• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: "When Worlds Collide" [Insomniac game, leaked as R&C: Into The Nexus]

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK this is officially garbage to me now.

The last few PS3 R&C efforts sucked.

At least a PS4 version would have promise, but PS3?

Utter crap. Seriously, Sony needs to leave PS3 to third parties at this point.

People defending this decision must be crazy. Look at Microsoft, do you see them making Xbox 360 games still? NOPE!

At the VERY LEAST they should have had Insomniac make this for the Vita. That game needs new software A HELL OF A LOT more than the PS3 does. If not PS4 then go Vita.

ubercheez

Not a fan of the idea that all new games should be for PS4 now that it's officially announced. I really liked how the PS2 kept going strong for a couple years after the PS3, and I'm glad to see that the PS3 will continue that trend.

More importantly, I'm really happy to see that Insomniac hasn't given up on Ratchet. Give me another awesome single player game like Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, and you'll have my money.

sono

cucXSu6.jpg

Seems legit

PS exclusive OMG

Sid

8byte

Banned
God damnit Insomniac.

A PS3 game? Are you serious?

That's where this title will be most successful financially. Makes incredible sense.

I am aware that the NC studio isn't as "up to par" as the main one when it comes to R&C. Do we know which one is working on Overdrive?

The NC Studio is, in fact, "up to par". There is a lot going on behind the scenes that you guy's apparently aren't really willing to acknowledge. Budgets, development time lines, etc. They've made two "experimental" R&C titles that were extremely solid. I imagine if this is a very traditional R&C title, they'll blow you away. Them making something that deviates from what you're used to does not make them "below par". What a silly notion.

Um, yes.

I'm of the opinion that they need to put as much content on their new platform as possible.

That wouldn't make sense. Sony needs titles that will drive PS4 sales to day one users. Families typically aren't day one buyers. R&C is, for the most part, a family title. Investing into a new engine on a new platform with a small install base doesn't make sense. They will let 3rd parties and a few bigger 1st parties sell the platform to core users and eventually families, and then they'll invest into things like R&C a year later, much like they did with PS3.

batbeg

While I'm not fan of R&C it is worth noting the last couple of titles you're probably referring to weren't by Insomniac/made by the same team within Insomniac.

Why would the exact same game be more promising on different hardware?

Look at Microsoft, do you see them making Xbox 360 games still? NOPE! [/B]

At the VERY LEAST they should have had Insomniac make this for the Vita. That game needs new software A HELL OF A LOT more than the PS3 does. If not PS4 then go Vita.

Are you sure about that?

ymmv

Banned

I hope you were talking about A41 and FFA. A Crack in Time was a terrific game. That being said. I really really really hope it's for the PS4. I'd be quite disappointed if it were a PS3 game.

People defending this decision must be crazy. Look at Microsoft, do you see them making Xbox 360 games still? NOPE!

Yes, because XBOX owners were really happy with Microsoft for just leaving the original XBOX to die the second the 360 was announced.

When you have a platform with as many owners as the PS3, it's positively silly to abandon it so abruptly. If Insomniac isn't ready to make a PS4 game, they shouldn't be forced to.

Vire

That's where this title will be most successful financially. Makes incredible sense.

What makes sense to me (if I am Sony) is to have incredible exclusives lined up all throughout launch window and 2014 to convince people they need this system now.

Sure, you won't see immediate results, but in the long run it would prove more fruitful.

There is zero evidence for this and Ratchet looks like it is still alive, so PS4 Ratchets are pretty likely at this point.

The Last of Us was pretty good ;P

I know, but I was ready for that to be the last game I really cared about on the system... I'm in next-gen mode now.

Not only that, The Last of Us was announced over 2 years ago for current gen - if they did the same with Ratchet, I would have had no problem. Instead, they are announcing it in 2013 most likely for a 2014 release on an old system.

MrValtor

Banned
Nope. Their first next-gen game is, but beyond that, nobody knows. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a PS4 R&C sometime within the next three years.

I'm pretty sure that they are not making a Ratchet and Clank movie without a game in the same timeframe. ;-)

ascii42

I think you're crazy.

Sony sold over 30 million PSones after the PS2 came out. They sold over 50 million PS2s after the PS3 came out. Roughly 1/3rd of the 1.5 billion units of PS2 software sales occurred after the launch of the PS3.

Sony knows what they are doing.

ymmv

Banned

The NC Studio is, in fact, "up to par". There is a lot going on behind the scenes that you guy's apparently aren't really willing to acknowledge. Budgets, development time lines, etc. They've made two "experimental" R&C titles that were extremely solid. I imagine if this is a very traditional R&C title, they'll blow you away. Them making something that deviates from what you're used to does not make them "below par". What a silly notion.

Metacritic:

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault 63
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One 7
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time 87
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty 76
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction 89

Most of the Resistance 3 team is working on Sunset Overdrive, actually.

Most of the mainline guys who worked on R&C for many many years LEFT the Cali Studio to work at the NC studio. In fact, it consists almost entirely of R&C veterans. But hey, I guess if you just want to shit on them every chance you get, you really don't need to have your facts straight ;)

How exactly do you know this? Don't Insomniac just list out everyone in the company in their credits? Which is why you see people in the credits of both FFA and Fuse?

I find what you're saying difficult to believe, as the North Carolina studio was set up in mid-2008, A Crack in Time came out in late 2009 and as far as I'm aware, All 4 One was the NC studios first game. How exactly does that work if we're to assume what you're saying is true?

Metacritic:

Fuse 62
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault 63
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One 7
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time 87
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty 76
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction 89

fixed for continued mediocrity

I hope you were talking about A41 and FFA. A Crack in Time was a terrific game. That being said. I really really really hope it's for the PS4. I'd be quite disappointed if it were a PS3 game.

Yes! I was talking about A41 and FFA.

A crack In Time obviously rocked, but that was years ago.

ubercheez

I think you're crazy.

Sony sold over 30 million PSones after the PS2 came out. They sold over 50 million PS2s after the PS3 came out. Roughly 1/3rd of the 1.5 billion units of PS2 software sales occurred after the launch of the PS3.

Sony knows what they are doing.

The 10-year plan seemed ludicrous back in 2006, but damned if they're not delivering on it.

nampad

Still on PS3? This will probably be released in 2014 but can they make another R&C for 2015 when the movie hits the theaters? Would be bad planning if they can't deliver a movie tie in.

I am also very interested which Insomniac team is doing this game and which is doing Sunset Overdrive. I guess their main one is doing the latter. All4One was pretty bad so I don't have a good feeling towards their NC team.

ymmv

Banned
Yes, because XBOX owners were really happy with Microsoft for just leaving the original XBOX to die the second the 360 was announced.

When you have a platform with as many owners as the PS3, it's positively silly to abandon it so abruptly. If Insomniac isn't ready to make a PS4 game, they shouldn't be forced to.

It's not like third parties will stop supporting the PS3 once Sony launches the PS4. All of Sony's major development teams will be working on PS4 games, if there are any PS3 in 2014 those will be projects that got delayed or from second or third tier devs. I suspect that any Vita games in 2014 could see a PS3 release as well. But any more effort is a waste of time and money. Sony has to convince current PS3 owners to upgrade to the PS4 ASAP and they won't do that by releasing major games on the PS3.

rothbart

Insomniac Games _is_ a third party... you could argue second party until they started releasing multiplatform games. They're definitely third party now... the R&C IP is Sony owned though.

I bet this ends up being not very hype-worthy. I didn't care for FUSE, or the last two R&C games. I liked Resistance 3 though.

I-hate-u

Why are people excited by this? The last 2 R&C games were not received well and arguably the best within Insomniac team is working for MS on Sunset Overdrive :/

I know, but I was ready for that to be the last game I really cared about on the system... I'm in next-gen mode now.
Your best friend and most beloved game creator David and his friend Ellen would like to
kill
have a word with you :)

I ask because it would have made great sense to make this a PS4 launch title.
Sure, but I don't see why Insomniac would care about things like this. If Sony would have given them PS4 devkits and the necessary budget I'm sure they would have loved to develop a Ratchet game exclusively for PS4. This is likely Sony's decision.

The NC Studio is, in fact, "up to par". There is a lot going on behind the scenes that you guy's apparently aren't really willing to acknowledge. Budgets, development time lines, etc. They've made two "experimental" R&C titles that were extremely solid. I imagine if this is a very traditional R&C title, they'll blow you away. Them making something that deviates from what you're used to does not make them "below par". What a silly notion...

silly? i'm a huge r&c fan, &, yeah, i feel their 'experimental' titles were indeed below par, where 'par' = 'tons of fun', & not budget concerns, or production values. the games, no matter how 'solid' they were, just weren't nearly as inspired or enjoyable...

KOHIPEET

I'm actually OK with a ps3 R&C game if it's like Crack in TIme or Tools of Destruction. But this doesn't mean that I want a PS4 R&C either.

*Imagining Metropolis, Kerwan with 8GBs of memory*

*Mopping up drool.*

Vire

Insomniac Games _is_ a third party... you could argue second party until they started releasing multiplatform games. They're definitely third party now... the R&C IP is Sony owned though.

I bet this ends up being not very hype-worthy. I didn't care for FUSE, or the last two R&C games. I liked Resistance 3 though.

Everything Insomniac has done for the past 4 years has been pretty crappy.

I don't really have especially high hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom