• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Seems like an interesting service that'll never leave the US, but that IP limitation is whack. I somewhat understand why (to stop sharing and VPNs most likely), but if your internet provider uses dynamic IP you are fucked (they ban you if IPs change more than once).

Seems like an interesting service that'll never leave the US, but that IP limitation is whack. I somewhat understand why (to stop sharing and VPNs most likely), but if your internet provider uses dynamic IP you are fucked (they ban you if IPs change more than once).
That can't be right. Doesn't almost every ISP use a dynamic IP?

Do we expect more channels to be added later like History and the CW?

AmuroChan

Nope. A lot of channels have a ton of their catalog available, like History and Food Network.

With Sling, $20 gets you 23 channels. Everything else are add-ons, starting at $5 a channel.

Vue is $30 for 55 channels + unlimited cloud DVR.

Vue is going to be the better value for most people out there just by virtue of having DVR.

MoxManiac

Pretty much. With TWC, you can't even get a static IP without having a business account and paying extra.

Kaladin

I am probably going all in on this for cable consumption. It's a chord cutter's dream. I'm dropping all services except the WWE Network (Sling, Netflix, Ad Free Hulu) and I'll be able to cover this with no change in what I pay monthly.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Much better than the 49.99 starting price but the service is still too iffy.

When PSN goes down you can't watch anything.

Uses your internet connection. People will unlimited don't need to worry about it though.

DirecTV still cheaper and offers more in my area.

You can use Vue on mobile so I don't know if that is completely true?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

According to the FAQ:
What is my “home location”?
Your “home location” is the IP address and zip code that are recorded along with your device when you first subscribe to PlayStation™Vue. PlayStation™Vue will not work across multiple IPs in the home.

Can I change my home location if I move?
Yes, you can change your home location if you’ve changed permanent addresses. The first time you attempt to use your account to access PlayStation™Vue from outside your previous home location, you will be asked if you would like to change your home location. PlayStation™Vue will assume you have changed your home address and you may be messaged as such.
Note: You can only make a home location change one time, otherwise your account may be blocked from service.
Changing your home location may result in changes to your account, as regional channel availability will vary based on your zip code.

EDIT:
You can use Vue on mobile so I don't know if that is completely true?
Huh, I'm just going by what the site says, maybe mobile is an exception, or the site is outdated :/

Damn that's expensive, how is this an alternative when I know people who pay 30 for 70+ channels?

They aren't really paying only $30 for 70+ channels though. You have a lot of fees that come on top of that price as well going through cable companies. You have also set-top box rental($5-$10 per), DVR box rental($10-$20 per), and of course HD fee($5-$10) in some markets as well. Believe me it quickly adds up and it is why this is on my radar.

Man no history channel for Vikings :(
Still I'm going to look into this.
How much does it cost to break a contract with Comcast?

Depending on where you live your contract could already be voided. If you live in one of the markets where they introduced the new "unlimited for $30" in January that is a change in contract that you never initially agreed to. Also if they promised a price to you for 2 years and they increased it (through their annual hikes) you could also argue that they voided their contract with you. Outside of that, it is normally $20 a month for each month you still have left on contract.

How does Vue perform on PS3? My PS4 is in the den but the PS3 is in the living room.

Not well at all. Slow/sluggish/laggy all when attempting to navigate the guide/channels/etc. The Fire Stick is much better. Can't vouch for the Fire TV, but the PS4 version is amazing. I stuck the fire stick in the bedroom and the PS4 in the living room. The Fire Stick version is usable, and better than the PS3 version, but after using the PS4 version it's clear that they're substandard experiences.

Quotient

As anyone done a comparison of total cost against typical cable providers? i.e. if you add the cost of cable internet and a particular vue package does that equal roughly what you would pay comcast for a similar package?

Kaladin

No android app, no PlayStation vita TV app? I'm out of the game for now then.

While I'm sure an adroid app will come, a lot of these channels have their own Android app, some with live TV.

In addition, users can also access programming from more than 60 network mobile apps or websites, simply by logging in with their PlayStation Network ID. The mobile apps and websites are developed by network programmers and are a separate offering from PlayStation Vue, but can be used at no additional cost.

skelekey

Will one subscription work across multiple PS4's as well as the other devices listed? Sorry if this has been asked already.

AndyD

aka andydumi
No android app, no PlayStation vita TV app? I'm out of the game for now then.

This is their biggest weakness I think. They need it to be playable on as many devices as possible. They need an updated and cheap PS TV tiny streaming box that connects to a controller and/or remote and allows streaming of Vue and from a PS4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is their biggest weakness I think. They need it to be playable on as many devices as possible. They need an updated and cheap PS TV tiny streaming box that connects to a controller and/or remote and allows streaming of Vue and from a PS4.

Seeing how in bed they are with Android, I expect that to come soon.

The PSTV thing was a huge missed opportunity. For the fact it came out too soon, when this had no markets and was in the 'beta' phase.

I think they are going away with their own stream device anyhow, since the PS4 can do it, as well as it is built into their new TV's as well as trying to get on other TV's too.

mosdl

Man no history channel for Vikings :(
Still I'm going to look into this.
How much does it cost to break a contract with Comcast?

Amazon has Vikings for sale the day after it airs, might be cheaper in the long run (plus you then own the episodes).

I hope it's okay with dynamic IPs. It doesn't have everything I want like CW, but I also have Hulu so I can get the three shows I watch next day (DC).

Elandyll

Banned
Damn that's expensive, how is this an alternative when I know people who pay 30 for 70+ channels?
Where would that be, with which provider, for what kind of service, and with how many DVRs (and what kind) please? :)

DirecTV, 2 HD DVRs, 1 Genie, middle of the pack service (170ish channels most of which we never watch but some are must have for us in this package): $150/ month (and another $12 or so for HBO)

Even though the virtual DVR would require us to change our viewing habits, I would now seriously consider this if I hadn't re-signed a 2yr agreement when we moved in August this year.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, I will be dropping Sling. $10 more per month for about three times the number of channels. Awesome.

Some in 2013 thought Sony would never use PlayStation brand for TV purposes. Yet now in 2016, PS Vue will seemingly make a bigger impact on cable TV than anything Xbox is doing.

3AD101

Banned
Show me CBS and CW and I'll sign up for this and give it a shot. My wife misses quite a few of those channels since we cut the cable.

Antenna not an option?

I get a great HD signal with an antenna.

Will be good for live stuff then the VOD for stuff one wants to wath later.

I think I will get the trial and see if I like it.

Would be great if they got Vue going on the new Apple TV. My PS4 is hooked to the living room set.

3AD101

Banned
Yeah, I will be dropping Sling. $10 more per month for about three times the number of channels. Awesome.

Some in 2013 thought Sony would never use PlayStation brand for TV purposes. Yet now in 2016, PS Vue will seemingly make a bigger impact on cable TV than anything Xbox is doing.

I think Sling has some thinking to do.

Mifune

Mehmber
I started a trial yesterday on PS4 and it's pretty great. Slick interface, DVR, and the picture quality is comparable to what I get with Uverse. I'm canceling cable today, will save around a hundred bucks a month.

Wish I could get that $29.99 package here in LA though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Seeing how in bed they are with Android, I expect that to come soon.

The PSTV thing was a huge missed opportunity. For the fact it came out too soon, when this had no markets and was in the 'beta' phase.

I think they are going away with their own stream device anyhow, since the PS4 can do it, as well as it is built into their new TV's as well as trying to get on other TV's too.

The thing is that a quick remote is useful for this kind of thing, and turning on a console to watch is cumbersome. The Amazon Fire TV stick is what I'm thinking would work for TV. But it needs to be a bit beefier to support game streaming from a PS4 with a controller I think. Maybe not.

Chris R

The service mentions regional sports but it doesn't list the regional sports channel in the list for my city. Does that mean the regional sports channel is unavailable?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The thing is that a quick remote is useful for this kind of thing, and turning on a console to watch is cumbersome. The Amazon Fire TV stick is what I'm thinking would work for TV. But it needs to be a bit beefier to support game streaming from a PS4 with a controller I think. Maybe not.

I believe when you sign up, at least it was in beta, they actually sent you a Firestick. About game streaming, that is a whole different discussion.

It also works on Chromecast, which is Google, so I expect an Android app soon as well.

Does Vue work on the Vita?

No.

Not sure if remote play does with it, I assume no due to the DRM for other streaming services like Netflix.

LifEndz

Pretty sure you can only use vue on one ps4 at a time, so if some of you are hoping to simultaneously use this on multiple tvs at a time, you'll be disappointed.

You can, however, use the iPad Vue app at the same time as the ps4 app.

Disney Junior - for the kids
SyFy - for dumb monster movies
AMC - Walking Dead
FX - Archer
USA - for Raw after Wrestlemania

with a smattering of other channels I have a use for, at the lowest tier? That's mighty tempting.

labaronx

Don't assume anyone can do this. I bought an antenna thinking the same thing but could only get public access channels and when the cloud cover is JUST RIGHT, I could get Fox. Thats it.

Didnt really know... was asking for me personally so i can drop my cable

Wait cant you buy an 10 dollar antenna and watch those

Antenna not an option?

I get a great HD signal with an antenna.

Will be good for live stuff then the VOD for stuff one wants to wath later.

I think I will get the trial and see if I like it.

Would be great if they got Vue going on the new Apple TV. My PS4 is hooked to the living room set.

We actually have a nice antenna. Our house is, unfortunately surrounded by very large trees. So when it's super windy, our antenna channels get all pixelated and stuttery. CBS is the worst offender and they don't put their stuff on Hulu. If Fox, NBC or ABC gets destroyed by wind/rain/snow, we are fine. We just wait 24 hours and watch it on Hulu. If CBS goes out, we are up poopy creek without a paddle.

We don't NEED Playstation Vue, BUT... if they had CBS, plus a bunch of channels we miss since removing cable, I'd be up for spending a few extra bucks a month to avoid ever watching anything via antenna again. It'll all be Hulu/Netflix/Vue. CBS is my sticking point though. I can't justify another subscription that does not include that channel.

tl;dr - Thanks, wind.

Nafai1123

Banned
Oh man this has CSN Bay Area...I can watch local sports without having blackouts like with MLB TV??

Yep! One of the main reasons I got it last year.

Pretty sure you can only use vue on one ps4 at a time, so if some of you are hoping to simultaneously use this on multiple tvs at a time, you'll be disappointed.

You can, however, use the iPad Vue app at the same time as the ps4 app.

One PS4 but you can use other devices at the same time. For example, I use it on my PS4 and my roommate uses it on his PS3, or if you have a Fire TV or something like that you can use it at the same time too.

PrinceKee

I'm looking to cut the cord and get rid of cable in the next month so this is great. But, who here has Vue and can give a decent review?

_h8bit

Banned
Been using Vue for a few months when it was priced a little higher. I was considering dropping it altogether but the price change is a game changer. Not to mention the addition of a handful of new channels.

Top Bottom