grinchy

Banned
Since the PS4 could never run Fallout 4 for VR, I'd love to see Fallout New Vegas VR.

I'd spend $60 without a single fuck given.

Some news update on Bravo Team
Confirmed the game is literally Time Crisis, you will choose cover spot and your character will run there, the rest of the covering mechanic is just depend on your movement, so hiding behind the walls and stuff.

This is the most Time Crisis game we will be getting.

Well damn, wish they'd used any other art style/setting then because I've been waiting for something like that. I guess I may have to get it anyway.

gpn

I put in over 100 hours on Skyrim PS3.

I've put in over 100 hours on Skyrim PS4.

I'm going to buy Skyrim VR.

Help.

On a side note, I wonder if Bethesda would be able to get Fallout 4 VR on PSVR if they could target only PS4 Pro.

Kumorin

Finally got around to playing Farpoint. o_O If this is the next step for VR, I’m all in. Shockingly good controls and the AIM is a godsend. I played in a swivel chair and it made turning while moving forward smooth and intuitive. I haven’t played with the movement options yet, so maybe there’s a better option than default for when you play in a standing position. I’ll probably try some out tomorrow. I usually suck at FPS but since I have some experience with real world guns, I dare say, I’m feeling pretty confident, armed and dangerous in the VR space.

Top Bottom