• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

People getting excited about platforming mechanics like the tongue and rolling should go back and play BK.

Platforming mechanics are basically irrelevant to what made those games good, considering how infrequently they were applied. What playtonic should be explaining are how open the environments are, example objectives, collectibles, etc, things that are much more relevant to determining the quality of a Banjo successor.

.Anema

Holy shit, can't wait.
I want to give them all my money hahahaha daaaaaaaaamn, this is like a dream.
AND A BIG FCK YOU MICROSOFT AND RARE!

PSqueak

Banned
Their individual names are cool, but i don't like how they sound together as the game names.

Then i got the pun, and smiled. and felt dumb. Still think they could do better.

Do we have absolute 100% confirmation that they're both male?

I was really really REALLY hoping for Yooka to be female. Design still looks like Yooka could be a girl. Believe!

Neiteio

People getting excited about platforming mechanics like the tongue and rolling should go back and play BK.

Platforming mechanics are basically irrelevant to what made those games good, considering how infrequently they were applied. What playtonic should be explaining are how open the environments are, example objectives, collectibles, etc, things that are much more relevant to determining the quality of a Banjo successor.
The "game feel" looking so good is part of why people are excited. Yeah, BK was endearing for many other reasons, but gameplay is still paramount. It looks like an improvement on BK in that regard. Since getting the gameplay right is the trickiest component of any game, I trust that the rest will come together well enough.

Skidd

Yup, looks really nice. Already looks more promising than some other high profile Kickstarted games.

Curios to see how many (new and interesting) mechanics there will be.

Yooka-Laylee is a bad name, but Banjo-Kazooie wasn't.

I don't get you, people.

Yooka and Laylee are not real words, it looks like the pronunciation of Ukulele pulled from an online dictionary. Banjo and Kazoo are real words, they just slapped ie on the end (which is a fairly typical way to make something sound softer/cuter than it is).

SparkTR

uh, it's probably, yknow, in the giant logo

yookatweetjpg-ec2c31.jpg

Well damn.

hydruxo

It's early man haha. I'm sure there will be plenty of in-depth info when the Kickstarter launches tomorrow.

Broritos

Banjo and Kazooie never looked cute. I'm not really feeling these new cute characters if they're supposed to be a spiritual successor to Banjo and Kazooie. I hope one of them is secretly an asshole.

PSqueak

Banned
Yooka-Laylee is a bad name, but Banjo-Kazooie wasn't.

I don't get you, people.

Most people are being negative about them being this blatantly pandering to the Banjo-Kazooie nostalgia.

Not to mention this gives ammo to all the nay sayers that accuse the team of trying to bank on being one trick ponies.

Wavebossa

Excellent game name.

For the rest, i'll hold my tongue till I see more.

Yooka and Laylee are not real words, it looks like the pronunciation of Ukulele pulled from an online dictionary. Banjo and Kazoo are real words, they just slapped ie on the end (which is a fairly typical way to make something sound softer/cuter than it is).

Yooka and Laylee are the names of the characters... They don't have to be real words....

All your post does is define how this name is not the same as Banjo Kazooie. Doesn't mean its a bad name. After all, Banjo Kazooie no better of a name than Flute n' Harpie

The "game feel" looking so good is part of why people are excited. Yeah, BK was endearing for many other reasons, but gameplay is still paramount. It looks like an improvement on BK in that regard. Since getting the gameplay right is the trickiest component of any game, I trust that the rest will come together well enough.

The objectives, collectibles, and whatnot are a just as large, if not larger component of the gameplay than the actual game feel of the protagonist, though. Banjo generally had moves that were used slowly and with tons of end lag, which precluded tight platforming challenges for more minigame and objective focused gameplay. Without showing us examples of objectives or the context through which the character's actions are applied, it doesn't really mean much for how fun the game is.

Leflus

Looks great!

I'm glad that they're targeting all of the major platforms. This is going to be the first game I support through kickstarter. :)

maxcriden

Wow, they are going in hard for the B-K style. And who better than these guys to do it? That's awesome. It looks rad. I mean, the vid is a bit bare-bones potentially but it's gotta be in alpha at best so that only makes sense. High hopes for this game!

Awesome! :D

My only complaint with the footage is the camera, it follows the characters a bit too much during the jumps. But it's so early, there's plenty of time to refine it.

Breakless

Banned
At first I was skeptical about the main character being a reptile.........all that is gone.

Love the characters. Love the name. Love the gameplay. And most of all love the team. 110% backing this project!!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
C-cute.

Sort of wish they reversed the genders and had the girl in the lead this time (or are they both guys?), but oh well. Playing Donkey Kong 64 right now, and Rare gave each Kong a TON of character---hoping they still have that flair.

I hope Playtonic reads GAF, and has checked out my Banjo-Kazooie/DK64 thread. Not to toot my own horn, but I feel I definitely found and diagnosed a lot of issues that bothered people about DK64 and Tooie, and I hope Rare doesn't repeat those mistakes here. Don't throw in a ton of weird FPS-junk, please!

meh. Looks like any other low-tier mascot game/rip-off or shovelware.

Hopefully Banjo on One really is a thing. Something like this needs proper budget and less clinging on to the worst 90s tropes for nostalgia.

morikaze

Banned
Only change I'd recommend is make the collectibles more memorable like the music notes, etc., in Banjo-Kazooie. It's possible those are just placeholder items, so hopefully they'll make them more interesting than coins.

Hopefully they just use notes again. What's stopping them really?

shandy706

Don't like the floating in air level design. It worked for a lot of Mario 64 and Galaxy levels though.

I prefer, level design wise, things like Conker and Banjo.

They seem to have a good amount of abilities/moves.

Lijik

Did you seriously just say platforming mechanics are irrelevant for a 3d platformer?

Will more than likely back, people are saying it looks bare bones but that video is seriously just a proof of concept like hey check it out this is what we have so far kind of thing. I would assume it is in no way representative of the final product.

If they change the genders from male to female on at least Laylee, I'll 100% back. Or I'll back and make that feedback in whatever backer forum they will hopefully have. Either way, looks good and I'm glad it's coming to the bone. Hopefully a home where I can have Banjos, Kazooies, and Ukeleles.

NimbusD

I kinda wish it wasn't such a clear copy of Banjo in so many ways. Felt the same way about Mighty No. 9. I know they designed the originals too but it makes it look like the designers are one trick ponies.

This was a first thought I had. It's pretty shameless about it, down to the name of the game. But to be fair, it's been what, 15+ years since a proper Banjo game? I'm okay if it's just an updated Banjo game with new characters. It's not like there's anything really on the market like that right now.

They have a Duck Hunt Due-sort of feel to them, which I like.

Oh man, if only Nintendo was on top of it, they could have snatched these guys up for a Duck Hunt starring Banjo clone.

I mean, either way, the characters could be a tire and a soda can and I'd still be excited.

gai_shain

People saying it looks bland, how long are the guys at playtonic working on the game? A few months? There are going to be changes and this is as far from a final build as it could be

TheJoRu

Lol, the fan service couldn't possibly be less subtle.

GIVE IT TO ME NOW! Footage looks great, excellent in-game models.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Did you seriously just say platforming mechanics are irrelevant for a 3d platformer?

What he's saying is how a lot of Banjo-Tooie and DK64 basically weren't so much platforming, as opening switches and playing mini-games...

There were quite a bunch of cool moves, but ultimately a lot of the platforming moves in those games weren't even required really most of the time---it was the unlockable moves you ended up using more often than not, and many times those moves strayed away from platforming.

No matter how many fun platforming moves you give the characters, ultimately if there's not really a sense or need to use them often, it feels superficial. Mario 64 I still think nailed actually making great use of platforming skills far more than Banjo and DK64 did.

MrBadger

Most people are being negative about them being this blatantly pandering to the Banjo-Kazooie nostalgia.

Not to mention this gives ammo to all the nay sayers that accuse the team of trying to bank on being one trick ponies.

Look at all this criticism that wouldn't be given to the actual Rare if they were making an actual Banjo Kazooie.

I don't think it matters that they're blatantly just making a Banjo game with new characters because I'm pretty sure there's a demand for a new one and that's basically what they set out to do in the first place.

Chuckman

Man I hope that camera that bobs up and down as the characters jump to each platform goes away. I just about got motion sickness just from the video. I'm hyped for this game. I hope it's great! Will be curious to check out the Kickstarter.

not for a 3d platformer.

For banjo.

Banjo has decreased platforming emphasis compared to something like Mario. A vast majority of banjo's objectives are related to minigames, combat, or other objectives as opposed to solely jumping.

Top Bottom