• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: "When Worlds Collide" [Insomniac game, leaked as R&C: Into The Nexus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

Yeesh, some of you are so whiny. Get used to the ps3 and 360 receiving big titles for a while longer. It's not like this game will be any better if it was moved to the ps4.

Um, yes.

I'm of the opinion that they need to put as much content on their new platform as possible.

That's never been how Sony runs things. They've always given their consoles a lot of support even when they're launching a new console. Insomniac even released what's widely regarded as the best Spyro game in the same month as the PS2's release.

Sony wants their platforms to have long tails, and one of the ways they achieve that is by continuing to support their old consoles.

Kerub

Banned
Yeesh, some of you are so whiny. Get used to the ps3 and 360 receiving big titles for a while longer. It's not like this game will be any better if it was moved to the ps4.

Yep. As mentioned, it's also a perfect family type of game to keep pushing PS3 sales while the PS4 is being introduced. I expect a couple of more PS3 games in the same style, maybe LittleBigPlanet.

batbeg

Also I might me crazy but as far as the Jak crossover theory is concerned that portal thing really reminds me of the time travel device from the precursors you see at the end of Jak & Daxter/beginning of Jak II.

Well, that's promising I suppose.

To reiterate for a new page jstevenson has said this person is not an Insomniac employee.

Tsunamo

Wasn't expecting it to be a Ratchet & Clank game. I'm a bit disappointed it's not a PS4 title, but I'm looking forward to a return to the traditional Ratchet & Clank formula. (assuming it does go back to that)

Toppot

Is Insomniac making Sunset Overdrive, exclusive to Xbox One, and Ratchet, exclusive to PS3, at the same time? Has any developer ever done something like that before?

If you want a direct comparison of:
Independent developer - exclusive retail game next gen - exclusive retail game for another publisher current gen. That would be hard to find I think.

But similar situations:

Q-Games made Starfox 64 DS and and the Pixel Junk Games (Then exclusive to PlayStation) at the same time.

Level - 5 Make exclusive games for multiple platform but they are a publisher as well as being an independent developer

20 in the first year not enough for you? Launch allocations are selling out regardless.
Yeah, but we don't know what the 20 titles are though. I hope and expect great things, but I'm also a little bit scared that most of them are not going to be something worthwhile. A next gen PS4 Ratchet game would be a good start keeping the momentum till launch.

VanWinkle

Crack in Time was gorgeous...best looking Ratchet and Clank by far

SubHD resolution killed it for me. It was so blurry. Amazing game, though. They also said that was their last 60fps, and FFA was STILL SubHD despite it being 30fps. I don't have faith for this.

And part of their team is already working on Sunset Overdrive. They can really only support development of two games at a time with their size the way it is.

Also, I don't think you want another R&C game led by the North Carolina studio. They were responsible for FFA and A4O... =/

I am aware that the NC studio isn't as "up to par" as the main one when it comes to R&C. Do we know which one is working on Overdrive?

Possum

Wasn't expecting it to be a Ratchet & Clank game. I'm a bit disappointed it's not a PS4 title, but I'm looking forward to a return to the traditional Ratchet & Clank formula. (assuming it does go back to that)

If it's on PS3, it would probably release this year; if it's on PS4, I wouldn't count on it coming out till next year. Probably around October.

RoKKeR

Also I might me crazy but as far as the Jak crossover theory is concerned that portal thing really reminds me of the time travel device from the precursors you see at the end of Jak & Daxter/beginning of Jak II.

To reiterate for a new page jstevenson has said this person is not an Insomniac employee.

Welp, that's that then.

I am aware that the NC studio isn't as "up to par" as the main one when it comes to R&C. Do we know which one is working on Overdrive?

According to JStevenson, Overdrive is largely being worked on by the FUSE team in Burbank, which was also responsible largely for Resistance. I should note that Insomniac's dev structure is a little different than most studios. I remember Ted Price saying that they always have a "splinter" in their Burbank offices that works on preproduction for their next project while the bulk of their studio works on their current project. Then once the main team ships their game, the two groups switch roles.

So most likely, the Burbank office would be the one behind Overdrive, unless they overhauled the way they make games since the R&C/Resistance alternation period of their history. Hopefully that doesn't mean Insomniac NC is developing this new game, but it seems like the most likely scenario, even with Allgeier involved.

ymmv

Banned
Don't know why people are so hung up about it being on PS3. Should Sony suddenly stop making games for it?

Because there have been five R&C games for the PS3 so far (and I'm not even counting the R&C HD collection or PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A new classic Ratchet & Clank game is always exciting in my book.

I've never played any Jak & Daxter, so if there's any truth to the speculation about a crossover, that doesn't necessarily do much for me.

To be clear all I ever heard was that insomniac was working on a ratchet game for the ps3. I didn't really dig. Could it include other characters? Sure. Could it come to the vita or ps4? I guess, but neither was mentioned to me. But i also heard about this a few months ago, shit changes.

Gonna be in a meeting at work for a couple hours so I'm not pulling an intentional disappearing act now. I don't really have anything else to add though. That's all I know.

8byte

Banned
How did that ever increasing install base work out for sales of each subsequent title in the Resistance series?

Considering the FPS space grew more and more competitive, and Resistance 2 / Resistance 3 Beta bugs really crushed a lot of hope for that series...I think it's fair to say that's an apples to oranges comparison.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom