• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

PanzerCute

Interesting post from developer of Cyube Vr:
Bloomberg article is not really reliable and too sensationalist. They reported numbers for PSVR2 twice and twice they were completely wrong, so in terms of reliability they are pretty low. It is possible that Sony halted the PSVR2 production for a bit and that they have lots of unsold units, but without any numbers of headsets produced it is a no-info.

It is safe to assume that Sony probably thought they would sell more units, and produced too many for its first year, but they still have plenty of room to drastically increase sales, like what they did with PSVR1. Big price cuts, new games (and we know they are cooking in the background), PC compatibility, new waves of marketing etc..

For now PSVR2 feels like it follows the same path as PSVR1, in a much more challenging market and context.

My hope is that they announce some big games during their rumored q2 showcase and big discounts when these games release.

PanzerCute

Man, this is kinda cool. Wonder what they are working on? Improved reprojection?
Hubris dev stated that they were indeed working on it last year, so hopefully that is one of the thing they are doing. I am mostly fine with it, but I have to admit it is jarring on Switchback for instance.

Really hope they are working on PSVR1 port too, and obviously new PSVR2 games.

But who knows with Sony, they are terrible at communication since end PS4. I miss Shawn Layden days..

panda-zebra

Played cyubevr for 3 full sessions until batteries died in controllers. Enjoyed getting the platinum over those 14/15 hours by taking my time, exploring and working through the objectives - nothing too grindy, bizarre or difficult so exactly how a VR platinum should be.

The game looks amazing, some of those underground caves with the glowing and starry blocks are incredible, and like a lot of VR games the sense of scale is mind-blowing. The tactile and engaging crafting didn't get tiring even when installing a huge brick patio and wall around the back of my base or smelting ore in the *huge* furnace gathering dry grass and using flints to spark coals in the lower chamber, then pulling the handle to release the pure liquid into the ingot moulds. However I did seem to get overrun by a huge deer infestation mid way though, they were everywhere (and one was glowing oddly!). Luckily you can light up the skies with them thanks to infinite arrows you don't have to bother crafting even once.

There was an early hotfix to combat some 120hz TV user issues preventing them from launching the game, but one feature I didn't expect that came with it was an increased chance of the weather altering (wasn't even aware it could). Came out of a menu, looked up and saw snow all around, gathering on surface (even the remaining deer)... just looking up into the thicker and thicker snowfall was epic.

There's too much out there and in my backlog to spend any more time just building for the fun of it right now, but what a tidy and beautiful-looking game. My kid even took time off Minecraft to give it 10 hours. I'll be back when big expansions drop, there's a lot planned for the game going by the roadmap.

Going into the backlog next, the comfort kit has given new life to my headset.

SilentUser

Hubris dev stated that they were indeed working on it last year, so hopefully that is one of the thing they are doing. I am mostly fine with it, but I have to admit it is jarring on Switchback for instance.

Really hope they are working on PSVR1 port too, and obviously new PSVR2 games.

But who knows with Sony, they are terrible at communication since end PS4. I miss Shawn Layden days..
I miss those sweet times, too. Galaxy kart had some of the most atrocious reprojection I've ever seen, thankfully they improved the game framerate to native 90hz and got rid of that thing. I usually don't have a problem with reprojection, but in that game... urgh.

Markio128

I’m missing playing the PSVR2 at the moment. I’m slowly getting the pup into a regular routine, but VR currently is a big no-no 😩
The Portal is thankfully bridging the gap.

On the positive side, there are quite a lot of games I need to catch up with once I’m back in the fold, so looking forward to that.

SilentUser

I’m missing playing the PSVR2 at the moment. I’m slowly getting the pup into a regular routine, but VR currently is a big no-no 😩
The Portal is thankfully bridging the gap.

On the positive side, there are quite a lot of games I need to catch up with once I’m back in the fold, so looking forward to that.
I know that feeling all too well 😭 also have plenty of VR games to play before I buy some more. Though Inmust admit I couldn't hold myself and bought Towers & Powers (big fan of tower defense type of game).

from reddit

new-vr-marketshare-report-from-counterpoint-research-is-in-v0-uw4dwaupfaoc1.png
If this is true, it sure brings to light the length that some "analysts" and astroturfers go to to taint a competitor. 1/2 of Meta is very healthy. The software will probably be even healthier overall. The recent claims made about Sonys PSVR2s lack of sales, would be the second total false claim made to discredit it and dissuade buyers from supporting it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It gives me no particular joy to say that I've just boxed my PSVR2 up to sell. I just don't see anything coming up in the near future games-wise that justifies me keeping it. It's such a shame Sony haven't supported what is a very good piece of kit with enough quality games to play on it.

sncvsrtoip

It gives me no particular joy to say that I've just boxed my PSVR2 up to sell. I just don't see anything coming up in the near future games-wise that justifies me keeping it. It's such a shame Sony haven't supported what is a very good piece of kit with enough quality games to play on it.
Metro, MadisonVr and Wanderer this year

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

But they're opening it up to PC "soon" - you'll get Alyx, PC race sims, and dozens of other PC VR games like Star Wars Squadrons, etc. Plus the ability to watch 3D movies and more. So that should definitely help.

PanzerCute

Metro, MadisonVr and Wanderer this year
And Behemoth, Demeo Battles, Astro 2 (everyone knows this is coming), Undead Citadel, Grimlord, Low Fi, Ghost of Tabor etc..

Sony sucks in terms of visibility (but it is also the case for PS5 games) but I would at least wait for their spring showcase before reselling my headset (not that I want to, I still have a shit ton of games to play and I know we are gonna get a lot more)

Last edited:

Neofire

Even I, who's been critical of Sonys psvr2 support, can see that in the last month have seen the games begin to roll in more on the ps5 but to say that you "don't see anything" is just cap. I'm sorry but come on dude lol.

PanzerCute

Hellsweeper graphics update with foveated rendering arrives tomorrow! And the game is on sales for less than 20 bucks too.

Guess I will have to buy it!

Also, lots of other games are on sales worldwide, including Journey to Foundation for -50%, Vertigo 2 for -30% and Waltz of The Wizards for -80% etc..

Who need money anyway.

SilentUser

Hellsweeper graphics update with foveated rendering arrives tomorrow! And the game is on sales for less than 20 bucks too.

Guess I will have to buy it!

Also, lots of other games are on sales worldwide, including Journey to Foundation for -50%, Vertigo 2 for -30% and Waltz of The Wizards for -80% etc..

Who need money anyway.
Decided to buy Waltz, I don't think it can go wrong with that price :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Sony should use PSSR, foveated rendering and frame generation to make a standalone version of PSVR 2 and if they can't do it now create PSVR 3 as a standalone headset in 2028-9 if this new version can match the quality of PSVR2+PS5Pro then it will be a success

Last edited:

SilentUser

from reddit, good decision imo
madison-vr-delayed-for-dynamic-foveated-rendering-update-v0-absoa4xlv1rc1.png
Great decision, indeed. Plus, awesome to hear Unity updated their SDK recently and improved the DFR usability, by the sound of it. Eye tracking foveated rendering is God send 😅 it can help tons of games and smaller studios to achieve their goals. BTW, feels like our days of low res ports are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

ABnormal

Maybe it's too soon, but by chance has someone already tried No Man's Sky VR after Orbital update, just to be sure that the cosmetic changes are in VR mode also?

ABnormal

Not yet, but I'm pretty sure it is exactly the same as the flat.
I'm pretty sure too, I just can't believe that space stations exteriors and interiors will look that wonderful in VR, with all the screen space reflections and better lighting and shadows. It will be a gorgeus spectacle just to slowly fly-by those huge stations and taking glimpses...

It really bodes well for a future VR version of Light no Fire. I hope it will be a MMO style shared wordl, where buildings made by players and players themselves can be found. Who knows, maybe we will all meet there, one day :)

SilentUser

I'm pretty sure too, I just can't believe that space stations exteriors and interiors will look that wonderful in VR, with all the screen space reflections and better lighting and shadows. It will be a gorgeus spectacle just to slowly fly-by those huge stations and taking glimpses...

It really bodes well for a future VR version of Light no Fire. I hope it will be a MMO style shared wordl, where buildings made by players and players themselves can be found. Who knows, maybe we will all meet there, one day :)
Man, Light no Fire might be really cool. I was just talking yesterday with a friend how much they could just bring from NMS to Light, specially from a technical aspect. Hopefully VR will be there day one! And it would be awesome to meet everyone there from here one day haha

PanzerCute

I tried Hellsweeper and the game is indeed extremely sharp and clear. It is by no mean a technical marvel as the assets are not the best but the game looks pretty good.

It feels very complicated at first, with a lot of skills and inputs/gestures to learn but its quite fun! But damn the movement is so fast and the gameplay is so intense that I had to stop after 30min, sweating like hell, and almost feeling some motion sickness.

And one thing is that for now I spent quite a lot of time destroying some stuff to get loot, making it for a bit of a weird pacing.

Will play more this week-end.

SilentUser

Oh wow, Waltz of the Wizard is sharp and fun! What a great first impression! Might ending up being a short game, it it is well worth it. I hope they use this game as the basis of a bigger sequel, as the gameplay is top notch and the image is sharp.

Top Bottom