• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

ISee

My wife was mocking me a tiny bit for buying another gaming peripheral that I'll put aside after a week or two. So I made her play Batman VR, with motion controllers and while standing. Her jaw droped a couple of times while playing through the game and now she is playing rush of blood.
GAF I've made a terrible mistake, I now have to share my PSVR.

My wife was mocking me a tiny bit for buying another gaming peripheral that I'll put aside after a week or two. So I made her play Batman VR, with motion controllers and while standing. Her jaw droped a couple of times while playing through the game and now she is playing rush of blood.
GAF I've made a terrible mistake, I now have to share my PSVR.

Haha, better buy a second PS4 & PSVR then :p

For real though, half of the fun of VR is sharing it with the people you love and seeing their expressions.

MattAces

So Superhot VR will include endless mode and all the challenge levels from the later updates for PC. Thank god it's a full port.

McCHitman

Banned
Will likely buy soon:
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Surgeon Simulator
maybe Tumble and Sportsbar
Batman
and I already preordered Superhot VR

I love Keep Talking. My wife likes to play it with me even though it pushes us to the verge of divorce at times. Excellent if you have friends to play with (we don't), and printing the manual is even better.

Surgeon Simulator is fun, but not very deep. It keeps the jank of the original game and adds a layer of woah to it. I find the world shifting a lot in this game, and it's sometimes frustrating trying to get things to go where you want, but I guess that's part of it.

Tumble is great. It's a very calming game. Tracking has never been an issue with this game and you need it to be spot on. The moves work very nicely with this one.

Sportsbar I got for free and it's balls. It just really doesn't have a purpose outside of being a social space. It's really lame.

Batman is great. Short, but great. Dont expect Arkham Asylum, but what it does deliver, is fantastic. I wish that the grapple transistions didn't exsist and they let you zip across distances though. Too much "Awww man, I was looking forward to seeing that" in this game.

ElNino

Is Farpoint OK without the Aim? I was waiting for Aim before playing but I am losing hope finding one, Sony doesn't seem to keen on making more.
I know the feeling. I didn't buy at launch because I wanted to wait for some opinions on the Aim controller, and now I can't find it anywhere. None of my local EB/BB/Walmarts have received any inventory since launch. At least my backlog is large enough that I won't be tempted to pay way over retail from Amazon.

wow, tried the Here They Lie demo and realized it's exactly what i want from vr, trippy and creepy immersive experiences. i need this game badly, apparently. i got major Silent Hill vibes.. oh man, just imagine a vr Silent Hill from the original Team Silent...

for some reason i really really enjoyed the control style as well, which is weird because from what i've read people hated it and many got motion sickness immediately. wtf, why does it click for me so well? i get dizzy from some other games but this felt just right.

and i hear the full game is Pro patched and much less blurry with better shadows and antialiasing etc? sold. thinking of hunting down a physical copy for my collection, i have a feeling this might be a rare-ish cult game some day.

Try picking something from your ears, eyes, nose. And how far are you? I really need to figure out how to do that damn catapult.

Interesting tip, thanks! I'm not very far, maybe 6-7 levels in? I'm at the first Giraffe world or something with the goal directly overhead.

I want something that makes my stomach drop. Not motion sickness but something that makes me feel like I'm on a rollercoaster. Until Dawn didn't quite do that for me but it was definitely close.

Also, is Doom VFR a full game?

MattAces

I want something that makes my stomach drop. Not motion sickness but something that makes me feel like I'm on a rollercoaster. Until Dawn didn't quite do that for me but it was definitely close.

Also, is Doom VFR a full game?

It has nothing to do with the standard Doom. It's a newly built from ground up game. Whether it's a sequel, prequel or whatever, we don't know.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow this game is real. With Move support.

Paranormal Activity
https://twitter.com/pavrgame/status/886282140903587840

Dem smooth locomotion. Honestly I thought it works really well, especially in Arizona Sunshine, maybe missing a walk back button but that's about it, usually I will just strafe backward.

Unfortunately it's pretty awful. Played it on the Vive.

Gameplay consists of walking around inside a house with a bunch of locked doors. You don't find keys to the doors, they just automatically open after you've walked through a trigger volume somewhere in the house. So it's basically walk everywhere in the house, then backtrack and try to open every door that was locked previously... find an unlocked door, backtrack again trying every door handle.

It's like it was designed by an ad agency creative director who had never played a game before (which is probably exactly what happened).

MattAces

Do we know if Doom is a full game? or just a short thing?

I would say half and half. I'm expecting a 4~5 hours type of thing.

Unfortunately it's pretty awful. Played it on the Vive.

Gameplay consists of walking around inside a house with a bunch of locked doors. You don't find keys to the doors, they just automatically open after you've walked through a trigger volume somewhere in the house. So it's basically walk everywhere in the house, then backtrack and try to open every door that was locked previously... find an unlocked door, backtrack again trying every door handle.

It's like it was designed by an ad agency creative director who had never played a game before (which is probably exactly what happened).

Okay, definitely a skip. I skip horror stuff all the time, but when it's in the must play list, I will just brave through it like RE7.
Also the game cost $40, that's pretty crazy for early access.

Is Farpoint OK without the Aim? I was waiting for Aim before playing but I am losing hope finding one, Sony doesn't seem to keen on making more.

I'm one of those that played it without the Aim, as Farpoint was bought for me as a gift.

The DS4 works fine, It tracks the movement of the pad in your hands, So you can twist and turn the gun, Bring it close to your eyes, Even still look down the sights, The gun is the DS4.

Farpoint alone is worth playing in VR, The Aim makes the game 10/10 no doubt, But a 9/10 game is still worth the purchase. Not to mention you'll wanna jump back into it further down the line when the Aim is more readily available.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Add me to the PSVR army. Bought an Until Dawn bundle today along with Eve Valkyrie and SuperHot. Now, if only I didn't have to study....

Looking at all the great games already. I feel like a kid exploring an arcade.

Planet

youboughtapsvrfcu5j.gif

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I'm one of those that played it without the Aim, as Farpoint was bought for me as a gift.

The DS4 works fine, It tracks the movement of the pad in your hands, So you can twist and turn the gun, Bring it close to your eyes, Even still look down the sights, The gun is the DS4.

Farpoint alone is worth playing in VR, The Aim makes the game 10/10 no doubt, But a 9/10 game is still worth the purchase. Not to mention you'll wanna jump back into it further down the line when the Aim is more readily available.

How does FarPoint play with the Move controllers compared to the DS4?

Planet

Way worse, it doesn't even let you see the title screen, nagging you to connect a controller. :)

DS4 or Aim, nothing else works.

CackleAndHide

Neo Member
Tried my PSVR for the first time this week. Had briefly tried one at a friends house but was only a short session. Tired a few things so far and really enjoying it. Few games I've tried:

Bound is great. I really like the way it handles the camera. I found that I felt a little dizzy when the I tried the VR worlds platformer for the first time but with Bound I had absolutely no dizziness.

VR worlds - tried the diamond heist and diving games and visually great. Shooting felt a bit awkward on the heist game; just didn't feel like it was shooting where I wanted it to but otherwise liked all the interactions.

Spider-Man experience was pretty bad. Short and not very interesting.

Also tried a 3D blu-ray (Star Wars ep7) and was quite impressed with how it looks. Only issue is I can only manage about an hour burst before I can feel my eyes straining so not sure I'd get through an entire film.

I've got Farpoint but I'm in the same position as a lot of people here; I'm not sure if I want to wait for an aim to play it or not.

bumpkin

Anyone have impressions of Gunjack and/or Bandit Six?
Gunjack is cool from an atmosphere standpoint, pretty average from a gameplay POV. You sit in a turret and fend off waves of enemies. There are power-ups that I assume are EVE related like heat seekers and a focused laser beam. It's basically just a series of missions doing the same thing with increasing difficulty. I got it for really cheap (5 bucks-ish) and don't regret it.

I can't speak to Bandit. Haven't played it.

Brought Fantastic Contraption today and pre-ordered the SuperHot bundle, can't wait for that.

Fantastic Contraption is a lot of fun, great for people who like creating things and physics puzzles. The helmet mechanic is awesome too, it's like putting on a VR helmet, while in VR, really cool stuff.

The Moves work very well and are accurate, although the game itself could use a few tweaks, like better instructions for what everthing does and the ability to spin the camera around would be nice. You can actually spin the camera in the set up screen but not while playing a level, strange choice. Still, it doesn't stop the game being a lot of fun.

alright, jumping into RE7 now. been waiting for this moment..

will report back in an hour! or 5 minutes.

edit: yeah, gamechanger. i can't play horror games without vr anymore. this is mindbogglingly amazing and scary and immersive and a true revelation. it feels fucking nuts, looking around corners and behind me, inspecting details up close, like really putting my face on all kinds of disgusting objects (worms in eyesockets, and everywhere.. nice), walking into dark rooms that feel lifesize, standing next to other characters that feel almost real.. no way to describe it really, it's just nuts. i swear i felt that one moth fly straight into my mouth. i felt it.

10/10 from me so far. only thing i want is similar controls to Here They Lie, where i automatically walk in the direction i'm looking at. any way to tweak it that way in the settings, or close to that?

Mia's pixelated hair tho. yikes. they should have given her a ponytail or something that's easier to render in vr.

Alright, so just bought an Aim Bundle from Military Exchange yesterday, didn't really have to because where I live it's readily available but wanted the tax free bundle lol. Farpoint is amazing with Aim for those people that are in doubts, if you want the legit experience you should wait/get an aim but DS4 controls aren't that bad so if there is no other option DS4 is the way to go.

Also today I got my first VR platinum trophy with Job Simulator, very proud of myself. Even though half the trophies were earned by my girlfriend :p

MattAces

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6nqhaq/seeking_dawn_official_discussion_thread/dkbi64c/
I've got some awesome news for you. Sony reached out to us regarding the game, so there is a very high chance that not only will it support AIM controllers, it may support future in-development controllers that they may be working on as well
The game itself has a beta planned for fall for a steam release (Vive and Rift)
We estimate the PSVR beta to be shortly after that (if everything gets finalized in time!)
It will be co-op campaign/story mode and for multiplayer you can expect 16vs16, or less depending on the power capabilities of the PSVR hardware!

These ass holes keep hinting something. Damn it. Either they are working very closely to Sony on something big (like how Impulse Gear worked on Aim with Sony) or they are just spewing random words.
They were the one that talk about this thing during E3 too.
Also full credit to me (heh) on them sharing/joining the reddit community promoting their game. I talked to them in Facebook Messenger and they asked me on how they should build their community/promote their game, I told them to join the community and request a "developer flair" from the mods. This way, hopefully the amount of response there will push them on making PSVR version happen sooner.

Maligna

Banned
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6nqhaq/seeking_dawn_official_discussion_thread/dkbi64c/

These ass holes keep hinting something. Damn it. Either they are working very closely to Sony on something big (like how Impulse Gear worked on Aim with Sony) or they are just spewing random words.
Also full credit to me (heh) on them sharing/joining the reddit community promoting their game. I talked to them in Facebook Messenger and they asked me on how they should build their community/promote their game, I told them to join the community and request a "developer flair" from the mods. This way, hopefully the amount of response there will push them on making PSVR version happen sooner.

I needed move 2.0 controllers with sticks for Skyrim. Please, Sony!

panda-zebra

Good work, Matt! and it may support future in-development controllers that they may be working on as well... whoa!

MattAces

Semi-related but:
https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/07/microsoft-are-focussing-on-pc-for-vr-not-xbox/
Microsoft Are Focussing On PC For VR, Not Xbox
Microsoft General Manager Dave McCarthy confirms that Microsoft are not currently developing Xbox One X VR capabilities.

My take on the whole thing: Him saying about "we are still searching for that one killer app" bla bla bla is weird, felt just like a "we're waiting to see how the market performs". Yes that will definitely help, but millions and millions of people are already enjoying even with the smaller games. Will "killer app" ACTUALLY help on selling it? I mean in this day and age, there's really no such thing as killer app. Even if they release Uncharted, Halo or whatever in full VR, people will still bitch about how expensive it is, and it is going to stay expensive for awhile. People will keep saying VR needs killer app, but then they introduce Fallout 4 or Skyrim in VR, they complain about it.

Also one extra thing (not in the article) on people who keeps saying it's a good thing they are focusing on PC and not the X for VR because console can't do VR. Uhm...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Anyone have impressions of Gunjack and/or Bandit Six?

Those are your standard mobile VR up ports. In other words, gaze based aiming and controller only.

End of this month is the best PSVR game release period especially Superhot VR.

Got a little typo

MattAces

Those are your standard mobile VR up ports. In other words, gaze based aiming and controller only.

End of this month is the best PAVR game release period especially Superhot VR.

A little confuse at first, "best PAVR (paranormal activity VR) game"

Also damn it, I need to know more about Archangel.

GeNoMe

Sup PSVR Gaf. I have been a proud owner of this nifty little gadget for the past two weeks now. I'm definitely a believer now, there is just so much potential!

Been (re)playing RE7, Until dawn rush of blood, Statik (which is really cool!).
Also pulled the trigger yesterday for Super Hot VR. I pre-ordered this sucker just because of the overwhelmingly positive reactions i've been reading. This will the first time I'll be playing this game.

I'm excited :D

MattAces

Sup PSVR Gaf. I have been a proud owner of this nifty little gadget for the past two weeks now. I'm definitely a believer now, there is just so much potential!

Been (re)playing RE7, Until dawn rush of blood, Statik (which is really cool!).
Also pulled the trigger yesterday for Super Hot VR. I pre-ordered this sucker just because of the overwhelmingly positive reactions i've been reading. This will the first time I'll be playing this game.

I'm excited :D

Dino Frontier, go, it's not too late, $24 from $30.
Following 2 clips will convince you.
https://twitter.com/Ekanaut/status/886254786122661888
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJhHoZDfvc4

Semi-related but:
https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/07/microsoft-are-focussing-on-pc-for-vr-not-xbox/

My take on the whole thing: Him saying about "we are still searching for that one killer app" bla bla bla is weird, felt just like a "we're waiting to see how the market performs". Yes that will definitely help, but millions and millions of people are already enjoying even with the smaller games. Will "killer app" ACTUALLY help on selling it? I mean in this day and age, there's really no such thing as killer app. Even if they release Uncharted, Halo or whatever in full VR, people will still bitch about how expensive it is, and it is going to stay expensive for awhile. People will keep saying VR needs killer app, but then they introduce Fallout 4 or Skyrim in VR, they complain about it.

Also one extra thing (not in the article) on people who keeps saying it's a good thing they are focusing on PC and not the X for VR because console can't do VR. Uhm...

I think part of the real reason for Microsoft not doing VR on console at the moment is the Xbox One being weaker than the PS4, so it could struggle a little or wouldn't be as good as PSVR and they are not doing exclusives on the X, so VR is tricky for them at the moment on console.

I really hate the term "Killer App" though, it's a poor excuse to be honest. I mean, do all the great VR games we have right now, suddenly not count ? I'd rather have a selection really good games, than only 1 great game but if games like Resident Evil 7, Superhot and Star Trek (to name a few) are not "killer apps" then I don't know what is.

Top Bottom