• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

PikaED

I think he has stept up the character design. I always found square banjo much better designed than the 64 CG model.

EDIT
Laylee is not a girl? It even sounds like a girls name.

Or a Skirt.

>.>

Im really not letting this go. D:
From Playtonic Writer/Editor on Twitter:
Andy Robinson said:

I'm sure IGN just assumed they were both male when they first typed up their article.

Gartooth

Going to take a guess and say that Yooka is female and Laylee is male.

I think everything's still a bit too smoooth, it all feels like it's missing... something, but thgis is an early build and I've no doubt it's going to be packed with life on release. Never a doubt I was gonna be kickstarting it anyway.

The IGN article states that the footage is after only 3 months of development time.

Kozuka

1430418104-sofuckinghyped.gif

RM8

Looks awesome, I love everything about it except for the names :x The pun initially went over my head because I'm not a native English speaker, and Yooka-Laylee doesn't sound like "ukulele" in Spanish.

Now... WiiU or PC? Can't decide :(

This looks brilliant. I never played the BK games so those characters don't really do anything for me, but this seems right up my alley. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this project.

Sou Da

Nice. Will back if they are smart and make PC/PS4 the first reachable goals, otherwise I'll have to wait. Will be interesting to see how they structure the KS.

I'm pretty sure PC will be a given and PS4/XBO will be one of the first goals with WiiU a bit further down.

I love the lushness of the jungle level. Looks beautiful. It's been so long since we've had a platforming game experience like this.

Neiteio

Wow, it's amazing how I could see either of them being a guy or a girl

DAT AMBIGUITY

edit: Grant Kirkhope music tomorrow? HYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPE!

They seriously dont want to tell everyone what gender they are? I dont know what bothers me more, the fact that theyre basically trying to hype that up or that people care about the gender of an animal that most likely wont even actually talk and will be a bunch of random noises

limlark

Looks good for being at the not-having-any-money yet stage. I'll want to see what they fill those big empty environments with. And to rewatch on a better screen when I get home.

And you know, Yooka and Laylee are BOTH pretty feminine names. I clicked in here and thought, "Did they really...?" 3 pages later (EDIT: 4 pages and one suprise announcement later!), I still don't know.

EDIIT: I'm a prophet, everyone's calling 2 girls now.

Shin-Ra

I hope Laylee's wings grow with stepped upgrades and Yooka has some colour-changing skin for visual effect and as a camouflage time-limited power-up.

kewlbot

theyre kinda nude but i like the designs
the bat with the big ol' clown nose is a cute idea

hope they dont try too much for it to be like banjo and throw out some new ideas
also hope they get the KI announcer guy to scream at us

Neiteio

They seriously dont want to tell everyone what gender they are? I dont know what bothers me more, the fact that theyre basically trying to hype that up or that people care about the gender of an animal that most likely wont even actually talk and will be a bunch of random noises
I personally don't care, but hey, if it gets people talking... :)

NotLiquid

The thought of a soundtrack co-composed by Kirkhope and Wise is so good

I mean just listen to what they did for OCRemix's DKC2 album (with Robin "the ginger bastard" Beanland on sax)

We'll probably hear tomorrow. They probably just didn't inform IGN and wanted to correct them when they seemed definitive about it.

War Eagle

The objectives, collectibles, and whatnot are a just as large, if not larger component of the gameplay than the actual game feel of the protagonist, though. Banjo generally had moves that were used slowly and with tons of end lag, which precluded tight platforming challenges for more minigame and objective focused gameplay. Without showing us examples of objectives or the context through which the character's actions are applied, it doesn't really mean much for how fun the game is.

I'd say the protagonist and the spirit of the hub world is as important too. Gruntilda and Grunty's castle are a big part of what made the original BK so amazing in my book.

PSqueak

Banned

Well, they're Rare, they like to troll their audience, and gender of protagonists in games is a hot topic right now, i think this is a very Rare thing to do and use to generate buzz/hype/lols.

As for the crowd side, well, personally i just saw the design in teases and just personally liked the idea that they could be potentially gender reversed from Banjo-Kazooie, it's just a dynamic i'd personally like to see, which is why im personally hopeful to have Yooka be female.

I don't know, it just matters to some people for many reasons.

Hiltz

Oh, the characters are finally revealed. It's nice to see more 3D platformers around even if it's form an indie developer. I like the looks of this one though.

Looks good for being at the not-having-any-money yet stage. I'll want to see what they fill those big empty environments with. And to rewatch on a better screen when I get home.

And you know, Yooka and Laylee are BOTH pretty feminine names. I clicked in here and thought, "Did they really...?" 3 pages later (EDIT: 4 pages and one suprise announcement later!), I still don't know.

Environments look fine to me. Why do they need to be packed with stuff? Embrace the space.

I refuse to be pessimistic here! This is EXACTLY the kind of game I've been wanting since the death of my beloved 3D platformer. And for it to already look that charming after only three months work is great!

I want all the cliches! Upgraded moves as you progress, large, but separate worlds, tons of shit to collect! Give me all of it!

kevin1025

Banned
Reading this thread makes me super happy, how much support there is for games like this still. I'm glad the genre still gets love!

rob305

YEEESSSS!!!!!
The only thing I dont like is that everything is floating, I hope this is only because its a prototype and that the actual level design will have mountains or something on the edges of the map

I saw the 2D art first and was disappointed, but the characters grew on me within moments of seeing them in game. The traversal mechanics look delicious. I'm about to sign up for Kickstarter now :]

Reading this thread makes me super happy, how much support there is for games like this still. I'm glad the genre still gets love!

Yes. I distinctly remember a period of my life... like around 2008-2012, where I would regularly google "3d platformer revival" without results. I'm so happy it's happening.

Top Bottom