• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

Schrade

Someone test to see if you can take screenshots of a TV show playing in PS Vue.

Also - need some resolution reports as well as bitrates.

Since Vue supports CSN and CSN Plus, does that mean I would be able to watch Flyers/Phillies games without blackouts using this method? I assume it would be the local CSN station.

tirminyl

I think I am going to sign up for a trial, but I need to check the channels my shows are on. If I can consolidate services, great, but seeing CW isn't on there means I keep HULU.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Quoting my post for you 50-posts-per-page weirdos who may have missed it:

I made an Excel spreadsheet comparing Vue's Access Slim package, Sling's base package and Sling plus two add-on packages (because that would make Sling cost as much as Vue so it might be a better comparison*). It's viewable on my Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6P-cfWcPIvmNXAySWpIb1VXdzQ/view?usp=sharing

Red Xes are for channels that all three options have, and blue Xes are for channels that Vue and the $30 "Sling plus two packages" option have. Black Xes are for channels that are exclusive to either Vue or Sling.

*The two Sling packages I chose were Kids Extra and Lifetime Extra, since those two brought Sling in line with Vue the most, channel-wise, for the best comparison.

I might make another comparing Vue's sports package (the $35 Core Slim) with Sling plus three packages (Sports Extra, Kids Extra and Lifetime Extra, costing $35).

[edit] I made a mistake: Vue doesn't have History Channel while Sling does. (I marked in my spreadsheet that Vue has History Channel, which is erroneous.)

Since Vue supports CSN and CSN Plus, does that mean I would be able to watch Flyers/Phillies games without blackouts using this method? I assume it would be the local CSN station.

You can search on the PS Vue website. If you put in your zip code, it will tell you which channels are available. Not sure about Phillies/Flyers because I am not familiar with Philly programming.

Guess Who

Banned
This is damn good, but they need to get it on more devices. I get that they're trying to sell PS4s but a service like this needs as much market penetration as it can get to be successful, and hopefully cause some disruption in the TV market. This thing needs to be on Roku, Apple TV, and Android asap.

You can search on the PS Vue website. If you put in your zip code, it will tell you which channels are available. Not sure about Phillies/Flyers because I am not familiar with Philly programming.

I put in my zip and it shows all the channels available and yes it does have CSN. Thanks for the heads up! Fucking awesome :).

Garryk

Even for $5 more, this beats the crap out of my Sling package. I canceled my Sling sub with only about 5 minutes of toying around with my Vue trial.

Xenus

Quoting my post for you 50-posts-per-page weirdos who may have missed it:

Wait they have History on Vue? I didn't see it listed anywhere. Just Disney and Science channel. If they have History I have basically everything I will ever need

BinaryTB

Neo Member
I hope they get an Android app out soon so I can use my Chromecast, I don't have an iOS device.

So very strange. Chromecast support, but ONLY with iOS devices (currently). So a Google streaming device that can only be used via Apple hardware. You pretty much have to go out of your way to do this.

TL;DR: Marketing department made decisions

Mifune

Mehmber
I love the Vue interface. So slick.

I think I'm gonna cancel when my free trial ends, though. The service is great but I think I'm going full cold turkey with this cord cutting thing.

Toki767

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even though a credit card is required, PS Vue will actually pull from your PSN Wallet if you have enough money for it. Which means with PSN card deals, it could potentially be even cheaper.

I'm pretty sure this is an error and customer support doesn't know what they are doing, but I signed up for the Core (middle) plan specifically because it included Fox Sports Southeast. It clearly shows it in the "Compare Plans"

IMG_0656.JPG

I figure this is a channel list curated for my market because Fox Sport West or Fox Sports North aren't listed as options, for example.

So, I load up Playstation Vue, and that one channel is missing. My chat with support wasn't too helpful:

Joshua: Hello, My name is Joshua, how may I assist you today?
Me: Hey Joshua, I have a Playstation Vue question,
Me: I just signed up for the Core Slim plan in my area (Raleigh-Durham) specifically because it included Fox Sport Southeast,
Me: but when I scroll through the Guide, that one channel is missing
Me: Fox Sports South is there but not Fox Sports Southeast
Joshua: I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with Playstation Vue. I can help with this today.
Joshua: Just one moment while I research your account to see whats going on with that channel.
Joshua: Due to being in a slim market and your location not all of the Fox Sports channels may appear. It does look like for your location Fox Sports South would be a part of your lineup of channels.
Me: When you go to "Compare Plans" it specifically shows both Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast in the Core plan
Joshua: I do see what you mean. However, channels and pricing may vary by City or the plan that you're on.
Me: So it sounds unclear how to get that channel
Joshua: It would appear that it may not be available for your city at this time.
Me: ok, let me ask, are we sure of that, or are we guessing due to it not appearing when i use Vue?
Me: Im just curious as to if it's *for sure* not in my city
Me: I'm hoping it's an error since it's the first day
Joshua: There's not a exact guide online that well tell you what channels are included or are not included other then the guide you have on the Vue app. Channels are available based on the region you are in. With it being a slim market currently some channels may not be available.
Me: So when Im in Raleigh-Durham, and I go to "Compare Plans" that's not an accurate list of channels. The customer has to subscribe first, and then see what channels they actually get.
Joshua: When you go to compare plans that is going to be a good estimate of the channels that are included. However, underneath that channel lineup it does state Channels and pricing vary by city and plan.
Me: ok, I don't think I have any further questions

So hopefully this is just a day one error, but heads up just in case.

Tigress

Damn. I'm in. Does anyone know of the pvr function saves on the hard drive or just gives you access to the shows to stream for a month (I know that it only keeps a month worth of shows you watch but I don't know if I have to have hard drive to do that. I'll have to replace my ps4 hard drive if so).

Kaladin

I'm pretty sure this is an error and customer support doesn't know what they are doing, but I signed up for the Core (middle) plan specifically because it included Fox Sports Southeast. It clearly shows it in the "Compare Plans"

IMG_0656.JPG

I figure this is a channel list curated for my market because Fox Sport West or Fox Sports North aren't listed as options, for example.

So, I load up Playstation Vue, and that one channel is missing. My chat with support wasn't too helpful:

So hopefully this is just a day one error, but heads up just in case.

Do normal cable packages include both South and Southeast in your area?

Mifune

Mehmber
Damn. I'm in. Does anyone know of the pvr function saves on the hard drive or just gives you access to the shows to stream for a month (I know that it only keeps a month worth of shows you watch but I don't know if I have to have hard drive to do that. I'll have to replace my ps4 hard drive if so).

It saves in the cloud for a month. No hard drive needed.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
[edit] I made a mistake: Vue doesn't have History Channel while Sling does. (I marked in my spreadsheet that Vue has History Channel, which is erroneous.)

Wait they have History on Vue? I didn't see it listed anywhere. Just Disney and Science channel. If they have History I have basically everything I will ever need

No, that was a mistake. I apologize.

Google Chromecast is also supported via compatible iOS devices.

This confuses the shit out of me. So will Chromecast support Vue or will I have to have an Apple device to work on an Android made device/software to be able to watch it? Or would I be able to just buy a Chromecast device and be able to use Vue normally through it?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Here's an Excel spreadsheet comparing Vue's Core Slim package (with all the sports channels) with Sling and three comparable add-on packages (Sports, Kids and Lifestyle, specifically), viewable on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6P-cfWcPIvmYmNTZE9qOUxzMEU/view?usp=sharing

Both cost $35 per month.

Red Xes denote channels both services offer. Black Xes denote channels exclusive to one service or the other.

The History Channel error in the previous spreadsheet has been corrected in this one.

[edit] Alternately, you could swap Sling's Kids add-on for the Hollywood Extra add-on, in which you'd have the same number of shared channels with Vue's Core Slim (two, Sundance TV and TCM instead of Disney Junior and Disney XD) but you'd swap three Sling exclusives (BabyTV, DuckTV and Boomerang) for four exclusives (Epix, Epix 2, Epix Hits and Epix Drive-in). So you'd increase the total channels for Sling by one and increase Sling's exclusives by one.

Guess Who

Banned
This confuses the shit out of me. So will Chromecast support Vue or will I have to have an Apple device to work on an Android made device/software to be able to watch it? Or would I be able to just buy a Chromecast device and be able to use Vue normally through it?

You would have to Chromecast it through an iOS device, so yes, you need to use an Apple device to watch your Sony TV service through your Google Chromecast.

Wife signed up at home today and says the PS4 client is a bit clunky but serviceable.

I attempted to try out the app on an iPhone 6 Plus - app loads promptly, but can't watch TWD as I'm not in my 'home network'. I assume this means the network my PS4 is on.

KevinG

How does this compare to Sling TV?

Edit: I tried Sling on the One and it was terrible, Always buffering, and consistently 5 minutes behind live TV.

You would have to Chromecast it through an iOS device, so yes, you need to use an Apple device to watch your Sony TV service through your Google Chromecast.

What the fuck kind of sense does that make? Why can't we just use a normal Chromecast or or a Roku device to watch Vue? I don't get it...

Android users are SOL? What about directly using the Chromecast? It won't work like that?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Here's an Excel spreadsheet comparing Vue's Core Slim package (with all the sports channels) with Sling and three comparable add-on packages (Sports, Kids and Lifestyle, specifically), viewable on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6P-cfWcPIvmYmNTZE9qOUxzMEU/view?usp=sharing

Both cost $35 per month.

Red Xes denote channels both services offer. Black Xes denote channels exclusive to one service or the other.

The History Channel error in the previous spreadsheet has been corrected in this one.

[edit] Alternately, you could swap Sling's Kids add-on for the Hollywood Extra add-on, in which you'd have the same number of shared channels with Vue's Core Slim (two, Sundance and TCM) but you'd swap three Sling exclusives (BabyTV, DuckTV and Boomerang) for four exclusives (Epix, Epix 2, Epix Hits and Epix Drive-in). So you'd increase the total channels for Sling by one and increase Sling's exclusives by one.

Only thing is Lifetime is on Sling. I just wouldn't let the girlfriend know.... Vue has everything I want. They both have DIY Network and AMC so you cant go wrong...lol

I just need to switch to a cheaper ISP and I'm good.

One thing I want to add.. A PlayStation Vue account also allows you to stream all the WatchESPN, WatchDISNEY, ETC, apps...

So you can download any of the ABC Networked owned station apps and stream then with a Vue account...So you can watch any ESPN sports broadcast on the go on your tablet or phone..

KevinG

One thing I want to add.. A PlayStation Vue account also allows you to stream all the WatchESPN, WatchDISNEY, ETC, apps...

So you can download any of the ABC Networked owned station apps and stream then with a Vue account...So you can watch any ESPN sports broadcast on the go on your tablet or phone..

Does it give full access to AMCs on demand application? Would love to catch up to TWD season 6.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I've reuploaded the original comparison among Vue Access Slim, Sling's basic package and Sling plus the Kids and Lifestyle add-ons, now with numbers for the total channels and total exclusive channels added to the bottom of the document and the History Channel error corrected: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6P-cfWcPIvmdnhXWjMzTDA0TWM/view?usp=sharing

How does this compare to Sling TV?

Edit: I tried Sling on the One and it was terrible, Always buffering, and consistently 5 minutes behind live TV.

Use the link above or the link found in my post below:

Both cost $35 per month.

[edit] Alternately, you could swap Sling's Kids add-on for the Hollywood Extra add-on, in which you'd have the same number of shared channels with Vue's Core Slim (two, Sundance TV and TCM instead of Disney Junior and Disney XD) but you'd swap three Sling exclusives (BabyTV, DuckTV and Boomerang) for four exclusives (Epix, Epix 2, Epix Hits and Epix Drive-in). So you'd increase the total channels for Sling by one and increase Sling's exclusives by one.

Thinking of cancelling my directv for this...

Where would that be, with which provider, for what kind of service, and with how many DVRs (and what kind) please? :)

DirecTV, 2 HD DVRs, 1 Genie, middle of the pack service (170ish channels most of which we never watch but some are must have for us in this package): $150/ month (and another $12 or so for HBO)

Even though the virtual DVR would require us to change our viewing habits, I would now seriously consider this if I hadn't re-signed a 2yr agreement when we moved in August this year.

As someone who is a long time user of DirecTV, I'm debating on going back to it. PlayStation Vue is cheaper, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Price aside, it's inferior to DirecTV, especially in the DVR department sans one feature that is actually nicer on PlayStation Vue.

Not well at all. Slow/sluggish/laggy all when attempting to navigate the guide/channels/etc. The Fire Stick is much better. Can't vouch for the Fire TV, but the PS4 version is amazing. I stuck the fire stick in the bedroom and the PS4 in the living room. The Fire Stick version is usable, and better than the PS3 version, but after using the PS4 version it's clear that they're substandard experiences.

This seems crazy to me since the Fire TV Stick is pretty sluggish and borderline unusable to me. So if the PS3 is as bad, if not worse, that's crazy. The PlayStation 4 is great. The Fire TV is usable except for the fact that video streams are capped at 30 fps which is shitty for sports. The iPad app is pretty good except for the restrictions to any network that is NBC/Universal/Comcast base which brings it down. The only one that was really bad for me was using the Fire TV Stick.

Will this work on a fire stick? Since I don't see it in the roku app store

Yes it'll work on the Fire TV Stick.

Dubz

I'm paying $39 for the slim in Los Angeles. I like service but I'm kinda pissed that I can't get the $29 deal

Lemondish

I really want this. I'll check out the trial because why the hell not. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment in New Hampshire right now, and Comcast runs a monopoly for Internet services in this area for apartments. That means I can't cut the cord and get this to replace it without it actually costing me way more.

Man, I would love the ability to just pay for Internet.

This seems crazy to me since the Fire TV Stick is pretty sluggish and borderline unusable to me. So if the PS3 is as bad, if not worse, that's crazy. The PlayStation 4 is great. The Fire TV is usable except for the fact that video streams are capped at 30 fps which is shitty for sports. The iPad app is pretty good except for the restrictions to any network that is NBC/Universal/Comcast base which brings it down. The only one that was really bad for me was using the Fire TV Stick.

The Fire Stick is better in the sense that it doesn't take forever to boot up like the PS3. Also the Fire Stick doesn't seem as sluggish as the PS3 version, but yes, both of them border on less than usable, the PS3 version more so.

lynux3

Also note that you can stream online/in-app FX Now movies, episodes, etc. using your PSN login.

The Fire Stick is better in the sense that it doesn't take forever to boot up like the PS3. Also the Fire Stick doesn't seem as sluggish as the PS3 version, but yes, both of them border on less than usable, the PS3 version more so.

That's crazy given how the PS3 is way more powerful than the Fire TV Stick. There's no reason for it to be that bad. Good to know to skip using my PS3 though. Although that kind of sucks in the sense that the PS4 is the only real usable device.

Top Bottom