• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

MilesTeg

Banned
Would there be a way to get NESN with this? They got Red Sox and Bruins games. If so I could definitely drop cable, although I'm unsure how much just internet would cost.

Also, I'm assuming there is no way to share this, across multiple ps4 consoles for example?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

lol, he has a point.

MS's biggest problem is they went ...all in...on TV TV TV.

Sony has played this gen like a fiddle. Some smart moves over at Sony this gen.

Except Sony actually provided a decent cord cutting service. So far Vue is great.

Exactly. MS wasn't really offering something to replace cable with, just a box to put on top of your cable box to try to add functionality.

This too.

Tigress

Crazy how it's Sony that's about TV TV TV, considering how this gen started for MS and the Xbox brand.

Either way this looks like a decently good deal.
Except Sony actually provided a decent cord cutting service. So far Vue is great.

Exactly. MS wasn't really offering something to replace cable with, just a box to put on top of your cable box to try to add functionality. You still needed cable and you still had to rely on the crappy box your cable company gave you (and rely on its crappy DVR). You could just plug it into MS's box and it could add functionality (but you were still reliant on its basic functions, the xbox just served as a fancy remote and overlay). MS would have done better if they could at least work with cable companies and made it so the xbox could replace whatever DVR the companies were providing (cause in general they provided crappy DVR/cable boxes).

This is a great replacement for some of us for cable as it is cheaper and it keeps what i like about cable (I do like having channels that are airing stuff at certain times. When I'm bored and don't know what to watch I like perusing to see what is on). Plus it has the advantages of a netflix like program in its "cloud DVR". My fiance has been trying to get me to cut the cord for a while cause our cable has gotten expensive (our cable company wants to just be in internet but when they bought FIOS in our area they got the responsibility of cable too so they've been increasing price to try to get people off). This is the service that finally has me agreeing to it and even thinking I'll like it better than cable (fewer channels but every channel I care about).

On top of that, Sony isn't trying to make the Playstation a cable box. This is a service they are providing that one of the ways you can access it is if you have a Playstation. So they aren't trying to make this the focus of the Playstation. It's just one way you can access this service.

Pretty much the only thing holding back Vue at this point is the disappointing selection of individual channel subscriptions. There's only four that are available, and of those four only Machinima is somewhat reasonably priced. It's been months now, and there haven't been any new additions.

There's so much potential with an a la carte TV service, and Sony needs to jump on this quick if they want Vue to be a real success.

What's the news on the audio? Every time I try a service, the audio is always neglected. I won't be able to try this until I get home so any answer is appreciated. I get that not everything is mixed in 5.1, but for a service like this it's important to me that I get surround sound when possible.

So for us in the cities where Vue is already available we have no option for the 30$ correct? Seems like for Chicago the cheapest itll run you is 40$ I just want to be sure.

TS-08

lol, he has a point.

MS's biggest problem is they went ...all in...on TV TV TV.

Sony has played this gen like a fiddle. Some smart moves over at Sony this gen.

The problem was they went all in on past notions of television (and seemed to emphasize it to the detriment of the console's gaming reputation). Sony is providing a TV alternative that is more geared toward "TV's" future. And I say this as someone who owns a One and not a PS4.

As soon as my Comcast Internet TV bundle promotional period is over I'll switch to Vue. I can get Internet only from comcast plus Vue and I will pay the same or less as I am paying today

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Come on, lol.

They are about Games, VR, TV.

Unless you are referring to Sony making more headway into TV than MSFT did, when it was all they talked about initially?

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. It's amazing to me the angle Sony took. They prioritized games, but had this up their sleeve the whole time. Now they have a legitimate cable TV service.

onQ123

Crazy how it's Sony that's about TV TV TV, considering how this gen started for MS and the Xbox brand.

Either way this looks like a decently good deal.

PlayStation Vue isn't about PS4 , PS4 is just one of the devices that will let you use it & I wouldn't be surprised if PlayStation Vue & PlayStation Now end up on Xbox One through a WUA.

DJChuy

Sounds sweet. My mom has been wanting to cut the cord for the longest time, but hasn't found anything she liked. Hopefully this interests her.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PlayStation Vue isn't about PS4 , PS4 is just one of the devices that will let you use it & I wouldn't be surprised if PlayStation Vue & PlayStation Now end up on Xbox One through a WUA.

But it is apart of their "Playstation" branding and that's important. But if it ends up on the Xbox One..........................bruh!

But who can say, we will be playing against people on Xbox Live soon so you never know.

Tigress

Correct. All because of live ABC/FOX/NBC.

Ha! I'm not jealous of those cities now (I don't care about live any of those networks. Hell, if it didn't have those networks it would be a small bummer but I honestly don't even think I watch those stations anyways though I do watch some other stations owned by them).

What's the news on the audio? Every time I try a service, the audio is always neglected. I won't be able to try this until I get home so any answer is appreciated. I get that not everything is mixed in 5.1, but for a service like this it's important to me that I get surround sound when possible.

It's stereo only. It's one of several issues I have with PlayStation Vue.

Even for $5 more, this beats the crap out of my Sling package. I canceled my Sling sub with only about 5 minutes of toying around with my Vue trial.

Wow, I'll probably do the same. I got Sling for CNN primarily, but now I can get msnbc and Fox News too, sweet.

EDIT:
"In addition, users can also access programming from more than 60 network mobile apps or websites, simply by logging in with their PlayStation Network ID. The mobile apps and websites are developed by network programmers and are a separate offering from PlayStation Vue, but can be used at no additional cost."

If I am understanding this correctly, does this mean things like CNN GO and FOX NOW for instance, I will be able to log into? The reason I ask is this is a good way to get the content on Apple TV.

I would almost jump to Vue for Comedy Central and FX alone, but Sling has my favorite TV channel (El Rey) and still comes out to be $10 cheaper.

Vue looks to be a good deal for you guys looking cut the cord.

Toki767

Ha! I'm not jealous of those cities now (I don't care about live any of those networks. Hell, if it didn't have those networks it would be a small bummer but I honestly don't even think I watch those stations anyways though I do watch some other stations owned by them).

Yeah. Sadly I'm in San Francisco so the cheapest package is $40. Which, granted, is still cheaper than cable in general. But if I had access to the $30 package I'd probably sign up and not care if I was making use of it everyday.

KevinG

Just discovered that this does not provide full access to entire seasons on the AMC app. Earliest TWD season 6 episode accessible is the number 9.

Would have been worth a month of it for access to the whole season alone.

Just discovered that this does not provide full access to entire seasons on the AMC app. Earliest TWD season 6 episode accessible is the number 9.

Would have been worth a month of it for access to the whole season alone.

I wish I was at home cuz I'm pretty sure this is the same for ONdemand on cable right now. But im not 100% sure.

No History channel, but Discover ... not bad @ $30. If only they could get local network streams on one of these $30 a month packages.

They really need to get the local channels streaming in all markets. I'd hop on right now but my wife wants them live so she can watch the local news and General Hospital live. It's a dealbreaker for her.

Thanks for the responses regarding Live local channels. I guess it's a matter of waiting for the deals to be made in each city.

Another question, does anyone else have an issue with underscan? Every channel has an odd black border around the picture, can't seem to find a setting to fix it.

Rur0ni

The lack of device support is what is stopping me from using the service at this point. Android/Android TV and/or Roku would fill a gaping hole.

Hugstable

Banned
Will give this a try. Wish my internet didn't suck so I could get a signal throughout my house, but testing it on my my room and getting TV for a bit sounds cool. Plus the price seems good for what you get.

blackflag

I'll check this out tonight and if it has on demand then I'm in. I need AMC and FX and Vue has both.

edit: and USA for Mr. Robot.

Afrikan

this might be too deep for some... but does anyone know who is running the service? the backend?

is it MLB Media (yes baseball folks..lol) or is it Amazon's servers.

with these prices and a free trial, I'm just wondering/hoping they are going to be prepared for the traffic. (usually Sony isn't)

213372bu

Banned
Really overpriced.

Cord-cutters just buy a DVR with no monthly cost, get free Antenna, and buy Netflix or something.

Boom, you got more than this.

GeoramA

Yep, fully switching to Vue once my Dish contract is up. Never thought Sony of all companies would get me to cut the cord.

No History channel, but Discover ... not bad @ $30. If only they could get local network streams on one of these $30 a month packages.

What are you watching on the History Channel? There's no more informative History shows. Unless you're really into Ice road Truckers, Swamp People, Pawn Stars, Counting Cars or American Pickers than sure.....

I mean, if the point is not paying to $30 a month.

Pop ups like Sling TV are pushing in similar content for cheaper.

I can't imagine carrying $30 a month for what boils down to a basic TV subscription.

DVR and 55+ HD Channels. Show me a basic TV subscription at that price with that content. You would get a tenth of that with OTA.

Tigress

They really need to get the local channels streaming in all markets. I'd hop on right now but my wife wants them live so she can watch the local news and General Hospital live. It's a dealbreaker for her.

You can get an antenna and get local channels for free. That's what my friend did when she cut the cord.

So is this only accessible by one console at a time? I have two ps4s so it'd be cool to watch something and my brother could watch something else on his.

Top Bottom