• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

harSon

Banned
I mean...are live FOX/ABC/NBC really worth the $10/month extra to you? Cause they sure aren't to me. Especially when an OTA antenna does the trick.

It's not worth it to me, since as you stated - OTA most certainly does the trick (and you'd have on demand through VUE as a backup) I'm in California though, so I'd love to actually have that choice :p

It'd be nice if Sony added the option for OTA tuner support like Microsoft did with the XB1. I like to consolidate my media offerings as best as possible, so it'd be nice to not have to shift between multiple devices for live TV purposes.

StMeph

Kind of a surprise announcement. I'll be looking into the details about the offerings and platforms for it, as I would probably need at least 2-3 simultaneous streams and only one PS4. Might be time to get a Chromecast.

Arttemis

Anyone think Roku support is on its way? They have Amazon Fire, so surely Roku has to be on the table, too, right?

That was the point of having a Roku - the broadest and fastest adapted support. Now it's lacking Google Play Music and Vue, the two things I want.

megalowho

Service keeps looking more promising as it grows, pricing is very reasonable. Channel offering just needs to be expanded a bit more for me, missing a few that I'd need to justify paying for cable TV after being without so long (NBA TV, BBC America). Looking forward to signing up once that happens.

At $29.99 that covers all the channels that I'm interested in, that is the right price. I'll be giving this a shot as soon as I get home.

2.5 years ago when PS4 and X1 launched, who would've thought that in 2016 Sony would be the one with the larger playerbase, better performing games, AND a somewhat attractive television service.

Jigolo

Anyone think Roku support is on its way? They have Amazon Fire, so surely Roku has to be on the table, too, right?

That was the point of having a Roku - the broadest and fastest adapted support. Now it's lacking Google Play Music and Vue, the two things I want.
I think they'll build apps on Android, roku etc of the service gains popularity.

No idea why Google hasn't built Google Play music apps on other platforms since it's a fantastic service

Fisty

I have always been very excited about the prospect of this, but then i remember I never watched TV even when i had it

Blanquito

That's... actually not bad. My OTA channel reception is pretty poor, and the additional channels in the $30 package are ones that the family would like. Tempting.

demigod

2.5 years ago when PS4 and X1 launched, who would've thought that in 2016 Sony would be the one with the larger playerbase, better performing games, AND a somewhat attractive television service.

TV TV TV, lol. I will most likely switch to Vue once my 3 months is up with Sling.

Toki767

I hear Vue runs like crap on Amazon Fire TV and the Fire TV stick. I wonder if performance on a Roku would hinder them too.

Jonboy

I wish there was live tv for the new markets. Kind of a deal breaker for me.
Huh? It's not live?

Edit: Are you referring to the bit about local cable networks? You can get those OTA for free with a cheap antenna. The non-local stuff (ESPN, CNN, Discovery, etc.) is live TV.

Man, I would invest in this, but:

1) I live in Dallas metroplex and therefore I have to pay $10 more than most because they have live local channels, which I can get for free with my antenna (furthermore, I have Tablo, an OTA DVR, so this makes the $10 extra from Vue for being in Dallas redundant).

2) They would make an app for Roku. I have perfectly capable streaming apps, they need to expand outside PlayStation and Amazon Fire TV.

Man, I would invest in this, but:

1) I live in Dallas metroplex and therefore I have to pay $10 more than most because they have live local channels, which I can get for free with my antenna (furthermore, I have Tablo, an OTA DVR, so this makes the $10 extra from Vue for being in Dallas redundant).

2) They would make an app for Roku. I have perfectly capable streaming apps, they need to expand outside PlayStation and Amazon Fire TV.

This answers my question.

Does anyone know what specifically they mean when they say "regional sports networks"? I live in Vermont, so does this mean that I could have access to NESN to watch the Red Sox? Or is it only specific sports networks that they have contracts with?

I'm trying to hunt down a general channel listing and can't really find anything.

Rezae

I think I'll drop Sling for the $30 pkg. Runs like crap through my Fire stick. This has to be better (and the extra channels for $10 seem more than worth it.. was waiting on ESPN.).

mosdl

Does anyone know what specifically they mean when they say "regional sports networks"? I live in Vermont, so does this mean that I could have access to NESN to watch the Red Sox? Or is it only specific sports networks that they have contracts with?

I'm trying to hunt down a general channel listing and can't really find anything.

If you get the slim version there are no local sports I believe, its only the regular version that is available in certain areas (where they did deals with the networks).

I wish they had made ESPN an addon rather than part of the base.

-griffy-

Banned
What are the chances the new AppleTV gets a PS Vue app? I'd probably jump on this in an instant if that happened. It's already tempting as it is.

I hope they get an Android app out soon so I can use my Chromecast, I don't have an iOS device.

That's the thing though, They HAVE an Android App. Those Amazon devices are Android devices. They must have some sort of Amazon exclusivity contract or something. It's silly though because even Sony's own Android devices cannot access the service.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Getting better. Until I get local channels, though, I think I'll steer clear. They aren't available in my area.

Nice, FireTV support out of the gate!

Definitely going to try the trial out. This seems to have everything I watch on Sling and then some.

So you are telling me I can watch WWE Raw and Smackdown live in HD for the first time ever without cable?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Perfect timing!
Moving tomorrow, gonna use that 7-day trial after the internet gets hooked up. If I like it, definitely gonna subscribe.

If you get the slim version there are no local sports I believe, its only the regular version that is available in certain areas (where they did deals with the networks).

I wish they had made ESPN an addon rather than part of the base.

Gotcha. I figured it was a bit of a pipedream, but I've been trying to figure out how to be a cable cutter (which I have been for over 8 years now) and still watch the Red Sox games without using a VPN and using MLB's crappy and overpriced service. Oh well... Back to another year of listening to the games and watching highlights.

Glad that this Vue update scratches the itch for other potential cable cutters out there, though.

Last I checked, Vue allows for three streams at once, correct? That blows Sling TV out of the water if I am remembering correctly. Going to have to try this with my brother tonight.

Crawl

Still trash due to " ABC, FOX and NBC will offer video-on-demand (VOD)-only content."

If you're a sports fan like myself and have a hard time getting channels OTA due to reception of where you live than this is a non-starter.

What i'd like to see is a package that tailored toward live sports I need ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX Live channels and ESPN live as most sporting events namely football is aired live on all these channels. All other extra channels are just gravy. If you live in an area where its hard to get the the OTA channels then this is a nonstarter.

Sony still has work to do. And I believe SLING tv sill doesnt offer OTA channels on their service either.

When PSN goes down will this service go down as well? I'm really interested in getting it, but PSN always goes down at the worst possible times for me.

daveo42

Banned
Hmm...if it has DisneyXD too, then that $30 service would be pretty sweet indeed. Picking up broadcast channels over-the-air is fine by me.

Do you need to register the service with devices or does it work similar to how Netflix and Hulu work now? Be nice to know if there is a cap on devices or not.

-griffy-

Banned
Still trash due to " ABC, FOX and NBC will offer video-on-demand (VOD)-only content."

If your a sports fan like myself and have a hard time getting channels OTA due to reception of where you live than this is a non-starter.

What i'd like to see is a package that tailored toward live sports I need ABC/CBS/FOX/ LIVE and espn live. All other extra channels are just gravy. If you live in an area where its hard to get the the OTA channels then this is a nonstarter. Come one sony your almost there and don't forget to add roku support.

Blog post says they are working on local broadcast networks. It's messy though since they gotta work with local affiliates for all that crap, so it's just gonna take awhile to work all that out on a market by market basis.

Crawl

Blog post says they are working on local broadcast networks. It's messy though since they gotta work with local affiliates for all that crap, so it's just gonna take awhile to work all that out on a market by market basis.

We are getting closer to where we can break up these terrible cable packages. If sony does this than this will be one huge step toward that.

Just signed up for a free trial and I am pleasantly surprised by the video quality and how snappy it all is. I may end up keeping this for baseball season!

not a fan of them removing live broadcast for fox and abc (just on demand stuff now) but then again... i'm not around when it airs live most of the time. i'll consider since they still have amc. gonna start free trial later this week.

Top Bottom