• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

iratA

Finally got around to playing Farpoint. o_O If this is the next step for VR, I’m all in. Shockingly good controls and the AIM is a godsend. I played in a swivel chair and it made turning while moving forward smooth and intuitive. I haven’t played with the movement options yet, so maybe there’s a better option than default for when you play in a standing position. I’ll probably try some out tomorrow. I usually suck at FPS but since I have some experience with real world guns, I dare say, I’m feeling pretty confident, armed and dangerous in the VR space.

Yep its a fantastic experience with the Aim, can't wait for more games to support it. CO-OP is quite a bit of fun as well, be sure to try it out if you haven't.

Grinchy

Banned
Has the drifting problem at launch been 100% completely solved or is this hardware stuck with it

There have been major improvements to the tracking in general. The drifting (where the view starts going to the left or right of center and has to be re-set a bunch of times with the options button) is still there and always will be.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm jealous that you're trying it, but I would not even dare do a VR demo at an event like E3; especially when it's open to the public. I'm not a germaphobe or anything, but that is the very definition of a can of worms.

Even if they didn't clean them the PSVR headset doesn't need to touch your face except your forehead.
I prefer for it to be against my face for FoV reasons, though.

Haven't played for a few nights and got on bridge crew tonight and had a blast cutting up and laughing with the crew, love this game and this headset so damn much.

Joystick

VZ Sensor Turns Any Exercise Bike Into a VR Workout Machine

A $400 VR exercise bike might be a tough sell for VirZOOM, but the company has a new option that could make working out in virtual reality more compelling. At E3 2017, the company is showing off its new VZ Sensor, a small device that attaches to the crank of any stationary bike. For $99, you can turn a bike that you may already have into a VR workout center.

In addition to working with PlayStation VR, HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, VirZOOM announced compatibility with the Samsung Gear VR this week.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/15/turn-any-stationary-bike-into-a-vr-workout-machine/
http://www.techspot.com/news/69734-turn-stationary-bike-workout-vr-adventure-small-sensor.html

An interesting peripheral. I wonder how it integrates with the PS4. Must be Bluetooth given that it works with mobile VR as well.

MattAces

Just watched Rom Extraction interview again, they said Aim controller allowed them to pretty much remake Rom into another game, it's so accurate and there's no judder, shaky or poor tracking, just perfect.
Rom Extraction was well known for being super polished on PC VR.
Weird that Farpoint is the only game with the shaky gun, even Dick Wilde Aim implementation is pretty much perfect.

DjRare

Neo Member
With the arrival of Skyrim VR, I ask myself a question about controls.

In your opinion, among these combinations, what is the best way to play a first person game on PS VR ?

XLZxmmN.jpg

ii1kWL2.jpg

M8THDi6.jpg

83KYPSw.jpg

Ideally if the game isn't on rails I'd prefer the navigation+move. If it's linear/on rails shooter two moves are fine.

With all games allowing the dual shock to be used

cakely

I've been considering a PSVR setup. Is it worth getting the Pro for it, or is the experience still good on the slim?

If you don't already own a PS4, buy the Pro instead of the slim. It's an improvement that's worth the difference in price.

If you already own a slim or OG PS4, it's hard to justify the additional $400 a new Pro will set you back.

KalBalboa

Banned
I've been considering a PSVR setup. Is it worth getting the Pro for it, or is the experience still good on the slim?

The Pro really does make a difference in visual fidelity with VR. On top of that, the extra USB 3 port in the back of the console makes for one more wire you can hide while connected to the breakout box.

If you can find one on sale for $300-$350, I say there's no reason not to get one. If you already own a PS4? Maybe gift your current PS4 to someone or sell it for $100-$150 first.

majik13

The Resident Evil 7 system of movement is basically what I was hoping for in future VR titles.

Its not anything particular new or interesting, but sure, it works. Maybe I should ask what exactly is uniquer about RE7 system of movement compared to other DA VR games? Also the main compromise with using just a DS4, is no real motion controls, and definitely no 2 handed motion controls, which is the main benefit of VR control systems.

The Pro really does make a difference in visual fidelity with VR. On top of that, the extra USB 3 port in the back of the console makes for one more wire you can hide while connected to the breakout box.

If you can find one on sale for $300-$350, I say there's no reason not to get one. If you already own a PS4? Maybe gift your current PS4 to someone or sell it for $100-$150 first.

This. I was able to upgrade to Pro for $200 out of pocket.

MattAces

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6hnz2h/rumor_time_sony_employee_may_have_slipped_up/
So this is probably gonna piss a lot of people off but I have to tell someone...may as well be Reddit. I was at e3 yesterday waiting in line in Sony's PSVR section to play the Star Child demo when I started talking to one of the Sony QA (quality assurance?) employees in line. We got to talking about Skyrim specifically and I mentioned I was both excited about the game and bummed that the demo only had teleportation locomotion when using the move controllers. So I flat out asked him if there are any new move controllers in the works, hopefully with thumb sticks. He kind of smiled and said "we're not supposed to talk about any of the new games they're working on", so I kind of said "I hear ya man. But you guys DO have some new move controllers you're working with, right?" He smiled again and ever so slightly nodded his head.
So, take that as you will Reddit. Bring on the hate!

Of course it's from reddit and 95% chances it's some stupid fan fiction, but just thought it's interesting enough to share.
A few days before E3 I remember someone shared a trademark/patent for a "Motion Controller" filed by Sony.

nampad

I bought a new PS4 Pro and used the system backup option to copy over all my data from the PS4.
Do I need to redo the whole PSVR calibration setup (hold the headset and move controllers in the right position) or is that not necessary?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6hnz2h/rumor_time_sony_employee_may_have_slipped_up/

Of course it's from reddit and 95% chances it's some stupid fan fiction, but just thought it's interesting enough to share.
A few days before E3 I remember someone shared a trademark/patent for a "Motion Controller" filed by Sony.

A new motion controller would be stupid as fuck as long it still relies on camera tracking.
There will hopefully be a new PSVR in some years with new controllers, which use more advanced tracking.

If that happens, the fans have to buy new controllers again.

Kyolux

As a consumer I'm all for better options for controls. But it's going to create headaches for devs to decide what to support and not based on controller fragmentation.

I would love a new controller as I really dislike the moves, they feel tacked on especially when you compare them to the aim, vive controllers and touch controllers (touch is by far the best). But a QA guy at a trade show is probably the worst source imaginable.

Watched an E3 interview on Skyrim VR today and my understanding of the control options at present:

2 Move controllers let you target two enemies separately with ranged spells, and fire bows with one Move for the bow and one for the arrow. Downside is that locomotion is limited to point and teleport.

DS4 gives you full locomotion with comfort options (smooth turning or incremental), but you'll be limited to both hands targeting the same enemy, and no bow&arrow movement control (obviously).

Pros and cons of both.

Also, is there any stock of Aim controllers in the UK? I can't find one and no info on restock either.

Afrikan

It's hard to explain unless you use the move controllers in a game that supports it.

But I'm sure that it has already been mentioned, let the game The Fight Lights out and had a good approach...

2 move controllers.

You hold the move button down on either controller...and you would move around by just barely tilting one of the move controllers.. any direction.

So if you wanted to circle around someone while attacking them with your right hand you could..

Hold move button on left move controller..and tilt in any direction.. WHILE you kept focus on that someone with your PSVR and attack them with your right move controller.

And switch around if you want to use the left controller to attack... or quickly circle stop use both move controllers to attack... quickly move stop and again use both move controllers to attack.

Either way.. the tilt approach comes natural after a bit. You could easily backtrack while attacking.

I think another game had movement with gently tilting the PSVR headset itself... so that could work..and might be better for motion sickness issues..since you are controlling movement with your head..instead of controllers.

Shoeless

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were true, but only in relation to PSVR 2.

If there's going to be a next generation headset for PS5, they'll probably also address the control issue, since so much of that has now been worked out with both Vive and Oculus. I could see them coming out with a new PSVR2 bundle at some point with just the headset, and another with the new motion control system that will probably ditch the camera and go for more of an IR/LIDAR sensor system like what Vive has in the lighthouse system.

Maligna

Banned
A new motion controller would be stupid as fuck as long it still relies on camera tracking.
There will hopefully be a new PSVR in some years with new controllers, which use more advanced tracking.

If that happens, the fans have to buy new controllers again.

As a consumer I'm all for better options for controls. But it's going to create headaches for devs to decide what to support and not based on controller fragmentation.

Wish they had made the investment on a better motion controller at very the beginning. What was the point of designing controllers without directional inputs even way back on the PS3?

Joystick

Just got an ad on my facebook feed about spiderman homecoming vr experience coming june 30 is that something new ?

https://youtu.be/5mbcZa06cRo

I don't think that it has been mentioned before. Thanks for the news. Here is some more info:

Sony Pictures’ virtual reality division announced Spider-Man: Homecoming VR, a new multi-platform promotional VR experience based on Columbia Pictures’ Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Guided by the helpful artificial intelligence unit built into the new Spider-Man suit, Spider-Man: Homecoming VR offers players the chance to suit up as Spider-Man, hone their web-shooting skills, and sling high above New York City in pursuit of the Vulture.

Spider-Man: Homecoming VR will be available for free across all major VR platforms, including PlayStation VR, HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, starting June 30, leading up to the theatrical release of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

“Spider-Man is the most beloved superhero in the world, so we knew Spider-Man: Homecoming VR had to be something special. Fans can wear the suit, fire the new web shooters – THWIP! – and swing through the air in a faceoff with The Vulture. It’s every fan’s fantasy turned into virtual reality,” said Jake Zim, Senior Vice President, Virtual Reality at Sony Pictures.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/16/sony-pictures-announces-spider-man-homecoming-vr-experience/

Afrikan

Maaaaaan all they have to do is buy/licence this company's adapter for navi+move... simple as that. Fucking 5 years ago! I don't want to hear shit... it's frustrating to even think about. I and others were calling for this as soon as PSVR was announced.

DualPlay by Playhouse Entertainment

breach.gif

apples.gif

0abbe8_ed0ab09884b246f38bcf3e32385450e6.gif_srz_320_180_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_gif_srz

j9IJV7cLtqvCOKLsd6cTbSX4etQsSLPYX0EjwXq84-U-555x368.jpg

Gitaroo

Maaaaaan all they have to do is buy/licence this company's adapter for navi+move... simple as that. Fucking 5 years ago! I don't want to hear shit... it's frustrating to even think about. I and others were calling for this as soon as PSVR was announced.

DualPlay by Playhouse Studio

breach.gif

apples.gif

0abbe8_ed0ab09884b246f38bcf3e32385450e6.gif_srz_320_180_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_gif_srz

Basically move controller need an analogue stick..... honestly sony has patented the break apart controller like the joy cons before the joy con even exist. They should just design a elite controller that work like a ds4 and split away for vr so each side gets an analog stick with that concept and incorporate hd rumble while they are at it. Hd rumble can make games even more immersive.

Darknight

DualPlay by Playhouse Studio

breach.gif

apples.gif

I hate how the Nav control is not supported. (only on XMB apparently)

MattAces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jkhYbBbZLg
More Skyrim VR

Interesting that the teleport movement is not actually select where you are teleporting and fly there, instead, it's just a strafe forward a few feet everytime. Full locomotion with Move is absolutely achievable if they add it, but this looks fine honestly.

https://uploadvr.com/final-fantasy-xv-monsters-deep-e3/
FFXV fishing
After I caught the first three or four fish a giant ”boss" fish appeared that required me to use a crossbow to deal enough damage so it could be captured.
The Sony representative told me that the full game will have multiple locations to fish from, new rods and other toosl, as well as a greatly expanded roster of fish. It's set to release sometime this September

So with super hot announced I'm tempted to jump in and pick up a psvr and a couple of move controllers

I know there are bundles but are there any likely sales coming up?

McCHitman

Banned
How come? Just curious.

But yeah, selling it is your best choice. Hope you get back close to what you paid for it.

That's a bummer. I've had a blast with it in the little time I've gotten. Everyone I've encountered has been really into the roles, a couple people role play the captain role to an almost annoying degree, but it really helps.

The tutorial and prologue suck for sure, around the 3rd mission is where things started getting hairy. I can't wait to get home and play.

panda-zebra

Banned
With the arrival of Skyrim VR, I ask myself a question about controls.

In your opinion, among these combinations, what is the best way to play a first person game on PS VR ?]

I'm only really going to be interested in Aim games going forwards, but for these non-VR games brought to the platform I'll slum it with whatever feels best. Going to be playing Skyrim for dozens if not 100s of hours, not going to me using Move for any of that except maybe just briefly for the novelty. ds4 is all I need.

Now, seeing that picture's unintentional spark of an idea of a ds4 that pulls apart for VR, yeah I'll go for that (hah), but I'm not using the full weight of a ds4 in one hand for any period of time, nah.
So with super hot announced I'm tempted to jump in and pick up a psvr and a couple of move controllers

I know there are bundles but are there any likely sales coming up?

There's a new marketing push planned, better pricing/bundling might come with that. Hold tight maybe.

DualPlay by Playhouse Entertainment

This would still be crap for VR. I know they are expensive and not readily available but if you get the chance try out the Occulus Touch controllers (if in the UK certain John Lewis stores have demo units) to see where Sony need to be going with VR controllers. It isn't just about tracking movement but also simulating a wide range of hand movements as well as providing methods of locomotion.

Grip is one of the most important factors that isn't at play with the move, if you look on the Vive controller and the touch controller they both have buttons around the grip area. At the moment to pick something up with the move you often press a button with either your thumb or index finger and is essentially an on off action with your digits in an unnatural position. With the competitors you squeeze your hand like griping something and feels intuitive that you quickly forget there are buttons you just do the action.

After playing with the move and vive you don't normally care about digit positioning but with touch you realise how important this can be, especially for new users who don't know the controller layout.

The touch uses sensors in the buttons to see where you fingers are like so:
5800dcf552b7c.gif

Which can be used simply to show the position of the finger on the controller:
e374ffc0-5d43-4b2c-9b46-81e662b0af4e.gif

But then can also be used for a myriad of gameplay elements:
physical-contact.gif

The Vive controller is a great motion controller but an ok VR controller. The Move is a decent motion controller but a poor VR controller. Valve are developing a proper VR controller that takes into account hand positioning which appears it could be better than the touch as you don't have to grip the controller at all times and can simulate full digit release. This is where Sony need to be going if they are developing another controller it needs to be a purpose built VR controller rather than a move with an analogue stick as the upgrade would almost be pointless. When I first saw the price of the Touch I was like no way would I pay that but after using it I think it is worth it.

Top Bottom